Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
All Pro
All Pro
I think you have to take Okung in that scenario.

Has any team taken two #1 rated tackles within 5 years of each other? It's kinda intriguing. Spiller or JPP would be really tempting too. It's hard for me to see this as a bad thing.

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.

John Barrymore
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think you have to take Okung in that scenario.

+1

Sure up the O-line.....it gives the QB more time, the RB gets better holes, and it keeps the opposing defense on the field longer (which means your defense is off the field more).

Okung FTW!

Or trade down. SOMEONE will want to trade up in the scenario.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

There is enough talent in this draft that if we traded back into the the 12-32 range we would still get an impact player.

And teams in that range would just stay there and get an impact player instead of using another pick or two to move up to 7 to get someone margially better.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
This is such a weird year without a salary cap. It's so weird that I wouldn't completely object to drafting Okung. Lerner is a billionaire so he can afford the guaranteed money.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would take the guy that's being compared to Joe Thomas by some experts: Russell Okung.

That would make the ages of our line

25-29-24-29-22

giving us the best line in the NFL and Pashos the weak link and the rest of the line Pro-Bowl caliber.

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
Legend
Legend
Yup.....without a salary cap, you throw it all out the window. And that includes the Delhomme salary (who cares, it's irrelevant).

The way I see it, unless the BPA fits your biggest need.....draft to raise a strength. Not that we had a strong O-line last year, but we could have a crazy strong one with Thomas, Mack, & Okung. Build a strength and matchup problem.

I know we are super weak at the secondary but we have a ton of picks this year. Like WR's & RB's...you can find secondary later in the rounds. I'd rather spend the big money/high draft selections on O-line, Front-7, and QB.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Who is comparing him to Joe Thomas? I want to find them and revoke their expert status.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Who is comparing him to Joe Thomas? I want to find them and revoke their expert status.

From Matt McGuire of Walter Football

Quote:

Player Comparison: Joe Thomas. Thomas and Okung have very similar frames with very good intangibles and the upside to dominate at the next level. Both had polished pass protection skills in college.

NFL Touchdown

Quote:

NFL comparison:

Joe Thomas-Great footwork, experienced and hard working along with all the intangibles.

Hell, I don't know if the comparisons are right, but Okung looked great the few times I watched him play, and if he's anywhere near the level of JT, you can't go wrong with him.

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Okung is the guy I see a lot of teams wanting to trade up for in this draft. I would bet Okung is gone well before our pick on draft day.

Personally I would prefer Trent Williams. I just think his game is a better fit for our team. He would come in and be the starting RT and the backup LT.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That would explain it.

I see Okung's best case as D'Brick.

Jester, I also would prefer Trent Williams. I think he's a dominant right tackle at worst.

Legend
Legend
Since you're my draft guru go-to guy, why wouldn't you want Rolando McClain? I don't know a lot about a lot of these guys, not as much as many of you, but I do know what I saw of McClain (limited amount) he struck me as pretty dominant.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I just don't see a ton of upside there. I don't think he is explosive enough to be a dominant player. I see him as being solid, but not dominant. If I'm going linebacker in the top 10, I want a stud.

Legend
Legend
What Changed your mind? Three or four months ago you were all over this guy as the browns' first.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Honestly, I watched more. When I was saying that I had only seen a couple of games. I've seen a lot more of him now.

Legend
Legend
So he's the type of guy where if we trade down a couple of times like we did last year and we're sitting at 15-20, you take him?

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
Heck yeah! I want the guy with our 7th pick! I'm kind of shocked by some of the other suggestions. Especially Jason Piere Paul, he's a guy whose not even played a full season, let alone a dominating season yet he's considered in the Top 10? He is all potential but so was Michael Johnson and he went in round 3. He relies solely on his athleticism and has no real moves. He also has motivation problems.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
JPP doesn't have motivational problems. He's proven he loves football and is a high motor guy.

79: If we trade back, he's one of the guys I expect us to be targeting, and I would have no problem with that.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
You're thinking of George Selvie.

A real hit (homerun) or miss type guy who was considered a first round lock prospect about two years ago.

Would love to use one of those 5th rounders on a flier on him.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Jester, I also would prefer Trent Williams. I think he's a dominant right tackle at worst.

RT is a position I've been screaming about for awhile, and I really don't have the faith in this Tony Pashos that other people do. A strong RT can make or break our offense.

One thing I would be interested in doing is possibly the same thing you did in that Fake Draft on this board. Trading our early third to move up from early second to late first to possibly get a player we've been targeting, someone like Iupati(best-case) or Davis or Campbell.

I definitely would prefer a strong runblocker, but most importantly I want a real starting tackle. I don't think left or right is that big of a deal, a good one will figure it out. RT is a position that can make or break our offense. It affects every single position, and IMO the tackles are the most important positions on the line. Guards can be replaced, but good tackles are very difficult to find.

Otherwise Corner and Safety absolutely need to be addressed. And if we had the chance to draft Eric Berry and Earl Thomas, that wouldn't be a bad idea either.

As far as I'm concerned the third rounders are trade bait. We historically have had bad third round picks, and this year we have three. Give me three real starters, one a very good player, and I'll be happy. CB, S, RT. If we do not use our 1st round pick on a QB, these positions absolutely must be addressed if we hope to be successful.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
B
Legend
Legend
B
I have every hope a couple of 3rd rounders turns in to a 2nd rounder...or maybe a 3rd and our 4th...

This is a deep draft. You can probably go 50 deep and find guys who would normally have a 1st round grade.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
W
2nd String
2nd String
W
Quote:

trade down and get Earl Thomas

This would be my scenario. Go Brownies!!!!

Who Let Da Dawgs Out? Woof, Woof, Woof!!!!!
C
1st String
1st String
C
in lieu of a trade down for thomas, i'd say okung. worst case, he'd be a trade-able commodity if the salary is too prohibitive to keep him once the cap comes back.

iupati would be nice, but i'd rather see pashos inside with a rookie holding down RT. morgan, JPP, cody, odrick should also be considered....

no way dez gets consideration....can't even remember his shoes for the biggest day of his life. poor conditioning and no understanding of the drills doesn't bode well for his motivation.....im thinking BE with better hands, all teh same head problems.

Legend
Legend
Okung could "help" the defense as much as McClain,...(see "PunchSmack,...)

Any of them would be good/OK with me. (Mac, Williams, Thomas,....)

We need a lot of help. Everywhere.

Don't throw the pick away -- we have too many to work with. A good thing.

Wait for McCoy/LeFevour/Tebow in the second, or maybe trade a couple to move back up and snatch,...??

Crapshoot.

What is Mikey thinking,...THAT's what we're gonna do.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

No I'm not

Look up Selvies career stats then get back to me. Only played in 13 games and had 6.5 sacks.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

Quote:

No I'm not

Look up Selvies career stats then get back to me. Only played in 13 games and had 6.5 sacks.

What?

Selvie is a two time first team all american who played at a stud level his first three years. Then he had a very strange senior year where he was mostly ineffective and people questioned his work ethic and motivation. That's why I think you have the motivation deal confused with JPP.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Sorry I assumed that you thought I was talking about Selvie.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Worst Case Scenario

Link Copied to Clipboard