Page 1 of 2 1 2
#470556 03/09/10 02:04 AM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Mike Mayock, who I think is the best at what he does in the business, released his post-combine rankings. Here's a link. Most everything is on par with what everyone else believes.

Bradford, Clausen are one and two at QB et cetera, et cetera.

There is one major surprise though. He has Earl Thomas ranked ahead of Eric Berry. I haven't seen one ranking that has Thomas ahead of Berry. Is there any chance this can be right? Is there any chance Earl Thomas is better than Eric Berry?

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
No way! I think Thomas will be good, but I think Berry is a Perennial Pro-Bowler in the making. The guy just does everything at a high level. That is just my opinion though.

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think many believe that Berry can or should play CB in the NFL, don't know if Mayock is one of those that believe that so maybe that's why he has Him ranked ahead of Berry from a safety standpoint because he thinks Berry projects better to CB.

Don't know this to be true but it's the only scenario where I can fathom him thinking he is better than Berry at that respective position.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Mayock never goes beyond the top 5 at any position, which most everyone has concensus on.

He may be off a player by a spot, but is pretty reasonable in his rationalization.

When he begins to goes deeper, then I pay attention. But he rarely does that, so he appears more enlightened than others.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Mayock never goes beyond the top 5 at any position, which most everyone has concensus on.

He may be off a player by a spot, but is pretty reasonable in his rationalization.

When he begins to goes deeper, then I pay attention. But he rarely does that, so he appears more enlightened than others.

I agree. I think the guy is a goof to be honest.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I agree...

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
I'm seeing more and more mocks now having Eric Berry fall to #7...

especially after the Lions Trade for Corey Williams...

Two QB's should be taken before 7.
Two DT's should be taken before 7.
Two LT's should be taken before 7.

We take the best safety coming out in years.

I want Berry to lay out a few people, starting with

1) Big Ben
2) Hines Ward
3) OchoQuatro

R
Rookie
Rookie
R
I'd be happy with Haden/Berry in the 1st, Brandon Spikes in the second...swweet

"Every time that I score, I'm going to get the ball and sign it "To Holmgren" and give it to him just so he has the proof that I'm worth every penny"- JC
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I'd be happy with Haden/Berry in the 1st, Brandon Spikes in the second...swweet

Even though we have Scott Fujita and DQ for another year? With Trusnik and Maiava (who I believe will continue to improve and bulk up) backing them up...... I think ILB is a stacked position. That makes me want McClain and Spikes a lot less.

IMO We need secondary and a new RT or RG (RT preferably). I can't help but think that our offense was hindered last year because of one mistake. Losing Kevin Schaffer. I guess our team was out of synch period, but the failures on the right side of the line (neither RG or RT is free of blame) really hurt us.

From what I've read, Pashos might be more suitable at RG. Therefore we still need someone to play RT for us. Guards are easy to replace and find, good tackles are more difficult. I definitely wouldn't mind someone like Trent Williams or Buluaga if Berry/Haden aren't available (or if the RT is deemed a better player). But those positions are what need to be upgraded, and the best at those positions overall should be picked first IMO. This would have the biggest impact.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
With the bringing in of Fujita.. I don't know if Spikes is on the radar anymore, or if he ever was...

I would love to have him, but realistically, not sure if it will happen at this point. Maybe if he falls to the 3rd.. which I highly doubt.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

I know that's a plausible scenario but I wonder if the Browns are considering trading up to ensure they can select Berry. If the teams drafting ahead of us are in need of the positions you metioned, swapping positions with us will still ensure them of drafting high to fufill a need without reaching. Because of the poor outing by Haden I can't help but think moving up one or two spots is even more possible. It's not like we don't have enough to work with here.

Legend
Legend
no need to trade up though.. if Berry is not there.. Cohen is the next best thing easily..

Cohen
Wright
McDonald
Francies
Lawson

Nice young secondary with plenty of talent.

S
Rookie
Rookie
S
Hey guys,new guy here.About Eric Berry,i am not at all opposed to doing what it takes to drafting him.As long as it is reasonable because in our division that position is vital.Cleveland has not had a dominant safety since the man Eric Turner,God rest his soul.It's about time we get a playmaker like that granted i think Berry's style is different than Turners.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd rather go to this site and see how ALL the players are ranked..

