Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
K
who is the one guy in this draft that we just cannot afford to let go to another team? in your own opinion of course...It could be any player, at any point in the draft, or any situation...

say...Colt McCoy in the 3rd...something like that if theres no one player that wed be okay without...

but, in your opinion...who is the one player we HAVE to HAVE...I think its Eric Berry and we should make any move to get him...but, who do you think we gotta have on Cleveland next year? and when do we have to take him?

like even the kid from Clemson...say we gotta have him in the 3rd (Ford?)

however...lets also add the backup plan if we dont get the guy...

I think if we miss out on Berry, that Earl Thomas must become a brown...or a Safety that can start day 1

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
Legend
Legend
Last year I said it was Clay Matthews. This year I like Brandon Graham almost as much.

I think Eric Berry is special, but I don't want to trade up above 7 for anyone. I wouldn't mind a trade-up from 2nd to 1st or 3rd to 2nd for the right guy.

Part of me wants to say John Jerry, but Mike Johnson and Mitch Petrus can be had if he's gone. It sounds like Iupati has a chance to be special, but I've never seen him play.

I think Selvie will be a great value where he goes, but that will probably be the 4th where we don't have a pick.

Oh yeah... and Jordan Shipley.

All Pro
All Pro

I'm gonna hate watching CJ Spiller tear it up on another team. Favorite player in the draft.

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.

John Barrymore
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I'm torn between Earl Thomas and Eric Berry. I absolutely believe we need on of these two as our DB.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A QB by the end of the third round.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Eric Berry.

Money in the bank.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Look at my sig. It would be so fun to watch a Metcalf(2) kind of guy here---for me at least.

But as far as players that I've seen that have really outperformed their "supposed" draft status.

Eric Decker, WR
Arrelious Benn, WR
Myron Rolle, S
George Selvie, DE (OLB in 3-4)
Aaron Hernandez, TE
Mardy Gilyard, WR
Greg Hardy, DE (undecided in 3-4)
Daniel Te'O-Neshiam, LB (OLB in 3-4)
Mike Kafka, QB

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Eric Berry.

Money in the bank.

this.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Quote:

Look at my sig. It would be so fun to watch a Metcalf(2) kind of guy here---for me at least.

But as far as players that I've seen that have really outperformed their "supposed" draft status.

Myron Rolle, S

Really? He was very mediocre in college. You're letting the media hype and intangibles blind you to the actual play of this kid. He's nothing special on the field.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This is a very tricky question to pose. I'd like Zac Robinson in the 6th (or one of our late 5ths) if we don't have a QB.

Umm, Brandon Graham if he fell to the 2nd round. Same thing with that CB out of Rutgers. Nate Allen in the 3rd if available. Vlad Duccaise (however it's spelled) in the 3rd if available. Anthony Davis in the 2nd if available. Colt McCoy in the 3rd if available. Tim Tebow in the 4th.

Gilyard or Jordan Shippley with our final 3rd round pick if available would be nice (unless we traded into the 4th to get one of them)

There's a lot of guys I like in the draft, any guy I have rated in the 2nd that falls to the 3rd I would want in the 3rd. Just as any guy I have rated in the 1st falling in the 2nd I would want in the 2nd.

I'm sure pretty much everyone here feels that way

I still like the idea of drafting like Eric Berry or Joe Haden 1st, then packaging a 3rd to go with our 2nd to move up to the high 1st to get Iupati or Anthony Davis (if they're deemed 1st round worthy). We need one more O-Linemen on the right side of our line, that's something that I have deemed essential to our offense having any success next season. Without that one O-Linemen our entire offense will be much less successful than it ever could have been, passing and running the ball

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
B
Legend
Legend
B
Tim Tebow.

If he is there in the 2nd round and we pass I'll be ticked(assuming we don't take a qb in round 1).

I will seriously question the team if we pass, then select some scrub qb in round 3-4. It will take a good while for it to be proven to me that was a good move.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I think you are letting your Gator heart get in the way of your head....

I think Tebow will EVENTUALLY be fine in the NFL....Great kid, great athelete, etc.etc.....But he is a BAD fit for the Browns. We do not have the time to develop him. There are better options for the offense that we run.

The only reason to take him is if you already have your QB...Which we don't....Because if you already have your QB...he has time to develop or he can work on a different position.

Just a bad fit for the Browns....

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
P
Legend
Legend
P
Colt McCoy.

Even if we have to move up into the late first at that stage of the game you don't have to "give up the wranch" to make that move.

Making a move up from the #7 pick to the #1 pick is VERY costly! We aren't at the point we can afford that right now. I do believe McCoy has shown his will to win and be a team player at Texas and his % and record back that up.

