Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Legend
Legend
O
I like the timing of our bye MUCH better than last season.

Honestly, I don't think I mind the gauntlet at the end of the season. At the bye, we should have a good idea of what this team is made of and expectations will be set accordingly (as a fan).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Sunday, September 8 - Dallas (4:25 FOX)
Sunday, September 15 - at Jacksonville (1:00 CBS)
Sunday, September 22 - NY Giants (1:00 FOX)
Sunday, September 29 - at Las Vegas (4:25 CBS)
Sunday, October 6 - at Washington (1:00 FOX)
Sunday, October 13 - at Philadelphia (1:00 FOX)
Sunday, October 20 - Cincinnati (1:00 CBS)
Sunday, October 27 - Baltimore (1:00 CBS)
Sunday, November 3 - LA Chargers (1:00 CBS)
OFF
Sunday, November 17 - at New Orleans (1:00 FOX)
Thursday, November 21 - Pittsburgh (8:20 PRIME)
Monday, December 2 - at Denver (8:15 ESPN)
Sunday, December 8 - at Pittsburgh (1:00 CBS)
Sunday, December 15 - Kansas City (1:00 CBS)
Thursday, December 19 - at Cincinnati (8:20 PRIME)
Sunday, December 29 - Miami (8:20 NBC)
Sunday, January 5 - at Baltimore (TBD)

A few thoughts:

I think that first game, if we play well, could really set the tone for the early season. You never want to put much stock in a game 1 as a bellwether but a national game against the Boys at home, could be a tone setter and help really get the home field advantage thing cranking.

3 road games in a row followed by 3 home games before the bye. At least it’s not an extended western tour like last year. For whatever reason we historically suck traveling out west. It sucks that the last 8 games are 5 road and 3 home. Double oof. Means we really are going to need those early wins.

You know the teams that are definitely going to be tough (Ravens, Chiefs) and the ones that will very probably be pretty mid (giants, raiders, saints), but the rest can break either way. No ones sure which Cowboys, Jags, Commanders, Eagles, Chargers Steelers, Bengals, or Dolphins will show up this season. There’s been a growing group of teams within a game of .500 all season every season over the last decade or so and any or all of these teams could be in that pool. My gut says the eagles, steelers and bengals will be tough this year. The rest I wouldn’t put a lot of money on. Cowboys, Chargers and Dolphins are the biggest ?’s for me. I thought by the end of last year the Boys and fish were a bit exposed. But we’ll see.

Of course I’d probably put the Browns in that same group as the Cowboys, Chargers and Dolphins. Looked like an epic defense early and then… not so much. Especially exposed in the playoffs. Like those teams and a few others, the season rides on a very athletic but inconsistent and injury prone QB who everyone recognizes has tons of potential but can’t seem to lock it down for a whole season. As he goes, so goes the team IMO.

I put even more stock in the notion the Browns will be very cautious early with Chubb. If I’m coaching, I want to do everything possible to have a full strength Chubb post bye. I’m also designing plays to limit Deshaun running in traffic. Especially early season. I could see them take a page from the Ravens and really try to officially establish the drop back passing game.

I make this prediction every year and it’s almost never wrong: we will lose spectacularly to some team most think we should beat handily and beat some team soundly that most money says we should lose to badly. Make your picks. Of course this is true of many teams but it’s just much less likely with the consistently good teams. Sometimes they lose to mid teams but it’s usually close with lots of mitigating circumstances.

The “and water is wet” prediction: AFC north is going to be extremely tough this year. The steelers will almost certainly in my mind be much tougher. The Bengals are going to play with a major chip this year. And the Ravens are the Ravens. Im reasonably happy with 3-3 this season.

Last edited by 10YrOvernightSuccess; 05/16/24 08:30 AM.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Ballpeen #2068450 05/16/24 09:14 AM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
If we can stay reasonably healthy this year, especially with DW, I can see us equaling our win total of last season. If not things could get difficult. Our division is the toughest in the league and we historically don’t do well against the AFC west. Time will tell but DW has to stay healthy and play well for it to be another playoff run. JMO

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
The downfall of finishing higher in your division is the cross-conference games based on Divisional standings...and now there are (3) instead of (2):

We play Miami...Cincy plays New England...Pitt plays Jets

We play New Orleans...Cincy plays Carolina...Pitt plays Atlanta

We play Jax...Cincy plays TN...Pitt plays Indy

If we want to be a Divisional threat...we gotta win games that we are SUPPOSED to win along with those we aren't.

P
Legend
Legend
P
With Dorsey revamping the O I would much rather see the easier part of the schedule early and the toughest part of it at the end. Hopefully the early part of the season will be used for the O to gel and by the later portion of the season they will be clicking on all cylinders when it's needed the most.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: Milk Man
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by oobernoober
I like the timing of our bye MUCH better than last season.

Honestly, I don't think I mind the gauntlet at the end of the season. At the bye, we should have a good idea of what this team is made of and expectations will be set accordingly (as a fan).

....and then 2 games later we have that Thursday to the following Monday break. A good opportunity to heal up for those last 6 games.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: oobernoober
R
Legend
Legend
R
Weber recreating one of the greatest moments in all of sports history!

Love it.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
one silver lining: we will face our division with (hopefully) Chubb

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Rishuz #2068475 05/16/24 03:23 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Rishuz

Love it.

For those of us who know nothing about pro bowling, can you explain? I didn’t understand who he was or what that was all about

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted by 10YrOvernightSuccess

Love it.

