Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
All Pro
All Pro
S
So, do you think the Vikes and the Saints need AP and RB to get where they got? Not really being confrontational, just A question. I saw Edge James go from elite status to nothing.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
What if Kyle Wilson is still available at our second round pick?

Do we go back to back?

BPA says maybe

[Linked Image]
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
I was sitting here thinking the same thing.

Welcome to Cleveland Joe Haden.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Best pick we could have made. Browns tried really hard to move back, but there were no takers.

R
Rookie
Rookie
R
I agree, in a pass happy league you have to able to defend the pass and make plays in the secondary. Haden will hopefully be that guy/

KoB, running the ball is very important but I think at this point having a franchise RB is more of a luxury than a necessity. We have too many needs and we have serviceable backs in Harrison and Hillis that we can upgrade later.

Improve on your most desperate needs then go from there.

"Every time that I score, I'm going to get the ball and sign it "To Holmgren" and give it to him just so he has the proof that I'm worth every penny"- JC
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I really wanted Berry, but I can live with Haden. I knew Berry wouldn't be there. Our secondary sucked last year, so this is a very good pick for us. I just hope Haden lives up to the hype.

Holmgren should have been drawn and quartered if he gave up the farm for the #1 pick.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Legend
Legend
Look at a team like the Jets .....

Revis and Cromarte (sp) ... and yet they still spent a 1st rounder on Kyle Wilson.

With more and more 3 and 4 receiver sets, 3 and 4 quality CBs become a necessity.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Best pick we could have made. Browns tried really hard to move back, but there were no takers.

This...agree 100%

Haden was the best pick for the spot H/H were in

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

My Grade B-
Could have traded down and still got him. imho

Maybe, but as much as I would have liked to slide down a bit, someone has to be our dancing partner.

It doesn't mean we didn't try, it just may mean we didn't get a good enough trade offer, if we received one.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Legend
Legend
Sorry, a little late to the party

Quote:

I guess this probably means Brown goes to safety

Not according to Mangini. He and Heckert were interviewed after the haden pick and it was shown on All Bets Are Off. That question was asked twice and both times Mangini made it pretty clear that he didn't think that Brown would be moving to Safety.

But, and I'm paraphrasing here, he mentioned that there would be plenty of times that thier coverage calls for 3 or even 4 CB's..

To me it appears that unless Haden unseats Wright or Brown, he's our Nickel. At least to start with. But we all know how quickly that can change..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Trust me when I say the Browns tried. They really tried.

I expect Haden will be the 3rd corner this year. There is a good chance that when he comes into the game they will move Brown to the slot.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

To me it appears that unless Haden unseats Wright or Brown, he's our Nickel. At least to start with. But we all know how quickly that can change..

The way I see it, anyone can be nickel. The competition is on, I wonder if Haden will come into camp on time.

Sheldon Brown easily can take Wright's spot, so can Haden. So may be Wright will be nickel, wouldn't that be crazy! No matter what, depth at that position is good. But i suspect Nickel will be Brown, he's good against the run as well as pass, so he might be helpful lining up against slot WR's and helping with the run game as well.

Our pass defense was awful last year. Now we are working toward fixing that.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
Browns Defensive Back Joe Haden conference call 4-22-10

(Welcome to the Cleveland Browns)- “Thanks, I appreciate it.”

(On how he is feeling right now)- “I am just trying to soak it all up. It’s crazy. Just a dream come true. I feel like this is like a blessing.”

(On the tears in his eyes and what was said when he learned he would be selected by the Browns)- “Actually he (Coach Mangini) was just trying to make me smile because he saw the tears coming out of my eyes. It was just joy, tears of joy, just to finally been able to arrive and know that I’m playing for a team and know where I’m going to be because I just knew it was going to happen. I could see it. Before I got drafted you never really knew where you’re going to live, what team you’re going to, what situation you’re going to be in. I loved Cleveland when I was there and I was just happy that they liked me enough to draft me. On the phone they told me ‘You’re on TV, so try and smile for us.’”

