#2062328 03/12/24 11:09 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Brad Stainbrook
@StainbrookNFL
·
2m
#Browns are closing in on a deal with Jameis Winston. No Joe Flacco.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
No Flacco apparently

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
While the specific name of Jameis Winston wasn't on my radar, not getting Flacco back was. I guess the Browns couldn't work out a deal, or didn't try to work out a deal after Flacco made it clear coming back and playing for the Browns was his #1 choice.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
[Linked Image from media1.tenor.com]

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Tampa signed our first overall QB and we signed theirs.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Meh. Maybe even meh squared.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
decent backup if watson gets hurt

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
I would rather have Flacco but am ok with Winston.

How we do is up to DW and the defense. If it comes down to the play of a backup qb were are probably in trouble.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I wasn't expecting to get Flacco back, and I wasn't convinced at all with the recent reports of Flacco pushing to come back (I was chalking that up to pre-FA posturing).

Famous Jameis is a strong signing as far getting a guy in here that SHOULD be able to come in and keep the offense rolling, if needed (hopefully not).

What I find interesting about bringing in (and the success he had) Flacco and now Winston when our starter is Watson. I acknowledge that beggars can't be choosers (talented QBs don't fall from trees), but I would think they would try to get a guy that maybe matches Watson's skillset a little better than a Flacco or Jameis.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
R
Legend
Legend
R
Wonder what the backstory is on not bringing back Flacco.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't know, a backup got the Browns to the playoffs this year. If a backup has to fill in for four or five games his performance may very well make the difference whether your team makes the playoffs or not no matter when that five game stretch happens. If you're speaking in terms of expecting your backup to play through the playoffs and in the SB I agree with you. But not so much during the regular season.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Rishuz

He's going to be 40. I think that's pretty much it. His last game didn't help.

Winston is an interesting choice. We'll see how it goes.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
O
Legend
Legend
O

It's an assumption, but I have had a hard time believing Flacco actually wants to come back on the cheap to be a backup.

Probably didn't help that Winston is younger and (I assume) cheaper.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
L
Legend
Legend
L
well atleast we have someone who can turn it over like Joe did, but Winston has proven he can sling it, def better than the other two scrubs we had last year

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
It's a good signing for us. I wouldn't want JW to be our #1 but as a backup it's a good choice. If DW gets hurt JW is more than capable. He's younger more mobile and has a strong arm.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 03/12/24 12:01 PM.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
It's a good signing for us. I wouldn't want JW to be our #1 but as a backup it's a good choice. If DW gets hurt JW is more than capable.

If Flacco goes unsigned or somewhere else for peanuts, then I'll question this move more.

-PrplPplEater
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
I have not followed Winston's career but in his 4 seasons with NO, there is not much to judge him on...Jameis Winston 1st QB w/ 30 TDs & 30 INTs in a Season | NFL 2019

The last 4 yrs are a bit of a mystery... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jameis_Winston#NFL_career_statistics

When it comes to leadership and producing wins...Winston registered...

0 decisions in 2020
5w-1L in 2021
1w-2L in 2022
0 decision in 2023

No idea what the front office saw in this guy. He is a 'veteran project'.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I for one am glad it’s not Flacco. That’s a QB controversy in the making. A couple bad games and people calling for the backup. Used to be annual tradition in Cleveland. Its Much less likely with Winston than after the love affair Cleveland had with Flacco.

That said, if Watson goes down long term or for the season, I selfishly hope Flacco is still sitting on the scrap pile ready to collect comeback player of the year #2. I just don’t want him sitting on the bench and Watson hearing the calls and looking over his shoulder.

This is Watson’s make-break year. This is it. Not that we’ll be done with him after this year but we’ll know with high confidence by this time next year whether we’re solid or we’re screwed. They need to do everything possible to help him be successful. Maybe even getting him some regular massages? 👿 What, too soon?

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
M
Legend
Legend
M

Zegura, on CBD, intimated that a contributing factor may have been the love fans have for Flacco and the concern that is Watson struggled early, the calls for Flacco to replace Watson would be loud. The Browns wanting to avoid any QB controversy, decided to go in another direction.

The new offense and Flacco's age were also discussed as possible factors.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

I would have hoped that signing the QB who gives the Browns the best chance to win would of been the Browns #1 priority.

One QB had already proven himself as a QB capable of leading Stefanski's offense and winning games helping the Browns to a playoff birth.

Winston is an unknown ...the best Stefanski can hope for with Winston is to HOPE HE CAN STILL PLAY.

I doubt that Winston gives Watson any pressure for the starting QB job.

As if Stefanski needed anymore to do...he now has two veteran QBs to teach his offense to.

