Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,531
A
Ammo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,531
As a driver who loves my current Focus (and it's a relatively bare bones 1st generation model) I can't wait for this one. I'm saving up today for a fully loaded one of these bad boys. It's amazing, IMO. Pics are at the link.

http://www.ford.com/about-ford/news-anno...ord-focus-31755

DYNAMIC NEXT-GENERATION FORD FOCUS DEBUTS
Print | Email this page | Subscribe

The next-generation
Ford Focus hatchback,
revealed at the 2010 North American International Auto Show
Next-generation Ford Focus makes its worldwide debut at 2010 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit
Focus spearheads Ford’s new generation of global C-cars, all based on a common platform that will underpin up to 10 vehicles around the world and account for 2 million units of annual production by 2012
Stylish new range provides customers with class-leading new technologies, features and craftsmanship
New Focus targets exceptional fuel economy, and advances acclaimed levels of driving quality
New range will start production simultaneously in Europe and North America in late 2010 and go on sale early in 2011. Asia, Africa and South America production will follow
Global Focus minisite
NAIAS minisite

DETROIT, Jan. 11, 2010 – The next-generation Ford Focus makes its worldwide debut providing customers with more affordable technologies and features than ever in this segment, as well as detailed craftsmanship, outstanding fuel economy and a new standard for driving quality.

Sleek, stylish and sporty, both the four-door sedan and five-door hatchback body styles of the next-generation Focus are previewed prior to their production start for Europe and North America late in 2010 and market launch early in 2011.

The new Focus will be nearly identical in all markets, with 80 percent parts commonality around the world.
“The new Ford Focus is a clear demonstration that our ONE Ford strategy is providing global consumers with great products that harness the best of Ford Motor Company,” said Alan Mulally, Ford’s president and CEO.

“The efficiencies generated by our new global C-car platform will enable us to provide Ford Focus customers with an affordable product offering quality, fuel efficiency, safety and technology beyond their expectations,” he added.

Simultaneous launch in Europe and North America
Production of the next-generation Ford Focus will begin simultaneously in Europe and North America in late 2010, with individual market launches starting early in 2011. Launches in Asia, Africa and South America will follow. Initial production will be concentrated at the Saarlouis (Germany), Michigan (United States) and Chongqing (China) Assembly Plants.

The new Focus will be one of up to 10 unique models to be built from Ford’s new C-car platform, which is expected to generate total sales in all regions of 2 million units annually by 2012. The first of these will be the new Ford C-MAX and Ford Grand C-MAX – unveiled at the 2009 Frankfurt Motor Show – for launch in Europe in the second half of 2010.

“Global customers increasingly want smaller cars with outstanding fuel economy, but without sacrificing any of the style, technology, connectivity and driving quality they demand from larger vehicles,” explained Derrick Kuzak, Ford’s group vice president of Global Product Development.

“Our next generation of C-cars – led by the exciting new Focus – will clearly show that Ford is ready to meet that challenge,” said Kuzak.

Engineered without compromise
The new Ford Focus has been developed by a global team, led from Ford’s European small and medium vehicle center of excellence in Merkenich, near Cologne, Germany, with powertrain development led by a similar team at Ford’s technical center in Dunton, England. The vehicle has been engineered without compromise to meet all customer and legislative requirements of the major worldwide markets.

In developing the vehicle for global markets, the product team in Europe was able to call on the experience acquired from recent programs like the much-acclaimed new Ford Fiesta, and was supported by the expertise of vehicle and powertrain technology specialists located in Ford’s engineering center in Dearborn, Mich.

Ford’s global development and sourcing strategy made it possible to provide a level of performance and feature content that is unrivaled for this vehicle segment and surprising even to drivers of larger, more premium vehicles.

Taking kinetic design to the next level
The no-compromise approach to the new Ford Focus is immediately evident from the striking exterior design of the four-door sedan and five-door hatchback models that take center stage at the 2010 NAIAS.

“The all-new Focus is at the center of convergence for automotive trends,” said J Mays, Ford group vice president of Design and chief creative officer. “We’ve designed it with an acute understanding of global customers, yet it’s tailored for each individual region. Focus combines the best from Europe, North America and Asia to deliver a level of emotional driving enjoyment never before experienced in a car this size.”

