Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend
It all about roles. Ika and Hall will play two different roles. One plays the run in the 0 gap. The other plays the one gap as a three tech.

One plays in run downs the other plays in pass downs.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
Can we have both Hall AND IKa as developing DTs? How many DTs can we keep on the 53? I would think Ika and Hurst are very much on the bubble.

I agree on Ika, but Hurst showed up big time in a lot of plays last year. I remember some key belly rubs.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by bonefish
It all about roles. Ika and Hall will play two different roles. One plays the run in the 0 gap. The other plays the one gap as a three tech.

I appreciate your analysis there and you know more about those traits than do I...however...my issue is that there's no way that Tomlinson, Harris, Hurst, Jefferson, Ika AND Hall ALL make the 53. We are either going to cut a "reliable", "proven" vet OR last year's 3rd Rd gamble...AND that pick of Hall didn't land us a player who will help us win THIS year.

I like the player...I do not like the pick...then we snagged a 7th Rd DT project. I think this signals that Ika isn't what we thought he would be.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by dawglover05
Can we have both Hall AND IKa as developing DTs? How many DTs can we keep on the 53? I would think Ika and Hurst are very much on the bubble.

I agree on Ika, but Hurst showed up big time in a lot of plays last year. I remember some key belly rubs.

Me too...I know Hurst is injury prone...but we can only keep so many guys at one position (even if you call DT two positions)...and so many guys who are in developmental-mode.

Legend
Legend
I think Ika and maybe more in this group might be trade bait. Maybe during camp? We can't keep too many developmental experiments. We need some interior wrecking balls now.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
L
Legend
Legend
L

I appreciate your analysis there and you know more about those traits than do I...however...my issue is that there's no way that Tomlinson, Harris, Hurst, Jefferson, Ika AND Hall ALL make the 53. We are either going to cut a "reliable", "proven" vet OR last year's 3rd Rd gamble...AND that pick of Hall didn't land us a player who will help us win THIS year.

I like the player...I do not like the pick...then we snagged a 7th Rd DT project. I think this signals that Ika isn't what we thought he would be.
We had a ton of injuries on the line last year and Ika couldn't get on the field.. I'd be really suprised if he's on the team come cuts, maybe PS, Berry probably will hang on to him for atleast 3 years, production be damned. As far as hall goes, Schwartz played Garrett, Smith and Oko alot on passing downs, maybe Hall plays in that package

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
P
Legend
Legend
P
I understand the "hang on to him for at least 3 years, production be damned", but I think that's what we saw more so in days past. When your team lacks talent it's much easier to keep marginal players on your roster. After all, at that point there isn't better talent on the roster to force them off the team.

But as the talent level of your team goes up, so does the quality of your lower level players. It gets to the point just keeping developmental guys on the team that aren't developing doesn't work. The bottom of the roster is constantly churning and I think with a higher talent level on the roster which the Browns have certainly achieved, the bottom of the roster improves as well.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Legend
Legend
You beat me to it. I was just going to post that.

I think it is important to note that he was voted the best DL player from the "Senior Bowl Week" by the OLmen he faced.

This guy will play a big role in the Browns defensive packages.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Hall was a good solid pick with upside. So was Zinter. AB did the right drafting for our O and D-lines.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
great stuff from Baldy

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by leadtheway

We had a ton of injuries on the line last year and Ika couldn't get on the field.. I'd be really suprised if he's on the team come cuts, maybe PS, Berry probably will hang on to him for atleast 3 years, production be damned. As far as hall goes, Schwartz played Garrett, Smith and Oko alot on passing downs, maybe Hall plays in that package

I am not trying to start an argument or contradict you at all. This is a legitimate question. Wasn't Ika inured, at least part of last season? I swear I remember this, but no details.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I looked at what Andrew Berry had said last year about Ika

Berry noted after drafting the talented DT:

“I’ll call it a ‘Schwartzism. He (DC Jim Schwartz) wants guys to be as big as they possibly can, without sacrificing movement. For some guys at defensive tackle, that may be 305, and for others that may be 355. Siaki has been anywhere from 335 to 355. depending on what the scheme required. For us, we’ll work with him when he gets on site for what we’re going to ask him to do, but he has played effectively throughout that weight range.”

Another reference made last year:

“Love the way you play on tape. You play the way it should be played so we’re real excited about having you here. You’re not a dump truck anymore now, Apu. You’re a Ferrari. Let’s get going.”

“To be honest, I don’t know what it means. But, hey, I will do whatever he wants me to do. I will be a Ferrari. I will be a Chevy if you want me to be. It probably [means] just growing up, becoming a pro. So I’m definitely going to start looking at myself as a Ferrari now.”

The thing to note is Ika has a quick "get off" for his size at the snap of the ball. It could very well be that Ika and Hall have the same trait. Ika must get faster and needed to lose weight. Hall needs to add weight to become more stout.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk 2024 NFL Draft 2nd Round Pick - DT Michael Hall

Link Copied to Clipboard