D
1st String
1st String
D
What??? WHO???? WTF!!! OMG

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

AHHH! A breath of fresh air. It's funny how a whole team of scouts plus the experience of the FO just goes off the deep end & takes a safety that they don't want just to make some people mad!

for me... I just can't find much on him. you would think if he was that good... he would have a lot of highlights on him. Side note,,, I hope he is good. I think we could have gotten some better picks where we did but they know more than me.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
I like it!!!!!!!!!!!

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
At least you admit you are an armchair QB also

Mayock said he had him rated as a fourth rounder, but he also said he is an immediate starter in this league.

Not bashing, just commenting on the gloom and doom rearing it's head already.

#gmstrong
D
1st String
1st String
D
Quote:

I like it!!!!!!!!!!!

I like right tackle a helluva lot better

D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
Quote:

Quote:

I like it!!!!!!!!!!!

I like right tackle a helluva lot better

per the ESPN reporter
Mike Holmgren just said he is sitting out of these top three picks, and letting EM and the GM pick them. That sure is a odd thing to say....

Last edited by DawgFace; 04/23/10 08:19 PM.

Go Browns !!!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I keep telling ya ...It's in the water

Legend
Legend
Quote:

No it hasn't. It required two surgeries to repair that knee and was still hampered by it in 2007. So he only played ST's and a back-up because of it.

Bottom line? He only managed to stay healthy and play healthy ONE out of FOUR years in college.

So you just keep making excuses for the pick if you want, but it was a HUGE risk to pick this kid here with so much talent still left on the board.

Sounds a lot like Peterson. Maybe we get lucky and he can stay healthy.

#gmstrong
D
1st String
1st String
D
What did we have to give up to claim this no name running back?
Anyone know?

Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
2 of our 5th's.

#gmstrong
D
1st String
1st String
D
Quote:

What did we have to give up to claim this no name running back?
Anyone know?

--+
Eight pick third round

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

So we passed on Mays, a 6'3" 4.35/40 for Ward, a 5'10" 4.5/40?

Are you Al Davis?

Hmm, my wife asked me the same thing.

#GMSTRONG
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I still really love this pick. Getting an enforcer in the middle of the field is going to be a great help for us.

I also contend that it wasn't nearly the reach that some make it seem. Plus, we ended up with the guy everyone wanted with our 1st/2nd 3rd rounder.

you had a good run Hank.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Didn't we only have 2 3rds (which we used)?

Edit: Thanks for the correction, bbd. I hope the guy was worth the cost.

Last edited by oobernoober; 04/23/10 10:35 PM.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I wanted a safety who could cover AND lay the lumber.. Ward offers that!!

His website sold me. he should get hazed for that.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Didn't we only have 2 3rds (which we used)?

We had three and used one to move up to take Hardesty.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Everyone says we reached for him and we could have got him in the 3rd, but look at all of the Safties that went off the board after he picked. I doubt he would have been there. I hope Heckert knows what he is doing.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
J/C

Hasn't even taken a snap and some of you have this guy a bust.

I'm with Purp. You can bet the medical has been cleared. Even Mayock said he was a 2nd round talent that fell to a 4th because of injury concerns only.

If healthy he is a solid pick!!!!!

Cmon guys.

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

J/C

I'm with Purp. You can bet the medical has been cleared. Even Mayock said he was a 2nd round talent that fell to a 4th because of injury concerns only.

Cmon guys.

Can you give me the powerball winning numbers for the next drawing???

Injury Report
2009: Missed five games with an ankle injury.

2006: Missed the majority of the season with a knee injury.

2004: Suffered a season-ending knee injury during his senior year of high school.

So his knee has been fine since 2006 and he missed 5 games with an ankle injury last year. Not scared.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

J/C

Cmon guys.

I really put no faith in where they are projected to go. If there is a player a team really wants what good is it to wait and then miss him?

I've seen the Tennessee RB play and I'm happy with where we got him. I had no clue who Ward was until I watched his highlight film. Who was still out there that is clearly better? I know some like Mays but he has had issues in coverage.

Last edited by Referee7; 04/24/10 04:20 PM.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I just don't get why people put so much stock in these so called experts. If these guys really knew there stuff they would be working in some one's war room instead of talking on TV all day.