The two models share a sporty and dynamic character, marking the next evolution of Ford’s acclaimed kinetic design form language, which has contributed to the growing popularity of the company’s latest small and medium cars.

The kinetic design approach uses bold vehicle designs to capture the feeling of energy in motion, so that cars look like they are moving – even when they are standing still.

With its striking front end, sleek profile, dramatic rising beltline and athletic stance, the new Focus clearly telegraphs the rewarding driving experience that awaits customers when they take to the road.

This dynamic quality is reinforced by the distinctive design of the interior. The new Focus has an extremely modern, cockpit-style interior, with the stylish center console wrapped around the driver and providing outstanding access to the vehicle’s major controls and display panels.

A key element of the interior is the quality of craftsmanship. The cabin’s bold and contemporary graphics, the sculptured shape of the soft-touch instrument panel and the choice of superior trim materials all help to give occupants the feeling that they are traveling in a premium-class car.

Unmatched driving quality
When it was introduced in 1998, the original Ford Focus brought new levels of agility and responsiveness to the C-segment. The all-new Focus plans to raise the benchmark once more, targeting class-leading driving quality that blends outstanding steering precision and road feedback with significantly improved refinement and ride control.

To deliver this performance, engineers have updated the innovative suspension concepts from prior models, developing optimized new designs for the “control blade” multilink rear suspension and the semi-isolated front and rear subframes.

The chassis design is complemented by a completely new Electric Power Assist Steering system, which has been carefully tuned to deliver pure and precise responses at high speed while remaining light and maneuverable for parking.

Ford’s European driving dynamics specialists have also enhanced cornering stability and agility with the introduction of an advanced Dynamic Cornering Control system, which uses “torque vectoring” techniques to transfer power between the drive wheels to deliver reduced understeer, improved traction and better turn-in.

All global customers will benefit from the same quality of dynamic performance in the new Focus. Identical chassis and suspension architecture is being used for all markets, except for minor regional tuning differences, such as local tire specifications.

Efficient powertrains deliver performance with outstanding economy
The engaging driver appeal of the new Ford Focus is magnified by a powertrain range that delivers spirited performance and targets outstanding levels of fuel economy and CO2 emissions.

The global powertrain lineup for the new Focus will include a range of state-of-the-art Ford EcoBoost™ four-cylinder turbocharged direct injection (DI) engines – including the 1.6-liter unit in Europe and a choice of advanced and improved Duratorq TDCi common-rail diesel engines, all of which offer reductions in fuel consumption of between 10 and 20 percent compared to the outgoing models.

For the NAIAS preview, Ford is showing a completely new 2.0-liter gasoline engine for the North American market that features DI and Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing (Ti-VCT) for enhanced performance and fuel efficiency. The new 2.0-liter DI Ti-VCT engine is up to 20 horsepower more powerful than the current 2.0 Duratec I-4 unit while contributing to projected fuel economy gains of more than 10 percent.

To maximize the performance and economy advantage enjoyed by the new Focus, the 2.0-liter DI Ti-VCT engine is mated with the latest dry-clutch six-speed Ford PowerShift automatic transmission. This transmission uses an advanced dual-clutch design, which alone can help to reduce fuel consumption by up to 9 percent compared to a traditional four-speed automatic.

The dry-clutch PowerShift transmission is based on more efficient manual gearbox technology, and does not require the additional weight and complexity of torque converters, planetary gears and oil pumps used in conventional automatics. Electronically controlled twin clutches shift gears quickly and smoothly, providing the seamless flow of torque plus the refinement and ease of operation customers expect from a premium automatic transmission.

Ford also has confirmed plans to begin building a full, battery electric vehicle in 2011 at its Michigan Assembly Complex, for sales in North America. It will be the company’s first battery electric passenger vehicle.

Intuitive technology enhances convenience and safety
The next-generation Focus will bring C-segment customers around the world an exciting array of advanced technologies generally found in larger, more premium vehicles. The global scale of Ford’s C-car program makes more technologies and features economically viable than ever before for cars in this segment.

The technology package of the new Focus promises not only clear leadership in the C-segment, but also includes features customers in larger, more premium segments would find surprising.

The new technologies have been designed to be simple and highly intuitive to use, while enhancing both convenience and safety for the vehicle occupants.