Last edited by mac; 03/12/24 05:25 PM.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I would venture there is actually a priority above win at all costs this year, or any year for that matter and that is you can’t trash your biggest investments in the process. As I said in my last post, it’s the franchises highest interest to make sure Watson succeeds, as well as humanly possible. And that means not making him look over his shoulder and hear chants and read articles calling for the backup. Truth is, if Watson flames out, the odds of getting to promised land are beyond remote with a backup. Therefore.. your best chance to “win now” is to nurture Watson.

Also, Flacco is turnover machine. I love the guy and the city sure loves him. But I encourage people to be real. He will keep us in games but eventually he will give it away. Other teams have confidence now that they can jump his passes and force errors and they’re not wrong. Maybe we get further with him than another backup but the big prize ain’t happening either way. Don’t piss in your own well trying to win consolation prizes.

Last edited by 10YrOvernightSuccess; 03/12/24 05:57 PM.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Flacco was great story- last year.....how'd Texans do second time against Flacco---- I dislike Winslow pickup- his character is less than stellar- free King Crab Legs while at FSU and dirty mouth-- I'd pass on him EVERY time-- Watson is the man, we sink or swim with him.....GO Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend
That is what I am saying.

Flacco and Winston are capable backups. Either guy could step in and maybe win a few games.

But the playoffs are a different animal. Both Flacco and Winston are experienced guys who were starters. That is what I like in backups.

At the same time they are no longer starters and both have the tendency to throw pics. If they were forced to start in the playoffs. I would not be too fired up about winning.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: FL_Dawg
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Well if the goal was to find a QB bad enough to ensure the fans never want to see him play, regardless of how crappy Watson is, then Winston was a home run.

Neither of these guys could hold Joe Flacco's jock strap.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by hitt
Flacco was great story- last year.....how'd Texans do second time against Flacco---- I dislike Winslow pickup- his character is less than stellar- free King Crab Legs while at FSU and dirty mouth-- I'd pass on him EVERY time-- Watson is the man, we sink or swim with him.....GO Browns!!!!

I've read a handful of places that Winston has grown up considerably after having eaten some humble pie after his stint with the Bucs.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by GraffZ06
Well if the goal was to find a QB bad enough to ensure the fans never want to see him play, regardless of how crappy Watson is, then Winston was a home run.

Neither of these guys could hold Joe Flacco's jock strap.

Pretty much sums up my feelings... not a fan of Jamies... have really never liked him much... hope he never sees the field...

Would rather have Flacco as back up

<><

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
While the specific name of Jameis Winston wasn't on my radar, not getting Flacco back was. I guess the Browns couldn't work out a deal, or didn't try to work out a deal after Flacco made it clear coming back and playing for the Browns was his #1 choice.

It could have been a 2 way deal. Not to mention is it isn't a good situation that your back-up QB is a fan favorite, but we don't need to get in to those dynamics.

I like Winston. I think he is a perfect choice to be the back-up.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
M
Legend
Legend
M

Cheap.

Tackles are tackles.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
I would venture there is actually a priority above win at all costs this year, or any year for that matter and that is you can’t trash your biggest investments in the process.

Also, Flacco is turnover machine.

10yr...I find it absolutely NUTS, that those running this franchise would invest in losing by signing a QB as Watson's backup, who has done next to nothing on the football field over the last 4 seasons.

The last season that Winston played as a starter (2019), he threw 30 interceptions and had 12 fumbles...and you call Flacco a turnover machine... banghead

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This is entirely about the fact that you have to go cheap when you're paying Watson $230M. You also can't bench him, regardless of how bad he's playing, with that salary so you CAN'T have a backup worth a damn (heaven forbid fans hurt his precious ego, he might need to unwind and get another massage).

Nothing about this has anything to do with winning. If it was, we'd have signed Flacco and benched Watson's sorry ass. Same old Browns.

Last edited by GraffZ06; 03/13/24 10:12 AM.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by mac
I would venture there is actually a priority above win at all costs this year, or any year for that matter and that is you can’t trash your biggest investments in the process.

Also, Flacco is turnover machine.

10yr...I find it absolutely NUTS, that those running this franchise would invest in losing by signing a QB as Watson's backup, who has done next to nothing on the football field over the last 4 seasons.

The last season that Winston played as a starter (2019), he threw 30 interceptions and had 12 fumbles...and you call Flacco a turnover machine... banghead

I think you're overlooking 2021. His stats (and record, 5-2) were pretty good (as shown in the tweet Memphis linked.) The Saints leading receiver that season was Marquez Callaway (I.e, it was an ...underwhelming... group.) Thomas missed that entire season. Winston was starting before getting injured on one of those hip drop/"horse collar" tackles from behind.