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings?tag=fastFacts.nfl;Prospect%20Ratings

B
Rookie
Rookie
B
Quote:

With the bringing in of Fujita.. I don't know if Spikes is on the radar anymore, or if he ever was...

I would love to have him, but realistically, not sure if it will happen at this point. Maybe if he falls to the 3rd.. which I highly doubt.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com

Browns to conduct private workout with Spikes
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 9, 2010 10:22 AM ET
Mike Holmgren is already re-making the Browns offense, but Eric Mangini remains to pilot the defense. And he needs linebackers badly.

With that in mind, the team will conduct a private workout with Florida linebacker Brandon Spikes, according to a league source. The Buccaneers and Bills will also visit with Spikes.

Spikes has the size and instincts to make an ideal fit inside a 3-4 defense, but there are concerns about his top-end speed. On a 4-3 defense, he could play in the middle and some teams may look at him as a strong-side linebacker.

Draft projections have Spikes going anywhere from the mid-first round to the middle of the second round.

Bones #470571 03/09/10 11:42 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

With that in mind, the team will conduct a private workout with Florida linebacker Brandon Spikes, according to a league source. The Buccaneers and Bills will also visit with Spikes.

Spikes better be prepared to be quizzed. Mangini does his HW and will know what he wants to see from film, but he loves to ask these guys football questions. Mangini wants guys who are football intelligent playing D for him. So I think this private workout is not even that much about the workout and more about quizzing in on field situations or something

Legend
Legend
I believe that each team is allowed to invite something like 25 players to private workouts... so I wouldn't view this necessarily as specific intent to draft him as much as it would be us doing due diligence should he be the best player available when our pick comes up.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Bones #470573 03/09/10 11:51 AM
Legend
Legend
Thank You BONES!!!

I can keep my mock how it is then!!

BRING IN BERRY!! BRING IN SPIKES!!

I would love to see an offense have to know where TWO of our defenders are.. not to mention if Shaun Rogers is still here..

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I cant help but think this team has somehow managed to suck me back in and get me all excited for the draft and the upcoming season! Will it be heartbreak again???? I sure as heck hope not!

So far each of our FA moves have been VERY solid....all touched on our weakness...now I feel like the draft we can go BPA instead of need! I wouldnt mind Berry, Spikes in rounds one and two....as long as either RT, or RG is picked up in the 3rd...followed by a bruiser back to complement Harrison and James....

#brownsgoodkarma
Legend
Legend
definitely have to address the right side of the o-line. Good thing about this draft, is it is LOADED with tackles!! some with potential, some who should have came out last year, and some have recently made a name for themselves.

I still want Blount in the 4th round. He screams Brandon Jacobs.

B
Rookie
Rookie
B
Blount in the 4th would be awesome...I'm with you on that one!

I can't remember where I read it, but during the combine some reports were out that he did a good job repairing his image in the interviews and throughout the combine work-outs.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

definitely have to address the right side of the o-line. Good thing about this draft, is it is LOADED with tackles!! some with potential, some who should have came out last year, and some have recently made a name for themselves.

I still want Blount in the 4th round. He screams Brandon Jacobs.

Thats the RB I was talking about but couldnt remember his name haha....I wouldnt be against getting him in the 3rd we have two picks in the third right? I would hate to miss out on that kid....Shock and Awe= Blount and Harrison

#brownsgoodkarma
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
After the Boise St. incident and hearing him in the interviews after the punch, this kid is a moron. I want nothing to do with him on the Browns.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
S
Rookie
Rookie
S
Turk,i would be very happy with Berry and Spikes,that is potentially nasty D! Alex Mack grew on me last year,but yes our right side needs help.About the running back position,do u really think blount will be dangerous?I'm just asking because I haven't seen much of him.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

After the Boise St. incident and hearing him in the interviews after the punch, this kid is a moron. I want nothing to do with him on the Browns.

ahhh come on tell me you wouldnt cheer if he layed out Hines Ward after a game hahaha

#brownsgoodkarma
S
Rookie
Rookie
S
Haha tubby,the brown in me can't help but ponder that lol

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I sort of agree with you. If it's 6th or 7th round, I can always be swayed. But 3rd round? What if Dwyer, Gerhart, Matthews, or Best is there? Are you really going to pick Blount ahead of them? There's other RBs that are probably talented as well that didn't do what he did in a game.