Within the cockpit, the most significant innovation is the company’s next-generation driver connect technology, MyFord, which provides the driver with a state-of-the-art combination of controls and display screens to operate the key vehicle features. On high series vehicles, the MyFord system includes an 8-inch touch screen, allowing the driver to control a wide range of functions via a clear and intuitive color display.

MyFord is complemented by a new generation of Ford’s powerful SYNC® connectivity package, which includes a sophisticated voice control system, Bluetooth and satellite navigation, along with connection points for a wide variety of external devices and media players.

Other available safety and convenience technologies include keyless entry and “Ford Power” start button, a rearview camera and a semi-automatic parallel parking system that automatically steers the vehicle into a parking spot.

Strength and safety
The Focus platform provides an incredibly strong and stiff structure, which not only benefits vehicle dynamics and refinement but also provides the basis for enhanced crash performance.

High-strength steels are used extensively in the next-generation Focus body shell. High-strength steels comprise 55 percent of the body shell, and more than 26 percent of the vehicle’s structure is formed from ultra-high-strength and Boron steels – significantly more than any other Ford product. These advanced materials help the structure meet the most stringent crash legislation across world markets, while minimizing the vehicle’s weight.

The structural integrity of the body shell is also reflected in its torsional rigidity, which is 25 percent greater than the current North American Focus.

Quality and craftsmanship in every detail
With global customers now demanding a more premium experience from small- and medium-sized vehicles, achieving outstanding levels of quality and craftsmanship was a primary objective for the new Focus.

The new Focus will make significant strides in reducing cabin noise, promising a quiet cabin environment. This refinement complements the fresh new interior design and higher craftsmanship levels to create a premium feel akin to larger vehicles.

Each component in the vehicle that the customer will touch, see, hear or even smell has been subjected to rigorous analysis to ensure that it will exceed an owner’s expectations. Particular attention has been given to the quality of interior trim materials, and the color matching, gaps, flushness and tolerances where one part meets another.

Across the majority of vehicle attributes, Ford has developed a global DNA standard that defines the exact attributes a part should have to meet the quality requirements of the brand. Examples include the sound the door makes when it is closed, requiring special attention to the door structure and latch mechanism, and the design of a steering wheel, right down to the thickness of padding and size of stitching on the rim.

This meticulous attention to detail is also reflected in Ford’s global manufacturing strategy for the Focus, with consistent standards and processes being applied in every one of the assembly plants, wherever they are located in the world.

“We believe the new Ford Focus will provide consumers with an unmatched driving experience, together with an unrivaled ownership experience,” said Jim Farley, Ford group vice president, Global Marketing. “The Focus brand always has been very special to Ford, and this new global model shows our commitment to developing another generation of exciting and appealing cars.”

# # #

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,149
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,149
The wife is leaning toward the Escape, as we prepare to buy a new vehicle this year to replace a 99 Taurus. We will not buy anything but a Ford.

Didn't see any fuel and MPG ratings in this article,....

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,531
A
Ammo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,531
Quote:

The wife is leaning toward the Escape, as we prepare to buy a new vehicle this year to replace a 99 Taurus. We will not buy anything but a Ford.

Didn't see any fuel and MPG ratings in this article,....




Guaranteed it'll match or exceed what the Chevy Cruze is expected to get, which is about 40 MPG highway. Cruze is another car I'm strongly considering but the Focus just seems so far above and beyond anything made in this segment.

Hell, the Ford Fiesta gets 30 city 40 highway...the larger small cars always seem to get better highway MPG for some odd reason. I'm going to take a wild guess and say 42 MPG based on the projections over the current Focus (10% more efficient engine and 9% more efficient transmission = about 41.65 MPG, doesn't even factor in the improved aerodynamics).

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,149
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,149

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,224
D
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
D
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,224
LOL that looks just like a Mazda 3 Hatchback


There are no sacred cows.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,531
A
Ammo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,531
Quote:

LOL that looks just like a Mazda 3 Hatchback




It's based off of the same platform.

Ford has been doing some great things since Alan Mulally took over. IMO he's the Steve Jobs of the automobile industry.

Ford's ahead of every other automaker out there right now. Taurus and Fusion are amazing cars, the Focus will be an amazing car, awesome trucks and once they get the SUV's into shape (Explorer is going crossover which'll give it better mileage and the Escape is going smaller for better mileage too) Ford is going to be class-leading in the U.S.