It's an affordable and logical answer to addressing our QB of the future IMO

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Anyone BUT Eric Berry!

I'm not looking for arguments or to troll here either, I just hope they don't bring in another overhyped defensive player and neglect an investment into the offensive side of the ball.

The best thing to improve the defense is to improve the offense!

I"ll be so discourgaed if they pick a defensive superstar in round 1 and hype the move all ofseason, only to see the team have a losing record next year and years to come because it is the same recipe they have followed for years.

The hype is the pass rush is figured out the defense is going to be better they got
Gerald Warren,
Courtney Brown,
Kamerion Wimbley, The pass defense will finaly be improved, they finaly invested in a defensive back

It is only the 25th defensive back to be drafted since 99,
( an exageration, maybe but they sure have drafted alot of them)

I'm not here to discourage you if your hope is in an Eric Berry draft pick at #7
I"m just here to say it is not a consensous that it would be what is best.

Please Please!! let them fix the offense! Heckert if you read this, Please fix the offense!
I want to see games that are watchable!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

I'm gonna hate watching CJ Spiller tear it up on another team. Favorite player in the draft.

I don't like Spiller, I saw his bowl game, I didn't respect the opponent, I question whether he is a prototype "football player" or is he more of a workout warrior, someone who is great shape close to 0% bodyfat, how can that last as a Rb? Runningbacks take hits they need bodyfat to absorb punishment or bones are going to give and that is missed playing time.

I don't respect the conference of Clemson, I think he's not as impressive if you had to compare him to rb's from other years, even if he is the best rb of this year then that would mean putting hope in the projection that the best at a position for a year would eventually be above average at that position at some year of his career. Spiller would be a need pick, and I don't even think he will be the best rb

Alot like Claussen I think he will be a bust, now watch them both be hof's (pfft ya right)

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

I don't like Spiller

Fair enough. Obviously I do. Try not to think of him playing Jerome Bettis' game, but rather Faulk and Westbrook's. You might change your mind.

To my mind Spiller is the most dangerous and dynamic offensive player coming out.

John Barrymore
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

The best thing to improve the defense is to improve the offense!

Assuming you have an average defense, which we do not have.

Sorry, but we desperately need a defensive play maker. We have a defensive coach, holes in the defensive side ball and a good shot at our first defensive playmaker since...?

Screw the offense. In 07 we had a great offense and had to score 30 points a game just to win. That's not winning football, that's not good, playoff football. You want to be entertained, I want to see the Browns win. Defense is how to do that.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree. What I want is a homerun hitter in the outfield. I want OUR Polamalu.. I want some one that makes receivers look over their shoulders and listen for footsteps. I want a guy thats gonna make opposing QB's quake with fear. I want a guy back there that coordinators have to game plan for.

I'd be okay with Berry in the 1st, McCoy in the 2nd, and a GOOD guard / tackle to help out the right side of our pathetic line.

If we do that, I'm just tickled with our draft.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

To my mind Spiller is the most dangerous and dynamic offensive player coming out.

Don't you mean "part time offensive player"?

There in lies the problem. He's not an every down NFL RB. If you expect to be a top 10 pick, you need to be on the field "every down" your unit is on the field.

That's why IMO he doesn't even enter into the equasion at #7.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
An odd pick for me but Mitch Petrus, guard from Arkansas.

I just think the kid is gonna be a beast. Ridiculous athleticism, good power, good technique. I actually think that due to his weaker in line drive blocking, he could potentially move out out to right tackle?

If he's there in the 4th, we cannot, cannot, cannot not pick him.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Rolle was the number 1 overall rated high school prospect in the country.

He started for Florida State as a freshman. Think about that.

He was first team all-american fresh and the ACC defensive rookie of the year.

He had an off sophmore season because he was taking his pre-med coursework more seriously than his film work on opponents. So he rededicated himself his junior year to football and was third team all-american as a junior.

Then he left for the Rhodes Scholarship.

Now he's full into football. Once that's done he'll be full into medicine.

He's fully focused and more than athletic enough to be an NFL starting safety.

I saw him play once his freshman year. Then caught a few games his sophomore and junior seasons and believe me you guys are selling this guy way too short as it pertains to football prowess.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d8178e182/Draft-Journey-Final-impressions

[Linked Image]
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

Don't you mean "part time offensive player"?

No, I don't. Do you consider Peterson an every down back? I remember seeing him come off on 3rd down.

Almost every team uses some kind of rotation in the backfield. This guy has great moves in the open field, and also in limited space. He can run between the tackles. He is a legitimate threat catching the ball. As a bonus Spiller is also an excellent returner. I see this player very much in the same mold as Westbrook, not quite as good as Faulk.

