Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Legend
Legend
N
he's referring to the trade for Shelden Brown I am sure.

and yeah, it'd be tough to make Sheldon make the switch to FS this late in his career. some can do it well, others not so much.

if Haden is deemed the best player there though, I think it's worth the chance.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
And, while we'd all love our first day picks to come in and start day one, I'd have no problem with them easing their way in if they shine through in the near future.

And, the way DBs can get injured, and the fact that teams use a ton of DBs on different packages, it isn't like he'd be riding the pine the whole season.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm telling you now. If Berry is gone, the Browns will trade back.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Who then would be willing to trade up and for who? The most obvious would be for Clausen but what says a team doesn't trade with Washington to Seattle for him? Also if we trade back who would be our target? Dan Williams/Odrick?

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd say Trent Williams or Clausen would be the target. Possibly C.J. Spiller or Dez as well.

I think we'd trade back to the 15-20 range to take Odrick.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Certainly a possiblity. However, if we like Haden, I'd rather stay put and take him at #7. CB is a tough position to fill and I don't think signing Brown should preclude us from taking the best one in the draft if he's there (again, assuming we've done our homework and really like the guy). Brown isn't getting any younger and we're still thin at corner.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I would be ok with that. Dline is something you can never have enough of.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
C
Legend
Legend
C
I agree. If Berry is gone we trade back. Get more picks. Draft Odrick, Charles Brown, Pouncey, or Iupati. Then possibly trade back into the end of the 1st for our QB.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Confirmed...Good move...

A source close to the Browns confirmed to SI's Peter King that Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant is "no longer on our list."

This second an earlier report from Terry Pluto of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. The Browns have been trying to rid their locker room of any cancers (they're the anti-Jets) and questions about Bryant's character have apparently ruled him out. The Browns also have a ton of holes on defense to fill with the No. 7 overall pick.
Source: SI.com

Go Browns!!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think our targets would be Odrick, Earl Thomas, Ryan Mathews, Brandon Graham, or Sergio Kindle. Odrick and Thomas are most likely IMO.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I think our targets would be Odrick, Earl Thomas, Ryan Mathews, Brandon Graham, or Sergio Kindle. Odrick and Thomas are most likely IMO.

I probably like Odrick the least of those options (and Earl the most), but they are all solid options and Odrick plays a premium position to have talented youth at.

Hopefully, we are able to trade back and garner a couple more top100 draft picks. Should be a fun weekend of draft.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

While I could see those options as what the Browns are considering, the ones I'd be looking at are:

Graham
Thomas
Iupati
McClain
Maybe Odrick?
Maybe Anthony Davis?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't think we go McClain with how many linebackers we have. I see o-line purely as a last resort for us. And Odrick isn't a question mark. It wouldn't surprise me if we took him at 7. The Browns love him.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't think we go McClain with how many linebackers we have. I see o-line purely as a last resort for us. And Odrick isn't a question mark. It wouldn't surprise me if we took him at 7. The Browns love him.

Yeah I read that article too. But like I said, that's just the list I'd be using.

*edit* and we have a lot of linebackers, but we still need a really good one for the inside.

Last edited by clevesteve; 04/12/10 01:52 PM.
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
If the richard seymour comparisons hold true than I wouldn't have any issues with that pick.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

So U know there are/is team(s) waiting to move in to # 7....

Last edited by Attack Dawg; 04/12/10 03:44 PM.
Legend
Legend
we wont know until AFTER the draft. lol.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

So U known there are/is team(s) waiting to move in to # 7....

I think that's important for us to remember. We'd like to trade down/up, but you need a partner to dance.

All Pro
All Pro
Billy Idol doesn't need a partner to dance. Neither does Madonna.

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.

John Barrymore
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Someone will be willing to move up for an OT, Clausen, Spiller or Dez.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
If the Browns can trade back and take Earl Thomas, I'll throw a party. I have been advocating that move for a long time.

you had a good run Hank.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Another option is to just pass on our pick and work your way down, # 7 we pass we than pick 8th, no takers we pass & draft at # 9, on down, but common some GM's ego is gonna get in the way & he's gonna pull the plug on a trade, Yes we dont get additional picks like we want, but we do save $$$$ when we sign the guy. always an option.....

Last edited by ClayM57; 04/12/10 03:28 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I hear quite a few things..what I haven't heard or got a whiff of is who wants to move up..

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Question, If we cant trade down a few spots, what's the big problem with taking E.Thomas at # 7, I mean isnt it smarter to take a player at a need postion early than not pick him at all, I mean common he wont be there come the 2nd round.

Earls not rated a top 10 pick.....by Who and so what, is he a player the CLEVELAND BROWNS Defense needs to compete this coming year ?

We will over pay him at # 7 .....Ok 3/4 of the NFL is already over paid, whats one more guy....and common we had Gerrald Warren on our team...talk about over paying...

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
... OR, why not take the top CB in the draft (Haden)? Sheldon Brown is not a long-term answer at corner and this is a tough position to fill (tougher than safety). If we llike Haden, I'd take him at #7 and, hopefully, solidify the position for a long time going forward. I think we can probably find a good safety later in the draft.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Question, If we cant trade down a few spots, what's the big problem with taking E.Thomas at # 7, I mean isnt it smarter to take a player at a need postion early than not pick him at all, I mean common he wont be there come the 2nd round.

