Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Browns will not draft Mays at 7. This I guarantee you.

Legend
Legend
And Brandon Graham won't make it out of the 1st round

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Most likely, but I'm not willing to 100% commit to that yet. I don't expect him to have a good combine, and as stupid as it is, that may hurt him.

Legend
Legend
I HIGHLY doubt he makes it past the Patriots. They need pass rushing OLBs.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Graham will not make it out of the first round.

Lefevor will not make it out of the third.

Blount will not make it out of the 4th.

The Graham TE from miami looks good, he will take a couple of years to develop, but he will be good.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
LeFevour will make it out of the 3rd and then some. Graham could make it out of the 1st.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
There are a couple surprises in there (at least from my perspective), but overall its quite good.

First surprise is Okung going as 3rd OT. Second is Benn going in the first round. Third is Iupati going so low. I guess I could say 4th is the Raiders making a logical pick

I believe that Brandon Graham will go earlier, 11 to Denver possibly. I can also see him ending up in Pittsburgh.

The big head scratcher for me is the same one I see in most mocks - the Seahawks taking Spiller. They have a guy that plays that speed back role already (Justion Forsett), and did it quite well when he was actually used. For some reason, Mora played Jones, who never performed well this past season. Seattle will need an RB, but a bigger guy, a Dwyer or Blount type guys, not the speed back. With Patrick Kerney supposedly retiring, DE has to be up there with LT as the top two needs for Seattle. I'd be floored if they don't take at least one of the two positions in round 1.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

The Browns will not draft Mays at 7. This I guarantee you.

He has more upside than Joe Haden does..not saying he will maximize his potential but its the draft who knows. Besides the Browns have a much greater need at Safety than CB and when players grade out almost equally needs gets the nod. You can't not convince me that Safety isn't greater need...we have one guy who is probably done playing football, a SS reject (Elam) and a FS project (Adams).

We have an NFL caliber CB we don't have a NFL caliber safety.

Graham will not measure well which should help out cause to get him dropped...I thought that about Larry guy the chargers drafted too tho.

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Mays does not have more upside than Haden. He is a more freakish athlete, but he doesn't have better upside.

It's not about need. It's about value. And the value for Mays at 7 is terrible.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Mays does not have more upside than Haden. He is a more freakish athlete, but he doesn't have better upside.

Yeah upside Mays could revolutionize the safety position...big as a linebacker fast as a corner. He could end up like a Bob Sanders but with 40 extra pounds behind him..Joe Haden as good as he could be, would be comparable to other players such as Revis (we wish), Baily, or whoever. Mays would have no equal if we could get him to maximize his potential. Can you name another Safety with the measurables that Mays posses? Because Mays is so talented that would allow him to do things other safeties in the league couldn't. That kind of a player is by definition a top ten pick.

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He doesn't have the instincts to revolutionize the position. Nor is he fluid enough. He has the size, speed, and strength, but not all the skills. He can be a very good player. Haden can be the best.

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah upside Mays could revolutionize the safety position...big as a linebacker fast as a corner. He could end up like a Bob Sanders but with 40 extra pounds behind him..Joe Haden as good as he could be, would be comparable to other players such as Revis (we wish), Baily, or whoever. Mays would have no equal if we could get him to maximize his potential. Can you name another Safety with the measurables that Mays posses? Because Mays is so talented that would allow him to do things other safeties in the league couldn't. That kind of a player is by definition a top ten pick.

I have to agree with Deep on this one....no way Mays go #7 to us or top 15 for that matter. Sometimes there is more to football then just measurables...if not, then the Raiders would be playing in the Superbowl every year

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Legend
Legend
Mays physical abilities can make him a force of nature. No one can disagree with that. However I just don't think he has the brains or the cover skills to maximize his abilities.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I'd say his physical abilities are overrated.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Sometimes there is more to football then just measurables...if not, then the Raiders would be playing in the Superbowl every year

This is one of the best statements I've seen on this board in a long time.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Quote:

