Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
Originally Posted by PitDawg
I live in Tennessee. My vote never does anything. The hardliners always get elected here. Nobody I will vote for will be elected. There has only actually been one exception since I moved here. Gov. Bill Haslam when he was running for governor. There was no doubt a Republican would win and he was a very moderate, common sense Republican. Given the alternatives I supported him and he was the governor. Things have gone downhill since.

Those two ideas would appear to be contradictory.

My question was "Does it matter who you vote for?" Pit just said "My vote never does anything." Answering yes to the question while making the latter statement doesn't seem to be clear and obvious to me. Just saying.

The only things that seem clear and obvious to you are things that aren't clear and obvious. Who I vote for is important. Voting your conscience is always important. As a matter of fact having been raised by a former Master Sergeant it was drilled into my head the importance of voting. How many people had died to preserve and protect that right for me and all of us. That is was my patriotic duty to vote. So it not only matters that I vote but who I vote for.

The fact that it has no bearing on who wins the election is a totally different matter. Hopefully that helps clear up any confusion you may have had.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not going to chase after your follies all day. You asked a basic question and I answered it. This isn't a game of 20 questions. At some point one would think people had outgrow that game. If there are specific questions from your link you would like answered, post them.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: PerfectSpiral
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I'm not going to chase after your follies all day.

You have been responding all day. Your characterization of my posts as follies is another example of gaslighting.

You asked a basic question and I answered it.

As usual, you took one thing from a post out of context and pretended it was everything to address. The question was intended to be rhetorical with the link that followed providing a different framework for looking at the question. As you never looked at the link, you missed my intent. In your rush to contradict me, you didn't receive the message I was sending. Unfortunately, communication isn't a one way process. I can't make you participate.

This isn't a game of 20 questions. At some point one would think people had outgrow that game.

I don't know. Games can be fun. Would you answer all the questions if we were playing 20 questions?

The "games" you like to play on the forums are the opposite of fun. I wish you would outgrow those.

If there are specific questions from your link you would like answered, post them.

The whole article goes together. Individual questions would lack the associated context. I would like your (and others') feedback on the entirety. I know you tend to cherry pick individual things and ignore the rest, but could you try reading everything before jumping to a conclusion?

edit: Re-link for ease of access: https://www.lowimpact.org/categories/the-democracy-problem

Last edited by Bull_Dawg; 04/01/24 03:11 PM.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted by Swish
Nah I remember it clearly. You tried to be all non-committal, and even after the election tried to dodge the question, until of course a Hillary post by someone triggered you into finally admitting you voted for him.

You don’t remember? I said at the time Hillary must have dumped you back in high school and all that.

Pepperidge farm remembers.

No. You are mistaken.

In the primary, I did not vote for trump.

In the general, I DID vote for Trump because he wasn't Hillary.

But, what's it matter anyway?

Legend
Legend
nothing, it was just a memory that got brought up since Bull is....well, now he's saying he doesnt vote ballot candidates, so now he just writes everyone's name in?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
https://civileats.com/2024/03/26/in...st-powerful-families-in-the-food-system/

Originally Posted by excerpt
But Barons, which took Frerick five years to write, is not a memoir. It’s a detailed look at seven families that have risen to power within the food industry and, more importantly, the story of the system that has allowed them to concentrate power, reap enormous profits, and shape our political landscape. He digs into the policies that allowed white farmers to displace farmers of color in the 20th century and contrasts the “New Deal Farm Bill”—his term for the bill as it was originally intended—with today’s “Wall Street Farm Bill.”

Interesting read. Formatting doesn't translate well, so went with just the excerpt.

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
It does matter who we vote for. I don't care that you somehow think anything you posted would change that. Your question was answered. Just because it didn't focus on your reasoning doesn't matter.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Yep…proving the point that your vote matters more than ever before.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral

Except, in a lot of ways, it doesn't because the people you vote for aren't actually the ones making the decisions. Or perhaps they are only allowed to make certain decisions within a limited span. Non-elected officials set things like interest rates. Elected officials are funded by corporate interests and are constrained by those interested parties desires if they want to be re-elected.

