Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#36281 01/24/07 11:25 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,150
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,150
If the Browns want their offensive line to improve quickly, why not hire Alex Gibbs, perhaps the best OLine coach in NFL history?

Gibbs is still available but being eyed by the Texans. The following excerpt from Texans fans site, dated Jan 21st 2007 ... web page

With Mike Sherman taking the offensive coordinator position, I wonder if John Benton will be the sole offensive line coach, if Sherman will be mostly helping him, or if they will hire someone else to help. Alex Gibbs is available as a part time consultant, but local columnist John McClain says that hiring him is not likely. (Insert big sigh here).
.......................................................................................................

This is a situation where Savage should open Lerner's wallet and pay what ever it takes to bring in the best to help build the Browns Oline.

It looks as though the Texans just want Gibbs as a "part time consultant" to help teach their Oline coach.

IMO, the Browns should be looking at Gibbs too.

The Browns have a need....Alex Gibbs has a skill...and their is no salary cap on how much you can pay coaches or "part time consultants".


GM strong...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #36282 01/24/07 11:28 AM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,165
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,165
How could the best OL coach in the NFL possibly help Cleveland??

mac #36283 01/24/07 11:28 AM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,531
A
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,531
Yep, and I've been saying this for about a month now. I originally wanted him as coordinator, but I'd more than take him as a line coach.

Ammo #36284 01/24/07 11:45 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,150
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,150
Quote:

Yep, and I've been saying this for about a month now. I originally wanted him as coordinator, but I'd more than take him as a line coach.




Ammo...I would take Gibbs on any grounds he set as long as he is teaching the Oline coaches and players. I wouldn't care if Gibbs were hired as a part time consultant or our OLine coach...the title does not matter.


GM strong...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #36285 01/24/07 12:09 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 692
K
All Pro
Offline
All Pro
K
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 692
with davidson gone, we may be talking to him.


tradition can only carry you so far, then you have to start winning again.
mac #36286 01/24/07 12:28 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,869
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,869
I would love it. We need linemen guys. I am tired of watching crappy fundementals every sunday.

mac #36287 01/24/07 02:18 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,426
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,426
Its the same situation as the OC, why would a proven OL coach come to Cleveland when he knows that in a year there could easily be a complete change of staff and be starting over (if he is even retained)?


[color:"green"] "World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Please talk amongst yourselves." Get Fuzzy[/color]
mac #36288 01/24/07 02:34 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,699
P
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,699
Why even TRY to throw a fat check at somebody that's extremely qualified for the position? That would go against everything they've done so far!

Besides,the OC might have to look over his shoulders if the OL coach is that qualified!



Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,165
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,165
Quote:

Its the same situation as the OC, why would a proven OL coach come to Cleveland when he knows that in a year there could easily be a complete change of staff and be starting over (if he is even retained)?






great big piles of cash and a small yellow post it note that reads "i owe this the Browns fans - R.L"

mac #36290 01/24/07 04:23 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 32
P
Rookie
Offline
Rookie
P
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 32
Gibbs has been retired for a couple of years now I believe. He's in his mid 60's and really doesn't have the energy to be a full time coach anymore. Also, I believe he's suffered from depression, causing him not to be devoted to his job whole-heartedly. But, with that said, everyone on this board is correct. Alex Gibbs is the father of modern zone blocking that is used today in the NFL, and is great offensive line coach. If any of you are true football junkies and like to be entertained, log onto gillmangear.com and buy the two volume zone blocking tapes by Alex Gibbs. You'll learn alot about modern zone blocking schemes and also be entertained by Gibbs' subtle vulgarity and stories.

While we're on the subject of looking for O Line coaches, where is Jim McNally. The last I heard, he was with Buffalo, but I haven't checked in a while. If he's available that would be the best O line coach the Browns would have since Howard Mudd.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,165
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,165
Gibbs isn't retired. Here's an article dated Jan 4/ 07:

ALEX THE GREAT
Lost in the shuffle of Jim Mora's firing was this development -- Atlanta also lost coaching consultant Alex Gibbs, one of the top offensive line coaches in NFL history.


In each of Alex Gibbs' three seasons with Atlanta, the Falcons led the NFL in rushing.
Gibbs notified the Falcons in December he would not return, and he now is awaiting his next coaching move from the comforts of his home in Arizona.

Gibbs is regarded as one of the rare coaches who can overhaul a team's running game, have an impact on its passing game and improve an entire offense. He did it with the Raiders, the Chiefs, the Broncos and the Falcons -- and he will do it for whichever team hires him next.

