Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend
Those ears help him fly

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Those ears help him fly

well if that's what makes him such a good player then get him some more!

Legend
Legend
Rex Ryan hints that Rob Ryan wanted Kyle Wilson in Cleveland
Posted by Mike Florio on May 1, 2010 5:37 PM ET
When the Browns were on the clock with the seventh pick in the first round of the 2010 NFL Draft, the Browns reportedly were debating whether the selection should be used on cornerback Joe Haden or cornerback Kyle Wilson.

The Browns opted for Haden. Wilson slid 22 more spots, landing with the Jets at the 29th position.

On Saturday, Jets coach Rex Ryan talked about Wilson. And Rex possibly put his twin brother, Rob, in a tough spot by strongly hinting that the Browns defensive coordinator wanted Wilson, not Haden.

"There is somebody that I really know well for a long time that basically said that he was their guy and they picked a lot earlier than us," Rex Ryan said. "You can probably figure it out. That's who he wanted and then after practice, I'm like 'Yep. I guarantee you were right because this guy is the real deal.'"

So good luck, Rob Ryan, as you attempt to make the appropriate bond with Joe Haden, the guy you didn't want.

Meanwhile, Wilson's agents now have some ammunition to lobby for a much bigger contract, given that Rex Ryan apparently regards Kyle Wilson as having talent reflecting a draft position much higher than his slot.
web page

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Whatever. Just more of Rex's bluster.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
L
Legend
Legend
L
I wonder if Rex is really that wise... he may have gotten his brother in a bit of trouble. If I were Mangini, I'd be telling Rob to keep stuff to himself and not share all with his bro.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I wonder if Rex is really that wise... he may have gotten his brother in a bit of trouble. If I were Mangini, I'd be telling Rob to keep stuff to himself and not share all with his bro.

My Personal Opinion, Rex is stroking his picks ego.. Trying to make him feel good, building up his self worth.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Haden is the better corner. And who cares... Ryan is not the head coach or GM here.. He doesn't make those decisions..

Shewd.. I wanted Perrish Cox..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

My Personal Opinion, Rex is stroking his picks ego.. Trying to make him feel good, building up his self worth.

That's my take as well. This time of year is rife with coaches & GM's spouting "Yep, we got our guy! Everyone that passed on this one is gonna regret it!".

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Rex is starting to grate on me. He's just like his dad, arrogant and obnoxious. For some reason the media loves him, probably because the bold statements make for good print and selling articles.

Haden is the better player.

I'd like to see the jets fall apart this year.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

For some reason the media loves him, probably because the bold statements make for good print and selling articles.

Or it could be that he had a winning record in his first year and the jets went deep into the playoffs... Just saying

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
The media was on his jock far before their playoff run, Switzerland.

It's entertaining. I hate to say it but with him operating the defense and the pieces on offense coming together, they're dangerous. It all depends on Sanchez.

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Two things,,, 1. They were on his jock because he was the new shiny toy,,, and 2. What's this about Switerland?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
He's calling you Mr. Neutral.

Rex Ryan may be a great coach. The Jets may be the team to beat this year.

But, I think the media was all over him because, not only was the team performing well, but he was good cover. He made great quotes and always had good sound bytes. Also, he's in NY, which helps.

I think his little quote here about Wilson vs. Haden is a minor blip on the screen, especially because it was well reported that a lot of people in the Browns organization liked Wilson over Haden. That's not a surprise at all, just like it wasn't a surprise that Haden was the eventual pick.

Heck, for all we know, our interest in Wilson was just a smoke screen so people wouldn't think we liked Haden, or would want to trade with us to take Wilson and Haden was always our no. 1 on our board the entire time.

And, like someone else said, this should be taken with a grain of salt because Ryan is just playing up his guy, which is fine. I mean, what do you expect him to say? "We picked him low in the 1st round, and we're not sure he's worth it"?

JMHO

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Or, they could have been a one hit wonder that will fall flat on their faces this year and Sanchez could have been playing over his head. I think letting Thomas Jones go will come back to haunt them and this year you may very well be hearing Ryan's rants instead of seeing that big grin on his face and bold predictions.

