Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Regarding the scheduling, with 2 divisions of 6 teams each, you'd play the 5 in your divison and 3 in the other division. It'd be easy to make the last game of the year OSU vs Michigan every year. And, if they happen to be split into separate divisions, the chance could exist that they meet in the championship game again the following week (of course, it makes sense to me that it be played in Browns Stadium every year ).

I put a little time into trying to figure out how to split the teams evenly. Though it depends on who the 12th team would be, it seems North/South fits better unless Mizzou is the team, then East/West does.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

This is strictly just my opinion, but I just don't see what bringing in a school with high academic standings would bring to the Big Ten. The knock on the Big Ten right now has to do with athletic ability from top to bottom. When PSU was brought onboard the Big Ten was already held in high regards.

Bringing in another school just to have one does nothing unless they are a competitive school. Again JMHO, I may be way off base.

Again, that's why they'll use academics as an excuse as Peen has imtimated,....that's why I am a Navy proponent. Academics would not be a question, and if we're gonna keep Indiana, what's the downside to bringing in the Middies ? Would they be any worse ? This is NOT about making the conference better--it's about money.

I would not be disappointed to drop a team and then have a Title game,....how is that any different ? Oh,...I know,...MORE teams=MORE money,....

And if a Title Game is THIS important, let's get out of the box and have one 5-team and one 6-team division. So,...once every ten years you don't have Ohio State-Michigan,...so what ?

C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
J/C...

I think that there are 4 real possibilities (and the Big Ten Network has a lot to do with it).

Notre Dame: The B10's dream. Geographically perfect fit. Additional exposure to NY and Chicago markets. Academic fit. Natural "rivals" with Michigan St and Purdue.
Rutgers: IMO, 2nd choice. Expands B10's footprint to lucrative east coast markets (NYC & NJ). Fits academically. Part of state university systems = many resources. More logical 2nd "rivalry" for Penn St than is MSU.
Missouri: If they can be pried from B12. Part of large state university system. Expands geographic footprint including large city of StL. Existing rivalry with Illinois.
Navy: Bit of a wildcard. Expands footprint to large east coast markets (DC). Academic fit. Independent status. Probably not large enough to compete in B10.

Some schools mentioned and why I don't think they will merit an invite:
Pitt: Doesn't expand BTN footprint. PSU already delivers Pittsburgh market.
Cincinatti: See Pitt. Replace PSU with Ohio State. And don't discount OSU's pull within conference to keep another B10 team out of Ohio.
Louisville: Won't bring a big enough market to BTN.
West Virginia: While a geographic fit, state of WV market not too enticing to BTN.
Syracuse: Probably the most likely of not gonna be there schools, but western NY isn't as enticing a market as eastern NY and NJ population centers.

JMHO.

Original Dawg Talkers Pick'ems Champion

Dawg Talk Member Since: 08/24/01
N
Legend
Legend
N
I would love to add the Middies....I don't think it could ever happen, but I would welcome it.

And the university presidents have enough pull in these decisions that they will NOT add a lower school like Mizzou to the mix. It doesn't matter that the Big10 does not equal the Ivy League, they are all good well-ranking schools. They want to add another school that helps the conference in as many regards as possible.

So, argue the order of importance, but there are 3 components that must be met and they all must be met in some regard.

1. Academic
2. New Market Size ($$$)
3. Athletics

#gmstrong
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

And the university presidents have enough pull in these decisions that they will NOT add a lower school like Mizzou to the mix. It doesn't matter that the Big10 does not equal the Ivy League, they are all good well-ranking schools. They want to add another school that helps the conference in as many regards as possible.

I know another poster referenced it, but why are folks talking about Mizzou being inferior academically?

They have several fine programs, and arguably the best journalism school in the country..t.op five, no doubt.

Legend
Legend
no_log said they wouldn't "fit the academic profile." He didn't say they were not a good academic school. There is a difference when you're talking athletes,...at least in my opinion.

I don't chest bang or stomp my feet much around here,...but Navy is your boy. Take 'em or get rid of someone, I say.

A
Alpoe19 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
A
Quote:

I would love to add the Middies....I don't think it could ever happen, but I would welcome it.