Earls not rated a top 10 pick.....by Who and so what, is he a player the CLEVELAND BROWNS Defense needs to compete this coming year ?

We will over pay him at # 7 .....Ok 3/4 of the NFL is already over paid, whats one more guy....and common we had Gerrald Warren on our team...talk about over paying...

Clay, I don't have any problem taking a guy at 7 who is an impact player. I'm not convinced that Thomas is that same impact player along the lines of Berry, Suh, Haden, Bryant, or even Spiller.

Basically if we pick at 7 and we take someone whose ceiling is "a solid starter at a non-premium position" and leave an impact player on the board I'll be upset. The reason I'm not trumpeting to get Haden or Spiller in this scenario is that I'm satisfied with the starters we have at those positions this year.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Berry, Suh, Haden, Bryant, or even Spiller.

Why is Haden included in this group?

Isn't there some debate on whether or not Haden is even the best corner in the draft? (Kyle Wilson.)

Legend
Legend
I don't think there are a whole lot of people who think that. It might be true, but if that were the case I'd expect to see some mocks where Haden went lower than 13 or Wilson went higher than 18, and I haven't yet.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I haven't heard of any debate there.

Earl Thomas in the top 10 would make me want to puke.

C
1st String
1st String
C
there's debate on every player. haden's body of work is solid against much better competition than wilsons...

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

there's debate on every player. haden's body of work is solid against much better competition than wilsons...

i like Ghee better than Wilson.

there I said it, i know i am in the minority, but Wilson gambles way too much for my liking (yes, part of that was their defensive scheme).

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't like Wilson very much, but I have Ghee in the 2nd/3rd round. I have Wilson as a 1st rounder.

Kareem Jackson isn't being talked about enough.

N
Legend
Legend
N
i know you do, it's one of the things i've been meaning on debating you on your rankings but haven't had enough time to put together my thoughts. maybe tomorrow (always tomorrow )

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Wasn't his running mate at CB Javier Arenas the one who got all the accolades - All SEC in '08 and '09? I know the big issue with Arenas is his height.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That would be him. Kareem Jackson played opposite of Arenas.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Another reason to not like Dez Bryant, he speaks in 3rd person.

Quote:

"I just made a mistake," Bryant said. "Dez Bryant's a great person to be around. He loves the game of football. He can't wait to get back on the field and do whatever to help the team."

web page

Legend
Legend
Looks like we aren't the only ones to take him off our draft board:

www.KFFL.com

Jaguars | Dez Bryant removed from draft board
Tue, 13 Apr 2010 00:01:16 -0700

The Jacksonville Jaguars are likely to add a wide receiver in the NFL Draft, according to Michael C. Wright, of The Florida Times Union, but it isn't likely to happen with their 10th overall pick in the draft. The Jaguars have had several bust wide receivers taken in the first round previously. According to multiple NFL sources, the Jaguars have eliminated Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant from their draft board because of character concerns.

C
Legend
Legend
C
If you ask me, that's a reason to like him.

His press conferences would be great.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
On that note...........
Quote:

More than 10 teams have taken Dez Bryant off their draft boards
Posted by Mike Florio on April 13, 2010 9:12 PM ET
As former Oklahoma State receiver Dez Bryant generates an increasing amount of interest in the days leading up to the draft, a league source tells us that more than 10 teams have removed Bryant from their draft boards.

One such team, we're told, is the Seahawks. The Browns and the Jaguars reportedly have removed him from their boards, too.

Per the source, the concern is that, once he gets paid, it's unknown whether he'll show up for work on a consistent basis. Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reported several weeks ago that Bryant was late for multiple practices, and even games.

Of course, one way around this concern would be to insist upon inclusion of the same "diva clause" into Bryant's contract that the 49ers placed into receiver Michael Crabtree's deal, which hinges $15 million in escalators to participation in 90 percent of all activities, voluntary and mandatory. It would be hard for Bryant's agent to balk at such a move. After all, he's the same agent who agreed to the inclusion of that term in Crabtree's contract.

And as to those team who don't plan to consider drafting Bryant? The reality is that 31 teams can take him off their draft boards -- and he can still be a first-round pick.

As Peter King of SI.com told us tonight, Hall of Fame tackle Anthony Munoz was removed from the draft boards of more than 10 teams; 14, to be exact. And yet the knee injury that caused half the league to run in the other direction didn't keep him from becoming one of the best offensive linemen of all time.

Of course that's PFT. I don't always believe when someone says their "sources" told them anything, but the stories about Dez are so scary that it doesn't surprise me whatsoever that teams are yanking him off their boards completely.

There's being a "diva," such as what Crab was supposed to be last year, then there's being a potential problem-child, such as what Dez is now. I would emphasize "potential" because it's all speculation right now, but when a team is about to invest a 1st round pick as well as some $15 million dollars, well, speculation becomes critical.

I've said I want no part of Bryant after what i've heard. What will this guy be doing when that first $5 million dollars hits his bank? He could be Pacman 2.0.

He has great talent, but he's also runs a big risk of being a complete loser. No thanks, not for a receiver this early in the draft.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

I've said I want no part of Bryant after what i've heard. What will this guy be doing when that first $5 million dollars hits his bank?

Boats N Whores....Boats N whoes......gotta get me some boats N Whoes

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Kiper says we should take Dez Bryant at #7

Link Copied to Clipboard