Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#463504 02/15/10 12:33 PM
L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
Our defense played better at the end of 2009, but IMO we still have glaring deficiencies. We need to upgrade our back end on D and If we stay at #7, I'd prefer to go defense and would be happy with Berry, Suh or the Haden corner. I'm not a college football freak or a draftnik, and every off-season I formulate most of my draft opinions from what I read on here (death sentence hahaha).
I know Suh and probably Berry will be gone before #7, but of the guys who will realistically be there at #7, who do you want if we take a defender? Would it even be worth it to take a safey that high, since this is supposedly a deep draft at that position?

And, which LB would be worth picking seventh overall if any of 'em? Which LB(s) might be there in the 2nd that could step in and immediately improve our defense?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
After Haden and Berry, there isn't a defensive player worth taking at 7 IMO. Rolando McClain (ILB Alabama) is the closest thing, but I don't think the value is there.

Jason Pierre-Paul (DE/OLB USF) could end up in the top 10, but again, the value isn't there IMO. He has a ton of potential, but he is very boom or bust.

In the 2nd, there are a lot more options on defense. Brandon Graham (DE/OLB Michigan) has a slim chance of falling to the 2nd. He's basically a Woodley clone, and my dream pick in the 2nd. Jerry Hughes (DE/OLB TCU) will be available in the mid 2nd. Ricky Sapp (DE/OLB Clemson) will be there at the top of the 2nd.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My thoughts are this: there are 3 guys i'd take with the 7th pick, the 1st is DT N. Suh who is not likely to be available when we pick, the 2nd is FS E. Berry, i'd say the odds on him being there are 50/50 just because the teams that need a FS (KC & Seattle) also have other big needs and the 3rd and mostly likely choice is CB J. Haden. If for some reason all 3 are gone then i'd say we trade down and pick up extra picks, if we can't find a partner to trade down with then i would consider OG M. Iupati and S E. Thomas.

I don't see any LB's worth a 1st rnd pick. I like B. Graham as an OLB but i wouldn't take him till the 2nd rnd. Others i'd consider in the 2nd would be R. Sapp, J. Hughes, and S.Weatherspoon.

Last edited by dawg66; 02/15/10 01:06 PM.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
R
Rookie
Rookie
R
I really hadn't heard much about Haden but Deep you seem pretty knowledge about him...what NFL player would you compare him to and if Browns selected him with the 7th, would it be considered a value pick.

I've read some mocks that had him in the 6-15 range, but I've never actually seen him play.

"Every time that I score, I'm going to get the ball and sign it "To Holmgren" and give it to him just so he has the proof that I'm worth every penny"- JC
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He's a more athletic, but slightly less physical Darrelle Revis.

J
Rookie
Rookie
J
j/c

Everyone is saying that this draft is Deep at the Safety spot. If that is the case wouldn't it be smarter in taking the best Corner... Haden at #7 then picking up a Safety later... than drafting Berry #7 and looking for corner help later. It seems that the former would give us the better chance of getting two starters out of it.

Legend
Legend
if I'm reading Heckert right, (and there is NO guarantee that I am) I think he subscribes to the "Best Player Available" drafting plan.

So, I think that it's gonna be real hard to figure what he will do..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Theres also some good value at the cornerback positon that could fall to the second round.

Guy's on the bubble of the first/second that I wouldn't mind having are Patrick Robinson, Kyle Wilson and Dominique Franks.

Although Robinson could very well be a lock for the first round. But every year there are risers and fallers at alot of positions. The first two CB's taken should be Haden and Cox. Then if another corner impresses during the combine and rises up a little bit Robinson could be there in the second. But I think Robinson will be one of the ones to put up eye poping measurables at the combine.

Highly doubtfull we could land both but if our first two picks were Berry and Robinson I would probably pass out.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not a big Robinson fan. He's my 3rd corner.

Haden is a top 10 pic, Cox is a borderline 1st/2nd rounder.

But basically, the corner and safety positions are both very deep, so you can't go wrong either way.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I feel that theres a strong chance the Jet's could take either Cox or Robinson. My guess is there will probably be 3 cb's taken in the first round.

R
Rookie
Rookie
R
Hell, I'd take a half Revis in the first round.

"Every time that I score, I'm going to get the ball and sign it "To Holmgren" and give it to him just so he has the proof that I'm worth every penny"- JC
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't see that at all. They have Revis and Dwight Lowery is a plenty good #2.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I do, their corners got smoked in the afc championship game. My ex brother in law is a huge Jet's fan and almost every Jet's fan i've talked to on another board say they need another corner opposite Revis.

