Next Thread
Print Thread
D
dong Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
D
so i know this is about the last draft in a 2010 draft forum but i didn't know this and don't remember seeing this mentioned. through some random searching (i read in peter king's article a quote dealing with reggie bush and sean payton saying he didn't care what the jets offered, which made me curious), i found this little nugget.

when we were at no 21 after trading down all day, we almost traded with the jets AGAIN so they could get harvin!

Quote:

Jets almost doubled their fun »
By Rich Cimini

It almost happened again - a Jets trade with Eric Mangini.

According to a mole, the Jets tried to trade back into the first round for Florida WR Percy Harvin. They called the Browns, who, after about a dozen trade downs (or so it seemed), were in the 22 spot at the time. Without a second round pick (that already belonged to the Browns from the Mark Sanchez trade), the Jets didn't have enough ammo to get it done. It's possible the Browns were asking for a 2010 first rounder.

The Jets didn't pull the trigger.

And now they're done for the day, I'm told.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2009/04/jets-almost-doubled-their-fun.html

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I'm glad we didn't make any other draft-day trades with them last year. - All that would have amounted to was more 2009 picks for the Mangini/Kokonis braintrust. Which would have meant more bad picks.

By holding on to Braylon, we were able to acquire more picks for the 2010 draft, which will be overseen by Heckert.

Last edited by RememberMuni; 02/10/10 05:32 PM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm glad we didn't make any other draft-day trades with them last year. - All that would have amounted to was more 2009 picks for the Mangini/Kokonis braintrust. Which would have meant more bad picks.

Ahh,, but what if the Jets had bitten and we got thier 1st round pick for this year.. Now that would have really made things interesting don't you think

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
N
Legend
Legend
N
it would have meant no Alex Mack and an extra 3rd round pick last year (coupled with their 1st this year is how I read it)

so, it would have changed our entire draft....if Mack and Wood were both gone by our 2nd round pick, then do we still draft an OL instead of Robiskie?

that then sets the 'butterfly effect' through all of our selections....which is why 'what if's' are always fun to debate

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

it would have meant no Alex Mack and an extra 3rd round pick last year (coupled with their 1st this year is how I read it)

I disagree, we would not have given them the 22nd pick last year simply for their first and third this year. - More like last years #1 for this years #1 and #2 and next years #1.

N
Legend
Legend
N
to be clear....I was saying #21 for Jets 2009 3rd round pick + 2010 1st round pick.

that seems to be what the article is saying...personally, I don't think that is enough and for all we know that was offered and was not enough.

--------------------------

secondary implication - if they have Harvin, they have no need to trade for Edwards.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No way. Try this year's #1, last year's #3, and this year's #3.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Ok, so you're saying that in return for pick #21, the Jets would have given us last years #3, next years #1, and next years #3. - Which means that in exchange for a first round draft choice, all we net is two 3rd round picks?

No way.

In order to get #21 last year, they would have had to mortgaged the farm. -Last years 3 and 4 or 5 plus next years 1, 2, and 4 or 5.

Legend
Legend
We got Mack.. I'm happy.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
me also.

D
dong Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
D
didn't say i wasn't but it's interesting that we almost traded with the jets, again.

Legend
Legend
I agree with Hot Young Turk! I am happy with Mack. Given the RT slack, and some questionable guard play, not to mention questionable play selection and apparently ineffective schemes, I like Mack's work ethic and upside. It is a tough psition, and a lot of good got done on the field. A) Does it neewd to be better? Unquestionably! 2) Is the potential there to get better? I think so. And theoffense goes nowhere without its center.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Do U guys really buy into the notion(that many in here actually feel for) that the Browns got enough for their 3 tradedowns?
I know someone will argue the draft chart..but I maintain those so-called smart guys got less than what they should have ..regardless of the Jet players involved in the trade...Tampa/Philly should have been made to fork over some higher picks..
Sorry but if you check then Browns draft day trades when they moved up,they surrendered some high picks..

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Do U guys really buy into the notion(that many in here actually feel for) that the Browns got enough for their 3 tradedowns?
I know someone will argue the draft chart..but I maintain those so-called smart guys got less than what they should have ..regardless of the Jet players involved in the trade...Tampa/Philly should have been made to fork over some higher picks..
Sorry but if you check then Browns draft day trades when they moved up,they surrendered some high picks..

