Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
One observation I’ve had that it seems the players like Monken and it shows with how hard they’re playing for him. I didn’t see that with KS the last two years.

For what it's worth, I think the guy is genuine and the players see him in that light. Good game.. Gotta give props to Watson. Honestly, I didn't think he had it..


#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,712
B
Legend
Offline
Legend
B
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,712
Originally Posted by waterdawg
I was referring to WR Isaiah Bond .. I was hoping to see more of him .. I saw flash's of talent last season in his limited playing time .

I like Bond as well. It just seems like the staff, at least at this point, seem to favor Fannin and the two rookies and they will get the bulk of the opportunities moving forward.


If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong




[Linked Image]
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,947
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,947
IMO the offense will evolve as each game is played.

This really is on the job training. DW hopefully will learn his receivers and know when to go to them.

Boston because of his catch radius has found a connection with DW. He is a big target who has great hands.

KC is the go to on quick routes. He is easy to find underneath because he has that shake to separate.

Bond is a guy who will threaten on deep routes. These take time and you want certain looks. The routes take longer and need good protection.

Fannin, Carson, Graham, Q, second year players.

Fano, KC, Boston, Barber, Warren, first year rookies.

That is a load of talent in two drafts.

There is a lot of talent on the Browns spread around the field.

If Watson can protect the ball and find the open guy on time. The Browns can win games.

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 15,092
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 15,092
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by waterdawg
I was referring to WR Isaiah Bond .. I was hoping to see more of him .. I saw flash's of talent last season in his limited playing time .

I like Bond as well. It just seems like the staff, at least at this point, seem to favor Fannin and the two rookies and they will get the bulk of the opportunities moving forward.

Did a quick AI but it looks legit. Two catches on two targets so far for Bond.

He'll see more turf when someone gets dinged; but I'd like to see a few more reps in the interim.


HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6,031
H
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
H
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6,031
Isaiah Bond is another talented WR. Our WR room is very deep right now and talented. I'm sure Monken will work Bond in and start giving him more targets. I think everyone including our coaches are surprised at how well our 2 rookie WRs are doing. Bond is a serious deep threat.

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 15,092
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 15,092
There is an embarrassment of riches at WR.

I can't believe I just typed that and meant it.


HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6,031
H
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
H
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6,031
Exactly and last season we had one of the worse WR rooms in the league. With a very good RT and a very good QB our O might rank top 10 IMO.

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,642
O
Legend
Offline
Legend
O
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,642
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Wild.


I imagine the Jax game is doing the heavy lifting in that stat.


"FIALURE IS NOT AN OPTION...!"

-mac
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,947
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,947
Rodgers is a HOFer.

However, his current behavior is not helping his team IMO.

His obvious acts of frustration appear to demean his head coach. At the same time he acts like he should be in charge of all offensive decisions.

Teams are made up of players mostly under thirty. There are veterans over 30 of course. It cannot be helpful having one player act like everyone else is an idiot.

The Steelers look like a team coming apart at the seams and Rodgers the guy who is cutting the threads.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 19,273
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 19,273
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
Our WR room is very deep right now and talented.

If your would have said that a few short weeks ago, you might not have survived the backlash.


And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 20,335
M
Legend
Offline
Legend
M
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 20,335


At DT, context and meaning are a scarecrow kicking at moving goalposts.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,408
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,408
Originally Posted by jfanent
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
Our WR room is very deep right now and talented.

If your would have said that a few short weeks ago, you might not have survived the backlash.

Yeah I'm not sure how Boston fell to us but I'm very glad he did lol.

Looks like the best of the class so far.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,692
P
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,692
Originally Posted by Psydeffect
Yeah I'm not sure how Boston fell to us but I'm very glad he did lol.

Looks like the best of the class so far.

I was shocked he was still there. I'm no draft guru by any means but I had him rated quite a bit higher than that. I didn't have him dropping out of round one. Closer to #25 than #39.


Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,408
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,408
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Originally Posted by Psydeffect
Yeah I'm not sure how Boston fell to us but I'm very glad he did lol.

Looks like the best of the class so far.

I was shocked he was still there. I'm no draft guru by any means but I had him rated quite a bit higher than that. I didn't have him dropping out of round one. Closer to #25 than #39.

Same here, just thought he was a sure fire first round pick with his size and hands.

I was pretty depressed when Tate was taken, but wasn't upset at all about the trade down to get Fano.

Wasn't thrilled with the Concepcion pick, but he has looked pretty good so I am now.

And I was really thrilled to get Boston where we got him, so no complaints.

And I have to admit I was wanting Berry fired a couple years ago, glad I'm not calling the shots on that either. 2 great drafts and looking like he hired a pretty good coach too.

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,909
M
Legend
Offline
Legend
M
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,909
The two of them work together complimenting each other. Smaller guy with (potentially elite) separation skills and twitch, a big guy with a catch radius and strong at the point of catch. I was very happy with both picks and as has been said surprised Boston fell to us.

Fano has been a great pick - and I would have been happy (almost wanted him more than Boston) to take McNeil Warren at 39 and was shocked he was still there at 58. Austin Barber has graded out at 62 so far - has played every snap. Hell of a draft back to back for Berry.

Last edited by mgh888; 10/05/26 03:39 AM.

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 20,335
M
Legend
Offline
Legend
M
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 20,335
Interesting to see the Browns are +2.5 against the Jets this Sunday.

No Breece Hall, Tim Patrick, or Omar Cooper for sure.

Status of Adonai Mitchell, Mason Taylor, starting guard Dylan Parnham are up in the air.

Geno is an average QB at best.


At DT, context and meaning are a scarecrow kicking at moving goalposts.
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 16,502
M
Legend
Offline
Legend
M
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 16,502
Vegas is ignoring recency bias and looking at the underlying metrics. Cleveland is overperforming with regards to their record when looking at their EPA/play, turnover differential, net yardage, etc...