Ryans defense strives on good corners.

Legend
Legend
no one has mentioned Brandon Ghee... If Berry is there at 7, snagging Ghee in the 2nd would boost our secondary to the fullest.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ryan's D had nothing for corners last year. All he needs is a pass rush.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Ryan covets corners, it allows him to get more creative with his pass rush.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

The Jets had Darelle Revis. And at the end of the year Lito Sheppard (who continued to improve). Whoever their number 2 was is better than our number 2, that's for sure.

If you're talking about this team's D, the pass rush this year was exciting, but our corners/safeties got killed. Our defense was not very good, or even good at all. A number 2 corner who could potentially be our number one (making EW a good number 2!) and someone to play safety would be a huge benefit. Especially if we re-sign DQ and Roth. We'd be able to get off the field on third down and hold our opponents to less points.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I was talking about the '08 Ravens.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
How do you know this? His Baltimore defenses always relied on the linebackers and d-line with the corners as an afterthought.

I don't see any chance of him going corner in the 1st.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The corners there were not an after thought.

They had three good corners in Foxworth, Washington and Rolle. Not to mention they have Ed Reed and Landry back there.

Theres no way around it dude, a good secondary is crucial in ANY pass rushing team. That's why Ryan covets corners.

I can't say i'm 100% sure they will draft one in the first round but I will say i'm about 80-20. If they don't go CB in the first I will bet you just about anything they take one in the second round.

Here is a little quote directly from Rex Ryans mouth on how he feels about corners (Revis in paticular)

"I’ll just put it this way: Having Revis allows us to do things that most people don’t do, or have the courage for," Ryan said. "Man coverage. Man-up, and say, ‘Here we are.’ Now, Kerry Rhodes covers a lot of ground. So what may look like cover-2, because of the range Kerry has, might’ve been cover-1. Hey, all I can say is, we’ve got the best corner in the league and I don’t think there’s any dispute about that."

Ryan is not dumb. If you look at the way the league is forming up most good teams in the league have 2-3 good/great receivers now. If you don't have a quality secondary in this league you aren't goign to go very far. With the way the Jet's got manhandled in the AFC championship game you can be sure he will be bringing in a CB early. He was already talking about trying to bring Aso from Oakland even though that might have just been general chit chat).

Last edited by Cleveland_clutch; 02/17/10 12:26 AM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ryan never had Foxworth.

They still ignored corner after Rolle and McCalister were over the hill. You really overrated Washington.

Then you talk about safeties. We're talking corners.

And this whole debate is completely irrelevant, and I have no idea why we are having it.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Forgot they brought in Foxworth last year....

But they ignored corner probably because they had 4 4 year pro's or younger, I suppose.

And it actually was relevant because I was talking about who might fall into the second round.

But why we are having it I have no clue, from what I have read from your post's lately you know everything.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Then you talk about safeties. We're talking corners.

Well then, when looking at the secondary as a whole, a great safety like Ed Reed would also satisfy some of the need to get a corner. And that is a fair point, but a cover corner would help create turnovers and slow down offenses. There is no doubt about it this secondary needs help.

And I do believe that no matter who we get at safety, we cannot have Brandon McDonald, Mike Adams, Hank Poteat, or any other garbage player trying to match up in a situation like when we are against santonio holmes/hines ward and the one of these three bad corners (Mike Adams is a backup safety) is trying to cover one of these good receivers. Unless the weather is awful, it just doesn't work, our corner gets killed and they get a 1st down or a touchdown or whatever.

Improving the secondary is very important for this team no matter what. Ryan runs a high pressure defense and a good secondary would be a great way to compliment it.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Our defense played better at the end of 2009, but IMO we still have glaring deficiencies. We need to upgrade our back end on D and If we stay at #7, I'd prefer to go defense and would be happy with Berry, Suh or the Haden corner. I'm not a college football freak or a draftnik, and every off-season I formulate most of my draft opinions from what I read on here (death sentence hahaha).
I know Suh and probably Berry will be gone before #7, but of the guys who will realistically be there at #7, who do you want if we take a defender? Would it even be worth it to take a safey that high, since this is supposedly a deep draft at that position?

And, which LB would be worth picking seventh overall if any of 'em? Which LB(s) might be there in the 2nd that could step in and immediately improve our defense?

Seriously doubt Suh would plumment to 7..Berry/Haden could..then it's a toss-up..there are enough safeties in this draft to warrant taking Haden..and anyone who knows me well,I love top notch corners..Haden would come in and immediately put McFluff in the nickle for good or cut loose...
Berry would also start if he were drafted but there are some bigger safeties I like a lot that can be had that are upgrades to Pool/Elam..
Forget any backers at 7 but in the second round Spikes/Weatherspoon are two that I strongly like.

