Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
Legend
Legend
C
I gotta say, if our first two picks went like that I would be extremely happy.

A guy to get after the QB and a TE who can catch the ball.

Not too far fetched either.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Sorry dude, but there is no chance that Graham goes top 10. He's a late 1st rounder.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Why?

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
mid to late, yes probably - though I'm thinking he'll go a little earlier than most think he will.

i'd guess the Browns would go with Bradford if my first 6 were the case. i wound't be upset with that pick, but i went with the guy I liked the most. if the first 6 in my draft were the first six taken in reality, who'd you grab?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Supposedly limited upside. Teams don't like his lack of elite athleticism.

clwb, I'd take Bradford there.

Legend
Legend
There's talk that St Louis, like every team that's ever had the 1st pick, wants to trade out of it.

My question is, is there anyone here that wants Suh enough to trade up for him?

I didn't have McCoy at our pick because I don't think DT is a glaring top ten pick type of need right now.

I'm not sure how Suh fits in the 3-4, he's around the build of a Richard Seymore, no?

What's our new Green Bay/Seattle/Phillys FO past philosophy when it comes to top ten picks? Mangini wants to trade down we know that, but we already have 11 picks.
We could pull a Bmore and trade down and then trade back up?

Who knows. Is it April yet?

C
Legend
Legend
C
But, if at the combine Graham proves he doesn't athleticism then he can most definitely go top 10. Right? If he runs anything under a 4.65 I'd say he is a top 10 pick.

I'm not normally in favor of drafting guys who have to switch positions in the 1st round. But Graham has thoroughly impressed me.

He was good in high school. He was good in college. I don't see how he won't be good in the pros.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
solid choice. my biggest fear is that Suh, McCoy, Berry, Clausen, Bradford, and Haden are the first 6 taken.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

solid choice. my biggest fear is that Suh, McCoy, Berry, Clausen, Bradford, and Haden are the first 6 taken.

Trade down or take Okung and have the best Oline for the next 10 years.

R
2nd String
2nd String
R
Quote:

I'm not normally in favor of drafting guys who have to switch positions in the 1st round. But Graham has thoroughly impressed me.

Sounds like someone else that we recently drafted in the 1st.
Is that you Phil... (sorry couldn't resist)
Take McClain

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Trade down or take Okung and have the best Oline for the next 10 years.

If the first six went that way, who would want to trade up to the 7th pick? We'd either trade down at lousy value or have to keep it.

This is the worst case scenario IMHO.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I take Dez Bryant with no regrets.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would have thought you would take McClain. I don't see us taking him since MH is a pass/stop the pass kind of guy and McClain is more of a run stopper.

As for Bryant, if this scenario played out, I would probably take him too. But with some regrets.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
As much as I love McClain, the value for an ILB isn't as good as a WR, and they are both top 5 players IMO.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Get your point.

Personally I would be ecstatic if Berry fell to us and extremely disappointed if Haden didn't. The other 2 I would like are Suh and McCoy but no way either fall to us. without some kind of combine controversy (in which cae I might change my tune).

I would also consider Bradford if the shoulder is healthy - this will tell us a lot about the kid ie what kind of worker he is, how hard he rehabbed.

After that I would probably favor trade down if possible. Otherwise Bryant, but I wouldn't be happy about it.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Well heres my mock so far, subject to change after the combine of-course.

Free agents signings

Troy Smith
from Baltimore for a 5th round pick, worht the shot to let him compete and see if he can do somethign for us, and he comes pretty cheap.

Torry Holt
Rumors a circulating that Jacksonville will cut him. Still has some play left in him and he would be the perfect guy to groom our young guy's.

Dunta Robinson
Probably on the out's with Houston after his long hold out. Solid corner to help solidify our secondary.

Draft

1- Eric Berry S Tennessee
The more I look at it the more I think he could slip to us. The teams drafting ahead of us could defiantely use some help in some other areas and I think they will try and land a safety in the second round beign as this year is kind of deep with em'.

2- Dominique Franks CB Oklahoma
Speedy guy who has tons of experience in a pass happy Big 12. Descent size and a solid tackler. With Wright, Berry, Robinson and Franks our secondary immediately go's from sub-par to a strength.

3a- George Selvie DE/OLB
Selvie could have went as early as the first round last year and theres still a possibility he could go in the second. But with so much talent through the first few rounds Selvie is probably going to slip. Paul-Pierre is the one getting all the attention but I think it was Selvie who helped to make that happen. I hope he sends Selvie a thank you card.

