Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

At the Ferry bashers.

We pick up a 25 year old PG, who's a borderline all-star, for Damon Jones and Joe Smith?

with you.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

I guess the other "good news" with this trade as that we only gave up our two smallest expiring contracts to get him. We still have Wally and Snow for $21 million in expiring contracts plus another $5 million in Varejao if we want to go after a monster player around the trading deadline.

Excl - if I'm not mistaken we can't trade Varejao until December. I'm not sure why, but I remember reading that at draft time. I know that is before the trading deadling you mentioned, but may end up being relevant before then...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I guess the other "good news" with this trade as that we only gave up our two smallest expiring contracts to get him. We still have Wally and Snow for $21 million in expiring contracts plus another $5 million in Varejao if we want to go after a monster player around the trading deadline.

Excl - if I'm not mistaken we can't trade Varejao until December. I'm not sure why, but I remember reading that at draft time. I know that is before the trading deadling you mentioned, but may end up being relevant before then...

The only team we can't trade him to until December, 5th is Charlotte (because they were the team that signed him to an offer sheet).

If any other team came calling before then, we could include him in a deal.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

we cannot trade him without his approval...

i've said it a few times on this board, andy probably wants to stay a cav as long as possible this year, they are a high profile team (just as many national broadcasts as anyone else) and his status is better served being shown on tv more, although one could argue that maybe it would be better if people didn't watch him attempt to play offense...

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
I live in Milwaukee and I can tell you this...

He plays no defense and complains alot and doesn't always try his best....with that said, it was all done playing for a team that wins 20 games a year. I think playing for the Cavs and having Lebron be in his face will help. He has a ton of potential and can drain the 3 ball

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
S
Legend
Legend
S

there are a few mix videos of him on youtube, but i cannot link them because of the profanity in the music used, but check them out for yourselves if you want to see more of him

most cavs fans have seen him just from the fact that we play milwaukee 4 times a year...

Legend
Legend
Looks like a ncie deal - gave up basically nothing for a shooter... nice

<><

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Man this is gonna be interesting...This dude can throw it up from outside and drive the lane all day long...He reminds me of Parker...

This move could be the under the radar one...Real interesting to see what he and Bron do for each other...Bron no longer out top at the 3 line all the time???...Williams benefitting from Bron's drive and kick talent???...Williams and Gibson on the floor at the same time will be interesting...Even with Bron gettin' a blow...

This changes the outlook of a deadline trade...It was always predominently a Bibby, Baron Davis or Kidd trade...Points...As in PG...Now we've landed a TOP one without even adding Zerb's and Snow or even Andy to the deal...We've got attractive ammo for this years deadline...

Where do we go???...Our 2 Guards stink...We haven't had a 2 that can put up 20+ a night since I don't know when...Do we go for the BIG that can score and bound???...A Brand type down low???...Our thinking on Hickson is gonna be big in this I believe...If we pull off that HUGE deal at the deadline this year...Then next year we have the expiring Wallace to add more of solid depth pieces...Possibly re-ink Pav's for depth...

I still say we go for the 2 Guard STUD...We just STOLE a PG that I believe with Bron around will become that ALL STAR...This changes the thought process come the deadline...Or do we go with that PF and platoon Pav's and Boobs at the 2 spot???

Either way we are winners in this thing...

Go Browns!!!
S
Legend
Legend
S
you cannot have boobie and williams on the floor at the same time, unless you're losing and you need 3's more then you need 2's...

there is just not enough size or defense with those 2 on the floor, in your backcourt...

pavlovic should start, and if he can get back to his 2007 form, when he was very solid at both ends of the floor, you really have something going, maybe you can even use him as part of a trade to bring in a better 2 guard...

i agree, it is our weak spot, and has been for quite some time.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Many on here wanted Redd a couple of years ago and I think you just got a player equal to that. Personally I never liked Redd or Williams. They just aren't team players. They play no defense and take more shots than they should. (Mostly bad shots) Maybe playing with LeBron will change that. After all in Milwaukee he was arguably the best player on the team (him or Redd) which is why they never passed the ball except to each other.

