Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Cleveland Browns are only team to witness Kent's Jameson Konz put up "freakish" numbers
By Tony Grossi
March 11, 2010, 1:58PM

Jameson Konz, a native of Uniontown, Ohio, played three seasons at linebacker before moving to offense. While he hasn't received much publicity, NFL scouts have taken notice of his size, speed and versatility.

CLEVELAND -- Kent State linebacker/fullback Jameson Konz put on an impressive display in his personal workout this morning at the school's lonely pro day.

Because Kent's pro day conflicted with those of major schools with multiple prospects, such as Nebraska, Idaho, Oregon and Boston College, attendance at Kent was scarce. In fact, the Browns were the only NFL team to send a scout.

What he saw was Konz put on an athletic display described as "freakish."

Konz measured 6-3 and 234 pounds. He was timed in the 40-yard dash at 4.46 seconds. Asked to run a second one, he timed 4.38.

Konz also posted a 46-inch vertical jump and a broad jump of 10 feet, 8 1/4 inches.

Konz is considered a prospect to play tight end, H-back or fullback in the NFL. His numbers better the top figures posted by any tight end or fullback at the NFL Scouting Combine. The closest numbers to Konz's were put up by tight end Dorin Dickerson of Pittsburgh, who ran 4.40 in the 40, jumped 43.5 inches in the vertical and had a broad jump of 10 feet, 5 inches. Dickerson is projected to be taken in the third or fourth round.

When the results are circulated, Konz is expected to receive invitations to visit NFL teams for closer inspection. This is what happened to Kent quarterback Julian Edelman last year, who eventually was drafted by New England in the seventh round and became a valuable receiver/special teamer as a rookie.

link

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
i JUST finished reading this before you posted it.. lol..

i've never heard of the guy, i dont really pay attention to Kent though..

How is he on film?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I don't know. I went to Kent and live about 3 miles from it, but I don't pay attention like I should, lol.

I will say that it seems Kent has had a good showing in the pros these past few years. Cribbs, Edelman, Usama Young (who got burned in the playoffs for the Saints, but he's at least in there).

Legend
Legend
Those are some seriously disgusting (in a good way) numbers.

I would expect that he will get quite a few phone calls for workouts... and there will be a LOT of teams submitting requests tonight and tomorrow for Kent State film.

The big question will still stand: Can he play football?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

University of Maryland cornerback Nolan Carroll will conduct private workouts with the New England Patriots and the Cleveland Browns, according to a league source.

National Football Post

Legend
Legend
Odd/unique name,...wonder if he is related to Kenny Konz.

Legend
Legend
Take him if available. Perfect for this Helmet Stripe Only Nation! Looks like he could be a project at about four or five positions. I like this kind of risk. You can't teach that kind of 40 speed. Seriously fine numeros there.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
if you add him.. who are you getting rid of?

Alex Hall?
Marcus Benard?
Wimbley?
Roth?
Veikune?
Trusnik?
Maiva?

This team has so much talent, and doesn't even use it..

If the Browns brought in Konz. he would never see the field.. would never see the 53man roster...

There are 2 LB's that i think don't belong here....

Eric Barton
Blake Costanzo

Barton is old.. and Costanzo is ONLY a special teamer...

We also need to see more of Titus Brown.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Quote:

Alex Hall?
Marcus Benard?
Wimbley?
Roth?
Veikune?
Trusnik?
Maiva?

Which one of those guys can't be improved upon? I would like to see the day when none of these guys would make the team. Maybe a ST but not as starting material.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Quote:

Alex Hall? Check
Marcus Benard?
Wimbley?
Roth?
Veikune? CHECK
Trusnik?
Maiva? CHECK

If the Browns brought in Konz. he would never see the field.. would never see the 53man roster...

Eric Barton CHECK
Blake Costanzo CHECK

My thoughts.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Legend
Legend
I think a lot of it is how they're being used,...scheme, etc.

Maybe none can be improved upon, but I wouldn't just go giving away a Roth or Wimbley before -- like you said -- getting them a ST look.

You gotta have some of these guys around,....

All Pro
All Pro
I think he is being looked at as a TE guys.
Or did I misread?

Einstein could not even fathom the mathematical improbabilities of the Browns woes.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

I think he is being looked at as a TE guys.
Or did I misread?

From the article:

"Konz is considered a prospect to play tight end, H-back or fullback in the NFL."

Legend
Legend
And, on paper, we don't need any of those (I'm calling Cribbs an H-Back here,...)

Legend
Legend
well he's not taking Vickers spot.. and he seems a little small for TE.. He will get bulldozed.

Legend
Legend
According to the Kent State site, he played OLB his first three years,....

Legend
Legend
With him having such great speed for his size, and him apparently not working out at LB.. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that his speed is all straight line speed, and not so much at cutting/cornering.

It'd be interesting to bring him in, however, and at least try him on ST's. That size & speed would make for a great gunner and would potentially make a good backup for what Cribbs does.

Browns is the Browns

C
Legend
Legend
C
Remember Spencer Havner from the Packers lit us up. He's the same type of player. Special teamer that can play offense and defense. Spending a 5th round pick on a versatile player like this is never a bad idea.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Alex Hall?
Marcus Benard?
Wimbley?
Roth?
Veikune?
Trusnik?
Maiva?