Time will tell.

jmho

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Or, they could have been a one hit wonder that will fall flat on their faces this year and Sanchez could have been playing over his head. I think letting Thomas Jones go will come back to haunt them and this year you may very well be hearing Ryan's rants instead of seeing that big grin on his face and bold predictions.

Time will tell.

jmho

while I have my reservations about the Jets prospects, 2 things I believe conflict with that assessment:

1. Shonn Greene sure seems like the real deal and they returned 4/5 OL from last year's NFL leading rushing offense.

2. Sanchez didn't play all that well until the playoffs. It could very well be he played over his head there, but during the regular season he wasn't all that special (and as a result, even with the NFL leading rushing offense and NFL #1 defense, the Jets still needed help the last 2 weeks to squeeze into the last playoff spot).

personally, i think that 2 things could derail the Jets season:

1. OC's figure out how to take advantage of their gambling defense.
2. If they hit any amount of adversity off the field, they have a loose locker room and a bunch of "characters" where things could crumble quickly.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

He's calling you Mr. Neutral.

That doesn't make any sense at all... wonder why he feels the need to do that... wierd man...

Quote:

But, I think the media was all over him because, not only was the team performing well, but he was good cover. He made great quotes and always had good sound bytes. Also, he's in NY, which helps.

Yup that's also true I bet... makes sense... Hey,, was that too neutral of comment

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

It's entertaining. I hate to say it but with him operating the defense and the pieces on offense coming together, they're dangerous. It all depends on Sanchez.

"SWITZERLAND!!!!

Sorry, D, but that's funny! I think Josh has just put a fitting nickname on ya.

Might as well change your name now, hehe.

Ryan...............Yeah, the media loves him because he gives them ammunition to do their job. He's the antithesis of Bellyache, who the media hate because he gives them jack-crap.

But here's the problem.

Like all coaches in today's world in any sport, if you allow yourself to fire from the hip, while the media will love you for it, they'll be the first one's to blast you when things go poorly, and the fans and team will offer you the shortest grace-period and slack. It's always just a matter of time before a guy like Ryan says something he can't get back or explain away.

Yeah, the Jets look great on paper and have gone all-in to win the Super Bowl. For a team in their position, now is the right time to make such a move. Still, if they don't do well, and I mean VERY well, Ryan will feel all kinds of heat, not just because they didn't get as far as they should have, but because his mouth has put a bullseye on his plus-sized ass.

You can also bet his brother and Joe Haden are REALLY looking forward to their shot at him on the field, and considering how open Ryan's mouth is, our guys won't be the last one's who are given bulletin-board material.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Or, they could have been a one hit wonder that will fall flat on their faces this year and Sanchez could have been playing over his head.

The flop factor is only aided by the two guys they have at WR.. Holmes is scheduled to miss time,, not sure how much off the top of my head and it doesn't matter if Edwards is in the lineup or not,, he'll catch a good deal of passes, but he'll drop a bunch also..

IF they can overcome that,, they may not flop.. But one thing for sure,, if you wanna see Ryan get his head handed to him,, if that team falters, he'll get the same treatment from the fans that Mangini did..... and it won't be pretty.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
L
Legend
Legend
L
Quote:

Still, if they don't do well, and I mean VERY well, Ryan will feel all kinds of heat, not just because they didn't get as far as they should have, but because his mouth has put a bullseye on his plus-sized ass.

Darn right and, good call on the media thing too. They build 'em up and tear 'em down.

And your post made me think of something else: we play the Jets at home this year and I can't wait to see what Haden and TJ Ward have in store for AlligatorBray when he comes over the middle.... if he comes over the middle.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Nothing would please me more than to see Leon picking up white pieces of his million-dollar smile after TJ lays him out.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
Quote:

They build 'em up and tear 'em down.

LOL I think the correct wording is:

They Build them up TO tear them down...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
All Pro
All Pro
Didn't Rex make the playoffs, get crowned Football god of NYC, and receive a key to the city achieving the same record as Mangini the year before?

He's highly overrated. Rex is taking the exact opposite approach than Mangini, doesn't care about off-field accountability, discipline, or character. Player's coach. Talks all kinds of trash and makes big splashes for the writers.

I'm really looking forward to seeing a better philosophy get validated on the field in Cleveland.

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.

John Barrymore
Legend
Legend
He can thank the Colts for his New York City "throne".