So, argue the order of importance, but there are 3 components that must be met and they all must be met in some regard.

1. Academic
2. New Market Size ($$$)
3. Athletics

You may be right in what the big 10 is looking for, but as a fan point of view, I want no part of Rutgers. For one they only had a few decent years of good football. Pre 2006, they were one of the worst football programs year in and year out. You could say the same with Cincy, but I think they have a better recruiting area as far as talent. 2nd, they have no real rivals in the big 10. You could point to Penn State, but I see no other history with the others. On the other hand teams like Missouri, Pitt, Cincy, or even West Virgina would matchup better with potential rivals. Finally, if Rutgers is the choice, how much interest would that draw in New Jersey?? Their fanbase doesn't match the ones in the big ten. Even when they have average years like this season, the scarlet knights have a hard time drawing fans. New York/New Jersey has never been known for following college football, like they do the pro sports.

From my point of view, I would like to see the follwing teams get strong consideration.

1.Notre Dame- great fanbase, good athletic program, solid academics

2.Cincy -growing football program, natural rival to Ohio State, close proximity to other schools, great basetball history, academics good enough for me.

3. Pitt- they would be able to renew an old rivarly with Penn State

4.West Virgina
5.Missouri
6.Navy

Legend
Legend
Never realized how much I missed the Pitt-Penn State thing until it was gone,...

Another thing about Navy---they have a few "annuals" that history would never let get away,...ND, Army,...etc. I'm not sure if they play Air Force "every" year or not,....those would have to 'go away' if they were to join the Big Ten.

A
Alpoe19 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
A
say if Notre DAme would enter this how the divisions might look

East
1.Penn State
2.Ohio State
3.MIchigan
4.Michigan State
5.Purdue
6.Indiana

West
1.Notre Dame
2.Illinois
3.Wisconsin
4.Iowa
5.Minnesota
6.Northwestern

If WEst Virgina entered

East
1. West Virgina
2.Ohio State
3.Michigan
4.Michigan State
5.Penn State
6.Purdue

WEst
1.Indiana
2.Wisconisn
3.Minny
4.IOwa
5.Northwestern
6.Illinois

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

What's wrong with Mizzou's academic standards.?? They have one of the best Journalism departments, and their business school isn't bad either.

There is nothing wrong with them.

This idea the big 10 has these high standards is just talk.

They aren't tier II schools by any means, but we don't need to be talking like it rivals the Ivy league.

They have a couple of very good schools and a bunch of good schools...Missouri or WV would fit right in the and be competitive in that department.

It wouldn't be like allowing the retarded brother to join the party.

No peen, it's just not idle talk:

The Big Ten is the only Division I conference to have all of its member institutions affiliated with the Association of American Universities, a prestigious collection of 60 research institutions, and leads all conferences in the total amount of research expenditures.
web page

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I would not be disappointed to drop a team and then have a Title game,....how is that any different ? Oh,...I know,...MORE teams=MORE money

You couldn't drop one. Only conferences with 12 teams are allowed to have a "Championship" game.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What's wrong with Mizzou's academic standards.?? They have one of the best Journalism departments, and their business school isn't bad either.

There is nothing wrong with them.

This idea the big 10 has these high standards is just talk.

They aren't tier II schools by any means, but we don't need to be talking like it rivals the Ivy league.

They have a couple of very good schools and a bunch of good schools...Missouri or WV would fit right in the and be competitive in that department.

It wouldn't be like allowing the retarded brother to join the party.

No peen, it's just not idle talk:

The Big Ten is the only Division I conference to have all of its member institutions affiliated with the Association of American Universities, a prestigious collection of 60 research institutions, and leads all conferences in the total amount of research expenditures.
web page

I didn't say idle talk. I know there is substance to the discussion.

Along those lines, it works out Missouri is a member of the AAU, a member since 1908, and Notre Dame isn't a member, so I guess Notre dame doesn't measure up academically. None of the service academies measure up.

From what I gather, the AAU is collection of schools that conduct research...that's cool. Not all universities work along those lines, so I don't think not being a member is a real measurement of the quality of the institution, but if that is the stick by which you want to measure, Mizz or Pitt is your pick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_American_Universities

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I would not be disappointed to drop a team and then have a Title game,....how is that any different ? Oh,...I know,...MORE teams=MORE money

You couldn't drop one. Only conferences with 12 teams are allowed to have a "Championship" game.