Updated 2/1/10

Round 1

1. St. Louis Rams: Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
2. Detroit Lions: Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Joe Haden, CB, Florida
4. Washington Redskins: C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson
5. Kansas City Chiefs: Anthony Davis, T, Rutgers
6. Seattle Seahawks: Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
7. Cleveland Browns: Eric Berry, S, Tennessee
8. Oakland Raiders: Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida
9. Buffalo Bills: Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
10. Jacksonville Jaguars: Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech
11. Denver Broncos (from CHI): Rolando McClain, LB, Alabama
12. Miami Dolphins: Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
13. San Francisco 49ers: Bruce Campbell, T, Maryland
14. Seattle Seahawks (from DEN): Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan
15. New York Giants: Earl Thomas, S, Texas
16. Tennessee Titans: Russell Okung, T, Oklahoma State
17. San Francisco 49ers (from CAR): Mike Iupati, G, Idaho
18. Pittsburgh Steelers: Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State
19. Atlanta Falcons: Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida
20. Houston Texans: Jared Odrick, DL, Penn State
21. Cincinnati Bengals: Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
22. New England Patriots: Sergio Kindle, LB, Texas
23. Green Bay Packers: Trent Williams, T, Oklahoma
24. Philadelphia Eagles: Bryan Bulaga, T, Iowa
25. Baltimore Ravens: Arrelious Benn, WR, Illinois
26. Arizona Cardinals: Brandon Spikes, LB, Florida
27. Dallas Cowboys: Nate Allen, S, South Florida
28. San Diego Chargers: Jonathan Dwyer, RB, Georgia Tech
29. New York Jets: Arthur Jones, DT, Syracuse
30. Minnesota Vikings: Tony Pike, QB, Cincinnati
31. New Orleans Saints: Ricky Sapp, LB, Clemson
32. Indianapolis Colts: Brian Price, DT, UCLA

2nd round

33. St. Louis Rams: Demaryius Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech
34. Detroit Lions: Perrish Cox, CB/RS, Oklahoma State
35. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee
36. Washington Redskins: Charles Brown, T, USC
37. Kansas City Chiefs: Taylor Mays, S, USC
38. Seattle Seahawks: Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida
39. Cleveland Browns: Everson Griffen, DE, USC

A few notes:

--I think CJ Spiller’s speed will get him in the top 5. Nobody wants to miss the next Chris Johnson, potentially.

--I can see Sam Bradford dropping way down if the Seahawks don’t take him at either 6 or 14. The personnel people I talked with in Mobile are extremely concerned about the structural stability of his shoulder

--Keeping with that injury risk theme, I factored health flags in this version more harshly than normal. Many players that you expect to see higher up, or missing altogether, are slotted lower for injury reasons.

--As always, please do not mistake this for what I would do with the picks. This is my best guesstimate as to what the given teams would do in the given situations. It may or may not be the same decision I would make. I do a 7-round “What I would do” mock on the message board here at RealGM the week after the Combine, if you must see into my head...

web page

Can read the entrie 4 round mock draft on the link above. I have no issues with Berry falling to us.

I would much rather take Golden Tate, Brandon La Fell, Cody or J. Best over Giffien from USC. Granted I dont know much about him but I have watched USC play a ton this seaons and he never stood out to me.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

30. Minnesota Vikings: Tony Pike, QB, Cincinnati

Let's ignore the fact they have 4 QBs on their roster including two young guys (if they still have JDBooty)

But why would you take a QB everyone has in around the 3rd or 4th round, in the first?

Especially one with only one year as a starter, didn't play the whole year, and probably has to learn to get under the snap.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I agree.

cfrs15 #458508 02/03/10 10:49 PM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/02/cleveland_browns_tom_heckert_i.html

Cleveland Browns Tom Heckert impressed by Florida's Tim Tebow
By Mary Kay Cabot
February 03, 2010, 8:51PM
Gus Chan / The Plain DealerBrowns' new general manager Tom Heckert was impressed with Florida's Tim Tebow at the Senior Bowl.CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Browns General Manager Tom Heckert just returned from the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala. and had good things to say about Florida quarterback Tim Tebow, who was criticized sharply by experts such as ESPN's Todd McShay.

"I think (Tebow) knew (he'd take heat) there and he went way up in my book for doing that, because originally there was talk that he wasn't going to go,'' said Heckert at the Greater Cleveland Sports Awards, where he was a presenter. "I think it's great that he went. He's a competitor and he wants to show what he can do. I thought it was great that he showed up, I really did. Because he knew what was going to happen."

Heckert disagrees with the critics who say Tebow can't play quarterback in the NFL, that he'd have to try another position such as tight end.