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
All Pro
All Pro
Yea, the Colts did them a pretty big favor. Can't say they didn't belong since they won once they got there. I don't believe that success will last very long.

It probably sounds weird that I like Rob as DC here, and don't like Rex's attitude there, since they are similar.

But I think that a fiery, player's buddy kind of attitude is way better as an assistant. The discipline and accountability is already in place so he can rah-rah those guys and keep them enthused within the system.

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.

John Barrymore
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
And Mangini. This Jets was created by Mangini. Mangini and Tannebaum found the talent together. Mangini instilled the discipline and taught them how to be pro's and play the game. Throw in a Brett Favre arm injury and Rex reaps the benefits. Each year that instilled discipline erodes away a little. Let's see how they do in 2-3 years. No discipline on a team full of punks. Good Luck with that.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Didn't Rex make the playoffs, get crowned Football god of NYC, and receive a key to the city achieving the same record as Mangini the year before?

I believe you are thinking of Manginis first year in NYC,.,. they were I think 10-6.. he was crowned Mangenius or something,, even appeared on the HBO show, the Sopranos I believe. Was king of the city and was touted by the press to be the great.

Anyway,, the following year, the team took a dive.. Injuries did them in if I remember correctly and then came the Favre year..

And he got beat mercilessly by the press his last two years there..

Like I said, they Build you up TO tear you down.....

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Y
2nd String
2nd String
Y
Quote:

Each year that instilled discipline erodes away a little.

This is what I think will happen as well. Should be interesting to see how it plays out. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see them regress this year as the hunger to prove themselves and 'get respect' won't be there anymore.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
that, and the jets have about 20 free agents next year. Can't sign all of those guys. To me, their window is now with a young Sanchez. Then they will need to regroup for a few years to challenge again. I'd just like to see their wheels come off this year.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

And Mangini. This Jets was created by Mangini. Mangini and Tannebaum found the talent together. Mangini instilled the discipline and taught them how to be pro's and play the game. Throw in a Brett Favre arm injury and Rex reaps the benefits. Each year that instilled discipline erodes away a little. Let's see how they do in 2-3 years. No discipline on a team full of punks. Good Luck with that.

Exactly. And Rex and the Jets make signings for PR purposes. It's all "rah rah" BS.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Nothing would please me more than to see Leon picking up white pieces of his million-dollar smile after TJ lays him out.

I thought Washinton was traded to the Seahawks?

Personally I would love to see TJ Ward knox out Hines Wards. I hate what he has done in the past to our DB......with that ear to ear smile after the hit.
I hope he also breaks some of his (hers) manicured finger nails.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Assuming you aren't joking, when he said Leon, he meant Braylon Edwards.

He has an uncanny resemblance to Leon from the commercials a few years ago.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He wasn't but I agree with him about Hines Ward...dude is always physical with our DB's because he knows they're soft and won't...I say ..won't hit hard..
Now I hope that stops..

Legend
Legend
I would have absolutely no problem with wiping the perma-smile off Ward's face.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Back in the day..a defensive player didn't like being shown up like that..we were always chippy..someone smiled like that we'd erase that next time he came in our vicinity..

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Hines Ward never hit a guy who was looking at him. He tries to make a lot of guys look "soft" that way. Wuss.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He also does some of his best hits after the whistle.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Hines Ward loves to lay people out a second or two after the whistle and when they are running and looking the other way... then if you touch him his perma-smile turns into perma-smirk and he crys because somebody touched him.

yebat' Putin
All Pro
All Pro
No matter what the facts are, New York has to be the biggest and best at everything. There's no way they'd ever admit that a bunch of rubes in Cleveland got a better corner in the draft. It just doesn't work that way. Look at how much greater Edwards is now that he's a Jet. The transformation was magical, as long as the statistics don't come in to play. Big city, bright lights, they just have to be better.

I never met a New Yorker who didn't think that way.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Look at how much greater Edwards is now that he's a Jet. The transformation was magical, as long as the statistics don't come in to play. Big city, bright lights, they just have to be better.

can you blame them, it was magical:

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Nothing says "Leon" quite like that play!

#GMSTRONG
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Browns 1st Round Pick: Joe Haden

Link Copied to Clipboard