Blount gets suspended for the season for cheap shotting some kid then going after everyone on the field in a complete display of no-control and we're talking 3rd rounder? He's a huge character risk, and his upside isn't even that amazing. What has he done to show he's any better than Dwyer or Gerhart or any of those guys?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

I sort of agree with you. If it's 6th or 7th round, I can always be swayed. But 3rd round? What if Dwyer, Gerhart, Matthews, or Best is there? Are you really going to pick Blount ahead of them? There's other RBs that are probably talented as well that didn't do what he did in a game.

Blount gets suspended for the season for cheap shotting some kid then going after everyone on the field in a complete display of no-control and we're talking 3rd rounder? He's a huge character risk, and his upside isn't even that amazing. What has he done to show he's any better than Dwyer or Gerhart or any of those guys?

I wasnt betting on any of them to be around still....Id be more than content with Dwyer, or Gerhart....

Now back to Blount you could clearly see on that video that guy that got punched was talking abunch of smack.....you could see it all over his face...I have no problems with what Blount did! If your going to talk the talk better be prepared to back it up....its not like Blount just ran up and punched him for nothing! Should he of contained himself? yeah maybe....but like I said I think this team needs a little bit of attitude as our "D" looked like girl scouts out there last year afraid to hurt anyone.

How many times have we seen players like Toothlessburger, and Ward taunting the players and fans after games and the first thing that pops up in your head is "Id like to knock that smirk off his face".....Blount did his time, he made a appology time to move on! I find it funny how people judge others when they themselves would probably do the same thing in that situation! I know because I have lost my temper before during my high school years in wrestling....threw a punch or two in my day...but that kid never tried to lip off again after that! haha

#brownsgoodkarma
Legend
Legend
I dont think he goes in the 3rd..

I'd love to have him in the 5th.. but don't think Blount will last til then.. 4th round pick is not that huge of a sacrifice.

Look at the very last run of the clip.. Awesome!

B
Rookie
Rookie
B
I understand what your saying about the incident and how it reflects on his character, but I'm sure the Browns will do their homework if they were to draft him.

I just think talent wise Blount has good value in the 4th round. Matthews is my personal favorite, but he will likely be gone in the first.

Blount made a big mistake and paid for it, we don't know exactly what was said to make him go off like that. The situation with the fans became escalated when a fan tried to hit him with a chair and another fan took a swing at him.

M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Quote:

Hey guys,new guy here.About Eric Berry,i am not at all opposed to doing what it takes to drafting him.As long as it is reasonable because in our division that position is vital.Cleveland has not had a dominant safety since the man Eric Turner,God rest his soul.It's about time we get a playmaker like that granted i think Berry's style is different than Turners.

Welcome to the boards my Browns fan brother!! Figured I'd say since no one has any board etiquette anymore.

[Linked Image from netanimations.net]
N
Legend
Legend
N
for the 1000th time now....

it's not the punch that most have a problem with. the issue is that after the punch, he went after teammates, coaches, security personnel, and tried to get into the stands to go after fans as well.

his lack of composure in the heat of the moment is understandable. the fact he could not regain his composure even as security was literally dragging him off the field is what is scary.

just say no to Blount.

#gmstrong
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
That and he sounded like an imbecile in the post game with the reporters. Guy is an idiot. A suspension waiting to happen.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
S
Rookie
Rookie
S
Thank you Mydawgsbite,appreciate the welcome!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I cant help but think this team has somehow managed to suck me back in and get me all excited for the draft and the upcoming season!

You are NOT alone....LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Happens to me every year.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I want Berry to lay out a few people, starting with

1) Big Ben
2) Hines Ward
3) OchoQuatro

I said over a month ago in my mock that this scenario would happen and Berry would fall to us. Don't recall if you did or not but most called me crazy......

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
I was one who called you crazy. You were right.

Legend
Legend
The two things that could screw us up are (1) somebody above # 7 taking him in a swap-to-another-team deal, and (2) he IS there and we pass .

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I was one who called you crazy. You were right.

Well that's awfully big of you to admit

But I wouldn't eat crow yet, the draft is still a ways away and anything could happen. I just wanted to point out that I wasn't as crazy as some thought.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Draft Rankings...

Link Copied to Clipboard