If Best is ok healthwise he would be a steal in the 2nd too.

John Barrymore
Legend
Legend
TIM TEBOW!!!! End of discussion!

Okay now seriously, I'd say besides Ndamunkong Suh that my choice would be Eric Berry. If we draft anyone over him not named Suh I will be livid!

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Then he left for the Rhodes Scholarship.

Thats enough for Mangin right there. Even if the Browns take Berry in the 1st I still want the Browns to take another Safety. They need one to start immediately next Elam and they need another backup that can play special teams right away. Sorenson is OK on specail teams. He should be considering thats his forte, but the Browns have a few other players that just play specail teams, namely Costanza. But Sorenson really dont stick out to me on specail teams. Definately not enough to save a roster spot for him. I didnt see him play at all during pre-season and I thought he was a goner for sure. When the Browns were forced to play Sorenson at Safety a couple of years ago, his play was well below par. He had no speed and took horrible angles. Even when teams had a lead they kept picking on him because it was safer then running the ball. When Adams was moved to CB, Mangini and Ryan decided to play Furrey at Safety over Sorenson.

In round 5, I would be happy with either Rolle or Church from Toledo, although Id prefer Church. I think if Church was in a FSU surrounded by more NFL ready talent, hes a for sure 2-3 round pick. Church could play in every specail teams formation right away. He even blocked FGs in Toledo. He could very well be an instant upgrade over Sorenson in specail teams and if they had to see the field at Safety. Opposing offenses moved the ball on Toledo by finding out where Church was on the field and going the other way. He had no NFL ready talent around him.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
So he had a good freshman season then cared more about other things than football. Yeah no thanks on that kid!

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

So he had a good freshman season then cared more about other things than football. Yeah no thanks on that kid!

Are you really going to knock a kid for accepting somethings most student athletes could only dream of?

I guarantee a LOT of guys would not turn down the offer Myron recieved or you really don't understand the value or importance of it.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I say that if Tebow is available with our first pick in the second round, we gotta take him.

P
Legend
Legend
P
So you're trying to compare a 6'1" 217 pound Adrien Peterson to a 5' 11" 195 pound C.J. spiller?

Gotchya!

You're actually putting these two in the same sentence when they simply don't compare? I don't see Spiller in ANYONE'S three top rated talent list. AP was on many.

I could go on in just how far off your comparison is but I think most who read this will already realise it.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Chris Johnson is the only guy who comes to mind for me. However the jury is still debating on him. He did show he could be a workhorse last year though.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'd be amazed if we take Tebow, period. Certainly not unless he drops to the 3rd round. Too many other needs, IMO.

Round 1, Pick 7 (7)
Round 2, Pick 6 (38)
Round 3, Pick 7 (71)
Round 3, Pick 21 (85) (From Patriots through Raiders)
Round 3, Pick 28 (92) (From Jets)
Round 5, Pick 3 (134) (From Buccanneers)
Round 5, Pick 15 (146) (From Broncos through Lions)
Round 5, Pick 29 (160) (From Jets)
Round 6, Pick 8 (177)
Round 6, Pick 17 (186) (From Panthers)

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Chris Johnson is the only guy who comes to mind for me. However the jury is still debating on him. He did show he could be a workhorse last year though.

Now that I would consider a very fair comparison. Their size and weight are almost identicle. And yes he was a work horse this past season.

And I agree the jury is still debating on him as well. I mean at his size, how long can he take those hits? I like him as a RB very much!

But here again, due to his size, people question if he'll be durable over the long haul. As you say, the jury is still debating that one.

He pretty much shows why I don't see C.J. Spiller going at #7. Johnson was picked 24th overall. Spiller may go a little higher but I would highly doubt he goes top 10.

jmho

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

So you're trying to compare a 6'1" 217 pound Adrien Peterson to a 5' 11" 195 pound C.J. spiller?

No, I was illustrating the fact that impact players are not neccesarily on the field every down. Peterson has a huge impact in spite of the fact he isn't on the field for 3rd downs. The guy I WAS comparing him to is Westbrook, who got quite a few touches himself.

I like Spiller a lot. I think he's going to be special. If you don't, whatever. Have a beer, Pit. It's friday.

John Barrymore
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would not be unhapy with McCoy or Tebow in the second, but there are a couple of other QB's that may deserve a mention. Lefevor is an ideal WCO QB, while Crompton, and Skelton are more prototypical QB's. I also thing that Jarret Brown from West Virginia has potential.

