Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
T
We have Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace. We have no QB of the future here and we have amassed a ton of picks in this draft.

Reasonable deductions would be that the Browns are going to draft a QB and very early. I would assume that this target would be Sam Bradford but it very well could be another QB. However, it certainly seems like Bradford/Clausen or bust. I'm fairly certain that there is no way the Browns stay at #7.

What do you think?

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I really only see one realistic scenario of us not staying at 7.

And that is if the Rams go against the current thought, and pass on Bradford. Then I think the Browns are trying to trade up.

But that isn't very likely. So here is how I see it. If Berry is there, we take him. If he isn't there, I think we would take Jason Pierre-Paul or Joe Haden (if he has a good pro day on Wednesday).

I don't see a scenario in which we could trade back really.

Legend
Legend
We aren't drafting another first round QB.. too much risk.. and Holmgren doesn't have a history of drafting QB high...

I say 3rd round is the target.. I say Lefevour or Colt McCoy.. I'm kind of wanting McCoy..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Holmgren does have a history of using high picks to acquire unproven QB's. Basically the same thing.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
What history is that?

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hasslebeck and Favre.

Legend
Legend
its not the same thing.. lol.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I see very little difference.

Legend
Legend
the difference that you are not seeing is called "risk"...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Neither Hasslebeck nor Favre had proven a thing at that point. There was equal risk.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I see us either trading up with the Rams to get Sam Bradford or taking Colt McCoy with our 2nd rounder.

Legend
Legend
What happens if McCoy isn't there ?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I jump up and down with joy.

C
Legend
Legend
C
LeFevour. Although he doesn't seem like he is very accurate either.

Jeven Snead? Zac Robinson?

I really have no clue. It does seem like Holmgren has a plan for the QB position though.

D
2nd String
2nd String
D
Quote:

Neither Hasslebeck nor Favre had proven a thing at that point. There was equal risk.

Favre was not Holmgren. It was Ron Wolf.

Wolf fired Infante then went and hired Holmgren and then traded for Favre. The GM made that decision not the newly hired coach.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You think he didn't have an impact on that? He was part of the organization that made the move.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Just my opinon...

We go defence this year, heavy on Defence 9- 10 of our picks Defence.

Only way we go QB is if one we like fall to the 3rd round, and to me that would be a McCoy, Tebow or Pike maybe the guy fro C.michigan

Jake is here to hand-off the ball, not pass for 300 - 400 yards a game, let our defence put our offence in good postions and we play to win close games.

Next year we go QB, let him sit a year in 2011, Jake will be gone in 2012 and then that QB will be starting..
Just my opinon

C
Legend
Legend
C
Maybe that's why we signed Delhomme. Holmgren knows we are guaranteed the #1 pick if he starts for us, therefore locking up Jake Locker for us.

I knew he was a genius!

D
2nd String
2nd String
D
Quote:

You think he didn't have an impact on that? He was part of the organization that made the move.

But that is not what you said, is it?

You said this...

"Holmgren does have a history of using high picks to acquire unproven QB's. Basically the same thing. "

He may have been part of the room but it was ultimately Wolf's pick and call.

Just like whatever draft pick we make this year will not be Mangini's pick but Heckert's.

Being the expert, you could always call your sources so we find out for sure.

Last edited by Davy; 03/14/10 10:08 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
LOL

Keep making digs at me. I don't care. Holmgren being a part of the organization that has traded for two unproven QB's (one of the times he was the man in charge) has virtually no distinction between what I said.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I think that our qb spot is already filled for at least two years. Mike Holmgren believes that with our o-line and great running game, a veteran qb is exactly what we need. - A little ball control, nothing more, nothing less.

I think that we our going to choose defensive players with 80% of our draft picks this year. - Notably in the first and second rounds.

D
2nd String
2nd String
D
I disagree.
However I will play along. Using your logic, I hope Mangini picks a good quarterback in this draft.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
neither lets groom Cribbs to run the WCO!!!! haha

Id rather have Bradford then clausen.....but dont want to miss on Eric Berry!

#brownsgoodkarma
R
2nd String
2nd String
R
Quote:

2012 and then that QB will be starting

Great.. the year the world ends, we finally have something to look forward to.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Yeah, once the world ends we won't have to worry about crappy QB's anymore. Right?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Draft another qb? The cleveland browns? What do they say abouT history and people that are doomed?

I wouldn't go near a qb this year, stop drafting quarterbacks. Yes it took me 11 years to realize this.

D
1st String
1st String
D
Eric Berry

T
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Draft another qb? The cleveland browns? What do they say abouT history and people that are doomed?

I wouldn't go near a qb this year, stop drafting quarterbacks. Yes it took me 11 years to realize this.

