All Pro
All Pro
D
We gotta get this guy.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
When I see plays like that it makes me wonder what Sanchez would have done stat wise with a half way decent WR.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

When I see plays like that it makes me wonder what Sanchez would have done stat wise with a half way decent WR.

Don't take offense to this but that's the kinda comment that makes me wonder why guys like Anderson had so many detractors during Edwards stay in Cleveland..

Granted, DA did himself in, but he didn't have much help from Edwards...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
DA was incable of throwing the ball that accurately. He also would have chosen to go unerneath into triple coverage then look dumbfounded when it was intercepted.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Legend
Legend
LIke I said, DA did himself in.. But Edwards droppsies didn't help him or Quinn for that matter..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
He had so many detractors because it is quite easy to see what he is - indisputably terrible.

His HALF of one good season (he was not good for all of 2007 - only that first half of it) was due in LARGE part to the likes of Winslow & Edwards & Jurevicious constantly bailing him out.

Do you not remember the one ball thrown to JJ that hit the ground 7 yards in front of him and just slowly rolled up to JJ's feet as JJ stood there with his hands on his hips looking back?
Do you not remember all of the overthrows, 150mph balls to a RB 4 yds away, the uncountable number of balls into the dirt and all of the throwing into double, triple and even quadruple coverage?

Anderson had lots of detractors because he was bad. It took an entire receiving corps to constantly bail him out... and while Winslow & Edwards tended to have the more spectacular ones, it was JJ that did it most regularly. Once JJ was gone, the number of stalled drives due to poor QB play increased dramatically.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He had so many detractors because it is quite easy to see what he is - indisputably terrible.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Lets not forget last season where DA played some of the worst QBing I have ever see, and I have Frye/Dilfer play in a Browns uniform. Quinn did little in his 3 yrs here, including TC to install any confidence either. Fact of the matter is that both are bums and I am glad they're gone.

Side note this must be a Browns forums as a thread about Joe Haden turned yet again into a QB discussion.

Legend
Legend
Purp,, I know,, I"m not argueing with anyone on DA.. I said, he did himself in..

ALl I'm saying is that Edwards didn't help him much....

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
No, he didn't... but Edwards isn't an excuse, caveat or asterisk, either.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Silly me... I clicked on this thread thinking I'd read something about our new DB and I'm reading about a QB and a wideout that are no longer on the team...

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Silly me... I clicked on this thread thinking I'd read something about our new DB and I'm reading about a QB and a wideout that are no longer on the team...

which means that our new DB might have to play against that QB and WR (best I could tie it back in)

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It happens Steve.. it happens..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

It happens Steve.. it happens..

On page 8 and he expected to still be on topic.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

On page 8 and he expected to still be on topic.

Honestly,,

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O.k..anyone find it interesting the comments about having 3 starting corners?
Uh,...U don't play 3 corners in your base D...and remember your first rounder is expected to start..discuss...Haden will be starting sometime.. and I'll start the debate..I say Wright could be moved out of the starting lineup..he's not physical..and he is poor in run support..McFluff neeeds to be let go..move Wright to the nickle after Haden gets experience..

Last edited by Attack Dawg; 05/06/10 09:25 AM.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Wright is a top 15 corner in the league. He is not the one who will be moved to nickel. That will be Sheldon Brown. As other people have said before, Haden and Wright has the potential to be one of the best cornerback tandems in the NFL. Saying Wright needs to be moved out the starting lineup is ridiculous.

Quote:

Uh,...U don't play 3 corners in your base D

You don't play three corners in your base d, no. But most teams have three WR's on the field at all times. So I would guess you have three CB's on the field as much or more than you have two.

Quote:

McFluff neeeds to be let go

As a 4th corner McDonald isn't bad at all. He isn't a starting corner, or even a nickel corner, but having a 4th corner who has started 27 games in the NFL (with a little success) is a luxury. Like I said, McDonald is not a starting corner. But having him around is still a good thing.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Wright is a top 15 corner in the league

And Brown is even better..so don't be shocked...Wright never had to fight for his starting spot..he will this year.

But most teams have three WR's on the field at all times

No they don't.They run 2 ...on what they consider passing downs or to catch the D off guard they'll run a hurry-up with 3.

As a 4th corner McDonald isn't bad at all.
When he's not asked to tackle he's not bad at all..

C
Legend
Legend
C
Sheldon Brown is better than Eric Wright?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
During his career he was better than Wright..and one thing hasn't changed,he's still a better tackler..dude has lost a step .. but I'm not bragging up Wright because he lacks in certain areas..and hitting is one of them..

C
Legend
Legend
C
So Brown is a better tackler than Wright. But does that make him a better corner? Isn't Brown a perfect nickel corner?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If their coverage skills are even then that area gives him a distinct edge...given his age and experience he could go in the nickle but thats not where I see him..

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

If their coverage skills are even

but, they are not. at least not anymore. in his prime, I liked Sheldon Brown quite a bit. and i still like that we have him on our team. but, as you mentioned, he has lost a step.

I fully expect Brown to start the year as our CB2 and play the nickel spot when Haden is on the field (3WR sets). Then, transition to pure nickel when Haden takes over.

then again, injuries at CB (well, just the NFL in general) happen all the time, so the fact we are having this argument is a good thing.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

so the fact we are having this argument is a good thing.

LOL Used to be that we'd discuss two guys in the context of which one was the lesser of two evils.. At least with this discussion, you are deciding between too pretty good CB's.. That right there is a change I can live with

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
then again, injuries at CB (well, just the NFL in general) happen all the time, so the fact we are having this argument is a good thing.

Well I did want to start a new discussion,plus to get away from any QB talk ..

P
Legend
Legend
P
Well you knew how to do it. lol

Wright and Haden are the future of the CB core. Brown has lost a step. As such, Wright would make a better cover CB.

Brown is cagey and has great instincts. Seems the Nickel is perfect for him.

jmho

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
and he hits like a freight train.. Mr Hines Ward, let me introduce to Mr. Brown.. or Mr. Haden...

don't ya just love the sound of that...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

and he hits like a freight train.. Mr Hines Ward, let me introduce to Mr. Brown.. or Mr. Haden...

don't ya just love the sound of that...

naw, oldman Ward won't get any separation from Mr. Brown or Mr. Haden, so the impact of their hits will be minimal on him.

i'm more interested in seeing Mr. Ward and Mr. Asante come over and give him a full-speed lick when Hiney tries to go over the middle

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
If things work out according to plan, it will be great to have a hard hitting secondary again. Berings up some fond memories!

Da Dawg Defense!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Hines Ward will still go to the middle of the field.. get blasted.. and then get up with a smile..

As much as I hate him.. he is one tough son of a gun.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I won't speak of Ward per say because as much as I hate to admit it, I think you're right.

But he is getting older and those bones get more brittle. Just saying from experience. lol

But by and large I think it will cause most oponents to "hear footsteps". Kind of looking over their shoulders once and if a reputation for hard hitting is given to our secondary.

I've seen it happen. And no, that doesn't include Leon. He just can't catch.

#gmstrong
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Browns 1st Round Pick: Joe Haden

Link Copied to Clipboard