His price tag never is cheap. But the results Gibbs gets are undeniable. Any team that wants one of the league's top rushing offenses can be assured of getting what it wants by hiring Gibbs, one of the highest-profile free agents now available.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9908198

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Geez,,, this guys sounds like he walks on water and gargles peanut butter,,, when can we sign him up


#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,364
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,364
Quote:

While we're on the subject of looking for O Line coaches, where is Jim McNally. The last I heard, he was with Buffalo, but I haven't checked in a while. If he's available that would be the best O line coach the Browns would have since Howard Mudd.





I mentioned Jim's name in another thread re Russ Grimm as being along with Gibbs and McNally the 3 guys I would like coaching my OL. Jim is content in Buffalo as I believe this will probably be his last gig and probably will be retiring in a few years. I'm only guessing on this but he is getting on in age.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,618
V
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
V
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,618
It's obvious to me that you have some knoledge of football, especially OL play.

Post more!


"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,150
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,150
Quote:

Gibbs has been retired for a couple of years now I believe.




Pound...welcome to the board.

Now, as to your comment above, my information says your wrong. Gift Horse's informaiton indicates you are wrong too...Gibbs is not retired!

I purposely put the date of the article, Jan 21st 2007 and the link to the story to show that the info was current and Gibbs was still not working for anyone.


Quote:

He's in his mid 60's and really doesn't have the energy to be a full time coach anymore.




Pound...I did state that Gibbs was working as a consultant, teaching his methods to coaches and players and that he would fit nicely in that role with the Browns.

Quote:

Also, I believe he's suffered from depression, causing him not to be devoted to his job whole-heartedly.




Pound...it sure is not a secret that Gibbs has been diagnosed and treated for depression for some years now.

How would that be an issue against seeking Gibbs services as a consultant?

Did Gibbs help the Falcons?

On your comment about Gibbs not to being devoted to his job whole-heartedly...what evidence do you have to support your claim?


GM strong...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #36296 01/25/07 10:25 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,150
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,150
Pound...you still out there?



GM strong...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #36297 01/25/07 12:59 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,165
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,165
Quote:

Pound...you still out there?






Maybe he read your reply post and thought it was full of attitude without justification. I know when I read it I felt like you were try "to start a fight". Maybe I read "tones" into it that aren't really there. If so- my bad. If not, you may want to consider posting your comments in a more conversational manor. JMHO

Pound is just posting on an MB, not publishing in a national magazine. Ease up bud.

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,150
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,150
Quote:

Quote:

Pound...you still out there?






Maybe he read your reply post and thought it was full of attitude without justification. I know when I read it I felt like you were try "to start a fight". Maybe I read "tones" into it that aren't really there. If so- my bad. If not, you may want to consider posting your comments in a more conversational manor. JMHO

Pound is just posting on an MB, not publishing in a national magazine. Ease up bud.




Gift...you really don't know me very well.

I have no problem with anyone who is a Browns fan. My style is not one where I treat everyone with kid gloves so as not to hurt their feelings. I try to be as accurate and factual as I can and as I did in this thread.

Before I posted a response, I double checked my information about Gibb's availability and posted what I had found. I did not just spout an opinion out of the blue without something to back it up.

If you or anyone else takes my response as "attitude", not much I can do about it but say, sorry.

On the subject of Alex Gibbs... he has not been retired for 2 yrs...it does appear that he could be available as it looks as though the Texans are interested too...and yep, Gibbs is in his mid 60s which means exactly "zero" as some of the best coaches in the NFL are in their 60s...is Gibbs out of energy, suffering from depression and not devoted to his job "whole heartedly"?

I believe someone would have to sit down with Gibbs and interview him to find the answers to those "opinions".

And that is all I'm asking the Browns to do, give Gibbs consideration, "if" Savage and Crennel believe he could help the worst offensive line in the NFL.

Sorry if I offended anyone...mac

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW, Gibbs is still listed as one of the Falcons coaches. Gibbs bio is below for those interested.

Biography

Alex Gibbs will serve in the role of consultant for head coach Jim Mora for the second straight season.


With Gibbs' help, the Falcons offense led the NFL with 2,546 yards rushing and improved from 20th overall in 2004 to 12th last year in total offense. In addition, three offensive players were voted to the Pro Bowl in QB Michael Vick, RB Warrick Dunn and TE Alge Crumpler.


