Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/new...an-kirksey-to-retire-as-cleveland-browns

[Linked Image from static.clubs.nfl.com]
Higgins and Kirksey each played six seasons in Cleveland

BEREA, Ohio – WR Rashard Higgins and LB Christian Kirksey will sign one-day contracts and retire as members of the Cleveland Browns.

"We are thrilled that Rashard and Christian wanted to come back and retire as Cleveland Browns," said JW Johnson. "Both players obviously made an impact on the field, but they each made a lasting impression in the Cleveland community as well. It's a testament to who they are as individuals, and we are honored to have them retire as part of our Browns family."

Higgins was selected by the Browns in the fifth round of the 2016 NFL Draft. He played six seasons (2016-21) in Cleveland, appearing in 82 games and recording 137 receptions for 1,890 yards with 12 touchdowns. Nicknamed "Hollywood" by his pee-wee football coach, Higgins was a favorite amongst his teammates and with Browns fans, thanks in part to his infectious personality. He provided his best performances against AFC North Division rivals. His career high for receptions was set at Baltimore, his career high receiving yards came at Cincinnati and his only career multiple touchdown game was in Pittsburgh. A product of Colorado State, Higgins led the nation in 2014 with 1,750 receiving yards and 17 touchdowns receptions, both of which were single-season school records.

Higgins was extremely active in the Cleveland community volunteering at numerous youth football, military appreciation and Special Olympics events. He made a direct impact on the youth of Cleveland during school visits and organized bowling events to unite the community. During the NFL's My Cause, My Cleats initiative, he raised funds and awareness for the Down Syndrome Association of Northeast Ohio (2021), Providence House (2020), Animal Cruelty/Mesquite Animal Pawtners (2018) and kidney disease (2017).

A third-round selection in 2014, Kirksey played six seasons (2014-19) with the Browns. During that time, he appeared in 73 games and registered 463 tackles, 11.5 sacks, two interceptions, 16 passes defensed, four forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries. He served as a captain in each of his final three seasons with the club. Kirksey finished among the NFL leaders in tackles in 2016 (third with 143) and 2017 (fourth with 138). Following Cleveland, he played for the Packers (2020) and Texans (2021-22).

He was named the Browns 2018 Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year and also the Texans 2022 Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year, earning the rare distinction of being the nominee of two different teams for one of the league's most prestigious awards. Kirksey was also voted by the Cleveland media as the 2016 PFWA Dino Lucarelli Good Guy award winner.

Giving back to youth and social equality initiatives were important core focuses for Kirksey when volunteering his time in the community. He created the Kirkoland Foundation with the purpose to aid and encourage individuals to be them, be proud, be their own rockstar. Kirksey provided opportunities for local kids in need, including bowling events, youth football camps, fashion shows, bringing kids to Cedar Point and sporting events. Kirksey also dedicated numerous hours visiting neighborhoods in Cleveland and routinely met with kids at local recreation centers alongside of safety forces who work in the neighborhoods to promote unity.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Legend
Legend
Pretty, pretty, cool.

I loved Higgins, always came up big in big moments. I checked in on him last season and thought the end may be near.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Kirksey - good man, good leader.

I liked the Cedar Point detail.

1 member likes this: FORTBROWNFAN
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Luckily for Higgins he is leaving the game without any long term
Injuries. He was kinda over drafted but when you are the Browns
Since 1999 every year WR is a need. A better person than
WR by light years

L
Legend
Legend
L
Pretty cool they thought enough of their time here. Not every player is a perennial pro bowler, if guys like those two can carve out a career of being effective, lasting a bunch of seasons, not bad at all.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Bottomline- they played for Brown/White- they made their money- they both helped in the community=good citizens. Thanks. Go Browns

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend
I met Higgins one time at JC Penneys. He was buying a tuxedo lol.

Both guys gave us their all. Congrats

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
The Browns not too long ago were a team that players were ashamed to say they played for.

This speaks to the culture that Berry and Stefanski have built.

I love that former players are coming back. Reading what Garrett Wilson had to say about the unparalleled atmosphere playing in Cleveland is like. Should make all Browns fans feel proud.

Legend
Legend
Good stuff, Purp! Glad to see them retire as Browns. Solid players and community contributors. Proud to see it. Thanks for all the good.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Hollywood Higgins is my favorite WR since '99 (Pretty close with McCardell and KJ) He gets the nod for always coming up clutch. I still think if we weren't stubborn and threw to him more he could've been one of the best #3 WRs in the NFL. Not a super star but a solid 500 yard a year guy. Oh well. No real way of knowing with all the crazy stuff thats happened here since '99 haha.

I'm glad he'll retire as a Brown.

I honestly forgot about Kriksey lol, nothing against him tho, by all accounts was a good teamate and played his hardest for us. Glad to have him retire with us.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
My favorite WR since '99 was Dwayne Bowe. Nobody could stand on the sideline, observe the game and collect a hefty paycheck as well as him. Great team player!!!! thumbsup

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
My favorite WR since '99 was Dwayne Bowe. Nobody could stand on the sideline, observe the game and collect a hefty paycheck as well as him. Great team player!!!! thumbsup

Then Kenny Britt says "hold my beer!"

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
Kirksey was fast and a gamer, that’s what I remember most about him.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by FATE
Pretty, pretty, cool.

I loved Higgins, always came up big in big moments. I checked in on him last season and thought the end may be near.

While we can certainly criticize picks and even groups of picks that Berry has made, the fact that a guy like Higgins would have a tough time making this roster says a LOT about the body of work Berry has put in so far.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
the acquisitions of Bowe and Britt send me into nightmares lol

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by jfanent

My fave from back in the day was that fierce Klingon officer known as 'Captain Klang.'
He was known for playing "Quincy Morgan football."

"too many notes, not enough music-"
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum WR Rashard Higgins and LB Christian Kirksey to retire as Cleveland Browns

Link Copied to Clipboard