Don't doubt your word,...but where does it say that ? Is that an NCAA Rule ? or one of those unwritten media/BCS policies ? And since when did the NCAA have anything to do with telling BCS schools what to do, except "you're on probabtion." The NCAA not really throwing its weight around is part of the problem here, when it comes to playoffs and the differences in what some conferences are and aren't allowed to do. Some conferences have crappy tiebreakers, some have Title Games, some get away without one, some teams have crappy OOC schedules, some play complete round robin-some don't, NCAA sanctioned playoffs in 1-AA but not 1-A etc.,etc.

I say we bring in Navy,...like not being a memeber of the AAUSSAUA (or whatever that is) means Annapolis isn't top flight. Or, like academics really "means" anything in college football anyway,....

R
2nd String
2nd String
R
Why not really open it up.
6 divisional games
3 games with the other division(1 fixed, 2 rotational)
3 non-conference games

South
1. West Virgina
2.Ohio State
3.Illinois
4.Purdue
5.Penn State
6.Pitt
7.Indiana

North
1.Michigan State
2.Wisconisn
3.Minny
4.IOwa
5.Northwestern
6.Syracuse
7.Michigan

It would still be called the big ten... ten states.

Last edited by RoosteR; 12/15/09 09:59 AM.
B
Legend
Legend
B
My wording was poor. You could have a champion if you had a even number of teams...the PAC 10 does...but you have a odd number of teams.

Who are you going to kick out??

It isn't going to happen...so you need a team....and get off Navy. While they might compete in football, they wouldn't in the other sports.

Mizz, Pitt, WV, or Syracuse are the logical targets if ND refuses.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I know,...I keep overlooking that,...sorry. Just think they would be a good fit if it has "to be."

Dump ? You tell me,...I've explained why it won't/can't happen, so why do we continue to coddle Indiana (?) for example.

Out of the box, I see no reason you can't have a 5 and a 6 team division, outside of some scheduling difficulties,...or loss of some annual rotating trophy battle (i.e., the Paul Bunyan Axe,...)

It's about money my friend. That's all there is to it. When the Big Ten Network gets its pie-share, it'll happen.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
More and more I read I like Mizz to join. The Big 12 can immediatly add TCU to replace them.

East
Penn St
Ohio St
Mich
Mich St
IND
Pur

West
Mizz
Wisc
Illinois
Min
North Western
Iowa

IMO that would be as balanced as you can get. I understand that Mich and Ohio St. would not play each other in the conf. Championship game but it still would mean that most of the time the winner will go to the Conf. Championship. Not to mention they still play at the end of the year and you wouldn't have them play twice in a row. (if they were in different divisions and still played the last game of the regular season)

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Missouri would be a good candidate. Natural rivals, good football and basketball program, brings strong academics to the table...

I like it.

you had a good run Hank.
R
2nd String
2nd String
R
Quote:

but you have a odd number of teams.

14 isn't even

Quote:

Who are you going to kick out??

I wanted to add 3 teams

Quote:

and get off Navy

i said pitt, wv and syracuse

I think you meant to reply to someone else.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

More and more I read I like Mizz to join. The Big 12 can immediatly add TCU to replace them.

East
Penn St
Ohio St
Mich
Mich St
IND
Pur

West
Mizz
Wisc
Illinois
Min
North Western
Iowa

IMO that would be as balanced as you can get. I understand that Mich and Ohio St. would not play each other in the conf. Championship game but it still would mean that most of the time the winner will go to the Conf. Championship. Not to mention they still play at the end of the year and you wouldn't have them play twice in a row. (if they were in different divisions and still played the last game of the regular season)

I think you would see Mich and Mich St in the west to keep them out of OSU's division with Ill and Nwestern moved to the east.

From a historical perspective OSU, Mich, and PSU are the strongest teams and you wouldn't want to jam all of them in to one division. Remember, part of the deal is to enhance the Big 10, which means you need to balance both divisions.

They are also the big name teams. Iowa as an example isn't going to be happy having to rotate at least 2, if not all 3 of the big 3 on and off the schedule.