Gibbs' was the Falcons' assistant head coach/offensive line coach in 2004. The birds led the NFL in rushing for the first time in team history with a franchise-record 2,672 yards. The 2,672 yards represented the third-highest rushing total in the League since 1990. The Falcons' rushing dominance continued in the playoffs as the birds racked up 327 yards rushing in the 47-17 NFC Divisional Playoff win over St. Louis, the fourth-highest postseason rushing total in NFL history. It was also the highest single-game (regular season or postseason) total in team history.


Here are some of the other notable offensive accomplishments in 2004 with Gibbs' influence.


Shattered the team mark for best per-carry average at 5.1 (with the previous mark at 4.5). It marked only the ninth time
since the NFL went to a 16-game schedule in 1978 that a team averaged 5.1 yards or more per carry.
The Falcons led the NFL with 22 runs of 20 or more yards.
Tied a team record by rushing for more than 200 yards six times.

Atlanta is the sixth NFL stop for Gibbs, who tutored offensive lines in Denver (twice, 1984-87 & 1995-2003) Los Angeles (1988-89), San Diego (1990-91), Indianapolis (1992) and Kansas City (1993-94). Gibbs joins the Falcons from Denver where he spent the nine seasons in the same capacity, the last three of which primarily in a consulting role.

Gibbs' reputation has been built around his talent to get the most out of his players through his one-of-a-kind ability to instruct. Nowhere was this more apparent than in his last stop in Denver, where his coaching played a central role in the Broncos winning back-to back Super Bowls in the late 90s.


Gibbs returned to Denver in 1995 to accept the role of assistant head coach/offensive line coach. During his second tour of duty in Denver, Gibbs' line helped the Broncos set numerous franchise records including most total yards (6,554 in 2000), most passing yards (4,243 in 2000), most first downs (383 in 2000), points scored (501 in 1998), rushing yards (2,468 in 1998), rushing touchdowns (32 in 1998), total touchdowns (62 in 1998) and fewest sacks allowed (25 in 1998). The Broncos rushing offense ranked in the top five three times (No. 1 in 1996, No. 5 in 1997 and No. 3 in 1998) during Gibbs' tenure, while the offense ranked in the top five four times (No. 1 in 1996 and 1997, No. 3 in 1998 and No. 2 in 2000).


When it came to protecting the passer under Gibbs, the Broncos did not allow more than 35 sacks in a season from 1995-2000 and posted two of the top six marks for fewest sacks in club history during that period: (25 in 1998 and 26 in 1995).


In postseason play during Denver's two championship years, which included seven games, the Broncos averaged 185 rushing yards per game, while allowing only 1.4 sacks per game.


Individually speaking, center Tom Nalen went to four consecutive Pro Bowls under Gibbs' tutelage. In 1998, Nalen, tackle Tony Jones and guard Mark Schlereth were named to the Pro Bowl after doing their part in not only leading the Broncos to a second consecutive Super Bowl title, but also in assisting running back and NFL MVP Terrell Davis to rush for more than 2,000 yards, the fourth consecutive season that Davis rushed for more than 1,000 yards.


In the first of Denver's back-to-back Super Bowl runs in 1997, the Broncos' offensive line paved the way for 15 100-yard games by Broncos running backs over the course of the 20 games (regular season and playoffs). It was also in 1997 that the Broncos offensive line earned the NFL Offensive Player of the Week award for its play in the Bronco Wild Card win over Jacksonville. It marked only the second time in NFL history that an offensive line won the award.


Prior to his appointment in Denver, Gibbs tutored the offensive line in Kansas City for two seasons where he helped the Chiefs drop their sack total from 48 in 1992 (the year before his arrival) to 19 in 1994. He brought similar results to Indianapolis where he was the Colts' offensive line coach in 1992 as he helped the Colts drop their sack total by 13 in the one season he was there. Prior to that, he was in San Diego for two seasons (1990-91) where he helped assemble a line that enabled the Chargers to have the second-best rushing offense in the league in 1991 with an average of 140.5 yards per game.


With the Los Angeles Raiders (1988-89), he coached guard Steve Wisniewski who would go on to become an eight-time Pro Bowl selection.


Gibbs began his NFL career in 1984 with the Broncos, serving as the team's offensive line coach for four seasons. During his first stint in Denver, Gibbs directed a line that helped the Broncos make back-to-back trips to the Super Bowl in 1986-87.


Gibbs coached at the college level for 13 seasons before moving on to the NFL. His collegiate stops included Duke (1969- 70), Kentucky (1971-72), West Virginia (1973-74), Ohio State (1975-78), Auburn (1979-81) and Georgia (1982-83).