(On his 40 time at the combine and if he was worried about it hurting him in the draft)- “At first I was. At first I honestly was, but I knew that my back was messed up and I’m just a competitive player so I like to just go out and compete. If I see players doing football stuff, I just go out there and compete. I knew I had another chance to run again at my pro day, which I did and I ran a 4.41 for Cleveland. That’s what the coaches had me at in my 40. I knew I had another chance. I was just thinking at the end of the day all the scouts that talked to me said, ‘Joe, your film speaks for itself. I mean if you’re were 4.5 covering, you don’t look like 4.5 on film at all. You look a whole lot faster.’”

(On if he had a good idea that he was on the Browns radar screen and that had a good chance of coming here)- “Yes, I definitely had a good idea about that when I talked to Coach Holmgren. He definitely was telling me that they were really, really interested in taking me at No. 7. And once he told me that, it just made me have a sigh of relief. Then once I left my visit in Cleveland, I really didn’t have contact with anyone from Cleveland so I didn’t know if they just stopped liking me or what happened so I just came in here didn’t know what was going on.”

(On who told him to just smile because you’re on TV)- “Oh, Mangini.”

(On how he hurt his back before the combine)- “It was working out before the combine. When I got there, it was good, but when I did the bench press at the combine, that’s when I re-aggravated it.”

(On the pressure in covering a team’s number one receiver)- “There’s always pressure when you’re out there on an island. It’s just you versus him. At corner, you have to have a one track mind and a short memory. The one thing that I try to do is I definitely put pressure on myself. I’m my biggest critic. When I’m out there, I know that I have to have a lot of film study and a lot of just knowing what is going on and I have to be really comfortable. That’s one thing that makes me a whole lot more comfortable when I’m out there, because I like to study film, I like to know what is going on before it happens.”

(On what it means to him to have the full confidence of Tim Tebow)- “Hearing that from Tim, it’s definitely a big thing because he is one of the hardest workers that I’ve ever met in my life. All of the stuff that he talks about as far as work ethic and that he would do anything for the team, he really will. To hear that from Tim, I basically just tried to do the same things as he did. Me and him were on the same workout plan and whenever we practiced, we went 100 miles an hour. Just like Tebow, whenever he practices, he does everything at 100 miles an hour. That’s the same thing I did. I noticed that he noticed that because I was trying to lead my DBs and he was trying to lead the whole offense. You recognize people that do the right things and definitely try hard. I was talking to the coaches about it whenever they asked me about him, I just put him as high as he was supposed to be. I don’t make up anything because he deserves everything that he can get.”

(On being picked by the Browns after early predictions that he would end up here died off)- “It is kind of crazy. A lot of stuff I had heard had me going to the Browns. It wasn’t really from scouts or anything at first, so I was like ‘How does everybody know that I’m supposed to be going to Cleveland? How is everybody so sure of that?’ It was kind of crazy because I didn’t think everybody knew really what they were talking about.”
Tune is online now Add to Tune's Reputation Report Post Reply With Quote

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I expect Haden will be the 3rd corner this year. There is a good chance that when he comes into the game they will move Brown to the slot.

I figured they did, DT. They took the BPA at that spot.

Sometimes people don't like certain guys at a spot, so they get upset if we don't trade out, not realizing you need 2 to tango.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I have no doubt we TRIED to trade down.

Oh well, welcome aboard, Joe.

Fingers crossed for the best . . .

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

It was pretty apparent and I have no access. They took their clock all the way to the wire.

However, I think the got 1B on their list so they are okay with that.

you had a good run Hank.
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Quote:

Sorry, a little late to the party

Quote:

I guess this probably means Brown goes to safety

Not according to Mangini. He and Heckert were interviewed after the haden pick and it was shown on All Bets Are Off. That question was asked twice and both times Mangini made it pretty clear that he didn't think that Brown would be moving to Safety.

that's awsome, we hopefully won't see eat-pot out there covering anybody.