LOL

So I guess the phrase "try and try again" never applied to you. Can't get a job? Oh well, better stop, I guess it's just not for me.

Buck, man, you need to go focus on something else. It's quite clear you thought more of this team than the FO. I guess if I thought this team was a player away from the playoffs, I'd be upset too but man...you need to realize that what this FO is doing is probably the right thing to do.

you had a good run Hank.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Great.. the year the world ends, we finally have something to look forward to.

look at the bright side, World ends in December, atleast will have 3 1/2 months to watch him, and listen to this board scream about what a bumb he is and what a wasted pick he is and we should be playing his back-up.

Legend
Legend

McCoy is also in the mix.

Depending on how the top part of the draft goes. If they are unable to get Clausen or Bradford then McCoy will be a consideration.

Although the draft is hard to predict the further it goes; given the current draft order you would think McCoy would be there for us in the second.

The Browns have enough ammo to go get him if needed in the bottom of the first.

Yesterday I spent about 45 minutes looking at as much info and film as I could find on McCoy. I came away feeling he could be a good fit for WCO. He handles pressure well. He can run and throw on the run. He is accurate. He can put touch on the ball. He appears to be a leader and hard worker. He is not the biggest guy or have the strongest arm but he makes plays under pressure.

One thing is very clear. The Browns are "all in" on this draft and we will draft what MH,and TH believe is our future QB.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

LeFevour. Although he doesn't seem like he is very accurate either.

Jeven Snead? Zac Robinson?

I really have no clue. It does seem like Holmgren has a plan for the QB position though.

I agree, it does seem like MH has a plan for the QB position... which is why I do NOT think he has a pecking order of QBs and when he will take them. I think he has his eye on one... maybe two... QBs in the draft that he wants and he knows where he wants to take them and if they are gone, he will pass on a QB this year. I do not see him saying, well Bradford is gone, what about Clausen in the second? Well Clausen is gone, what about LeFevour? Well LeFevour is gone, what about... I don't think that's going to happen. He has his top 1 or 2 and he isn't going to take anybody else, no matter how far they drop.. that's JMHO.

yebat' Putin
C
Legend
Legend
C
I agree with that. I think he has 1 or 2 guys (like you said) and an idea of where they should go. I think he will go get one of those guys either by using one of the picks we already have or trading up.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I'm telling you man. The qb position for the next two years is set. We are going to be taking defensive players in rounds 1,2, and 3. - The offense was addressed via free agency.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

I'm telling you man. The qb position for the next two years is set. We are going to be taking defensive players in rounds 1,2, and 3. - The offense was addressed via free agency.

If Delhomme and Wallace are the plan for the next two years, we're in big trouble. I don't think we're done at the QB spot. Not by a long shot.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
C
Legend
Legend
C
How can you say that for certain? Anything/Everything can change in the blink of an eye on draft day.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Agreed. - However, that's a mighty big contract to give Delhomme to sit. - He's our qb.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I think he starts out our QB. But that $7 million won't stop us from improving the QB position through the draft.

If the Rams don't pick Bradford with the #1 pick I expect we will try and trade up with the Bucs and take him there.

S
2nd String
2nd String
S
Personally I think drafting a QB this year is not a good idea. There will be atleast 3 QB's available in next years draft that are better than this years class. I'm crossing my fingers that we do not draft a QB with our first round pick or our second round pick for that matter.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I'll give you a what if scenario.

What if Jake Delhomme plays reasonably well for (we go 7-9, 8-8, 9-7)? We are now drafting in the middle of the 1st round in 2011 and the three top QB's are all gone by the time our pick rolls around (Mallet, Locker, Ponder I'm assuming).

Now we have a 36 year old starting QB with a 31 year old backup. With no top QB prospects in our grasps.

I agree that next year's QB's look pretty good, but I don't think the plan should be, "The QB's next year will be better, we should wait." The plan should be get a player now that we like so we don't have to worry about it next off-season as well.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'll give you a what if scenario.

What if Jake Delhomme plays reasonably well for (we go 7-9, 8-8, 9-7)? We are now drafting in the middle of the 1st round in 2011 and the three top QB's are all gone by the time our pick rolls around (Mallet, Locker, Ponder I'm assuming).

Now we have a 36 year old starting QB with a 31 year old backup. With no top QB prospects in our grasps.

I agree that next year's QB's look pretty good, but I don't think the plan should be, "The QB's next year will be better, we should wait." The plan should be get a player now that we like so we don't have to worry about it next off-season as well.

Now THIS is why I visit here,....another good Catch 22 look at what is/may/could/ought/might/should/ain't,.... a consideration that some of us had not even labotomized.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Should it be Bradford/Clausen or bust for the Browns?

Link Copied to Clipboard