Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
See above...1993. It was all the rage to do it in the early 90s.

I think McClain has a shot of going top 5 this year for the following reasons:
A) There is no elite RB in this draft
B) There is no franchise left tackle in this draft
C) The top two QBs have serious question marks.

In most years, I'd say he'd have little shot of breaking top five, but with the weak elite class this year, there's a case to be made for him.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I double checked on this.... Hawk played OLB until GB switched to a 3-4. Packers MLB in the 4-3 was Nick Barnett.

Okay for some reason I thought Barnett was hurt which caused Hawk to make the switch my mistake.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I like McClain due to the rave reviews about his leadership and defensive smarts. Having a true field general out there can do big things for a defense.

When we gave away Brian Russell, our defense got immediately worse. Not because he was great skill wise but because he had good vision and field smarts and could direct a D.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Quote:

I double checked on this.... Hawk played OLB until GB switched to a 3-4. Packers MLB in the 4-3 was Nick Barnett.

Okay for some reason I thought Barnett was hurt which caused Hawk to make the switch my mistake.

No, you are right there....hawk played inside in the 4-3 when Barnett got hurt, but he was drafted as an OLB and played his first two years outside.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
But there are two top DT's, a top WR, two QB's who could very easily go top 5, a top safety, and a top corner. All of those positions are valued ahead of ILB.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I can't remember a draft where I liked this many guys who will be avavilable at our spot. McClain, Haden, Iupati, Graham, Bryant. Give me any of these guys and I will be happy. Trade down and I will be happier.

C
Legend
Legend
C
What a terrible QB class. Sam Bradford and Jimmy Clausen as top 5 QB's. Yikes. I'm glad we don't need a QB....

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I love Bradford.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

But there are two top DT's, a top WR, two QB's who could very easily go top 5, a top safety, and a top corner. All of those positions are valued ahead of ILB.

True....but

Safeties also very rarely go top 5.
The two QBs are questionable.... one did not consistently show he could win (Clausen) and the other has an injured shoulder that hasn;t been greenlighted yet (Bradford).
Dez Bryant has some mixed reviews on him and some even rank Benn ahead of him (I think Bryant is awesome personally)

In my mind, the only real locks to go top five are McCoy and Suh. These two I would bet every penny I have that they go top five. Is it likely that at least one QB and Berry will go top 5? Absolutely. Would I guarantee it? Nope.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Where is your mock anyways Deep? I remember you said you were doing one after Senior Bowl...I'd like to see who you like.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I believe it is the 9th last post of the 1st page here.

C
Legend
Legend
C
A spread QB who has never played in a pro style offense and has had major shoulder injuries and surgery in the passed year, forcing him to miss most of his Junior season. Good accuracy, questionable arm strength.

Did the guy I just described make you think of a top 5 pick. Or even top 10. I don't think so.

I think if given time to develop Bradford can be a good QB in the league. But nowadays if you are drafted top 10 as a QB you are expected to start from day one.

I wouldn't be surprised if both Clausen and Bradford fell into the 13-24 range.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Here is what I see with Bradford:

Pros-

-- Great accuracy; very rarely throws behind receivers.
-- Amazing release. He gets rid of the ball as quick as anyone.
-- Good mobility.
-- Very good throwing on the move, even going to his left.
-- Good, but not great arm. Can make all the throws needed.
-- Rarely makes bad decisions.
-- Great mechanics.
-- Good footwork when dropping back.

Cons-

-- Shoulder.
-- Spread offense.
-- Surrounding talent.

If he comes out at the Scouting Combine/Pro Day and puts good zip on the ball with no signs of shoulder problems, he is my guy.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Carroll is admittedly a defensive guy, and Okung is gonna drop. Just watch.

An inside linebacker will not go top 5. Patrick Willis didn't, Jarod Mayo didn't, and Rolando McClain won't.

Okay well that's all fine and good but they guy should be smart enough to realize that he has no QB and no line to protect one.