OSU would keep Mich as a traditional rival and still play them every year as each team would keep one team from the other division to play on a annual basis while the other teams in the opposite division would rotate on and off the schedule every 2 years.

I do think they might consider moving the OSU/Mich date from the last week of the season to minimize the chance of the 2 teams playing 2 weeks...or games....in a row.

It might still be the last week of the Big 10 schedule...you would just have a out of conference games the last week, but Ideally, that game would move more towards a mid Oct play date.

Remember, if you make the change, you have to make some changes. Everybody can't be 100% happy, but everybody has to be at least 75% happy.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I don't want East/West or North/South division names. Make them like the old time NHL divisions. Norris, Conn Smythe...name the "Big10" divisions after something cool.

And again, gotta change the name of the conference too. You can't have a conference named the Big Ten with twelve teams (and yes, I was on this same soapbox all this time with eleven teams too).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Northwest Territory Conference?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
How bout the Michigan Sucks and Screw Blue divisions?

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I prefer the Great Lakes Conference

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If they add Mizz change it to the Big 9. That is Nine states: OH, PA, MI, IN, IL, MO, WI, IO, MN.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You might be right Peen. The only thing I'd say is Iowa might not care as much as you think. They still will play the east champion which will give them a quality win and if they win the championship game they get an automatic bid.

You are right historically OSU, Penn St and Mich are the Cream of the Crop when it comes to the Big 10 but they all have had down years. They way I put the divisions the west would have a chance for more upsets (anything can happen in one game).

Also I think OSU, Mich and Penn St. would like my set up because it one of them runs the table it mich give them 3 quality wins. (Victory over the other two and the confrece title game) Which would help them in the national voting to go to the BCS title.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't want East/West or North/South division names. Make them like the old time NHL divisions. Norris, Conn Smythe...name the "Big10" divisions after something cool.

And again, gotta change the name of the conference too. You can't have a conference named the Big Ten with twelve teams (and yes, I was on this same soapbox all this time with eleven teams too).

"Hayden" and "Woody"

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

How bout the Michigan Sucks and Screw Blue divisions?

I considered those as well, but they may seem as smackish instead of the logical choices that they obvuiously are.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I prefer the Great Lakes Conference

Me likey.

And the two divisions be Dirt and Ice.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
A
Alpoe19 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
A
I highly doubt they would put Ohio State and Michigan in seperate divisions. You look at the Big 12, and SEC, they both have rivals in the same division (Oklahoma &Texas, Texas&Texas A&M, Oklahoma-Oklahoma St, Texas-Texas Tech, Bama-Auburn, Bama-Lsu, Fla-Georgia, and so on)

C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
Quote:

Quote:

"Hayden" and "Woody"

So obvious... Separate Ohio State and Michigan into separate divisions and it's the "Hayes" and "Schembechler" divisions. Use their first names for a short version. The "Wayne" and the "Glen".

Though getting the other 10 schools in the "Big Ten" to agree might be a little difficult. It's always been the Big 2, why not leave it that way?

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

"Hayden" and "Woody"

So obvious... Separate Ohio State and Michigan into separate divisions and it's the "Hayes" and "Schembechler" divisions. Use their first names for a short version. The "Wayne" and the "Glen".

Though getting the other 10 schools in the "Big Ten" to agree might be a little difficult. It's always been the Big 2, why not leave it that way?

Say...why don't you two join the SEC...we can kick out Miss St, Vandy and maybe KY, get say, Texas, USC, Miami and a couple others, call it whatever, dump the NCAA and do our own thing???

That would get a BIG tv contract....just run it like the NFL with 4 divisions of 5-6 teams. Give the players scholarships and pay them $400 a month...call it a semi pro deal and that's that.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
I highly doubt OSU and UM will end up in the same division in any alignment. I just don't forsee the B10 putting OSU, UM, and PSU in the same division. Because they would want 2 of those teams in any championship game, if possible.

If ND were the team, they would be aligned with UM. If the new school is one of the others discussed, it does make things murkier but probably splits the same way (PSU/OSU together - UM opposite)

The reason the BXII is split the way it is is mostly old SWC schools in one division and B8 teams together. It works both geographically (Texas and Oklahoma schools together in the south, everyone one else to the north) and competitively (the theory was Texas-Oklahoma winner versus Nebraska (or Missou/Colorado on the rare off Nebraska year)).