Jets = +3 turnover margin

Browns = -1 turnover margin

Jets net EPA/play = +.12

Browns net EPA/play = -.20

Jets net total yardage = +89 yards

Browns net total yardage = -97

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,998
D
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,998
I am good to have them stay underdogs. They have been underdogs in all of the 1st 4 and won 3 of those games. Keep the chip on their shoulders as long as possible.

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,909
M
Legend
Offline
Legend
M
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,909
Some great analysis numbers there - Paul Depodesta would be proud, Mac might choke!

I guess this shows the Browns currently having a w/l record better than the sum of it's play on the football field. I'd argue this is where coaching makes a huge difference. I think you could argue over the last 4 previous years we've lost more games we were "ahead" in these types of analytics ... was that coaching also? At times it felt like it? Maybe it was just bad luck?

We might see the Browns regress to the sum of it's average? We might see an improvement in the metrics as the OL plays together, as the rookies learn and grow, as Judkins continues his road to recovery .... and for my money, if Monken can make the team believe - can prevent them from snatching defeat from the jaws of victory when we have the chance for a W ... we'll continue to be ahead of where virtually everyone predicted. It may not be above .500 come January. But 3 more wins from 13 games and we've beaten most predictions. Win versus the Jets and it will feel pretty damn good to be 4-1 no matter how we get there!


The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6,031
H
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
H
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6,031
I think the coaching the last couple of years had a lot to do with our poor play. Lack of adjustments during the game is right at the top IMO. Poor clock management is another. Our ST play is so much better.

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 16,502
M
Legend
Offline
Legend
M
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 16,502
Originally Posted by mgh888
Some great analysis numbers there - Paul Depodesta would be proud, Mac might choke!

I guess this shows the Browns currently having a w/l record better than the sum of it's play on the football field. I'd argue this is where coaching makes a huge difference. I think you could argue over the last 4 previous years we've lost more games we were "ahead" in these types of analytics ... was that coaching also? At times it felt like it? Maybe it was just bad luck?

We might see the Browns regress to the sum of it's average? We might see an improvement in the metrics as the OL plays together, as the rookies learn and grow, as Judkins continues his road to recovery .... and for my money, if Monken can make the team believe - can prevent them from snatching defeat from the jaws of victory when we have the chance for a W ... we'll continue to be ahead of where virtually everyone predicted. It may not be above .500 come January. But 3 more wins from 13 games and we've beaten most predictions. Win versus the Jets and it will feel pretty damn good to be 4-1 no matter how we get there!

There is definitely a market expectation that the Browns will regress to the mean.

A few examples:

FanDuel still has the Browns at +1100 to win their division, +390 to finish second in the AFCN, +180 for a 3rd place.

FanDuel has the Browns currently at +390 just to make the playoffs and -375 for them to miss the playoffs.

If anyone believes in this team, now is the time to throw some money at them. Just like Jimmy!

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,692
P
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,692
I believe they have outperformed expectations "to this point". Does that count? naughtydevil


Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 20,335
M
Legend
Offline
Legend
M
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 20,335
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Vegas is ignoring recency bias and looking at the underlying metrics. Cleveland is overperforming with regards to their record when looking at their EPA/play, turnover differential, net yardage, etc...

Jets = +3 turnover margin

Browns = -1 turnover margin

Jets net EPA/play = +.12

Browns net EPA/play = -.20

Jets net total yardage = +89 yards

Browns net total yardage = -97

True, but #ToddMonkenFreed has to count for a few points, no?


At DT, context and meaning are a scarecrow kicking at moving goalposts.
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,412
F
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
F
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,412
Originally Posted by FATE
Yeah, I'm pissed. TWO family events scheduled on the 18th. No way in hell I watch that game live..

Just found out wife and I have to go to Thailand next week. Her mom is really sick and old (upper 80’s), so we have to go, and I will miss the Ravens and Titans game.

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 15,092
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 15,092
Wow. That's a bit different. Go take care of mom. Safe travels, bro.


HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,031
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,031
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Originally Posted by mgh888
Some great analysis numbers there - Paul Depodesta would be proud, Mac might choke!

I guess this shows the Browns currently having a w/l record better than the sum of it's play on the football field. I'd argue this is where coaching makes a huge difference. I think you could argue over the last 4 previous years we've lost more games we were "ahead" in these types of analytics ... was that coaching also? At times it felt like it? Maybe it was just bad luck?

We might see the Browns regress to the sum of it's average? We might see an improvement in the metrics as the OL plays together, as the rookies learn and grow, as Judkins continues his road to recovery .... and for my money, if Monken can make the team believe - can prevent them from snatching defeat from the jaws of victory when we have the chance for a W ... we'll continue to be ahead of where virtually everyone predicted. It may not be above .500 come January. But 3 more wins from 13 games and we've beaten most predictions. Win versus the Jets and it will feel pretty damn good to be 4-1 no matter how we get there!

There is definitely a market expectation that the Browns will regress to the mean.

A few examples:

FanDuel still has the Browns at +1100 to win their division, +390 to finish second in the AFCN, +180 for a 3rd place.

FanDuel has the Browns currently at +390 just to make the playoffs and -375 for them to miss the playoffs.

If anyone believes in this team, now is the time to throw some money at them. Just like Jimmy!

I have never bet on the Browns until this year. My daughter went to Vegas back in the spring with some college friends and for fun, I told her to put $100 on the Browns to win the AFC North.. My payout would be around $2300 if they pull it off.

I'm not holding my breath, lol... I still expect them to have a top 15 draft pick.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Gameday vs Pittsburgh Post Game Discussion

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5