We're trying to throw the ball downfield and he checked the ball down to Trent Richardson and the Indians on the choice.
N
Legend
Legend
N
good pick, welcome aboard.

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
j/c Love the pick. Would have wanted Berry, but let's be honest, this is the guy we wanted back in January since Berry likely wasn't gonna be there.

People who are bummed about the Haden pick need to consider this...

1) Sheldon Brown is 31. He may be good now, but he won't last long before he becomes a nickel, probably next season (with Haden playing nickel this year).

2) You NEED 3 good corners in the NFL, especially with the passing game becoming even more important not only in the NFL itself, but even the division (Baltimore...thank God they didn't get Dez Bryant).

3) Brandon McDonald really is THAT bad from an ability and an attitude perspective.

4) We can get a lot more creative with our blitzes.

Now let's sign Darren Sharper off of the FA scrap heap...

Last edited by Ammo; 04/22/10 11:49 PM.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
For once, the Browns did what I hoped they would do: stay put, don't do anything stupid and pick up an impact player with the top 10 pick we earned.

I agree that Brown will probably begin the season opposite Wright. However, it would not surprise me to see Haden take over for him at some point during the year. We'll see how Joe develops as the year goes on. Regardless, a CB trio of Wright, Brown and Haden looks a WHOLE lot better then Wright, McDonald and Got-Beat.

Welcome to Cleveland Joe! Can't wait to see you out there this Fall.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

For once, the Browns did what I hoped they would do: stay put, don't do anything stupid and pick up an impact player with the top 10 pick we earned.

Man, that says all I needed to hear.

Straightforward, good pick, BPA (and a "need" pick), no "reaching" or gambling on a player...

...kinda feels nice, for a change.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
The transcript of Tom Heckert Jr. and Eric Mangini's Thursday evening press conference.

Browns General Manager Tom Heckert and Head Coach Eric Mangini press conference 4-22-10
Tom Heckert
(On taking Haden seventh overall)- “Well sure, Joe was a guy we spent a lot of time with and a lot of time evaluating. He’s a bigger corner that can really play the run. He’s got good cover ability, he’s a smart kid, he’s tough and he is a guy we liked all along.”
Tom Heckert
(On if Haden’s 40-yard dash times were a concern)– “No. There’s a little story behind that. He was hurt at the combine, he hurt his back, and he said he told everybody that he was going to run so he did. It probably hurt him a little bit, but he ran at his workout and ran fast so we weren’t concerned about it”
Eric Mangini
(On if Sheldon Brown can play safety and how do you envision Brown, Haden and Wright) – “I think that you can never have too many good corners and one of the things that you are seeing throughout the division and a lot of teams that we play, is there are a lot of good receivers. We’re probably going to be in multiple defensive back sets so whether that’s three corners or some combination of that. I have used corners in the past to play safety that have then come down to cover slot receivers so you don’t have to substitute in when you are playing multiple receiver sets so that’s a possibility. I think the one thing that Joe does give us right away is some depth at the position. He is intensely competitive; he is what we call a green sticker guy which means he meets all of the core characteristics. I think he is going to come in here and compete to start and that’s what I would expect from him, and I know in talking to him that’s what he wants to do. He is a big LeBron James fan, so he already has that going for him and we are excited to have him.”
Tom Heckert
(On if it came down to Haden or Kyle Wilson) – “We liked both of them. We liked both of them a lot and we think they are both really good players. We just decided to go with Joe, but we think Kyle is a very good player as well.”
Tom Heckert
(On if there were any thoughts on trading down) – “We really didn’t have any conversations when we talked to people today about it, but when it came down to it, no.”
Tom Heckert
(On if there were any thoughts on trading up to take Eric Berry) – “It’s really the same thing. We talked to teams this morning, or I guess it was this afternoon, but when we were on the clock or when the draft started we really didn’t have many conversations with teams. ”
Tom Heckert
(On if you tried to trade up for Sam Bradford today) – “We talked to them but that’s really about it.”
Tom Heckert
(On if Haden was always on the team’s radar) – “He was always a guy that we were considering that we knew would possibly be there at our seventh pick. To be honest with you today kind of fell how we envisioned it. But yeah, he was always a consideration for us.”
Tom Heckert
(On whom would you have selected if Eric Berry were available at the seventh pick) – “We liked Eric too and obviously that didn’t work out that way. I don’t know what would happen if they were both there.”