Just as long a we get a QB.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

He pretty much shows why I don't see C.J. Spiller going at #7. Johnson was picked 24th overall. Spiller may go a little higher but I would highly doubt he goes top 10.

jmho

I kind of disagree for one reason. I think teams will be so anxious to get a chris johnson type talent in their offense that they might be crazy enough to trade up into the top 10 and draft him. Especially if Buffalo wants to trade down. Seattle could take Spiller too. Their's also the Raiders and nobody knows what Al Davis will do

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

Colt McCoy.

yes colt mcoy esp if we can get him in the 2nd round

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I kind of disagree for one reason. I think teams will be so anxious to get a chris johnson type talent in their offense that they might be crazy enough to trade up into the top 10 and draft him. Especially if Buffalo wants to trade down.

Well there are a couple of true needs that Buffalo should be looking hard at, at that point in the draft. LT and QB. IMO if Claussen falls to them, depending on how highly rated they have Claussen, he may very well be a target to them. If he is and if he's there, I don't see them trading down.

They are also in desperate need of a LT. So depending on how they have them rated and who is still on the board at the LT position, I see tham taking a LT possibly as well.

There is yet another HUGE need to them that IMO would prevent them from trading down any more than a few picks. They are switching over to the 3-4. So I wouldn't feel they would want to trade down past 10 or 12 so they could still land Dan Williams NT.

Quote:

Seattle could take Spiller too. Their's also the Raiders and nobody knows what Al Davis will do

When it comes to Seattle, they simply have NO LT. lol Walter Jones retired and they're in desperate persuit of a LT. They could certainly use a RB, yet when you really look at their needs, their OL is in awful shape! Nobody can run there. But yeah, I guess they could get Spiller to play tackle dummy there.

And you're right, nobody knows what Al Davis may do. I have an idea but you can never tell with Al! He like the freaks. Those physicly gifted beyond the norm. There's an OT out there who fits that description and Al is running out of excuses for Russel.

Check out the Bruce Campbell. He lacks the starts IMO to even be considered at the #8 pick, but the kid is a freak of nature. Super big, super strong and super fast. The perfect Al Davis candidate!

The thing is, prototypicly a back the size of Spiller used to go that high but so many of them "broke and busted". I can't say for a fact he won't go top 10, but I just don't see it happening.

jmho

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I'm not sure that Spiller is everything that the Browns need, but I think that he'll be the Browns selection (provided he isn't taken before the #7 pick) and for the reasons why I stated in the full mock I put up in the mock drafts thread.

I think that Suh would be great, but he obviously won't be there at #7 and I don't think that he is worth moving up from #7 to #1 or #2 to get.

All Pro
All Pro
No, it doesn't look like a need pick at all if you like Harrison, which I do. In fact, Taking Spiller would make him expendable, which would be pretty unfair to JH since it took him so long to get his chance, and he did so well when he got it.

I don't think the Browns will take him at 7, they will take Berry or Clausen, trade up for Bford or try to move down a couple spots if they really don't like JC.

I'm going to be grumpy watching Spiller tear up the league for Seattle or whoever takes him. OROY.

John Barrymore
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
We have 3 3rd roudn picks...we HAVE to get/secure G M.Johnson with 1 of them...it might be considered an overdraft but I would not care starting-G for years and versatile (LG/RG and RT upside down the line with more experience)

With the our boatload of 5ths and 6ths I'd be more than happy to trade all 5 of them to get TE Moeaki, RT Calloway and OLB Te'o-Nesheim in the 4th/early 5th

In the 2nd....it's either OLB Hughes (trade up), DE L.Joseph, DE Alualu, FS N.Allen or bust for me (there are some others I'd be ok with though like RB Best, WR D.Thomas, CB Robinson, CB McCourty)....just AVOID in any form or fashion: Mays, Iupati, Odrick

My dream draft has us trading down to mid-1st get an extra 2nd and more (to trade back into round 2 AGAIN) and draft FS Thomas, CB Haden or OT T.Williams in 1st, FS Allen (if no Thomas in 1st of course), DE Alualu, secure McCluster in late 2nd (some uptrade), then M.Johnson and Gerhart or Tate in 3rd...and then the late round guys I have above...if we somehow could get J.Hughes out of that too, would be a kicker

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Oh, I don't think that Holmgren is looking at Harrison getting his chance last year.

I think Holmgren is looking to improve the offense and the Browns had a large presence in Clemson. I don't think they were there for any other player other than Spiller.

And I think that RB is an area of need. Harrison isn't the answer, despite his production against KC, OAK and JAX at the end of last year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) the one guy who CANT get away

Link Copied to Clipboard