The weakest link in the bunch... Whoever that turns out to be.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Thin the herd and improve the breeding stock. The times alone make him sound interesting. I want to know more about this guy. Barton may be a casualty, because he is a bit limited. One thing I learned early on about the Game was to field your best athletes; sometimes raw skills and physical ability or overwhelming heart prove to be difference makers. This guy seems to have some of the "unteachables" physically. Want to know more, but might be a find for the good guys. At least he showed up (more than some certain folks did for their tryouts and Combine werkouts).

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
At a minimum, get him in as an UFA if nobody picks him up.

Kid probably grew up a Browns fan too. (Uniontown Lake High School, Federal League, northeast Ohio)

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Alex Hall?
Marcus Benard?
Wimbley?
Roth?
Veikune?
Trusnik?

Maiva?

The weakest link in the bunch... Whoever that turns out to be.

Take your pick. Personally, I'd ditch 1) Barton 2) Costanzo 3) Project DE with long name 4) Trusnik 5) Veikune in that order.

Hank Poteat's not still on the roster, is he? What about Sorensen? Rob Royal is gone, right? I liked Gaines' production when he was in, but he was nothing special.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Poteat is gone. Sorensen and Royal are still on the roster.

Legend
Legend
I don't get the lack of love for Constanzo.. He's kind of a ST ace.. does a real solid job. but I suppose if you can find someone to give us his ST Production and be able to perform on D,, what the heck,, I'm good with that..

Once again, it's all about upgrading.. at least for me it is..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Plus, didn't we just re-sign Constanzo & Trusnick? I don't think either one is going anywhere.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
Legend
Legend
Trusnick signed his contract this week so he's good for a year anyway.. Don't know what the deal is with Constanzo..

I just checked,, Constanzo wasn't tendered.. Trusnik was...

that's odd, I thought that constanzo was either a RFA or UFA.. he's not showing up on any FA lists...

Last edited by Damanshot; 03/13/10 11:51 AM.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Turk- he's being looked at as an H-back or TE.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I don't get the lack of love for Constanzo..

I agree and was getting ready to post the same exact thing before I saw you had already said i. Constanzo is an outstanding playmaker on STs and is one of those high motor/high intensity guys who is good to have around. Guy is always playing balls out and has a nose for the ball.

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Agreed.. He's young also,, I didn't realize he's only been in the league 3 years... Might be some room to get even better..dunno

he's still on the roster and not on any FA list, so to me, that means he's under contract. I'm happy about that.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Alex Hall?
Marcus Benard?
Wimbley?
Roth?
Veikune?
Trusnik?
Maiva?

Eric Barton
Blake Costanzo

None of those guys are H backs or tight ends. You assume we would bring him here to be a LB... If he is that freakish of an athlete then bring him in the later rounds and let him earn his living on special teams for a year or so while we figure out if we can use him somewhere else.

yebat' Putin
W
Rookie
Rookie
W
Obviously awesome speed and very athletic. That 46" vertical of his would have tied the best ever recorded at the nfl combine, just crazy hops for a white boy. Looks like he'll be a hybrid TE - H-back - WR - special teams warrior.

Appears to be some pretty decent info on Konz in this thread.

[Ref-00: Link removed as linking to other message boards is not permitted. Please review the Rules of the Pound]

Last edited by Referee00; 03/15/10 01:49 PM.
W
Rookie
Rookie
W
More complete information on Konz at draftcountdown dot com.

Legend
Legend
An informational site, i.e. a news site or a Draft site is fine to link to, just not other message boards.

Browns is the Browns

W
Rookie
Rookie
W
I guess being new here I'm not totally clear on what is permitted to being posted in this forum as it relates to other websites, so it may take me some time to learn that.

This is what KSU's head coach had to say coming out of spring ball in 2008, right after they had moved Konz to offense.

Masterful move: With plenty of capable bodies at linebacker, Martin shifted two-year starter Jameson Konz to tight end this spring. Just weeks into practice, Martin admitted he wished Konz had made the transition a year earlier. Konz's speed and strength provides Edelman another weapon in the passing game, which ranked 111th nationally and loses starting tight end Tom Sitko. "His natural position is on the offensive side of the ball," Martin said of Konz. "You watch the way he catches the ball and runs routes and makes plays on offense, that is where he belongs."

Found that on espn dot go dot com written by Adam Rittenberg, FWIW.

So if the Kent State head coach said that he wished he had played Konz on offense earlier, that sounds like that's where NFL teams will look to play him.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
thanks and welcome.

you can just copy and paste the link, and you'll be fine. blogs of accepted news sources is fine but personal blogs and twitter will get your posts deleted and have a kick in the crotch mailed to you.

just kidding on the deleted post.

just kidding again

W
Rookie
Rookie
W
Found this interview by a NE Patriots sports writer. Konz says he's willing to play wherever the coach wants him - on offense or defense. Utility knife/Swiss Army knife kind of player.

Sounds like he just wants to be on the field, no matter where they put him. Gotta like that attitude in a prospect.

http://bit.ly/cv5JKc

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Browns are only team at Kent St. Pro Day; Konz puts up "freakish" numbers

Link Copied to Clipboard