But we got Abe Elam and Brett Ratliff!

Reckanize!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

A guy says his car is worth 10,000 bucks,, best offer he received is 5,000 bucks.. what's his car worth........ 5,000 bucks.. Now he has a choice, take the money he's offered and run, or don't sell the car..

They got what they got. I'm sure that if there were a better offer on the table from someone else,, they'd have taken it.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I reckanized that it won't nary happen this year..

Legend
Legend
Quote:

A guy says his car is worth 10,000 bucks,, best offer he received is 5,000 bucks.. what's his car worth........ 5,000 bucks.. Now he has a choice, take the money he's offered and run, or don't sell the car..

They got what they got. I'm sure that if there were a better offer on the table from someone else,, they'd have taken it.

I think this situation is more like "I'll give you $5,000 and three baseball cards" and another guy says "I'll give you $7,000" but you take the 5 because you think the baseball cards are sweet.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Pretty much like that..they weren't experienced enought to know how to milk something extra out of those teams..they settled on what they could get..just like Phil settled on throwing picks away like it was giveaway nite ..

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Pretty much like that..they weren't experienced enought to know how to milk something extra out of those teams..they settled on what they could get..just like Phil settled on throwing picks away like it was giveaway nite ..

I was upset at what we got for our picks last year.. especially when you saw what NE was stealing from other teams..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Quote:

that then sets the 'butterfly effect' through all of our selections....which is why 'what if's' are always fun to debate

I wish we had done it simply so we dont end up with Veikune or Mavia. Both terrible picks. Also the Robo and MoMass was almost equally dumb. This team's draft last year was a total joke.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
C
1st String
1st String
C
maiva stepped in nicely as a rookie 4th rounder....

the books unwritten on viekune...a bit of a stretch in the second, but miami was hot on him as well. lets see what he looks like on the field before forming these unsubstantiated opinions.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Book might be unwritten for you, but not for me. We were bringing in guys OFF THE STREET to play in front of him. On the leagues WORST defense. People who were unfamiliar with the defense, scheme, and play calls. Veikune is Beau Bell all over again, a big reach in the draft. Maiva could have been had 2 rounds later as well, he was a reach player. You dont draft players in the 4th round that you know are too small to play the position. Esp on a team as devoid of talent as our current team.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Book might be unwritten for you, but not for me. We were bringing in guys OFF THE STREET to play in front of him. On the leagues WORST defense. People who were unfamiliar with the defense, scheme, and play calls. Veikune is Beau Bell all over again, a big reach in the draft. Maiva could have been had 2 rounds later as well, he was a reach player. You dont draft players in the 4th round that you know are too small to play the position. Esp on a team as devoid of talent as our current team.

Maiava is too small to play the position, yet he played the position fairly well last season, especially for a rookie.

And Veikune could end up being good, it is hard to tell at this point. It is disheartening that he didn't crack the line-up last year, but he was learning an entirely new position with new responsibility. He needs to show something this year or I will agree with you, but it is too early to say at this point.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
You guys said the same thing to me when I said Bell was a bum and a wasted pick right after the draft. Low and behold I was right. I am right about this as well. I will be suprised if Veikune makes this team out of Training Camp.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Veikune? Look at the entire second round bro. - Worst draft round in NFL history.

We gave up Kellen Winslow for one of these picks.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I woudlnt mind having Loadholt at RT instead of a question mark.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

We gave up Kellen Winslow for one of these picks.

The MoMass pick ... the only one in the second I've found myself able to accept.

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
I don't understand how some people are down on MoMass. Kid was one of few bright spots last season.

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
Legend
Legend
With another year under his belt and better production from the QB spot, he should start to stand out.

I fear that Robo is already at his ceiling.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

You guys said the same thing to me when I said Bell was a bum and a wasted pick right after the draft. Low and behold I was right. I am right about this as well. I will be suprised if Veikune makes this team out of Training Camp.

And you may be right about Veikune, and even Maiava. Veikune needs to show something soon or he will be gone and will be a wasted pick. Maiava played decent and will probably be at least a good backup, which is pretty good for a 4th rounder.

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) jets tried to trade back up to get percy harvin

Link Copied to Clipboard