The article explains/explores these ideas a lot better than I'm going to be able to while pecking at my phone.

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
There are certainly things you can point to that may not change or make a huge difference according to who you vote for. There are also many things people can point to that shows there's a vast difference in who you vote for. Putting some things in a vacuum while failing to address the other things only paints a portion of the picture.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There are certainly things you can point to that may not change or make a huge difference according to who you vote for. There are also many things people can point to that shows there's a vast difference in who you vote for. Putting some things in a vacuum while failing to address the other things only paints a portion of the picture.

Thanks for coming around to what I've been saying for awhile.

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
It wasn't me suggesting people ignore everything about your question except the the topics covered in your link.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It wasn't me suggesting people ignore everything about your question except the the topics covered in your link.

No, but it was you ignoring everything in the link and addressing the question in a vacuum. rolleyes

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Actually quite the opposite. Looking at something in a vacuum is what happens when you only look at specific things while ignoring everything else. Looking at something in its totality is the opposite of looking at things in a vacuum.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Actually quite the opposite. Looking at something in a vacuum is what happens when you only look at specific things while ignoring everything else. Looking at something in its totality is the opposite of looking at things in a vacuum.

How does one look at the totality while ignoring things?

Definitely feels like some tail wagging the 'dawg logic.

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
You pointed out specific things with which your question was based on. Your assertion was that we look at the topics you wished to use while ignoring others. Which is why I and Spiral both answered, yes it matters who you vote for and your claim was that we didn't look at the specific topics in the link you posted. That's because we were addressing the question in its totality. At this point the only logical explanation I can come up with for all of your double talk is that you are purposefully being obtuse.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Good to know that you didn't actually read the article you linked.

Oh no! Not again! rofl

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Actually I did but I expect this type of behavior from the trump squad. The whole birds of a feather thing.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
What's a "Trump Squad"?

Anyone that doesn't agree with you??

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You pointed out specific things with which your question was based on. Your assertion was that we look at the topics you wished to use while ignoring others. Which is why I and Spiral both answered, yes it matters who you vote for and your claim was that we didn't look at the specific topics in the link you posted. That's because we were addressing the question in its totality. At this point the only logical explanation I can come up with for all of your double talk is that you are purposefully being obtuse.

What "others" did I want you to ignore?

I wanted you not to ignore things. How can you address a totality while ignoring aspects of the question and its context?

You not being able to come up with a logical explanation has no bearing on anything outside of you. I'll refrain from jumping to conclusions about your mental capabilities.

Do you care to expand on this that you said earlier?:

There are certainly things you can point to that may not change or make a huge difference according to who you vote for.

Fiercely Independent.
FATE #2064656 04/02/24 02:20 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Who doesn't actually agree with me here? You nor Memphis actually stated anything about that. What part about the actual topic is it that you disagree with?

If I asked you does it matter who you vote for would you isolate that into certain topics or look at everything in considering your answer to that question?

The only thing a couple of you have done is come in and take a cheap shot without addressing the topic at all. So I have no idea whether you do or don't agree with me nor the reasoning of why. I mean if you're going to come here and step in it, step all the way into it.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
What "others" did I want you to ignore?

From you reaction and your words everything that wasn't covered in your link.

Do you care to expand on this that you said earlier?:

There are certainly things you can point to that may not change or make a huge difference according to who you vote for.

I'll certainly comment on a couple of them. Campaign financing. They all want the big money corporate donors. The influence corporations have over domestic policies. That money gets rewarded.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
We'll try color by numbers:

Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Good to know that you didn't actually read the article you linked.

Oh no! Not again! rofl

Actually I did but I expect this type of behavior from the trump squad. The whole birds of a feather thing.

What. makes. them. the. "Trump Squad"???

FATE #2064660 04/02/24 02:30 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
None of you are voting for Biden are you? rofl

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Is that any of your business?

And how does that pertain to the discussion?

FATE #2064665 04/02/24 02:42 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
What discussion? Since when does someone staring off with a personal bard constitute a discussion? I gave what I got and of course you chose to confront the respondent. Typical.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
You've asked 18 questions and given no answers.

AKA... "Tuesday".