One of the most annoying things about watching him play is to see him (or Redd) throw up a prayer from behind the 3 point arc with 20 seconds left on the shot clock. Just wait till he does it for your team.

With all that said the Cavs didn't have to give up anything for him and he will bring another scoring option to the team. Maybe playing on a team that he obviously isn't the best player will make him more of a team first player and not so quick to throw up bad shots but rather look for the open man. After all who is he going to pass to in Milwaukee. The only guy who does score won't pass it back even if he is triple covered.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Many on here wanted Redd a couple of years ago and I think you just got a player equal to that. Personally I never liked Redd or Williams. They just aren't team players. They play no defense and take more shots than they should. (Mostly bad shots) Maybe playing with LeBron will change that. After all in Milwaukee he was arguably the best player on the team (him or Redd) which is why they never passed the ball except to each other.

One of the most annoying things about watching him play is to see him (or Redd) throw up a prayer from behind the 3 point arc with 20 seconds left on the shot clock. Just wait till he does it for your team.

With all that said the Cavs didn't have to give up anything for him and he will bring another scoring option to the team. Maybe playing on a team that he obviously isn't the best player will make him more of a team first player and not so quick to throw up bad shots but rather look for the open man. After all who is he going to pass to in Milwaukee. The only guy who does score won't pass it back even if he is triple covered.

i've heard that from a bucks fan that i know around here...

hopefully his attitude changes when he comes to a better team...

one with a coach who is going on his fourth year, so there is that stability that seems to always make the situation better (we've all seen the revolving door that is milwaukee coaching position)

he also won't be playing on a team destined for the lottery...

and most of all, he'll be playing alongside a guy who could make him a better player, 17 & 6? lebron could make him a 20/8 guy, easily... that's an all star in either conference

there is no gaurantee that this happens, 2 years from now, when lebron is up for free agency, we could look at this as a bad move... but i stand behind danny ferry, with this situation you cannot sit on your hands, and with the way the nba draft/lottery works, we won't be drafting any superstars...

he had to do something, and he gave up very little for it...

in my eyes, i said we were a player away, after the williams trade, i still believe we are a player away, but we're a much better team, with or without delonte west.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I'm very interested in what we can pull off at the deadline now.

My basketball knowledge is limited but I think we're a trade away.

As of right now IMO we're the 2nd best team in the conference. I have no doubt in my mind we could have taken out Detroit if we got past Boston, we have Detroit's number.

Legend
Legend
I keep hearing we're still interested in another trade before the season starts. That Lee guy out of the NY.

Too bad we couldn't get Artest too. I would think his defense could really put this team over the top.

And as far as Mo is concerned, he has a nice assist per game average....but how is he really at dishing the ball out? Is that part of his game?

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I keep hearing we're still interested in another trade before the season starts. That Lee guy out of the NY.

Too bad we couldn't get Artest too. I would think his defense could really put this team over the top.

And as far as Mo is concerned, he has a nice assist per game average....but how is he really at dishing the ball out? Is that part of his game?

he's not bad, he's not a true point guard like a chris paul or a steve nash, but i put him somewhere near the class of baron davis, he's not baron, but he's good...

david lee is not a bad player, probably a really good bench guy, i wouldn't sell the farm for him, but i would love to have him added to our rotation...

i wonder if his name is mentioned because of the fact that we could lose delonte west, not that new york needs any more guards, but they could use another guy who doesn't mind passing the ball every once in a while.

i really liked mo williams' comments when he met with the media for the first time as a cavalier, now i know talking it one thing, and doing it is another, but he pointed out the fact that he has not played very good defense, and that he knows that it will be expected with mike brown and with his teammates, and he stressed that he knew championships were won on defense first.