For those of us who know nothing about pro bowling, can you explain? I didn’t understand who he was or what that was all about
he's well known in the PBA for being an eccentric personality - like a showman with popular phrases and stuff

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Pete Weber is a HOF bowler. His father, Dick Weber is as legendary in bowling circles as Babe Ruth is in baseball.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Got it. I’m guessing it’s a very Cleveland-centric thing that people would be so familiar as to know all this at glance. I don’t think I know anyone who knows anything about bowling. When I grew up in Cleveland though, I do remember bowling being a sorta big deal with some older folks and that Cleveland generally was a big bowling place back in the day. Just seemed like a pretty odd reference. And that thing he says at the end, I did end up looking it up and seeing the video but it’s still so random and kind of awkward, especially for this. Whatever. Carry on.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I have no idea what the connection of bowling and/or Pete Weber is to Cleveland or the Browns. I’m not sure there is one.

However, Pete Weber was kind of like the John McEnroe of bowling. An accomplished bowler, he was also a colorful, feisty, trash talking player amongst a whole bunch of duds personality wise. He was easily angered by the slightest thing and would often lash out. In his most famous moment he lashed out at someone in the crowd, allegedly a young boy, who was making noise during his approach. To this day I don’t know if anyone has identified this boy or proven it was legitimate and not just something he was manufacturing to get himself riled up. But when he threw his final shot to win one of bowling’s major tournaments, he had worked himself up into such a frenzy he looked into the crowd in that boy’s general direction and yelled out “ who do you think you are!?…I am” complete with hand gestures. He meant to say something intelligible but it didn’t come out that way. This moment and phrase has become popular amongst athletes in all sports. Mahomes tweeted it out recently I think after their latest Super Bowl run.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
.... an eccentric personality ....

You are being way too kind. Maybe he has toned it down over the last few years, but he is/was a total jerk....

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

He is well down my list of the GOAT....

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Man, Adam Rank wasn't accurate until Week 8 and finished 4-13. Impressive.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F

A year ago, I thought about mortgaging my house to get out all the equity, placing it on this guy's predictions and rolling in the cash.

1 member likes this: MemphisBrownie
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by bbrowns32

He is well down my list of the GOAT....

I agree, but he is a HOF player.

His dad is probably the GOAT. Earl Anthony and a few others might have won more, but Dick was there in the beginning. He made the PBA. His name was on every ball, bag, and shoes back in the late 50's, early 60's.

As a kid, we would visit Toledo. My Grandparents always had the PBA on TV every Saturday afternoon. I was never a big fan of bowling, but have been in a few bowling leagues. At my best, one season I averaged 173. The best I could do. I was mostly a 160's bowler. Yep, I had a Dick Weber ball and bag.
Even today if I see it while running through the channels, I stop and watch.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I feel like i am one of few, demanding an answer. Why aren’t we playing in London?

I don’t buy the TG answer, Kraft wanted the London game, and they go to teams with 9 home games.

That is an absolute weak answer, if the Browns Backers Worldwide claim recognition and credibility, this was an absolute weak showing.

Browns fans were happy we don’t play internationally. I need you guys to do a lot better, neutral venue in Brazil was much better than playing in Philly.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Ballpeen #2068550 05/18/24 08:37 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Jason Belmonte is the best of all time.

Pete Weber is in the top 5.

Rishuz #2068554 05/18/24 10:22 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Jason Belmonte is the best of all time.

Pete Weber is in the top 5.

Belmonte is Top 5. Pete Weber maybe Top 10, maybe. Top 5 would include (IMO) Earl Anthony, Carmen Salvino, Ned Day, with Don Carter being the GOAT.....

Last edited by bbrowns32; 05/18/24 10:22 AM.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Ernie McCracken is one of the bowling greats, surprised he hasn’t been mentioned here...and let’s not forget the legendary Roy Munson.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
1 member likes this: AZBrown
R
Legend
Legend
R
Those guys are great but you didn’t even mention Walter Ray Williams, Jr…..the winningest player of all time.

For my money though I’m taking Belmonte. I know a lot of people look down on the two handers, but he has the most majors and is the most intimidating player on tour…if you can use the word intimidating about a bowler…LOL.

If anyone here follows bowling the sport is a lot of fun right now.

Rishuz #2068584 05/19/24 09:44 AM
Legend
Legend
Those guys are great but you didn’t even mention Walter Ray Williams, Jr…..the winningest player of all time.

For my money though I’m taking Belmonte. I know a lot of people look down on the two handers, but he has the most majors and is the most intimidating player on tour…if you can use the word intimidating about a bowler…LOL.

If anyone here follows bowling the sport is a lot of fun right now.

I watched Belmonte on TV the other day....haven't really watched any Bowling in many years. It's amazing how he can be so consistent with that delivery.

I used to watch back in the heyday of the weekly PBA tour TV shows. There were some real characters back then, some not mentioned already: Guppy Troup, Mark Roth, Amletto Monacelli, Parker Bohn III, Marshall Holman, Norm Duke, Nelson Burton Jr, Johnny Petraglia, Ernie Schlegel, etc. The annual event in Toledo drew the biggest stars of the time and I got to attend a few of these events at Imperial Lanes. It was great seeing stars like Mark Roth smoking, drinking and BSing between frames on the prelim nights. Oh, and Pete Weber was a real jerk.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #2068630 05/20/24 01:55 PM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Browns schedule and the Dawgs typing about bowling----WOW!!! He's a schedule question- we know when and where we are playing- mostly, last Baltimore game questionable.....here's my question---Our team is pretty set--our GM has had years putting it together- Coach has won two Coach of Year--we've made the playoffs---MY bottomline- as a 76 year old- I want our Browns in Super Bowl ONCE before I
leave this earth---schedule or not- time to produce---Super Bowl time.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum 2024 Schedule

Link Copied to Clipboard