Now I just wish I had some money to invest in Ford stock.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,480
C
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
C
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,480
Quote:

Now I just wish I had some money to invest in Ford stock.



Already did that at $5 and it is currently at 11.85. Wish I would have gotten in at 1.50, would have made some serious cash.


#gmstrong
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,887
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,887
Ford has been doing so well. Where I work at we have a special relationship with Ford. In fact they are 95% of the vehicles we upfit. Starting a few years back we noticed their restructuring. They were doing buy-outs to upper management while GM and Chrysler were sitting on their behinds.

I also own a 2001 Ford Escort ZX2 since June 2001. I have put 140k+ miles on it and the only work I've done to it is normal wear and tear.

2 Altenators
2 Batteries
Brakes & Calipers
Tie Rods
The rest have been normal items (Tires, oil changes, filters ect.)

Not to mention I get from 32-35mpg depending on how much A/C (and other factors) I use.

Its been a great car but it's getting close to where I don't want to put any major $$ into it and I am looking to get another Ford. (Just holding out till April/May when I'll have freed up close to $450/month in debt)


[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,531
A
Ammo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,531
Nice...cars can last forever these days it seems.

My Focus just crossed the 50k mark and it seems kind of petty that I'm looking to upgrade, but like I said, it's pretty bare bones. No ABS or traction control in the snowbelt kind of has me on edge at times.

I'm looking for a car that'll last me until hybrids and/or alternative fuel cars are the norm (and reasonably priced) that has all the bells and whistles I'm looking for...this seems to be it.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,246
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,246
I have an '07 Chevy Impala and I really like it. But, I will say that I've liked what Ford has been putting out. I've been seriously looking into getting a new Ford. Problem is I don't know what kind.

I like having a little bigger car since my car turns into my mobile office, but the Taurus is still a bit out of my price range (for what I'd want in it).


I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,480
C
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
C
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,480
I've been a Ford man since I bought my '85 Mustang 5.0 GT in high school. Got 135k miles out of it and sold it when I bought my '93 Cobra (now a drag race car) after college. It was still running perfect when I sold it - wish I never did, but didn't have a place to put it.

I currently own a 2000 Excursion with a Powerstroke diesel. That has 120k or so on it and still runs like a champ; that motor is just getting broken in. I also have a 2005 Mercury Montego AWD with 140k on it that has never been in the shop. A great car and I'll probably buy a Taurus to replace it this year - thinking of possibly an SHO or maybe even going with a Lincoln MKS. The hybrid Fusions have me intrigued as well.

Perform routine maintenance, especially oil changes, and cars will last a very, very long time. I also only use synthetic oil in my gasoline engines; the diesel would be a little expensive to fill with synthetic since it holds about 16 quarts.


#gmstrong
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,887
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,887
Quote:

I also only use synthetic oil in my gasoline engines




Yup, yup, yup. Besides the Factory oil my ZX2 has only know Full Synthetic Oil.


[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,531
A
Ammo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,531
Quote:

I have an '07 Chevy Impala and I really like it. But, I will say that I've liked what Ford has been putting out. I've been seriously looking into getting a new Ford. Problem is I don't know what kind.

I like having a little bigger car since my car turns into my mobile office, but the Taurus is still a bit out of my price range (for what I'd want in it).




Fusion

My buddy just bought a loaded 2010 (how he afforded it is beyond me). AMAZING car.

I can only imagine what the 2015 Fusion is going to be like (the first World Car Fusion).

The World Car Fords are going to put Detroit back on the map. By pooling all the resources and using one standard globally, it lowers manufacturing costs and increases quality and uses the best of every region. It should be a no brainer, why this hasn't been done yet is beyond me.

GM isn't too far behind (Malibu is an excellent car as well). GM really needs to get their Full Size cars in gear...the Impala is on a 20 year old platform and has no plans for an immediate update.

The new Aveo and Cruze are nice cars along with the new Buicks (Regal and Lacrosse and upcoming Astra-based compact).

Detroit is starting to get its act together. The one black sheep? Chrysler. I don't like their future outlook as of right now.

Last edited by Ammo; 01/11/10 01:04 PM.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,149
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,149
Chrysler has never been very exceptional,...you almost have to go back to the Richard Petty days.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,887
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,887
Quote:

Chrysler has never been very exceptional,...you almost have to go back to the Richard Petty days.