3b- Mike Johnson G Alabama
This guy is a future pro-bowler and has a bright future in the NFL. Great pass blocker and run blocker. Watched him in the National Championship game and what I seen was a dominant guard who could probably step right in from day one. Could go higher but as it stands right now he can be had around this general area. Hopefully it stays that way

4- Jason Fox OT Miami
A bit slim for the position but he is smart, athletic and has alot of room to grow. Been the starter at LT in Miami since his freshman year and has done a pretty good job. Would move to RT for us and with time could be a special player. Has to work on his technique and gain a little weight but if he has a good showing at the combine then he could go a bit higher based on potential alone.

5a- Jeremy Williams WR Tulane
This guy does it all. He was one of the bess receivers in college, returned kicks and rushed the ball. Has had some injury concerns but he's still been able to put up solid numbers. Isn't super fast but runs good routes and is a good blocker. Reminds me a little bit of Percy Harvin in his versatility, could be a pretty big pipe dream to land him here but teams might shy away from him because of his injury history.

5b- Al Woods DL LSU
Big guy who has experience at both DT and DE. Needs a little more experience and time to develop and we need youth on the defensive line.

6a- Mike Williams WR Syracuse
We need help at receiver and bringing in two guys with mid to lower round picks that have potential is probably a bright thing to do. Williams has had a bit of a troublesome college career but theres no doubt that he has talent. If he pans out then it's great but if he proves to be problematic or doesn't develop he's only a 6th round pick and we can just cut him and it won't be the end of the world. Definately worth a look.

6b- Arthur Moats LB James Madison
Not an overly huge guy at 6'1" 250lbs but he has alot of speed. Completely dominated the FCS in tackles for a loss and even added 11 sacks, making it two years in a row he recorded double digit sacks. Could be one of those small school gems.

7- Lorenzo Washington DE Alabama
Depth and a developmental guy. Has experience playing the 3-4.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Berry will not fall to us at 7. There are three elite guys in this draft (Suh, McCoy, and Berry). Why would a team with a need at safety pass on a potential All-Pro safety? They won't.

Torry Holt has dropped off these passed two seasons. He had no TD's this year. If he was worth anything a semi-contender like Jacksonville wouldn't be getting rid of him. He's had a great career but will be 34 when the next season starts, he will not be a help to any team that plans on contending.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Teams draftingahead of us are...

Rams- needs at QB, DL, OG, CB, WR
No need at Safety so they go Suh

Lions- Needs at DL, CB, OL
No need for a saftey they go McCoy or Okung

Tampa- Needs at DL, WR, CB, S
They have young safteys in Sabby and Jackson If the Lions go Okung which they probably will Tampa go's McCoy

Washington- Needs at OL, LB, RB, Possibly QB if Snyder pushes it.
They have no need at saftey so they could either go QB or they could go with McClain

Kansas City- Needs at OL, LB, WR, S
They have a need for a safety but they have the worst offensive line in football. This pick will go to one of the top LT's available. Pioli KNOWS you need a good offensive line to win in this game.

Seattle- Needs at OL, QB, RB, WR, S, DL
Matt Hasslbeck is pretty much finished, the offensive line is old and they don't have a go to reciever. They have two first round picks and an early 2nd round pick with a deep draft class for the saftey position. They could go many different ways but safety I don't think is one of them this early. Also startign LT Walter Jones has either retired or is hinting at it. They need a replacement.

Say what you will but there is a real possiblity Berry WILL fall to us.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The reason I want Holt here is because he can still contribute a little bit and he can also take our young guy's under his wing and help them learn the position better. Look at how he helped with Mike Thomas and Mike Sims-Walker. And yes he had a major role in they're development, which is why Jags fans want to keep him.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Teams don't pass on All-Pro talent because of other position needs. When you finish 1-15, 2-14, 3-13, etc you take the best player available.

Anyway, here's a look at the safeties for the teams that draft before us:

Rams - Someone named Craig Dahl, Someone named David Roach, a player released mid-season by a playoff contender in Clinton Hart, and a stop gap Spagnuolo brought with him from the Giants (James Butler). There is a clear need at safety on the Rams. They need a safety.

Lions - Marquand Manuel, a guy who has played for four teams the last four years and six teams in right years in the league, Kalvin Pearson, a 31 year old guy I've never heard of, Louis Delmas a guy who should start long term in the league, and Ko Simpson (started the last four games of the season, but Berry would be a clear upgrade). Daniel Bullocks missed the entire 2007 and 2009 seasons due to injury. They need a safety.