it is really tough to play your best defense when your team is out of a playoff spot in the eastern conference by the all star break, so playing with the cavs could change his attitude, and keep him motivated, i'm most excited because he will be able to start the year with us, instead of coming over in january or february, this could get the cavs to do something that has irked me for years, take a shot at the top seed in the east...

we all bang on the cavs for not going all the way in the playoffs, we try and point out who needs to go and who needs to stay, but it's clear that home court is so valuable in the nba, that if the cavs could come up with the top seed in the east with the team they have now, they could easily return to the finals.

if the cavs can somehow turn wally sczerbiak, eric snow, and/or anderson varejao into one more star player, there will be no stopping them, mark my words.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

if the cavs can somehow turn wally sczerbiak, eric snow, and/or anderson varejao into one more star player, there will be no stopping them, mark my words.

In your opinion, who would that star player be?

I know that almost an impossible question to answer because we don't know who might be available near the trade deadline....but like you said, I'd want them at the start of the season.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

I know that almost an impossible question to answer because we don't know who might be available near the trade deadline....but like you said, I'd want them at the start of the season.

i don't know if we will be able to land another player, especially a very good one before the start of the season, but hell, it happened with boston, they grabbed ray allen, and then they grabbed kevin garnett, all before the year started, so it has happened before

my guess is as good as yours, hopefully a 2-guard or a power forward...

how about shawn marion? combo 2/3 kinda guy, pretty good defender...

you could run williams at the 1, marion at the 2, and lebron at the 3

you could also run lebron at the point, williams at the 2, and marion at the 3

marion can even play the 4 spot.. he's actually pretty flexible in where he can play on the floor, i think he's best at the 3, and i know lebron plays the 3, but we also know how much lebron loves to handle the ball

miami needs a point guard, we have delonte west, we send delonte and wally to miami for marion, let's do it.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

i don't know if we will be able to land another player, especially a very good one before the start of the season, but hell, it happened with boston, they grabbed ray allen, and then they grabbed kevin garnett, all before the year started, so it has happened before

my guess is as good as yours, hopefully a 2-guard or a power forward...

how about shawn marion? combo 2/3 kinda guy, pretty good defender...

you could run williams at the 1, marion at the 2, and lebron at the 3

you could also run lebron at the point, williams at the 2, and marion at the 3

marion can even play the 4 spot.. he's actually pretty flexible in where he can play on the floor, i think he's best at the 3, and i know lebron plays the 3, but we also know how much lebron loves to handle the ball

miami needs a point guard, we have delonte west, we send delonte and wally to miami for marion, let's do it.

Playing Marion at the 2 would probably be a massive mistake. He hasn't played there in a long time and wouldn't here either. Marion, at this point, it much more of a 3-4 type player, but I don't think would fit in here.

One guy that looks like he may be on the move by midseason is Gearld Wallace. Guy is basically Larry Hughes with thinking he is a jumpshot master and "just wants to have fun." He could definately be what we need at the 2 guard right now, as a lock down defender.

But of course, all of this is JMHO.

you had a good run Hank.
S
Legend
Legend
S
marion is a good defender that can shoot and create on his own, how does he not fit with the cavs?

as long as you defend, mike brown will play you

he's not my first choice, but i'd be happy to see him here

actually a backcourt of mo williams and ron artest would have been sick

when you think williams at the 1, artest at the 2, and lebron at the 3, i don't know if you can find a better 1/2/3 than that

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

marion is a good defender that can shoot and create on his own, how does he not fit with the cavs?

as long as you defend, mike brown will play you

he's not my first choice, but i'd be happy to see him here

actually a backcourt of mo williams and ron artest would have been sick

when you think williams at the 1, artest at the 2, and lebron at the 3, i don't know if you can find a better 1/2/3 than that

Artest was my first choice too. We would have a very legit shot at a title with him.

That is why i'm such a big Wallace fan, because he is almost like Ron Artest lite without the craziness.

you had a good run Hank.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Cavs reportedly pull off massive trade!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard