Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I havent said much, but my opinion was that we needed an outfielder and we got one. I'm pleased. Okay.. having said that, my focus was always on the second day. We have 4 picks guys. We SHOULD be able to get some value.

At this point I want in order, McCoy and the best available OG / OT. We absolutely have to fix the right side of this line.. do not even begin to prattle at me about Pashos phftt... yack.. that just depth stuff.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would love to get Cirion Black LSU or Kyle Calloway Iowa in the 3rd. Combine that with Torrell Troup DT Central Florida And Morgan Burnette S GT and I'll be a pretty happy camper no matter who we choose in the 2nd.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

This isn't your gradfathers AFC Central, it's not as simple as running and stopping the run.

glad you didn't put father's because in the 80's, the AFC Central was all about passing as well.

Browns - Sipe and Kosar led passing dominant attacks.
Bengals - Boomer was a better passer than anything they did on the ground.
Oilers - they might have liked to pass the ball
Steelers - they were poor at both and didn't compete, oh sweet days.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
they just posted joe haden press conference

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

My Grade B-
Could have traded down and still got him. imho

Maybe, but to drop 4 or 5 spots for a 7th rounder wouldn't be a good gamble for a guy that was the unanimous best corner in the draft.

Gotta have trade partners to make a trade and we have no idea if anyone was willing to move up.

I'm fine with the pick. He's the best player at his position which represents one of our biggest needs.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He gets beat on pump fakes.

That's funny. The scouting report states the EXACT opposite.

But what OldSkool said was a "FACT!"

Read the Sporting News (which I trust more than almost all) report on him.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You're simply not able to see the forest for the trees.

You need a nucleus of veterans who understand and be able to execute your system. They will help when you start bringing in rookies and be there to help mold the remaining youth you have left.

The cheaper the better to get those guys. We've seen what some others have done here overpaying for "past prime time players" in the FA market and most of us simply couldn't BELIEVE some of the prices they were paying for temporary band-aids.

Now, we have people who are doing it right and you're crying bloody murder?

Maybe you're just so used to seeing it done the wrong way, that you're unwilling to imagine or believe this is the right way. But hopefully you'll relax just enough to watch it, take notes on it and learn from it.

Or..........................................maybe not.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
just watched Haden's presser.

Seems like a pretty good guy. I think he is gonna bring some noise to our defense.

Good to see that Eric Wright immediately reached out to him via text, and also a few other Browns did as well.

LET GET THIS DYNASTY GOING!!!!! GO BROWNS!!

123 Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
great presser, really good personality like the guy a lot. Welcome to Cleveland Haden!

oioioioi
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Read the Sporting News (which I trust more than almost all) report on him.

When you use one source and use that as your guide, you're not looking big picture.

You need to actually watch a kid, look at everything then look at multiple reports to see if your eyes matched up with "many others".

Putting all your eggs in one basket will get you in this situation every time. Did you notice how many other teams who NEEDED CB help passed on those other CB's?

How many picks was it before the second CB was taken?

There's a reason for that and you won't find it in Sporting News.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
He's most certainly the highest rated CB in this draft by a WIDE magin IMO. Good kid, great talent!

I wasn't sure if they had Haden or Thomas rated higher. They let me know and I'm happy with the pick!

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I can't help but to point out the difference between your post and your sig.

I have absolutely 0 evidence to back this up, but I have a feeling we tried to trade but couldn't find any decent takers. Once Berry went off the board, we were in a pickle.

I would've liked us to take a safety in order to address a more critical need, but since we couldn't/didn't trade back, I like the Haden pick. He is considered the better player/value.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
By the looks of the presser he's pretty darn excited and ready to roll!

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Hehe...........Well, because they limit how many characters can be used in your sig, and because many of the characters are spoken for in order to give everyone headaches by looking at the Toad, I had precious-few characters left for a message. Had I the space to put the full idea in print, it would have gone something like.........

"If we can't get Bradford as the QB of this team, I want NO QB taken in the 2010 draft. Damnit, Holmgren, make the trade happen you four-eyed Walrus!!"

Yeah, I doubt we could have picked up the best corner in the draft outside of the top-12 or so.

Haden may pan out or he may not, but I'm good with the value of the selection.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
O
Legend
Legend
O
In case you need any encouragement, hypno-toad is worth it.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
'Bout time someone appreciated the Hypno-Toad!

T
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
T
I love this pick but I do think we could have traded down a few spots and Joe Haden would have still been on the board. However, once Eric Berry was drafted at #5, I believe the teams that would have wanted to move up in the draft decided not to. It would have been hard to trade down from #7 and I heard that Holmgren and Heckert were trying to do that.

The Ravens added Boldin and the Bengals added Bryant so drafting Haden was logical. Joe Haden started every game for the Gators since his sophomore year in a very tough and physical SEC conference. He has a lot of experience at CB and I hope he will be as good as Revis. But please Joe, leave the Gator arm chomp at UF.

Rookie
Rookie
"The Bottom line is, until there is an upgrade or investment at Wide Receiver, at Quarterback, at RunningBack, then what do you hope to see?
What do you hope to see at Kickoff?
What can you expect to watch except the team that lost 9 in a row, I'd expect 11 losses again."

there is more to the offense then QB RB or WR. we have been addressing the offense.Thomas and Mack were both 1st round picks.
the others arent going to matter no matter how good they are if the line isnt good enough to open holes for the RB or protect the QB to get a pass off..
Hayden was a great pick.
there are still plenty of good players left to get a good RT or RG. with a better offensive line, our WRs, QB and RBs will look better and have time for plays to develop and succeed for more yards.
IMHO

Legend
Legend
I too would have liked another first round OLman to go along with Thomas and Mack, but this Haden pick -- on paper -- appears extremely solid. A great player, playmaker, and at a serious upgrade need. Should really help the defense overall, not just at the corner. Seems like a quality individual too, not some Joe-Bag-O-Doughnuts like PacMan.

Haden will be a great fit, but I would not have been torked to have taken Iupati, Williams, Baluga, or any of the other good ones that were there.

O
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
O
Quote:

I would have taken Thomas too.

I think that Haden is a talented kid though. I just hope that we find an enforcer for the Safety position later in the draft.

I would have taken Thomas too. I think he would have been a much better pick, because he plays both saftey slots plus, he has played CB also. So that's 3 spots he can be used at instead of just one. Another plus is he can move up and play in the box is much better at blitzing the QB and was rated slightly higher than Haden @8.7. I think the Browns missed the boat on this one and many more in the draft.

Once Berry was off the board, I wouldn't have hesitated if we couldn't trade down, I would have pulled the trigger on Thomas. We needed a safety much more than a CB, Brown is a better than average CB and may not even be able to play safety, so why risk it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Another plus is he can move up and play in the box is much better at blitzing the QB and was rated slightly higher than Haden @8.7.

Who makes up these ratings?

If they were so on point, wouldn't they be working for an NFL team..............

I know it's from NFL.com (from the rating system). But just saying, these guys are journalists, not professional scouts.........

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
L
Legend
Legend
L
To each their own 42, but Haden is a great pick in the opinion of many.
When you get a chance for THE best player in the draft at his position (when the position is a key one and when it's a need), it's hard to argue against it. For me at least.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
O
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
O
Quote:

To each their own 42, but Haden is a great pick in the opinion of many.
When you get a chance for THE best player in the draft at his position (when the position is a key one and when it's a need), it's hard to argue against it. For me at least.

But, we got the chance for a player of BIGGER need than CB, where we have 2 above average starters. The even bigger plus is, that besides being tied for the #1 spot at safety at 8.6 the same as Berry. Thomas plays both FS/SS may be better in coverage and can also play CB and has played the position before, so he's MORE versatile. Something that Mangini like BB in NE is supposed to love. I'm not saying that Haden is a bad pick, it's just not the BEST overall, for what we NEED now.

I can see Thomas being the defensive rookie of the year over Berry.

Last edited by OldDawg42; 04/26/10 01:19 AM.
O
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
O
Quote:

Quote:

Another plus is he can move up and play in the box is much better at blitzing the QB and was rated slightly higher than Haden @8.7.

Who makes up these ratings?

If they were so on point, wouldn't they be working for an NFL team..............

I know it's from NFL.com (from the rating system). But just saying, these guys are journalists, not professional scouts.........

That's not quite right, some or more than you think, have been involed much more than just being journalist. Did you know that Kirwan is not only a writer, but a former scout, coach and GM for a few years and has actually been in the war room making the decisions ( for the Jets ) I believe. Don't have time to check them all out, but I'm sure there are quite a few more, that have worked for teams or the NFL itself.

Legend
Legend
Hey Olddawg,, these ratings you speak of,, I'm unfamiliar with where they come from,, can you point me to them please..

Thanks in advance

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Hey Olddawg,, these ratings you speak of,, I'm unfamiliar with where they come from,, can you point me to them please..

Thanks in advance

The webiste that posts these ratings had a rating of 1.8. Terrible value for rating picks in the first 5 rounds.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Thanks in advance

NFL.com he got them off of. Even still OldDawg42, Kirwan doesn't do the job full-time the same way that scouts who do it year round do now.

And remember, he's just one guy. While I'm pretty sure the ratings of NFL.com are made up of multiple guys, not all of them are scouts. The Browns draft board is made up of scouts opinions and then Heckert's.

Look at Heckert's draft record, he's a GM, and he has been for awhile for a successful football team, the Philadelphia Eagles.

We do disagree on our needs (as I believe safety will always be easier, and cheaper, to satisfy than 1 Corner) though. I'm looking long-term and believe that no matter what to get a top-notch corner we'll need to draft one in the 1st round. This satisfies a major need for us.

I really liked Joe Haden before this draft, and I only wanted Eric Berry ahead of him (who looks to be a phenomenal player). I know less about Earl Thomas, so I don't like to say that he isn't going to be a very good player. But I have a lot of confidence in Haden.

We now have a guy who can cover opposing team's best receivers, something Sheldon Brown generally didn't do (Phili had a good Lito Sheppard before injuries, and then came on with a very good Asante Samuel (one of the few good corners able to come out of later rounds, who had to develop into the player he is)).

But safety was definitely a need for our team. I'm just saying, have a little faith in Heckert and some faith in TJ Ward. He still has a job as GM, and he has always been very highly regarded. In fact we tried to get him last-year. It's what he does full-time. Kirwan works for NFL.com

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
But, we got the chance for a player of BIGGER need than CB, where we have 2 above average starters. The even bigger plus is, that besides being tied for the #1 spot at safety at 8.6 the same as Berry. Thomas plays both FS/SS may be better in coverage and can also play CB and has played the position before, so he's MORE versatile. Something that Mangini like BB in NE is supposed to love. I'm not saying that Haden is a bad pick, it's just not the BEST overall, for what we NEED now.

Let me point out something because I know the corner position as well as anyone..Thomas would have been a nice pick but the corners left on the board after that dropped off significantly..there's the problem plus coupled with the fact that Haden had not dropped off the board ..
Heckert said something that showed how they had these guys ranked..he said if Berry/Haden had both been there they would have had a tuff decision..so in my mind after Berry went, they went with the next guy..Haden..

Legend
Legend
even after getting Joe Haden.. I still had this slight infatuation (no homo) with Perrish Cox.. I think he will do well in the league.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

even after getting Joe Haden.. I still had this slight infatuation (no homo) with Perrish Cox.. I think he will do well in the league.

so you're infatuated with Cox... Why would that need a disclaimer?

All Pro
All Pro
I would have liked to have drafted another CB as well.

I'm over it. Moving on, I think the DB corps is much improved. So much so it could be a strength. Provided these guys do what they are advertised to do.

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.

John Barrymore
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

so you're infatuated with Cox... Why would that need a disclaimer?

Have you met the other posters on this message board?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Heckert said something that showed how they had these guys ranked..he said if Berry/Haden had both been there they would have had a tuff decision..so in my mind after Berry went, they went with the next guy..Haden..

Which is why we didn't try to trade up to get Berry.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=An...andlosers042410

• Boise State cornerback Kyle Wilson(notes)
The Cleveland Browns and head coach Eric Mangini loved him, so much so that word leaked out before the draft that Wilson could come off the board with the team’s seventh overall pick. But an internal split formed between Wilson and Florida cornerback Joe Haden(notes). Team president Mike Holmgren thought Haden’s level of competition in the Southeastern Conference gave him the edge, so he broke the tie in Haden’s favor. In turn, Wilson trickled all the way down to the New York Jets at 29th overall. There’s a $15 million difference in guaranteed money between those two spots. Ouch.

________________________________________________________-

What makes this interesting in my opinion is that the article states that Mangini loved Wilson...i wonder if this will hurt Haden in playing time as he may be behind the 8-ball from the start?

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
N
Legend
Legend
N
i doubt it. mangini needs to win, and i think he knows playing the best players is how you win.

and i'm glad heckert won that battle. i much prefer Haden to Wilson.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P

All-righty then!

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

What makes this interesting in my opinion is that the article states that Mangini loved Wilson...i wonder if this will hurt Haden in playing time as he may be behind the 8-ball from the start?

If Mangini is that petty then he needs to be the next one shown the door.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

wouldn't surprise me a bit. We saw it last year with robiskie, Corey Williams, the ghost, Alex hall, coye francies... And those are just the ones visible from the outside.

That being said, he doesn't like mcdonald much either, so there's nobody else to put in front of him. Unless we sign any former jet qbs.

Legend
Legend
Uh, weren't Robo and Francies Mangini's draft picks?

*Edit* One thing I will say that makes this a little intriguing for me is that Holmgren has repeatedly said he would never give Mangini a player he didn't want.

And, according to this article and others, he did that with Haden and with Colt McCoy.

I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon saying we're doomed, but I just find it interesting.

JMHObservation

Last edited by brownsfansince79; 04/27/10 01:48 PM.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Uh, weren't Robo and Francies Mangini's draft picks?

*Edit* One thing I will say that makes this a little intriguing for me is that Holmgren has repeatedly said he would never give Mangini a player he didn't want.

And, according to this article and others, he did that with Haden and with Colt McCoy.

I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon saying we're doomed, but I just find it interesting.

JMHObservation

Point to me, in any article, that said Mangini did not want either Haden and McCoy.

This Haden thing is going to be taken out of context because some want to make a mountain out of a mole hill. The reality is that Mangini preferred Wilson over Haden and Heckert and Holmgren preferred Haden over Wilson. That does NOT mean that Mangini did not want Haden, just that he fell in love with Wilson.

Either way, to speculate that Mangini would not give Haden playing time because he preferred Wilson makes no sense.

you had a good run Hank.
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Browns 1st Round Pick: Joe Haden

Link Copied to Clipboard