"I think he's going to be a quarterback first of all,'' said Heckert. "Now, where he goes, and how well he plays, that's the question. Everything besides actually playing the position, he's got it all. He's everything you want, the greatest kid in the world. People can knock him all they want, but he won a ton of games. And they didn't just run the ball. He threw the ball and threw the ball well. It's tough to knock a kid like that, but to say he's going to be a franchise quarterback, that's going to be a big decision for whoever takes him.''

He said Tebow's intangibles can make up for a lot of his shortcomings.

"You've seen guys with maybe not the strongest arm or a different delivery, they've won games,'' Heckert said. "It's really hard to overlook the other stuff. I think somebody's going to get a good player. How high he goes and what he does in the long term, who knows?''

He also said he thinks Tebow's mechanical flaws can be corrected.

"I'm sure they're going to get with an ex-quarterback coach or somebody like that,'' he said. "Maybe they already have. He can't completely change his whole thing because that's tough to do. He does have a little longer delivery, but he can shorten that up a little bit. But he's not going to change a whole lot of what he does, because he won a lot of games doing what he's doing.''

Heckert addressed a number of other issues:

• On suspended receiver Donte Stallworth, who's eligible for re-instatement on Monday: "We really haven't (made a decision). It's something (Browns owner Randy Lerner) is probably going to be involved in as well. We'll have to discuss it as an organization.

• On linebacker D'Qwell Jackson, who's recovering from surgery to repair a torn pectoral muscle. Jackson will be a restricted free agent in what figures to be an uncapped 2010 season: "We have not started (negotiations). Obviously we like him and we think he's a good player. We'll just have to see how it goes.''

• On the roster: "We have probably more talent than I originally thought as an outsider looking in. Plus you throw in the draft picks and we have some money to do something in free agency if there's somebody available, so I think we have a chance to be a better football team.

• On Harrison, who would also be restricted with no cap: "It's a projection. He did a heck of a job at the end of the season, but whether a guy like Jerome can carry the ball that much throughout the whole season, that's a little difficult to say. But at least he proved that he can play in the league. It was unknown until this year, so I think he did himself a favor and we think he's a good player.'

• On the quarterbacks: "It's probably a little too early to say on (Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson). It's a difficult decision and we have to get together and we have not made any decisions on anybody. That's going to be something that's going to happen down the road. They both have talent, there's no doubt about it. They both played well at times and we'll have to wait and see what happens.

-- My .02: I'd love to see Tebow here. Will he be a great pro? I don't know, but I'd love the national attention and built in fan base Tebow would bring to the Browns. It would be cool.
The way I see it, if the whole draft is a risk, then why not take a risk on a player that was one of the greatest college qb's of all time.
It would be cool to have him here.

Legend
Legend
I'm going to start making my noose now...

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I'm going to start making my noose now...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Much GM blabber meaning nothing. Uh, they have a fine team and play good defense, that XYZ guy is a good QB.. He has good football skills.. They are well coached.. we need to sit down and make a decision as a organization...

Was he channeling Lou Holtz?

"Yawn"

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
I had a horrible nightmare that the Browns drafted Tebow with the 7th pick

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

I had a horrible nightmare that the Browns drafted Tebow with the 7th pick

That won't happen. - Maybe take him with our first pick in the third round though.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wouldn't even mind him in the 3rd.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

I wouldn't even mind him in the 3rd.

This is the thing I don't get about QBs and the draft. Either you think a guy can start at quarterback or he can't. A 3rd-round pick is a starting guard or RT... A nice LB prospect. Maybe even a starting safety or running back. I just don't understand how QBs have a 3rd-round "value" but not first or second-round value. To me, any player you draft in the first three rounds has to have starter ability, especially if you're a losing team. The value of a backup is never as high as the value of a starter.

Can someone please offer a differing opinion?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
High bust factor, limited passing potential and long development time are why Tebow is only a 3rd rounder.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

High bust factor, limited passing potential and long development time are why Tebow is only a 3rd rounder.

That's what I mean... why spend a 3rd-round pick on a guy who is likely to bust and best-case scenario is a 3-year project when it could be a starter at another position?

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I thought Spiller going that high was a bit of a suprise. I think that could really shake up some draft boards if that happens. I wouldn't mind it as it gives a better chance to get the player we want.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

That's what I mean... why spend a 3rd-round pick on a guy who is likely to bust and best-case scenario is a 3-year project when it could be a starter at another position?

