Next Thread
Print Thread
#2070370 06/10/24 03:36 PM
A
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A
Bible school last week. Sadly, on Tuesday, the church received an anonymous threat via e-mail. Basically "I/we are going to kill all the children, bring gas, and burn them all and any adults we can."

The threat was taken appropriately. Doors were locked, extra 'security' was in place. Cops were notified, AND shown the e-mail. They couldn't trace it though.

Sunday morning, same threat with the only different part being "church goes", and not kids. Same thing/reaction from the church - doors locked, guards at the entrance that was open.

Pastor, each time, reached out to other churches in the area, and no other threats were received by any of them.

In an ironic way, pastor had reached out to me a few weeks ago asking if I was getting mailings from a church in a different town. I hadn't. He said "okay, it's probably a targeted mailing. Targeted at me." I asked him if it was from someone that HAD attended our church and left. He felt it was. He didn't KNOW that, though.

The threats did not stop Bible School, or the service on Sunday.

Just recently I had served on the safety and security committee. Our guidelines were followed. On the committee though, I was a tad disappointed one of my suggestions was nixed.

But, here in small town Ohio, threats about safety of church goers is real.

Thoughts?

Legend
Legend
The chance this threat would result in action is very slim. Doesn't matter, we've cross the Rubicon of "all things sacred" and anything can happen at any time.

Our church sent members to classes at a Tactical Academy. My father-in-law is a combat veteran and is armed (along with another member) during services on Sunday and other events. We're a small church (75-100 members), nothing prompted this other than news and another area church experiencing a near tragedy.

I also have a former employee's husband that has started a company with other officers that will train and advise threat assessment for any situation. They have specialized in school bus drivers and are receiving widespread acclaim for their services (as much as he loves being a cop, he's debating moving to part time because of how fast this business is growing).

Send me a message if you need more details. thumbsup

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
😪

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Link

If you have information about a possible threat to a place of worship or believe you are a victim of or a witness to a hate crime, contact your local law enforcement agency (911), then the FBI at www.fbi.gov/tips or 1-800-CALL-FBI (1-800-225- 5324). You can also report a hate crime, find resources and grant information, and learn more about the Department of Justice’s hate crimes prevention and enforcement work by visiting www.justice.gov/hatecrimes.

Last edited by Bull_Dawg; 06/10/24 08:48 PM. Reason: The Feds can probably trace an email better than the locals.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Bull_Dawg #2070395 06/10/24 08:47 PM
A
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A
Already been done.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
Legend
Legend
I'm sure people want to say "what a sick individual", but he's not sick....he's just a criminal. I hope they find him and throw the book at him with as little publicity as possible. What a loser.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: oobernoober
jfanent #2070401 06/11/24 06:06 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Second that.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Sorry to hear about this arch. Nothing can excuse an attempt to prevent people from worshiping as they so choose. I hope they quickly find out who is behind this and that they are dealt with appropriately.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
Bible school last week. Sadly, on Tuesday, the church received an anonymous threat via e-mail. Basically "I/we are going to kill all the children, bring gas, and burn them all and any adults we can."

The threat was taken appropriately. Doors were locked, extra 'security' was in place. Cops were notified, AND shown the e-mail. They couldn't trace it though.

Sunday morning, same threat with the only different part being "church goes", and not kids. Same thing/reaction from the church - doors locked, guards at the entrance that was open.

Pastor, each time, reached out to other churches in the area, and no other threats were received by any of them.

In an ironic way, pastor had reached out to me a few weeks ago asking if I was getting mailings from a church in a different town. I hadn't. He said "okay, it's probably a targeted mailing. Targeted at me." I asked him if it was from someone that HAD attended our church and left. He felt it was. He didn't KNOW that, though.

The threats did not stop Bible School, or the service on Sunday.

Just recently I had served on the safety and security committee. Our guidelines were followed. n the committee though, I was a tad disappointed one of my suggestions was nixed.

But, here in small town Ohio, threats about safety of church goers is real.

Thoughts?

Something about "Freedom of Religion" comes to mind. Hmmm? Now where'd I hear that from???

Keep us posted Arch. Hope they find the dirtbag.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Legend
Legend
That's truly sad. I hope they find those that made those threats. Hatred and intolerance in this country needs stopped

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
You should not have to be dealing with something like this. At all.

It's awful that a group of people are being subjected to terrorism like this.
It's abhorrent, and the person doing this deserves the strictest punishment allowable.

From the way you've described the timeline and your conversation w/Pastor, this thing sounds personal. Even so, when hate mail of this sort is sent, a threat to one is a threat to all. I'm certain that the pool of potential suspects is pretty shallow, and that this person is snatched up off the streets quickly. A mind that would choose to do something like this is best kept away from good people.

Sorry you're dealing with this.

Plz keep us up to date.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
A
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A
Just an update. I won't have all the details correct, so those that know computer stuff better may have questions I can't answer.

But, the e-mail came through our church's website. Local police said it's untraceable. A lady at church contacted google to see if they could share the address it came from. Google said no. User privacy.

Only option for us would be lawyer ing up and dragging google to court. Thousands, and maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars. Who knows?

We have changed some procedures at church, and because it was threats of mass murder, have taken some precautions.

I'm also on the building committee - we're planning a renovation soon. Cameras, and doors that can only unlocked (during the day) remotely are now on the list.

I was usher for the early service yesterday. Prior to the service, the sound guy came up to me. Now, he was a teacher of mine. Asked me if I was 'prepared'. I just said "I don't know. What do you think?"

I did spend more time in the halls than normal. In our church, being in the hall gives you sight of every entry. And the cops have increased patrols in the area, and actually drive into the parking lot.

Doubt we'll ever find out who it was.

jfanent #2072248 07/01/24 05:14 PM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
He's could be a she'd......or whatever a biological man and mentally female person is called now. Sad you can't go to church without threats.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
O
Legend
Legend
O
Unless the perpetrator really knew what they were doing, it should be easy to find them. Email is no longer the wild west, they can track most people down now.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 07/01/24 09:49 PM.

GM Strong!

Go Browns! Win it all!
Legend
Legend
Sounds like the church should hire its own hacker and visit this slime. Sorry you are going through this. Keep the faith, baby!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not sure this would help but it may be an avenue worth looking into. Such a threat as this may be breaking federal law as it pertains to a threat against religion and or may be what the FBI considers a terrorist threat. i know you come from a smaller community and it could very well be that your local law enforcement simply lacks the resources to track this down. If you haven't contacted the FBI and made a complaint to them it may be worth looking into.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2072364 07/02/24 01:16 PM
A
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A
It's been discussed.

And yes, I figured a threat (threats) such as the ones received would prompt a little bit deeper look.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I hope the FBI can help your church solve this problem. Religious persecution has no place in our society. All people of all religions should have the ability to congregate in peace without the threat of violence being imposed upon them.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Wouldn’t think they’d take that lightly in this day and age in America. Could be some kid trying to get out of family church time, could be a cuckoo-for-cocoa-puffs type thinking they need to act out against decent people. Hope they find them.

GM Strong!

Go Browns! Win it all!
A
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A
Well, someone has it in for the pastor/preacher/reverend, etc.

Now there's a scam going around: Supposedly him calling, texting people asking for cash or gift cards. Cops were called, again. And this morning I get an e-mail from the town stating as much: A scam going on supposedly involves a local pastor asking for cash or gift cards. It's not him, and it's a scam. Ignore the calls and texts."

Hope this person gets nailed.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I hope whoever it is gets nailed too arch. This is BS!

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Our Church

Link Copied to Clipboard