Buccaneers - Sabby Piscatelli a average player can start in the league, Corey Lynch has never started in two years in the NFL (he's the dude that blocked the kick for Appalachian State against Michigan), and Tanard Jackson a clear starter and possible future star. Will Allen was injured most of the 2009 season and is a solid starter. Berry will be the best player available if he's there when they pick, but they don't have a clear need at safety.

Redskins - Reed Doughty started seven games for them this past season and is an average starter, Chris Horton is an above average starter when healthy, they have someone named Lendy Holmes, LaRon Landry is an above average to good player, and they have someone named Kareem Moore also who had one start and one pick at safety in 2009. Berry would be an upgrade over Horton, but they have some depth at the position with Doughty. Berry would be the best player available if he's available in this slot. Also, it seems like Shanahan would want to go offense in his first draft back.

Chiefs - DaJuan Morgan started two games for them last year, Jarrad Page started for two straight seasons and the first five games of the 2009 season before being put on the IR, Mike Brown started all sixteen games for them at safety but will be 32 when the 2010 season starts and has been injury prone his entire career, Reshard Langford didn't play in any games for them last year, Jon McGraw is mostly a special teamer who can play when needed. Scott Pioli was with the Patriots from 2000 to 2008, in that time the Patriots always had pretty good safeties. Yes, Pioli knows that you need a good O-Line, but he probably also knows you need a good safety to direct your secondary. Berry will be the best player available if available and the Chiefs have a need at safety.

Seahawks - Deon Grant has started every game for nine seasons. You don't do that being a bad player. He is 30 years old though. Last year Jordan Babineaux started all sixteen games for the first time in his career. Lawyer Milloy is ancient. Jamar Adams has never started a game in two years. The Seahawks could keep both Babineaux and Grant and be okay, but Berry would be an upgrade over both. He would also be the best player available at this spot.

Like I said before. There are three elite players in this draft (Suh, McCoy, and Berry). Teams with an obvious need at safety will not pass up the best player available at a position of need.

I understand you want Berry (as do I) but we have to be realistic about this. The only way we get him is if we trade up.

I agree Holt would mentor our young receivers. But we already have a guy who is around to do that. His name is George McDonald. If Holt came in understanding that he is no longer a #1 receiver and didn't demand top dollar I think he would be a good fit in the role Joe Jurevicius played. I don't think he's capable of much more.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Rams- You conviently forgot O.J Otogwe, one of the top safety's in the leagueprior tohis off year last year, partly because of his injury. Again Safety's not a need.

Lions- Terrible offensive line, drafted a QB last year first overall, would make sense to protect him wouldn't it? Safety position is just fine and is no way shape or form needed over offensive or defensive line. And no teams go 1-15, 2-14.....because they refuse to draft for the holes they need. Everybody in the league knows Detroit needs offensive and defensive lineman.

Tampa- you said it, not a clear need at safety

Redskins- Horton and Landry are emerging stars. End of story, no need at safety.

Chiefs- They need offensive line help in the worst way. Pioliis smart enough to know that he can walk away with a good left tackle here and draft one of the talented safety's that could be there in the second round. Earl Thomas, Chad Jones or Nate Allen one or two could be there when they pick in the second round. I would much rather walk away with a starting left tackle and a second tier safety then a star safety and a second tier left tackle. That shouldn't even be questioned. They have more glaring holes than saftey.

Seahawks- This could be the wild card because this is the ONLY place I see Berry landing, however like I said they have needs everywhere. They could go a number of ways here. They could go QB, OL, DL, S, hell they could even go Dez Bryant (not very likely though). I put this pick the same way I put the Chiefs. They have alot of holes to fill that are more glaring than the safety position. Plus they have another first round pick and a second round pick that either one could land them a saftey. Do you think that Carroll isn't thinking that Mays could fall to their pick at 14 and they could draft him there? Hell if he doesn't they can draft Earl Thomas.

I love Eric Berry as much as the next guy but that is NOT the reason I think he will fall. That would be idiotic.

Looking at the players available, the situations they are in and the way they can go about filling the holes they have I firmly believe that there is a strong chance Berry will be available when we pick, and it's not just a pipe dream.

As for Holt you said we have George McDonald. O.k I will counter that with.......We have George McDonald This is his second year at the pro level coaching Receivers, it's not like he is some sort of guru. Young players benefit from having a veteran presence at thier position. Only problem is Holt is at that age now where he would probably like to join a contender. He's getting up there in age and has had the taste of a superbowl and i'm sure he would love to get it again.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think there is ver little chance that Berry falls to us.