I wouldn't bet on McClain goign top 5 but it's a possibility. But I wouldn't bet on nobody drafting Clausen, Bradford or Bryant in the top 6 either,possibly leaving Berry to fall to us. I think the chances are as good as any. And hey if he doesn't i'm perfectly happy with Haden. But I still think Berry will fall to us.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Suh- Ecstatic

Haden, Berry, Bryant, McClain- Happy

Clausen, Bradford- Nervous but not immediately against it

McCoy, Okung- Me screaming "NO!" at the tv.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

No, you are right there....hawk played inside in the 4-3 when Barnett got hurt, but he was drafted as an OLB and played his first two years outside.

I started this tangent.....sorry and thanks for the correction.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

McCoy, Okung- Me screaming "NO!" at the tv.

Switch those two reactions and that's how I'd feel. I will flip out if we draft Clausen. Bradford has taken snaps under center.

Also Deep Okung will not slip past the Redskins mark it down.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Redskins will go QB IMO.

Legend
Legend
And I respectfully disagree their O-line is bad

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So was the Lions' last year. There's a basic rule in the draft. If you don't have your franchise QB, get one.

There is already talk about the 'Skins taking a QB. PFT even posted an article about it.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I could see that.... New coach...might want to give Campbell a try.

Although I've seen lots of rumours that Shanahan is enamoured with Bradford.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

So was the Lions' last year. There's a basic rule in the draft. If you don't have your franchise QB, get one.

There is already talk about the 'Skins taking a QB. PFT even posted an article about it.

The skins do have a decent QB. Also going by your logic the Rams should draft Clausen/Bradford over Ndamukong Suh? It doesn't always work that way.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I am i've got Christian Ponder in my crosshairs next season. Next years draft class is going to be a good one me thinks.

You've got the possibility of Locker, Ponder, Mallet, Devlin, maybe Prior if he lights it up this year and decides to declare (I don't think he will do either)

I don't even want to think about investing in a QB this year.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
As I said, it's a general rule. And IMO the Rams should draft Suh, because he is that much better than Bradford as a prospect.

It isn't a popular opinion amongst fans to take a QB, but more often than not, that is a huge problem for a team picking that high.

The Skins may not have a huge need at QB, but JC struggled last year, and with a new HC/FO, there is a very good chance that they want to clean house. It is well known that Snyder doesn't like Campbell too.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
But I thought Shanahan has came out and said he likes Campbell. Plus Shanahan has the final say on his team doesn't he?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Of course he is going to say that. It just sounds like he really wants to start over and get his guy at QB.

And he technically has final say, but so did Jerry Reese with the Titans. Reese wanted Leinart, but their owner (whose name escapes me at the moment) wanted VY. The guy writing the paychecks always wins.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yeah I agree with that. Thats why I said the Redskins could go QB if Snyder pushes it.

I was just thinking that if they do go QB it probably won't be because Shanahan wants to clean house.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
the Skins need 2 tackles,a guard, halfback and a free safety.

IMO, Shanahan trys to build a running attack with OL and a halfback.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I've read two different Mock Drafts today (which are pretty much meaningless, but still fun).

This is the top 7 in the one from the National Football Post

1. St. Louis Rams: Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma

2. Detroit Lions: Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma

4. Washington Redskins: Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame

5. Kansas City Chiefs: Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State

6. Seattle Seahawks: Eric Berry, S, Tennessee

7. Cleveland Browns: Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama

I hope both QB's are gone by the time we pick that way we have no chance at either of them.

And here's another one that I read today

1. St. Louis Rams: Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida

4. Washington Redskins: Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers

6. Seattle Seahawks: Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa

7. Cleveland Browns: Eric Berry, S, Tennessee

I have to say that my best case scenario would be Berry falling to us. I just don't see it happening.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

The skins do have a decent QB. Also going by your logic the Rams should draft Clausen/Bradford over Ndamukong Suh? It doesn't always work that way.