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by 10YrOvernightSuccess
Maybe even getting him some regular massages? 👿 What, too soon?

Not too soon. Just a llittle sick, twisted and tasteless.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: lampdogg
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

Doing some research to learn more about Winston's NFL history and trying to find out how Winston's career went from being a promising young QB during his first 5 seasons only to be reduced to a backup role the last 4 seasons.

2017... Week 6 against the Cardinals, Winston left the game with an apparent right shoulder injury. The next day, October 16, it was confirmed that Winston had suffered a sprained AC joint in his right shoulder. He missed the next three games due to the injury and returned in Week 13.

2018...On June 21, the NFL announced that he would be suspended for violating the league's personal conduct policy, regarding his latest incident where he allegedly groped a female Uber driver. On June 28, the announcement was made official, giving Winston a three-game suspension to begin the 2018 season

On February 28, 2020, it was revealed that Winston underwent surgery to repair a torn meniscus.
It was also revealed that Winston had LASIK surgery.
We also learned that Winston was dealing with the knee injury and a broken thumb for the entire 2019 season

On April 28, 2020, Winston signed a one-year contract with the Saints.
In 2020, Winston appeared in 4 games and threw only 11 passes, completing 7 passes.

2021... March 15, 2021, Winston re-signed with the Saints on a one-year deal.
Week 8 against the Buccaneers, Winston had to leave the game in the second quarter due to a knee injury. Winston had suffered a torn ACL and had MCL damage, ending his season.

2022... On March 21, 2022, Winston signed a two-year, $28 million contract extension with the Saints.
September 18, it was reported that Winston suffered four fractures in his back in Week 1.
Winston played the first three games before being inactive in Weeks 4 and 5. After returning, Winston was named the second-string quarterback behind veteran Andy Dalton.

2023... On March 14, 2023, Winston re-signed with the Saints..played backup QB to Derek Carr.
He appeared in seven games but only contributed significantly in two in the 2023 season. He passed for two touchdowns and three interceptions on the season.

Last edited by mac; 03/13/24 11:09 AM.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

Cheap.

Compared to Sam Darnold and his one year, $10MM doozy.

Tackles are tackles.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
[/quote]

I think you're overlooking 2021. His stats (and record, 5-2) were pretty good (as shown in the tweet Memphis linked.) The Saints leading receiver that season was Marquez Callaway (I.e, it was an ...underwhelming... group.) Thomas missed that entire season. Winston was starting before getting injured on one of those hip drop/"horse collar" tackles from behind.[/quote]

Bull...I just posted a summary of Winston's NFL career and it is obvious that his ability to remain healthy and on the field has been a major challenge for him...especially the last 4 seasons.

Winston's durability has to be a concern for the Browns, though I doubt they would ever acknowledge it.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Combine that with the Browns strength and conditioning staff, and we are in big trouble.

#chairyoga

5 members like this: Ballpeen, jfanent, ScottPlayersFacemask
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Joe Flacco’s Reason For Not Resigning With The Cleveland Browns Is Stunning

Daniel FisherBy Daniel FisherMarch 13, 2024
link

Many Cleveland Browns fans were hit with the reality on Tuesday that Joe Flacco will not be back on the team after they signed New Orleans Saints backup quarterback Jameis Winston.

All Cleveland Browns Fans loved Joe Flacco

Flacco led the Cleveland Browns to the playoffs after starting quarterback Deshaun Watson was lost for the season in November with an injury. One time, Flacco was one of Brown’s biggest rivals, being the starting quarterback with the Baltimore Ravens, but now he is the hero they never saw coming.

Browns fans wanted Flacco to return to the team as a backup, and some even wanted him to start since they weren’t fans of Watson, but that would never have been possible unless Watson wasn’t ready to start the season because of his injured shoulder

The Cleveland Browns made Flacco’s decision very easy if he wanted to return to Cleveland because they never even offered him a contract.

Flacco Never Saw A Deal

According to Joe Flacco’s agent, Joe Linta, the Browns never offered Flacco a contract. It seemed like the Browns had no interest in bringing back the 39-year-old quarterback to any deal, and Winston was their number one guy to be their backup quarterback this season.

The reality is that Flacco is 39, and even though he played well for the Browns in the second half of last year’s season, there was still a reason he was sitting on his couch so late into the season.

Sadly, Flacco’s run had to end in a playoff loss against the Houston Texans, where he threw back-to-back pick-sixes. Still, every Browns fan is very grateful he was able to step in at a time when many people were losing hope when injury after injury kept happening for the team.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Sign Jameis Winston

Link Copied to Clipboard