SEC is split East to West. But it is basically balanced Florida/Tennessee/Georgia v. Alabama/LSU. If geographically could have ended up Florida/Georgia/Tennessee/Alabama/Arkansas/LSU v. the rest, the SEC would have definitely shuffled the deck.

C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
I've heard it suggested that the top 40 or so BCS power schools form their own division. Split it to 4, 10 team divisions. Play 9 games round-robin to determine the division champ. Play 3 other of the top 40 schools. Marquee matchups every week. HUGEMONGOUS TV contract.

4 team playoff with each division winner.

On another thought, I've thought Kentucky could be an interesting team to the Big Ten. They would still be top notch in basketball, but in theory, their football team would be more competitive within the B10. They are geographically closer to the heart of B10 country than SEC country. And the BTN would love to have a school with a following that easily fills its 60k seat stadium for a marginal football program.

Of course, UK would have to give up its SEC checks, so it ain't happening, but is interesting to talk about.

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Quote:

UK would have to give up its SEC checks, so it ain't happening, but is interesting to talk about.

I was thinking the whole time I read your post, No way in hell they leave the SEC for the Big Ten

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I've heard it suggested that the top 40 or so BCS power schools form their own division. Split it to 4, 10 team divisions. Play 9 games round-robin to determine the division champ. Play 3 other of the top 40 schools. Marquee matchups every week. HUGEMONGOUS TV contract.

4 team playoff with each division winner.

On another thought, I've thought Kentucky could be an interesting team to the Big Ten. They would still be top notch in basketball, but in theory, their football team would be more competitive within the B10. They are geographically closer to the heart of B10 country than SEC country. And the BTN would love to have a school with a following that easily fills its 60k seat stadium for a marginal football program.

Of course, UK would have to give up its SEC checks, so it ain't happening, but is interesting to talk about.

They would be more competitive in football.

They wouldn't rival OSU or Michigan, but they would fluke in to as many championships as Wisconsin or Iowa...and I mean that. They haven't been bad for a while now. They just can't stand up to the 4-5 SEC teams in any given year that are clearly superior teams on any front in any year.

I agree...Ky is a border state anyway...Texas makes more sense for the SEC if you go by history and shared culture..Texas was settled by Tennesseans who wanted to get even further away from the domain of Washington.....Davy Crockett and Sam Houston being a few notables.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
I can make a case for UK to move to the B10 (not super believable, but at least a case). Why would Texas leave the Oklahoma rivalry and near yearly National Title berths in the BXII for SEC where they pay checks would be slightly larger, but the prestige factor would be hurt? UT athletics is not exactly hurting for money.

I think the U would probably be most likely to try to push into the SEC to replace a theoretical Kentucky departure. Keeps the E/W split. Locks in the huge So. Florida market (that they have partially captured now with UF).

N
Legend
Legend
N
the Big10 wouldn't take Kentucky....they would however consider: Vanderbilt.

A good school in basketball recently (men’s and women’s). A+ academically.

Would they leave the SEC behind? Could they create a natural rivalry with Northwestern? Who would the SEC get to replace them (Memphis? or make a big play to steal Florida State who doesn’t fit in the ACC very well?)?

They are not as likely as most of the schools mentioned, but I thought why not throw them out there as well. And I really like the domino effect of the SEC then stealing Florida State (bad academics for the ACC) and the ACC then stealing....Syracuse who they wanted originally before UVa basically forced them to take VaTech?

Then the Big East has to scramble and ends up with East Carolina or Central Florida to continue competing as a football conference.

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
Here’s another “outside the box” choice.

University of Toronto. Until recently, actually fielded a very prominent american football program (for canada). but, has fallen way off recently and would need a complete upheaval for consideration (probably would need to join as independent at first and prove themselves out before upgrading to big10).

academically, they would be an excellent fit though I don’t know how the NCAA would allow international programs.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Wouldn't "we" have to start curling then,... (I like the sport)

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Big 10 may soon look to add 12th team

Link Copied to Clipboard