Eric Mangini
(On how fast does it take for a cornerback to become an impact player) – “I have seen it go a lot of different ways. A guy like Darrelle Revis started and played right away, but yet some other guys, like Asante Samuel, it took him some time to really establish himself in the position. Ellis Hobbs was kind of the same thing. So some of these young guys that have come in over time, some it just depend on their development, some it depends on what the opportunities are, but I wouldn’t rule it out. What I am excited about again is the competition and I think that one of the things that Tom’s done really well is manage this process. The debate that we’ve had in the draft room has always been very positive with Mike (Holmgren) and the way that he had set the board and talked about it going, really is the way that it went. I have to give Tom a lot of credit for all the work that he has done and all the scouts, the work that they’ve done to get to the point where we are now. It’s been a really good process to see.”
Tom Heckert
(On making an offensive pick ever a possibility) – “We had some guys that were in that same range. We had really all the positions, and it was a good group of guys that we had that were all possibilities depending on who was there. The way that we had it worked out, a few other things probably would have had happened in order for us to go offense.”
Tom Heckert
(On if you think Haden can come in and become a starter as a rookie) – “I think coach (Mangini) kind of answered that. Obviously, everybody we draft we would love to have come in here and start, but that’s not always the case. I think coach (Mangini) mentioned some guys, but when we drafted Lito (Sheppard) and Sheldon (Brown), I think Sheldon got on the field more in a nickel situation and Lito really didn’t play much for us as a rookie. I think, like coach said, it all depends on what happens and how they progress and he has obviously got to prove that he can play or he is not going to be starting. So that will just be over time and we’ll see how that works out.”
Tom Heckert
(On if there was still a debate on Haden or Wilson while you were on the clock) – “No. I think we all said we were going to have most of those discussions were going to be out before we got in today. No. I mean, we’ve had discussions on all kind of different players, but once we got into today it really wasn’t much of a discussion.”
Eric Mangini
(On shifting the secondary around with Sheldon Brown and Joe Haden) - “That wasn’t the though process going into this. What I’m looking for is good, healthy competition with the group and whoever ends up being the best guy is the one that’s going to play. But whoever the third guy is, those guys traditionally play somewhere between 300-500 plays, they usually play a big role on special teams, so these guys play a lot of snaps. It also depends on what we face. There are a lot of excellent receivers in this division and the teams we are playing outside of the division, the same situation. I anticipate those guys playing quite a bit, regardless of how it works out.”
Eric Mangini
(Joe Haden’s ability to cover slot receivers)- “He has worked the slot before. He has done that before. Sheldon has worked the slot, Eric has worked the slot, and some of the possibilities that are open now is to be able to match up based on who you like versus a certain receiver. You always want to have that flexibility. Ideally, all three of those players can play over a slot receiver, so you don’t have to have the match-up pushed on you, you can decide how you want to do it.”
Eric Mangini
(On how Joe Haden compares to Darrelle Revis)- “It might be a good idea for him to call him to see what he is about to go through. I think it’s hard for young guys. Everything changes. There are a lot of things that you have to learn to come in and play well. As I said with Joe he is a Green Sticker guy, which means we anticipate him doing all of those things that we are going to ask him to do and compete like crazy to get on the field and help us right away.”
Tom Heckert
