LOL...
https://thehill.com/homenews/media/5742205-cbs-denies-colbert-talarico-censorship/CBS is denying an accusation from Stephen Colbert, the network’s top comic and host of “The Late Show,” that it prevented him from airing an interview with Texas Democratic Senate candidate James Talarico.
Colbert during his Monday show told viewers that attorneys for CBS told him “in no uncertain terms” that “we could not have him on the broadcast,” referring to Talarico, a member of the Texas House.
“Not only could I not have him on, I could not mention me not having him on,” the host continued. “And because my network clearly does not want us to talk about this, let’s talk about this.”
CBS in a statement to The Hill denied Colbert’s account.
“The Late Show was not prohibited by CBS from broadcasting the interview with Rep. James Talarico,” a spokesperson for the network said. “The show was provided legal guidance that the broadcast could trigger the FCC equal-time rule for two other candidates, including Rep. Jasmine Crockett, and presented options for how the equal time for other candidates could be fulfilled.”It was “The Late Show” itself, CBS said, that “decided to present the interview through its YouTube channel with on-air promotion on the broadcast rather than potentially providing the equal-time options.”
The Hill reached out to “The Late Show” for comment.
The back-and-forth comes as President Trump’s Federal Communications Commission (FCC) chair, Brendan Carr, has floated doing away with a department rule that exempts daytime and late-night talk shows from the FCC’s equal-time protection, which dictates all candidates for public office receive equal time on public airwaves.
Colbert, during his monologue, tore into Carr, mocking his appearance and arguing he is motivated by a desire to please Trump.
“Let’s just call this what it is: Donald Trump’s administration wants to silence anyone who says anything bad about Trump on TV, because all Trump does is watch TV,” the host said.
FCC Commissioner Anna Gomez, a Democrat, also blasted Paramount, CBS’s parent company, over the dispute, saying it amounted to political censorship.
Paramount has made headlines with sweeping changes to its news division in recent months and last year canceled Colbert’s show, which is slated to come off the air this spring.
The broadcaster at the time said Colbert’s cancellation was necessary given rising financial pressures facing the company.
Critics accused the company of seeking favor with Trump as it sought the administration’s approval for a merger with Skydance. And on Tuesday, Paramount renewed talks with Warner Bros. Discovery to acquire its entertainment and news assets.