1 member likes this: MemphisBrownie
FATE #2064667 04/02/24 02:57 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I answered your question. Neither you nor Memphis addressed any part of the topic or discussion. Instead you are now attempting to make that a discussion. I actually invited you to join in the actual topic of the discussion which you refused to do. So no, averting the topic by trying to turn the persona barbs into a discussion isn't going to work. So let's try this again if you actually wish to join the discussion....

Who doesn't actually agree with me here? You nor Memphis actually stated anything about that. What part about the actual topic is it that you disagree with?

If I asked you does it matter who you vote for would you isolate that into certain topics or look at everything in considering your answer to that question?

The only thing a couple of you have done is come in and take a cheap shot without addressing the topic at all. So I have no idea whether you do or don't agree with me nor the reasoning of why. I mean if you're going to come here and step in it, step all the way into it.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

So no, averting the topic by trying to turn the persona barbs into a discussion isn't going to work.

[Linked Image from media4.giphy.com]

FATE #2064670 04/02/24 03:45 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Let me make it as clear as possible for those who have a comprehension problem. It was nothing more than a barb in retaliation to a previous barb. It seems you are having a problem understanding that.

And still nothing that addresses the actual discussion at the time.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Except, in a lot of ways, it doesn't because the people you vote for aren't actually the ones making the decisions. Or perhaps they are only allowed to make certain decisions within a limited span. Non-elected officials set things like interest rates. Elected officials are funded by corporate interests and are constrained by those interested parties desires if they want to be re-elected.

The article explains/explores these ideas a lot better than I'm going to be able to while pecking at my phone.

Well there is a way to fix this. I mean, if you REALLY want your vote to count.. If you really mean it. There is a way.

Dump the elector college. Don't need it.

Our voting systems are so damn good Everybody can make a difference now. (regardless of what the liars and other MAGA sacks of crap keep yelling about like little whiny babies) Putting electors in the mix just gives those with "Misdeeds in mind", another opportunity to screw with the WILL OF THE PEOPLE!

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
rofl

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Damanshot

Well there is a way to fix this. I mean, if you REALLY want your vote to count.. If you really mean it. There is a way.

Dump the elector college. Don't need it.

Our voting systems are so damn good Everybody can make a difference now. (regardless of what the liars and other MAGA sacks of crap keep yelling about like little whiny babies) Putting electors in the mix just gives those with "Misdeeds in mind", another opportunity to screw with the WILL OF THE PEOPLE!

...our systems are so damn good... that Trump got elected....

You didn't read the article, either, did you? I'm not a huge fan of the electoral college, but I'm not sure how you got there. I don't think getting rid of it would solve the problems mentioned in the article.

The "WILL OF THE PEOPLE," to me, would require better options on the ballot. The people that have been on there have definitely been against my will.

Unfortunately, Trump was such a goblin (...gremlin? ...ogre?) that the "will of the people" will support apparently literally anyone else.

Fiercely Independent.
FATE #2064717 04/03/24 11:41 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted by FATE
What's a "Trump Squad"?

The trump apologists here. “The trump squad”

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
“The "WILL OF THE PEOPLE," to me, would require better options on the ballot. The people that have been on there have definitely been against my will. “

All the more reason that makes your vote count. “We the people” select who’s on the ballot by voting in the primaries.

– Jackie Robinson
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes, one tenth of one percent higher than expected.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

On tenth? Time to start sacrificing children in the volcanos.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Swish

On tenth? Time to start sacrificing children in the volcanos.

No. You're missing the "fun with math" ideology of Pit's post. Up one tenth means up 4 tenths, but we already expected it to be up 3 tenths. It would be like if Buckeyes were favored by 21, beat the Hoosiers 24-0, and their fans saying "we only really lost by three"

And 4 tenths is on top of the outrageous increase in prices (in case you live in a cave), still going up, and still higher than anytime since 1984.

NOT that any of that matters. thumbsup

FATE #2065307 04/10/24 12:57 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
So despite all of your rhetoric, it increased a total of one tenth of one percent above expectations. Because no matter how much to twist it that's what I said.

#gmstrong
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus The economy……

Link Copied to Clipboard