(On drafting another player in the first round)- “We’ve talked about it at length, if there is somebody that falls where we can get him, we would definitely try to get back in there. We’re trying to get good players. If there is somebody that falls far enough that we can get up there without doing anything crazy, we’ll do it.”
Tom Heckert
(On Haden being the best player available with the seventh selection)- “Yes, he really was. We had a bunch of different scenarios where we could take different positions, but we decided to take Joe.”
Tom Heckert
(On Haden’s reaction when he found out he was selected by the Browns)- “He was very, very happy. I don’t know If you guys saw it, I think he had a little tears in his eyes which is always a good thing, when someone is happy. I think he realizes what this means. That’s always a good thing to have them come in feeling that way”
Eric Mangini
(On who the starting safeties are currently)- “It’s a ways away, so I can’t really say that definitively right now. We’ve identified a lot of spots we want to look at and Tom has done an excellent job stacking the board and all the scouts have. Now, it’s going to be a function of who’s available at that spot and how they can help us. I’m excited to see some of the other guys we bring in.”
Tom Heckert
(On Haden compared to the other players available)- “Compared to the other players that were available, we thought he was the best fit for us. It wasn’t a positional thing. We just thought he was the best fit available for us at seven.”
Tom Heckert
(On how the previous six picks turned out)- “To be honest with you, yes. This is how we thought it was going to turn out. How those guys happened in front of us, it was a little flipped over, but we thought this would probably be the way it would end up.”
Tom Heckert
(On when they started to like Haden)- “Throughout the whole process, we took the 40-thing at the combine as a positive. He told people he was going to run even though he was hurt and he ran away. It may have hurt him a little bit, but he ran fast at the Pro Day and it was no big deal. We had Jerome (Henderson) went personally and worked him out. The whole process, we interviewed him at the combine. We were just impressed with the kid.”
Eric Mangini
“He did a great job too, Marla (Ridenour), the day that he visited. You could feel the intensity, you could feel the passion. It was easy in talking to him to see what a smart guy he was, how much he cared about playing football, and continuing to improve on the already good body of work that he has. It was real. I don’t think there was anybody who met him that didn’t feel that way. When he was there and we had to make a decision it was a pretty easy decision.”
Eric Mangini
(On Haden’s media attention prior to the NFL Draft compared to other top-tier picks)- “I think that happens a lot throughout the draft process where some really good football players that are talked about early. Everybody can tell that they are good football players. They are talked about early and then some other players pop up whether it’s there combine workout, or whatever the case may be, and they shoot up in different areas. As you circle back and do all the work, the good players are still the good players.”
Eric Mangini
(On what entails being a ‘Green Sticker’ player)- “I know you have heard it 10,000 times, but it’s smart, tough, hard working, competitive, somebody who’s selfless and somebody that football means something to. If they have all of those things which our scout’s grade, they get the green sticker.”
Tom Heckert
(On if Haden tried to sell Tim Tebow to them)- “For me it was the other way around. We had them both in here and we asked Tim, who would you take on your team, and he pointed to Joe and said by far, this guy I would take with me wherever I go.”
Tom Heckert
(On Earl Thomas)- “He is a really good player and we all liked him and he was in the discussion.”
Tom Heckert
(On considering taking a defensive lineman)- “There were a lot of players we liked, obviously there are guy that everyone talks about. We decided Joe was the pick for us.”
Tom Heckert
(On Haden’s 40-yard dash time at his pro day)- “I’m not telling you that. That’s competitive advantage. Slow, 4.8 (joking). He’s fast. That’s good enough.”