His diverse background also included three years as coach at Mount Airy (NC) High School where he won a pair of state titles. A native of Morganton, NC, Gibbs, 65, was a running back and defensive back at Davidson College. He studied pre-law and then earned his master's degree from the University of North Carolina in European history. He would later receive his doctorate in education from Auburn.


Gibbs has four sons, David, Chuck, Steve and Mark, and a daughter, Sandy.





Last edited by mac; 01/25/07 03:23 PM.

GM strong...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #36299 01/25/07 03:25 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,869
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,869
Or maybe he isn't hovering over his computer 24/7 like us.

mac #36300 01/26/07 05:09 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 32
P
Rookie
Offline
Rookie
P
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 32
Mac,
Thanks for the welcome. As for your post where you totally dissected my post; I want you to know and everyone to know for that matter to not take my words as gospel. Also, I know it's hard to tell with words how a person really feels; it's hard to express emotion and intent on a message board. We like to use "LOL" and smiley faces to try but I don't like to do that; but anyway it sounded like you interpreted my post as saying that because Alex Gibbs was in his mid 60's and that he had suffered from depression that that was grounds for him not to be hired by the Browns. Well, I want you to know that I find it very disappointing that you would interpret my words in that way. You don't know me, but I would never judge another human being like that. But like I said, it's hard to determine intent, emotion, and meaning by mere words, but I sure hope we can have more informative and intelligent discussions on this board.

Now, as a specific reply to your post. Without doing any research (because I really don't have the time to do so), I believe Gibbs retired from the Broncos after either the 2001 or 2002 season, I can't remember which one. But he came out of retirement in 2003 when Jim Mora Jr. got the job with the Falcons. Gibbs went to the Falcons with the intent to groom and train Asst. OL Coach Jeff Jagonzinski in Gibbs' zone blocking principles. After that season, Gibbs retired from FULL TIME coaching, but stayed on to be a consultant. So when I say he retired, I mean he retired from a full time capacity.

Mac, I wasn't attempting to say that because Gibbs had suffered from depression, that he couldn’t work. I believe I heard on one of the pregame shows or on ESPN that he was suffering from depression and was unable to perform his job to the best of his ability, so he decided to retire from full time coaching. I would love to have Alex Gibbs join the Browns in some capacity. If he wants to be a full time OL coach once again, I say welcome aboard. If he just wants to be a consultant, I'm happy with that too.

Did Gibbs help the Falcons? Any casual observer of NFL football could answer that question. Absolutely he did.

Mac, with your last sentence, you reminded me of my college English professor writing a little note at the end of my persuasive essay. Once again, I don't have the time to dig through and research articles. I am a football coach, and I do try to keep up with what's going on in the industry, so my information comes from my memory and other observations. I don't start rumors; I just try to give you my perspective on topics. I look forward to many more discussions with all you fellow Browns fans.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,475
E
Legend
Offline
Legend
E
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,475
hmmm...Gibbs semi-retired. Downgraded to consulting rather than coaching full time.

hmmm thats why he's mentioned big time for Dallas' HC job...the perfect Semi-Retired Consultant puppet for him to use as Head Coach.

Jones wants to Head Coach that team so bad....the NFL should do away with that rule and let him Head Coach...maybe he would be so bad at it they can restate it and use him as a reference

JMHSuggestion.


Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,618
V
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
V
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,618
Don't let him intimidate you.

Being a consultant is different than being a coach. I think Gibbs is a consultant because he didn't want to have to work full-time anymore. I believe that was widely reported before he accepted the job.

Stay strong, young man.


"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
mac #36303 02/02/07 08:52 AM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 192
S
2nd String
Offline
2nd String
S
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 192
Don't think this will fit with Chud's scheme, but here's an FYI.

lincoln

FALCONS: Line coach cut loose by Petrino

By Steve Wyche
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 02/01/07

Alex Gibbs, the former offensive line coach/consultant who implemented a zone-blocking scheme used by the Falcons, will not be back with the team.

Though coach Bobby Petrino has overhauled the coaching staff since being hired Jan. 8, Gibbs had been listed as an offensive line consultant, his title the past two seasons when the Falcons led the NFL in rushing. The Falcons confirmed Wednesday that Gibbs, who came to Atlanta in 2004 with then-coach Jim Mora as the offensive line coach, was not retained.

Mike Summers, who was on Petrino's staff at Louisville, was hired as the offensive line coach.