We'll see when the draft comes around but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the Rams went with a Qb #1 overall.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Scout.com

This is Scout.com's Chris Strueber's 2 rd mock draft. Has us taking Haden and Ryan Matthews. Not a fan of the Matthews pick as I think Harrison/Davis is a solid backfield and dont see the need there, would rather us take Benn if we decide to go offense, or another Oline man. Would rather see us go defense with both picks though.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

And here's another one that I read today

1. St. Louis Rams: Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida

4. Washington Redskins: Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers

6. Seattle Seahawks: Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa

7. Cleveland Browns: Eric Berry, S, Tennessee

I have to say that my best case scenario would be Berry falling to us. I just don't see it happening.

More evidence that Todd McShay is a quack.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Little to early to say quack. Last yr at this time, having KC taking Tyson Jackson, most people would have said you were crazy too, as he was a late board riser. Jason Pierre-Paul has been gaining momentum as he is literally the only player of his kind (meaning elite pass rushing talent) in this year's draft. Buluga that high is a stretch especially considering his health condition. Lets not forget that McShay gets paid big money by sports biggest network to do his job. He must have some cred to back it up.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Scout.com

This is Scout.com's Chris Strueber's 2 rd mock draft. Has us taking Haden and Ryan Matthews. Not a fan of the Matthews pick as I think Harrison/Davis is a solid backfield and dont see the need there, would rather us take Benn if we decide to go offense, or another Oline man. Would rather see us go defense with both picks though.

I like Mathews a lot, but would be disappointed if we had to use our 2nd round pick to get him. Really hoping he drops to the 3rd for us (at this point sites are all over the map from late-1st to early 4th on him).

RB just isn't as important as some other positions....in that particular mock, we'd be skipping Sergio Kindle and Jerry Hughes as very much needed rush-LBs to get him.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I was just about to come on here to talk about him.

I have heard that teams love his potential. I don't think he will go top 5, but I could see Seattle taking him. He is rising fast.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Jason Pierre-Paul has been gaining momentum as he is literally the only player of his kind (meaning elite pass rushing talent) in this year's draft.

Is Jason Paul-Pierre really that good or did he benefit from having George Selvie on the other side, who drew alot of double teams this year?

Don't be so quick to forget about the Mario Williams-Manny Lawson situatuion. Lawson was another guy who flew updraft boards because of his freakish abilities but really benefitted from having Mario Williams playing on the other side. Lawson played o.k this year but was pretty much considered a bust.

I don't know nearly enough about Paul-Pierre and Selvie other than reading that Selvie drew alot of double teams this year. I hope some team takes him in the top 6 because that will give us a better chance of landing Berry but I don't see it happening.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
From what I watched, teams focused on JPP a lot more than Selvie. I didn't see Selvie getting double teamed, chipped or anything of the sort. I have only watched a few games of USF though.

He is good, but I don't think he's a top 10 player. More like top 15 or 20.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Who knows how far he may shoot up, though. I'm hearing he's going to be this year's workout warrior at the combine.

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Scout.com

Haden pick is obvious..if Matthews is the BPA at that time you take him but I suspect he won't be..the Browns should go safety/LB with that second pick..but I have no problem with a power runner like Matthews..I like Dwyer better..but he could be gone.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Is Jason Paul-Pierre really that good or did he benefit from having George Selvie on the other side, who drew alot of double teams this year?

I don't know nearly enough about Paul-Pierre and Selvie other than reading that Selvie drew alot of double teams this year. I hope some team takes him in the top 6 because that will give us a better chance of landing Berry but I don't see it happening.

In SoFLA games I saw this year, the announcers kept saying how JPP may be a better pro prospect that Selvie, and that he still has a lot of raw talent with a super-high ceiling. However, the guy I would always see making plays all over the field was Selvie. While he is a talented pass rusher, Selvie's real strength IMO (I've been watching him 2 or 3 years now) is his ability to just be around the ball. All the time. Doesn't matter if they're running to his side or the other, he's in on the tackle. He doesn't have the elite body that JPP has, but the guy is a football player. He's definitely a finesse football player, but he's a football player.

Personally, I'd prefer we get brandom graham or george selvie to jpp. Especially when you consider the value where you'd have to take jpp this year.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Your (and My) Mock Drafts

Link Copied to Clipboard