Rams: Will take Suh, Bradford, or Clausen. I think Suh at this point.
Lions: Will take Suh or McCoy. With Suh gone, it's McCoy. Okung would be a terrible reach at #2.
Bucs: Will take McCoy, (if he's still there) Haden, Berry or Bryant. I think Bryant at this point.
Redskins: Will take Okung, Bradford, Clausen or Anthony Davis. I think Clausen.
Seahawks: Will take Okung, Bradford, Clausen, Derrick Morgan, Eric Berry, or Anthony Davis. I think Berry.

N
Legend
Legend
N
also, let us not underestimate someone realizing our dire need at safety and jumping us to pick Berry....

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
So who will the chiefs take?

Legend
Legend
My prediction

Rams: Suh - BPA and makes them have a sick D-line

Lions: McCoy - Need a DT bad

Bucs: Berry - Would be perfect in a Tampa 2. Hope they pick Haden because Barber is old

Cheifs: Mcclain - They have the D-line but they continue to build on front 7

Redskins: Clausen or Bradford - Could be Okung because their O-line stinks

Seahawks: Okung - Walter Jones just retired. I could also see one of the remaining QBs.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They are going to forfeit the pick.

Somehow I forgot the team that I think Berry goes to. The Chiefs have a huge need at safety, and he will be the BPA there.

C
Legend
Legend
C
My bad, I missed Atogwe because the depth charts I was looking at didn't include guys that were on the injured reserve. And I guess I forgot to look at the injured reserve for the Rams.

So even if Atogwe is healthy they still have a need at safety as you need two safeties.

Also, Chris Horton, a future star a safety. Please. He is a nice player, but no future star.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You don't need a star at every position. Also, Berry and Atogwe both play FS. No way the Rams take him, and I have about a million reasons.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I don't think the Rams will take him either. Just pointing out that he would fit with them if they wanted him.

I think the Rams will take Suh or McCoy.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I think there is very little chance that Berry falls to us.

Rams: Will take Suh, Bradford, or Clausen. I think Suh at this point.
Lions: Will take Suh or McCoy. With Suh gone, it's McCoy. Okung would be a terrible reach at #2.
Bucs: Will take McCoy, (if he's still there) Haden, Berry or Bryant. I think Bryant at this point.
Redskins: Will take Okung, Bradford, Clausen or Anthony Davis. I think Clausen.
Seahawks: Will take Okung, Bradford, Clausen, Derrick Morgan, Eric Berry, or Anthony Davis. I think Berry.

I disagree if the draft played out this way I don't think the Seahawks even question taking Okung. I really wouldn't even be suprised if they take Bradford. Carroll is an offensive minded guy and he's gonna wanna get a QB of the future.

I could see the Chiefs either going McClain or Okung.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

My bad, I missed Atogwe because the depth charts I was looking at didn't include guys that were on the injured reserve. And I guess I forgot to look at the injured reserve for the Rams.

So even if Atogwe is healthy they still have a need at safety as you need two safeties.

Also, Chris Horton, a future star a safety. Please. He is a nice player, but no future star.

Horton had 76 tackles, 1 sack, 3 interceptions and 5 passes deflected his rookie year as a 7th round pick and only played in 14 games. He was injured this year. Yes the guy is an emerging star.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Carroll is admittedly a defensive guy, and Okung is gonna drop. Just watch.

An inside linebacker will not go top 5. Patrick Willis didn't, Jarod Mayo didn't, and Rolando McClain won't.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I wouldn't say won't. Looking back, Willis should have gone top 5.

And I know he's not an inside linebacker, but last year Aaron Curry went top 5.

If a guy is good enough he will go top 5. Is McClain good enough? Probably not.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

An inside linebacker will not go top 5. Patrick Willis didn't, Jarod Mayo didn't, and Rolando McClain won't.

but AJ Hawk did.

agree that McClain likely drops...but it just takes one team falling in love with him to take him. with the DL and DB options though, it would be surrpising this year.

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Hasn;t happened for awhile but in the early 90s, it was all the rage

Marvin Jones in 1993
Quentin Coryatt in 1992
Junior Seau 1990

I happen to agree with you deep although I think McClain is a better prospect than either Willis or Mayo was.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
AJ was drafted as an outside backer I think.

Legend
Legend
Green Bay ran a 4-3 at the time so I think they did draft Hawk to be a ILB.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I double checked on this.... Hawk played OLB until GB switched to a 3-4. Packers MLB in the 4-3 was Nick Barnett.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He has always been an OLB until this year.

There hasn't been an ILB taken top 5 in a long time.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think he's similar to Willis. Willis offered mover schematic versatility, but McClain is more of a thumper.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Your (and My) Mock Drafts

Link Copied to Clipboard