[url= http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/...e-fe6b02530e91]web page[/url]

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
I have no problem taking the best player available.

Wright and Haden could potentially be one of the best CB tandems in the NFL.

All Pro
All Pro
Nice pick. Haden is solid.

I don't see any need to trade up, there is going to be a very, very good prospect there with the next pick.

Insane that Clausen is still there, I don't think he'll last to 38. Vikes should take QB, and somebody else will trade up. Bucs want to trade down pretty bad.

Something is telling me it's going to be Mays. There's a ton of talent still out there.

Thought Seattle had the most impressive draft so far. Detroit got a great deal with that trade. If I was the Vikes I wouldn't have taken it. Didn't really get to see the program much as I was working, don't know what all the trades were.

One thing standing out to me now is that a guy I had mocked in the 5th is graded way higher by NFL.com. Emmanuel Sanders, So. Methodist, WR, they have graded just below Golden Tate. Thats a huge difference from cbssports.com.

I guess he might not last to where I mocked him, like Alualu.

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.

John Barrymore
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't mind the pick, although I wanted Berry. But, with the exception of Thomas, every time we got the guy that I wanted, he flamed out. So maybe not getting "my guy" is best.

I agree that we really don't have to move up to get a solid guy who could help us. I'm not a big fan of Mays, he just doesn't seem to make enough plays given his talent level. Wasn't there another safety folks on here were really high on? Nate Allen or something?

I wouldn't hate getting McCoy, but my feeling is getting the rest of the team together and then plug in the qb next year. Although if a qb is still sitting there it may be to tempting to pass up. Personally I'd go safety, WR, or OL.

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I don't mind the pick, although I wanted Berry.

you and me both. I consider him an athlete.

I say stay put and go get another, no qb's this year, just athletes

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
T
Legend
Legend
T
I'm unhappy it is not an offensive pick, I've seen them pass on offense again on a 1st round pick. Obviously this pick isn't going to lead any 4th quarter comebacks. This probably will mean they will cut Brandon Mcdonald even though they should keep both Coye Francies and Brandon Mcdonald, it is like trading in a New car for a New car, both are original Browns draft picks. McDonald is not that bad.

The Browns have decided to Wait to address the offense, in the first round, like many other times the Browns have decided to wait to address the offense.
Business as usual would say the team won't be able to re sign the player at the end of 4 years.

Are they going to be able to sell this to the fans as, Who are you going to belevie in? Can you believe this player will translate into more wins for 2010, as for me NO, I can't beleive that.

Until the offense can line up with someone I believe will score points then I think the team will lose 11 games.

If I were the Steelers or the Ravens I would love this pick by the Cleveland Browns, because I watch the Steelers or Ravnes beat the Browns when the Browns offense is on the field, and I see it every year.

Honestly Joe Haden may have been the best player available, and he may be a very fine draft pick that will lead to more success for the Browns.

The Bottom line is, until there is an upgrade or investment at Wide Receiver, at Quarterback, at RunningBack, then what do you hope to see?
What do you hope to see at Kickoff?
What can you expect to watch except the team that lost 9 in a row, I'd expect 11 losses again.

Is Josh Cribbs going to have 30 kickoff returns for touchdowns? Are Harrison and Davis going to combine for 1500 yds rushing? Is MoMass going to catch 200 passes?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't dislike the pick just the position of the pick. I feel Haden could have been taken later. I also know we need DB's.... But at number seven there were OT's, DE's and RB's that had what I would consider "more long term value".

Haden should be solid, BUT solid when is the question.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

4) We can get a lot more creative with our blitzes.

Yes. He's a bump and run corner not shy about run support. Coach Ryan is sleeping better tonight.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I agree.....would have preferred Thomas but Haden would have been my next choice.

Same here. After I saw Berry go I wanted Thomas, but I can't complain about Haden. He is solid.

Our honor defend, we will fight to the end, for OHIO! GO BUCKS!
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
What were we supposed to do when nobody wanted to trade with us? Just let the clock run out and let people slide in front of us? He was the BPA at the time and we took him, don't see how anyone can complain about this pick as it killed 2 birds with one stone (BPA and need).

"All I know is, as long as I led the Southeastern Conference in scoring, my grades would be fine." - Charles Barkley
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
You keep droning on and on about offense this and offense that when its been proven to you several times by several different people that pretty much all we've done is draft offense in the first round. Where has Winslow, Edwards, Quinn, Green, Faine, Thomas, Mack, etc got us? Thomas and Mack are keepers but thats 7 offensive players in the first round with 5 busts and you are complaining we never draft offense? Are you dense?