Last edited by Attack Dawg; 02/17/10 09:52 AM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

..Berry/Haden could

What would you do if at 7 both of them, along with Bradford were available? not that I believe that will happen,, just asking

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Me??? I'd go Haden..I'd be tempted to go Bradford..it would be close..if I knew I could get one of the other top corners and a solid safety in rounds 2-4..I might go Bradford..but in grading them out Haden would probably be a better corner than Bradford a QB..

L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
I would love to have a shutown corner. If Wright were the second-best CB on our team we'd be in great shape there.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
T
Legend
Legend
T
How well did that best def player available help out the houston texans when they let the saints draft reggie bush.

If you think Quinn and Massaquoi are going to lead you to a superbowl on their own then you haven't seen too many playoff games.

If the Browns don't have any investment in the offense they will continue to lack touchdowns, they will continue to have point totals of 3, or 6, or 10 or less.
The defense during the worst games of the past two years, is not failing to give the offense posessions, but the offense is failing to do anything with those posessions.

If you could only invest in one player for the entire off season, if you could only take one gamble on a prospect, which every draft pick is, it has to be offense.
Every addition will change the outlook at the time of the next addition to the roster, but you cannot count on what will be there, draft wise, from round to round, What You Can Count On is what is on your roster right now.

On your roster right now the offensive skilled positions are just not there.

So unless you can argue that you are going to come up with 3 amazing free agents at offensive skilled positions before round 1 of the draft, then the focus and title of this thread is going to lead to more Browns failure.

Help on " D " in the 1st round would be a COLOSSAL MISTAKE!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Help on " D " in the 1st round would be a COLOSSAL MISTAKE!

No... not taking the best player available at #7 (regardless of what side of the ball he plays on) would be the colossal mistake. Look, we lack playmakers on both offense and defense. If you disagree, just go back and watch the first 11 games again.

If we stay in the #7 slot, we'll have a shot at a potential difference-maker. I don't care if Holmgren and company pick an offensive or defensive guy there so long as they are convinced the guy we pick is the best football player on the board. You can never have too many good football players on a team.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Quote:

How well did that best def player available help out the houston texans when they let the saints draft reggie bush.

This is your argument against taking a defensive player? The Texans made the right call on that one.

It's a good thing that you aren't running the draft

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Would you rather have one of the best defensive ends in the NFL or a backup running back?

I mean, who wouldn't take the running back there.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Would you rather have one of the best defensive ends in the NFL or a backup running back?

I mean, who wouldn't take the running back there.

I'm one of the few guys who still defend Reggie.....and there's no doubt Houston made the right call.

not only that, but they got a very similar player to him the next draft in the 2nd round (Slaton)

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like Reggie, but yeah, there is no doubt who is better.

Slaton was actually a 5th rounder.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
3rd round.

That was a great draft for running backs. Of course, we decided against drafting one.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Touche. Someone I liked was a 5th rounder that year...

Legend
Legend
Quote:

3rd round.

That was a great draft for running backs. Of course, we decided against drafting one.

Fear us, for we have Travis Wilson!

Oh wait... no we don't.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

if I'm reading Heckert right, (and there is NO guarantee that I am) I think he subscribes to the "Best Player Available" drafting plan.

So, I think that it's gonna be real hard to figure what he will do..

I would agree with that. We have soooooooo many holes that my only expectation is that our #7 pick be a serious impact player... that could be at WR, OT, QB, DE, DT, LB, CB, SS... doesn't really matter but if he is an impact player at any of those positions, the Browns got a lot better and that's the goal.

yebat' Putin
C
Legend
Legend
C
I think everyone around here is hoping it's a safety though. Right?

Legend
Legend
yeah, that's kinda what I was driving at. Well, that and we don't have access to the info that teams have about players. So, what you and I might think is the BPA, may not be what Heckert sees..

but I have to believe you are on the money DC.. with all the holes we have, an impact player in any positon you named would be a HUGE improvement...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think everyone around here is hoping it's a safety though. Right?

There is only one safety that most people want, if he's gone then it probably won't be a safety. I let myself get my hopes up last year for Curry, then he was off the board and the saga of trading down started. I've vowed to go in more open and less focused on any one player this year... I just want an impact player and I don't really care at what position.

yebat' Putin
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Help on 'D' in 1st round?

Link Copied to Clipboard