Because the QB is the most important position on the field, and someone like Tebow might have a potential that is very high.

Every player has a risk of bust. Sam Bradford has a shoulder issue which leads to durability concerns, Jimmy Clausen has character issues (I just think he reminds me of a real jerk) and played for Notre Dame (the same school that gave Quinn a high completion percentage).

Tony Pike has issues so does Jevan Sneed, so does everyone, QB or WR or any position. No one is a guarenteed "Hit" and no one is a guarenteed superstar. So it's a matter of value between how much of a sure thing as well as how good can they possibly get.

If Tebow turns into the next Steve McNair or something, drafting him in the 3rd round would be great. Not every QB looks like a protypical starting NFL QB right away. And sometimes people can suprise us. I didn't think Joe Flacco was going to be able to start right away, but he did and was better than anyone else on that team.

And where do you get this three-year project from. May be it's one year before he's ready to start, may be he can start toward the end of the year this year. We don't really know. May be he'll have a great offseason this year and makes some of the necessary changes to his game. And then slowly, throughout his career, he becomes a better passer and less of a runner (like McNabb and Steve McNair did).

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 02/04/10 10:42 AM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
So how about that Everson Griffen, DE, from USC, anyone got any insight/info on him?

Legend
Legend
Round 1

1. St. Louis Rams: Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska

2. Detroit Lions: Eric Berry, S, Tennessee

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Russell Okung, T, Oklahoma State

4. Washington Redskins: Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame

5. Kansas City Chiefs: Joe Haden, CB, Florida

6. Seattle Seahawks: Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida

7. Cleveland Browns: Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma

8. Oakland Raiders: Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma

9. Buffalo Bills: Anthony Davis, T, Rutgers

10. Jacksonville Jaguars: Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech

11. Denver Broncos (from CHI): Rolando McClain, LB, Alabama

12. Miami Dolphins: Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State

13. San Francisco 49ers: Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan

14. Seattle Seahawks (from DEN): Jonathan Dwyer, RB, Georgia Tech

15. New York Giants: Mike Iupati, G, Idaho

16. Tennessee Titans: Bruce Campbell, T, Maryland

17. San Francisco 49ers (from
CAR):
Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida

18. Pittsburgh Steelers: Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State

19. Atlanta Falcons: Jared Odrick, DL, Penn State

20. Houston Texans: Arrelious Benn, WR, Illinois

21. Cincinnati Bengals: Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma

22. New England Patriots: Brandon Spikes, LB, Florida

23. Green Bay Packers: Trent Williams, T, Oklahoma

24. Philadelphia Eagles: Taylor Mays, S, USC

25. Baltimore Ravens: Demaryius Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech

26. Arizona Cardinals: Sergio Kindle, LB, Texas

27. Dallas Cowboys: Bryan Bulaga, T, Iowa

28. San Diego Chargers: C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson

29. New York Jets: Arthur Jones, DT, Syracuse

30. Minnesota Vikings: Brian Price, DT, UCLA

31. New Orleans Saints: Perrish Cox, CB, Oklahoma State

32. Indianapolis Colts: Earl Thomas, S, Texas

Notes:
Eric Berry is the second best talent in the draft, I think Detroit realises that, Swartz gives his Defense an identity

Mike Shannahan likes young guns with attitude (Cutler). Clausen fits that mold, and may even get the benefit of sitting for a year with Cambell still there.

The Chiefs need help on defense, but have spent so much on drafting upfront already, they grab up the best corner in the draft.

I don't think our QB is on this roster, if Bradfords shoulder checks out, and he falls to us, Holmgren will grab him up, and with our running game, he can possibly have Sanchez-like "success".

If Seattles smart, they'll realise they already have a speed back in forsett, and take Dwyer to complement him, this causes Spiller to drop and replace LT in San Diego, unless someone trades up for him.

Safeties Mays and Thomas, Philly really missed the attitude that was Dawkins, Mays gives them the physical presence they need, and Thomas is almost a clone of Bob Sanders.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I dont think our QB is on our roster either. Not sure if we get on via trade, draft, or FA. I havent been able to get a feel for Holmgren yet.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I have a feeling that we will see Kevin Kolb at QB this off-season.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I'd be fairly upset if we didn't draft Gerald McCoy if he was there when we draft.

Actually, I'd be very upset.

you had a good run Hank.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Agreed. I think there are three elite guys in this year's draft. Suh, Berry, and McCoy. NFL Network's Mike Mayock even has McCoy ahead of Suh.