"All I know is, as long as I led the Southeastern Conference in scoring, my grades would be fine." - Charles Barkley
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

I agree that we really don't have to move up to get a solid guy who could help us. I'm not a big fan of Mays, he just doesn't seem to make enough plays given his talent level. Wasn't there another safety folks on here were really high on? Nate Allen or something?

Yes a bunch of us have been big on Nate Allen (Not me, I like Chad Jones better). Thing is, Mays has such absurd upside he is rated higher by a lot of people than guys that actually played the position better in college. He is going to be good against the run. Nobody knows if he can learn to cover, make plays on the ball, take better angles or wrap up on tackles. The guy is a ridiculous athlete. If he was drafted on physical ability alone he would easily be a top 5 pick.

He's the ultimate that I've ever seen as far as boom/bust guys. Definitely worth our 2nd.

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.

John Barrymore
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Well while I have to admit that I haven't followed this off season & players coming out in this Draft as I have in the past....IMHO Haden probably will turn out to be a Decent to Good player....While , and as Browns Fans we have ALL heard & said this at one time or another , I think we Finally have the right group in charge in Lerner , Holmgren ,Hekert and Mangini....I believe given time they will get it right !....Going back to Haden , I've heard that he is slow & from what I can see short 5'11 & light at 193 pounds , and yet Strangely I have Faith that our Front Office will get right....

The Mammal
B
Legend
Legend
B
Good solid pick.

Haden should solidify a corner spot for a good long time.

Corner is one of those 1st round selections people don't get all warm and fuzzy over when the selection is made, but you get all warm and fuzzy when the guy starts batting down passes on Sunday afternoons....think Hanford Dixson or Clarence Scott.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I was kind of irked listening to the talking heads say the pick was a "surprise." For months there have been several mocks with us taking Haden. He was, by far, the consesus pick among the mocks.

He was the highest rated CB in the draft, a position of need, and not a reach at #7. The only way taking Haden would have been a surprise would have been if Berry was still on the board.

If Kiper and Co are surprised, was it because we passed on Clausen? Like 31 other teams did?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
just clicking...what is not to like about the Browns picking Haden?...

...they took the top rated CB to fill a position of need. They did not reach and Haden should be a starter who helps to make our defense better.

By picking Haden and adding Sheldon Brown...hopefully I will no longer be able to predict what play our opponents are going to run on a 3rd and 7...unless McDonald is in as the nickel.

Also, Hayden has an experienced veteran in Sheldon Brown, to help mentor him.

I would not be surprised if the Browns continue to upgrade the defensive backfield in the upcoming rounds.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Y
2nd String
2nd String
Y
Quote:

I've heard that he is slow & from what I can see short 5'11 & light at 193 pounds

Probably got that rep from people that didn't bother watching his play and just saw his 40 time from the combine. I don't think there's going to be any problem with his speed. His back was injured at the combine and he ran anyway (good indication of his character) and besides, both Heckert and Mangini have commented that his game speed was never in question.

I didn't know much about him, but I love what I read about his character. Sounds like him and Tebow had a great relationship due to their similar leadership and work ethics, just on different sides of the ball. Mangini selected Revis in the first round and he turned out great, so I'm hoping we get the same out of Haden.

Only thing with CBs is that they don't come into the league and start tearing it up immediately. We'll have to temper our expectations (yeah, like that will happen on this board) and give him a time to grow into his role.

Legend
Legend
at 193 lbs.. for a corner.. is not light.. Safeties typically are 200+ (ie Berry 208, Thomas 205)... He is just fine. Bigger than Eric Wright for sure.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't hate it but I am not in love with it. It depends on how he pans out. If he becomes an NFL shutdown corner, it'll be a great pick.

Now that's taking a firm stand.

yebat' Putin
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Browns 1st Round Pick: Joe Haden

Link Copied to Clipboard