Gibbs' departure signals a likely change in blocking philosophy from the zone/cut-blocking scheme to more of a traditional power game. Petrino has based his offense around a physical running game.

The Falcons also will begin the transition to bigger, more physical offensive linemen from the sleeker, smaller linemen that fit better into Gibbs' scheme, Petrino has said in interviews since being hired.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Quote:

The Falcons also will begin the transition to bigger, more physical offensive linemen from the sleeker, smaller linemen that fit better into Gibbs' scheme, Petrino has said in interviews since being hired.




Sleeker, Smaller Linemen,,,isn't that kinda what Denver uses also... More athletic guys that get better leverage on the behemoths on Dlines? Or am I just missing the boat altogether?


#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 237
O
2nd String
Offline
2nd String
O
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 237
Quote:

Quote:

The Falcons also will begin the transition to bigger, more physical offensive linemen from the sleeker, smaller linemen that fit better into Gibbs' scheme, Petrino has said in interviews since being hired.




Sleeker, Smaller Linemen,,,isn't that kinda what Denver uses also... More athletic guys that get better leverage on the behemoths on Dlines? Or am I just missing the boat altogether?




Gibbs was the line coach for Denver prior to going to Atlanta.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Ahh, so I hit the nail right on the head then? LOL

I know we have a line coach already, but as a consultant,,,what's wrong with this guy? Just wondering


#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,165
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,165
Quote:

Ahh, so I hit the nail right on the head then? LOL

I know we have a line coach already, but as a consultant,,,what's wrong with this guy? Just wondering




The problem with Gibbs as a consultant to our OL coach is that Gibbs sends more OL knowledge spiralling down the porcelin bowl each morning than our OL coach ever had.

It would be like making Belicheck a personal assistant to RAC.

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,150
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,150
Quote:

Don't think this will fit with Chud's scheme, but here's an FYI.

lincoln

FALCONS: Line coach cut loose by Petrino





Shark...thanks for the article.

I have not been back to my thread for some time but with the news today, we see concrete evidence that Gibbs is alive and now available.

We just hired our coach who is limited in NFL experience and I could not think of a more fitting hire than Alex Gibbs as Marshall's consultant.

Hopefully some within the organization cease the opportunity and use the Browns advantage, Lerner's wallet, to get Gibbs to help us develop an offensive line.


GM strong...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #36309 02/02/07 11:28 AM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 192
S
2nd String
Offline
2nd String
S
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 192
Quote:

...and I could not think of a more fitting hire than Alex Gibbs as Marshall's consultant.




Just curious and to use your own words...

what evidence do you have to support your claim?

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,150
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,150
Quote:

what evidence do you have to support your claim?





Shark...what claim?

I do believe I made a statement of opinion, not a claim. I did not say he was the best Oline coach ever...but I did say he would be a good fit for the Browns.

You want to debate that issue, that the Browns could use some experienced "consultation" from someone such as Gibbs?

OR, do wish to get into a peeing contest with me?


GM strong...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #36311 02/02/07 11:41 AM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 192
S
2nd String
Offline
2nd String
S
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 192
Quote:

Shark...what claim?

I do believe I made a statement of opinion, not a claim. I did not say he was the best Oline coach ever...but I did say he would be a good fit for the Browns.





You made a claim that you thought Gibbs would be a good fit for Cleveland, I just wondered how you came to that conclusion? Only based on his success in the NFL? Does he style on blocking versus the prinicpals of Chud come into play at all?

Quote:

OR, do wish to get into a peeing contest with me?




Don't get all-riled up. I'm just wondering how you see Gibbs as a good "fit" for Cleveland while using a little humor at the same time.

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,150
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,150
shark...I will be waiting in the chat room.


GM strong...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,475
E
Legend
Offline
Legend
E
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,475
btw - Welcome to the board

This article posted seemed a little misleading.

FALCONS: Line coach cut loose by Petrino
By Steve Wyche
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 02/01/07

Alex Gibbs, the former offensive line coach/consultant who implemented a zone-blocking scheme used by the Falcons, will not be back with the team.

Though coach Bobby Petrino has overhauled the coaching staff since being hired Jan. 8, Gibbs had been listed as an offensive line consultant, his title the past two seasons when the Falcons led the NFL in rushing. The Falcons confirmed Wednesday that Gibbs, who came to Atlanta in 2004 with then-coach Jim Mora as the offensive line coach, was not retained.

Mike Summers, who was on Petrino's staff at Louisville, was hired as the offensive line coach.