They did buy out the Freightliner van and but in the mercadies desil engine that allowed for the first Full Size van in America to be able to do over 30mpg. The turning radius on that thing was pretty sweet. Good thing it didn't take off (too expensive, and dread if you need to get parts), because it would have ate into my buisness. Our bread and butter is the raised roof and door on the Ford E-Series and the Dodge Sprinter eliminated the need for a Raised roof and Door because it came that way from factory.

Also over the last decade their Mini-Vans were pretty special taking all of the great idea's from Van Conversion companies and implementing them into their factory options. TV/DVD Combos, Tables, Stow and Go seating ect...


[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,149
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,149
Quote:

Quote:

Chrysler has never been very exceptional,...you almost have to go back to the Richard Petty days.




They did buy out the Freightliner van and but in the mercadies desil engine that allowed for the first Full Size van in America to be able to do over 30mpg. The turning radius on that thing was pretty sweet. Good thing it didn't take off (too expensive, and dread if you need to get parts), because it would have ate into my buisness. Our bread and butter is the raised roof and door on the Ford E-Series and the Dodge Sprinter eliminated the need for a Raised roof and Door because it came that way from factory.

Also over the last decade their Mini-Vans were pretty special taking all of the great idea's from Van Conversion companies and implementing them into their factory options. TV/DVD Combos, Tables, Stow and Go seating ect...




Agree, they did do a good job of that.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,531
A
Ammo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,531
Quote:

Chrysler has never been very exceptional,...you almost have to go back to the Richard Petty days.




Honestly, I love the aggressive styling of the Charger and Avenger. Problem is they under delivered on features, quality and gas mileage.

The Caliber is garbage as well, which is a shame because if it were a good car I'd have my sights on the AWD version of it.

Their best cars like was said above me are the minivans. My mom has a Town and Country and it's very nice, not even an upscale model.

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,577
B
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,577
Although it's not worth a darn this time of year, I love my '06 Mustang GT and will definately look to get another one in the future. I didn't buy it for gas mileage, but have been pleasently surprised over the past few years at what I've gotten out of it.... especailly after the first year or two where lets just say, I wasn't kind on gas mileage, lol.

My dad was telling me the other day about the, I believe, 2011 model which will have one more horsepower than the Camaro and get better mileage, lol.

Keep up the good work Ford!


"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,149
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,149
As we continue to "age",....I would like to get a Mustang, but she won't pull the trigger.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,531
A
Ammo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,531
Quote:

Although it's not worth a darn this time of year, I love my '06 Mustang GT and will definately look to get another one in the future. I didn't buy it for gas mileage, but have been pleasently surprised over the past few years at what I've gotten out of it.... especailly after the first year or two where lets just say, I wasn't kind on gas mileage, lol.

My dad was telling me the other day about the, I believe, 2011 model which will have one more horsepower than the Camaro and get better mileage, lol.

Keep up the good work Ford!




Former Mustang owner here...traded it for the Focus due cuz of winters, mileage and storage reasons.

My V6 was 190 HP, the new V6 is over 300 HP...that's mind boggling to me. Even the six banger is a rocket ship.

There will be a time when the V8 is replaced by an EcoBoost V6 and the V6 is replaced by an EcoBoost I4...I wonder how enthusiasts will react to that.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,160
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,160
We've had 4 of the Chrysler minivans..they ride very well although the pre-2001 engines do not deliver a ton of horsepower..I want a SUV for my next vehicle..or some sort of crossover.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
F
Legend
Offline
Legend
F
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
I have and still love my '06 Mustang GT as well. just about to turn 50k on it, and love the car as much as the day I bought it. Haven't even considered looking for another vehicle yet, and I usually start eying new makes/models after about 3 years. I think that may be partly because I did work to it, so it is rather unique to this area. Had it 4 years, and I still get people ask me about it.

The 2011 will come with the 5.0 engine again, named "Coyote" and put out 425hp(at the crank). They plan to put the ecoboost engine in the V6 Mustang rated just over 300hp.

Been a Ford guy my whole life, and the 1 dodge I owned was nothing but a shop squatter.