If we passed on one of them I would be upset. Also, Manholmkert's background shows that they like to draft offensive/defensive linemen early. If he's there we take him. I just don't think he will be there.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

I have a feeling that we will see Kevin Kolb at QB this off-season.

Where?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'd be fairly upset if we didn't draft Gerald McCoy if he was there when we draft.

Actually, I'd be very upset.

Ill admit to not knowing that much about him. I just have a feeling that Bradfords a guy that will prove a lot of doubters wrong about his injury. And I'd like him to do that here.

In order of preference for Cle I'd take.

Berry
Hayden
Bradford
Trade down for McClain.

I leave out Suh and McCoy due to not being familiar with mccoy and knowing suh won't be there.

If we don't take Bradford, I'd like Colt McCoy in around the 3rd round. Paired up with Matt Hasselbeck.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

And where do you get this three-year project from. May be it's one year before he's ready to start, may be he can start toward the end of the year this year.

It's been a heavy majority opinion for a while now...

Washington Post

Quote:

As a whole, it's going to be a long process for Tebow to develop into a better quarterback. I'm slowly coming around to the idea that he could be a starter in the NFL, however it wouldn't happen for at least two years. This is just one step in the process of developing Tebow into an NFL quarterback

Yahoo.com Sports

Quote:

I can tell you what will happen if Tebow stays in Florida. Fans will expect immediate greatness. They won’t stay patient and wait for what is likely to be a protracted period of development if Tebow does indeed play quarterback at the next level.
Tebow is going to be in a similar situation if he lands in Jacksonville. If the process was done correctly, he’d sit and develop for a number of years behind current starter David Garrard

Draft Countdown

Quote:

A long-term project who will likely require at least 2-3 years of development but can contribute in other ways in the meantime

These are just a few examples. You can find more if you look, but I didn't feel like it.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
So, I spent some time while sick this week (a) coming up with my big board, which is a combo of boards, plus a lot of reading, notes from games this season, and senior bowl performances (b) all 32 team's needs and (c) a needs based mock.

I did a full 4 rounds, then projected the remaining picks for the Browns...

1.....St Louis.....Ndamukong Suh
I contemplated Clausen and would not be surprised if Clausen is a Ram come April. I can see a trade dropping St. Louis down a spot or two to make it happen, but I'm not doing trades in this draft and Suh is the best guy in the draft.
2.....Detroit.....Gerald McCoy
McCoy was the second best defensive lineman in the NCAA this past season IMHO. Detroit can't go wrong with him. Berry was a close second choice.
3.....Tampa Bay.....Derrick Morgan
Surprise. Not sure why exactly I chose Morgan over Berry here, call it a gut feeling, and he fllls a huge need.
4.....Washington.....Jimmy Clausen.
Bradford or Clausen is the question. From the sites I trust, Clausen is rated higher than Bradford more often, so I went Clausen.
5.....Kansas City.....Eric Berry
KC could go OT or safety here. I can't imagine KC passing up on such a potential impact player over an OT, when many OTs can be had later in the draft.
6.....Seattle.....Joe Haden
Seattle's defensive backfield was very poor last year. Trufant was injured most of the year and struggled when he came back. Kelly Jennings has underperformed, and Josh Wilson shows potential. Haden is a big upgrade and has the potential to make Seattle's two starting DBs the best in football (assuming Trufant returns to form)
7.....Cleveland.....Brandon Graham.....OLB
Tough choice here. Thoughts were Bradford, Iupati, McClain, Okung, and Graham. Graham dominated the senior bowl and fills a big need. I didn't go with Bradford solely because I think Holmgren has other plans (again a gut feeling, nothing concrete), but I can seem him making a splash in his first draft with a QB.

Remaining Browns picks
38.....Jermaine Gresham.....TE
I was surprised to see him still available at 38 and doubt this will be the case come draft day, but he was available in my draft and fills a need, so...
71.....Morgan Burnett.....SS
92.....Jordan Shipley.....WR
102.....Kyle Calloway.....OT
130.....John Jerry.....OG
133.....Major Wright.....FS
156.....Pat Angerer.....ILB
167.....James Starks.....RB
175.....Devin Ross.....CB
198.....Freddie Barnes.....WR

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Your (and My) Mock Drafts

Link Copied to Clipboard