Gibbs' departure signals a likely change in blocking philosophy from the zone/cut-blocking scheme to more of a traditional power game. Petrino has based his offense around a physical running game.

The Falcons also will begin the transition to bigger, more physical offensive linemen from the sleeker, smaller linemen that fit better into Gibbs' scheme, Petrino has said in interviews since being hired.

They portray Gibbs as the OL coach not as a consultant.
They also state that Gibbs was not retained where another article states that Gibbs walked away from the organization on his own?

Obviously Gibbs seems not to be available as a hands on OL coach.

Is Zone blocking the only road to a successful running game? Of course I'm throwing that out there cause of many who think so. Also I have no qualms (is that a word...and more important one that is aprapo?...lol ) in recognizing his success as a guru Zone block teacher from his works in Denver. I still state a major part of that success is the fact they play 8 games a year and many home playoff games - 1 mile up in thin atmosphere.

As for the credit to the Atlanta Falcons Running game over n over really is an over statement as a high pct of that real estate comes from Vick and his scrambles.

When sacked...it gets minused from the Passing Yardage...not rushing yardage and yet when he takes off and runs it all the positives. Very few are Student body left n right Zone blocking runs.

But if successful and this above article is accurate...This means the mentioned Jeff Jagonziski the true OL coach of the Falcons was let go??? Did we interview him and where did he go?

Obviously if in philosophy as a team...Savage, RAC n Chud we wish to go into a Zone blocking scheme...Gibbs would be a valuable consultant.

Thanks for the info.

JMHO


Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,150
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,150
Quote:

Obviously Gibbs seems not to be available as a hands on OL coach.





EO...the days of Gibbs being full time coach seem to be gone...just another reason that he could be a perfect fit for the Browns, provided his blocking schemes and methods mess with Chuds offense.

But lets get real folks, Gibbs would have to view the Browns as a possible one and done year of consulting in Cleveland due to Crennel's status. I think he could help teach Marshall, who is limited in NFL experience but the likelyhood of it happening is very small, IMO.

Last edited by mac; 02/02/07 12:08 PM.

GM strong...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #36315 02/02/07 01:06 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,475
E
Legend
Offline
Legend
E
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,475
"But lets get real folks, Gibbs would have to view the Browns as a possible one and done year of consulting in Cleveland due to Crennel's status. I think he could help teach Marshall, who is limited in NFL experience but the likelyhood of it happening is very small, IMO."

In regards to one n done....when it comes to OL and when it comes to a consultant level no less. They tend to be more tied in with the owner/GM and I've seen more than anyother asst. coach level that sticks with a team, gets paid higher than any other asst. coaches and is not part of a broad stroke firing process when regimes change.

And when I say this I say this about established and successfull OL coaches. They usually write their own tickets. And are segregated with the rest of the team...OL animals of their own breed, philosophy, eating habits, training habits, unity.

JMHO


Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
mac #36316 02/02/07 01:15 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Quote:

But lets get real folks, Gibbs would have to view the Browns as a possible one and done year of consulting in Cleveland due to Crennel's status.




It seems as if in some minds, everything is up in the air because of this perceived "lameduck" year for RAC... I'm not so sure it's true at all,,

First of all (and I may be fooling myself here) I don't think that RAC is in any more trouble than he was the day he took the job... I know most of you will think I'm nuts here, but I don't think Phil and Randy think we are anywhere near done completing the assembling of talent.. at least not enough to really give RAC a chance at success..

I can't prove it, mostly because it's more or less just what I'm thinking is true (perhaps it's what I just hope is true), But I really believe they (randy and phil) decided in the very beginning that it was going to take 4 to 5 years, and it's only the beginning of year 3 now...

Like I said, it's probably just me, But I don't sense a real problem attracting coaches or FA because of RAC's status... Maybe we are having trouble attracting Coaches or FA's because of the existing talent level of the team, but not because of RAC.... JMO however.


#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
mac #36317 02/02/07 05:20 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,618
V
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
V
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,618
Quote:

the days of Gibbs being full time coach seem to be gone...just another reason that he could be a perfect fit for the Browns, provided his blocking schemes and methods mess with Chuds offense.




mac, I think Gibbs is one of the premier OL guys around. I agree that he would be great in a consultant role, but I really don't think his philosophy meshes w/what Chud will do. Charger and the other poster told us that SD does not rely on zone blocking. Too bad, because I think the new guy could use all the help he can get.


"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Why Not Alex Gibbs?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5