I do like the Fusion, and the MKZ though, they look like real nice cars. Not sure I'm ready to turn in my Ford muscle yet though.


We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,248
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,248
Quote:

Chrysler has never been very exceptional,...you almost have to go back to the Richard Petty days.




Honestly, I think they are managed by morons. Ford on the other hand has done exceptionally well considering the circumstances. Good job Ford!

I remember 2 or 3 years ago, in the midst of $4 gasoline (which had been edging up every year for several years) ... Dodge (Chrysler) came out with commercials for their new line-up for the following year. It included nothing but large powerful trucks and large powerful muscle cars. The one car that did get decent gas mileage (The Neon), got axed and was replaced by a car that got something like 27 or 29 mpg highway. (The Caliber) ... not to mention, it looked like Poser Barbie's version of a muscle car. Talk about having little to no foresight into the future of cars there Dodge.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,276
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,276
Will never own another Focus as long as I live! Nothing but trouble all the way across the board!!!! Cheap made, Cheap body, cheap elec. cheap interior...you name it's in there. jmho.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,346
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,346
Ford has and is doing an outstanding job regarding quality and innovation. Incidentally, across the board quality improvements began before Mulally, but there is no doubt that he has lead the manufacturer towards the front of the pack. I watched a vid of him with Leo Leporte at the Consumer Electronics Show and discovered he's a good salesman as well. They particularly discussed Sync which is a primary sponsor of Leo's webcast. Imo this technology is unmatched in the market (kudos to Microsoft also....innovation from Redmond...wow).

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,346
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,346
Quote:

I think they are managed by morons




Moronic in the past....yes, I would agree. They cashed in on the "house on wheels" craze with no foresight towards the future.

They may now face challenges they cannot overcome. Fiat effectively left our market because of substandard quality and apparently saw this as a chance to buy their way back in. They had little for the Detroit Auto Show and that speaks volumes. Recapturing market share with what may very well be a Chrysler that even loyalists may not recognize will take extraordinary measures. Measures that the best in business probably could not accomplish.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,583
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,583
I have an 87 f350 turbo diesel that has 140k on it and I feel like I just broke her in.... such a great truck! I wish i could drive it more but it's a king cab and driving around the city is a pain at 21ish feet long lol

With the sale of Jaguar I think they lost a lot of their debt they took on and use the Jaguar technology now when they owned it.

I have an 03 jag s-type sport and its amazing how much technology is in that thing that is now pretty normal stuff that people can get as everyday options.


Meh.
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 647
A
All Pro
Offline
All Pro
A
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 647
they tried to go world car with the '81 Escort on the Erika platform, but it didn't work out right. The European Escort was much better than the American version.

When they went Contour (CDW27) it didn't work out either for the investment they put in ($4bn in 1994). The Euro Contour/Mondeo was completely different.

The most successful world car they did was the '00 Focus, but since then the Focus has lost its edgy, youthful spirit and has become more Corolla-like. However, an '08 or '09 is more reliable than the '00, but it lacks the character of the original. The European ST170 or ST220 Focii are the way to go.

Taurus looks nice, however. Fiesta--not so much.

I wish they'd come up with a credible alternative to the Crown Vic for a police car--the Fox/Panther platform has been around since '79.


Go Browns!
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,531
A
Ammo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,531
Quote:

they tried to go world car with the '81 Escort on the Erika platform, but it didn't work out right. The European Escort was much better than the American version.

When they went Contour (CDW27) it didn't work out either for the investment they put in ($4bn in 1994). The Euro Contour/Mondeo was completely different.

The most successful world car they did was the '00 Focus, but since then the Focus has lost its edgy, youthful spirit and has become more Corolla-like. However, an '08 or '09 is more reliable than the '00, but it lacks the character of the original. The European ST170 or ST220 Focii are the way to go.

Taurus looks nice, however. Fiesta--not so much.

I wish they'd come up with a credible alternative to the Crown Vic for a police car--the Fox/Panther platform has been around since '79.




It'll work this time because of social media and the internet causing converging interests.

The fact that current U.S. Focus fans want the European Focus supports that.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,480
C
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
C
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,480
That and the fact that we are truly a much more global economy now - people will be much more accepting of that concept. When they tried it the first few times they were actually ahead of the game as far as global integration goes.


#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Ford unveils first global car: 2011 Ford Focus

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5