A lot of these guys get these soo called projections from what they hear teams say about players. A lot of that is smoke screens. Remember these are the same guys that said Tebow was 2nd round talent, Clausen was top 10 talent and soo on.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Taylor Mays, on what should be the happiest day of his life, starts his pro career by blasting his college coach! LOSER!!! That in itself shows me our guys did their homework! By the way, TJ Ward says he's patterned his game by after Jack Tatum. I'll take 1/2 Tatums success from Ward!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Taylor Mays, on what should be the happiest day of his life, starts his pro career by blasting his college coach! LOSER!!! That in itself shows me our guys did their homework! By the way, TJ Ward says he's patterned his game by after Jack Tatum. I'll take 1/2 Tatums success from Ward!

I thought the same thing about Mays! I really liked what I saw from this kid and thought he'd be our 2nd round pick, but was really surprised that he blasted Pete... but then again, maybe Pete did tell him a bunch of lies, though I would find that hard to believe.

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I thought the same thing about Mays! I really liked what I saw from this kid and thought he'd be our 2nd round pick, but was really surprised that he blasted Pete... but then again, maybe Pete did tell him a bunch of lies, though I would find that hard to believe.

I wouldn't doubt Pete may have lied to him. I do think he would have been a little smarter to keep his mouth shut. If he gets into the games he will see Seattle twice a year. That's where he needs to make his point.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Maybe, but don't go public with that crap.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Legend
Legend
He's young.. His college coach, who he played hard for, did not draft him.. I would be a little upset too.

Not only would I be upset for him not drafting me, but I'd be upset and confused on why you didn't try to coach me up to be a better player.. the type of player you would want to draft.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not saying I wouldn't be upset, but like I said, keep it out of the media.

You're not going to do yourself any favors. People have to learn to think before they react. In the heat of the moment, it's much wiser to bite your tongue.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Legend
Legend
That's the great thing about sport, he will have every opportunity to prove everybody wrong, including his own coach, for leaving him on the board... just shut up and go do it.

yebat' Putin
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

I just don't get why people put so much stock in these so called experts. If these guys really knew there stuff they would be working in some one's war room instead of talking on TV all day.

Not exactly.

Guys who are professional scouts spend their lives on the road, kicking roaches out of their Hotel 6 window-unit motel rooms, picking through high-school faculty staff and bothering coaches who don't have time for questions from scouts who live out of suit-cases. Many of these scouts would LOVE to get a cushy job on TV, where they get FAR more money living in their own houses and sleeping in their own beds, sending their kids off to school every morning and kissing their wives goodbye before they leave for work, instead of calling the Mrs. each night to tell them how much they are missed.

Scouts make poor money for the amount of hours they put in, especially when weighted against the money TV analysts make.

Ever wonder why all these former players get on TV instead of going to work for scouting services? It's because the jobs are cushy. Mayock has been offered numerous jobs with teams but why ruin a good thing? Guys like Gil Brandt used to work for the Cowboys but "retired" to cushy online jobs. Hell, Mike Florio used to be in tight with the NFL teams but makes far better money running PFT while living in his own house.

No man, the life of an NFL scout is living out of a cheap motel room and a suit-case with zero job security. You're job comes and goes with each regime change and there are no retirement plans in place for NFL scouts.

I looked into it when I was much younger. I would have been miserable because that life isn't for most people.

The reason why many TV analysts don't grade-out as well as the scouts on payroll is because they aren't as much in the loop. However, that doesn't mean they don't know their stuff. In a way, that makes a little of your point, but I wanted to make sure that the counterpoint got some airtime.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This, this and this. Virtually everyone I know in the media has no desire whatsoever to work for an NFL team.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
j/c

I think the injury problems for Ward have been way overblown.

He had two knee injuries senior year in high school and freshman year in college. That's not good, but he has never had any problems since then. The only other injury that caused him to miss games was a high ankle sprain his senior season.

I would say that would be a quite overblown injury history.

you had a good run Hank.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
To expound further.........why does everyone put stock into whomever our FO is at the moment??? Our drafts have been crap for a decade so if people want to bitch let them........they've earned it by watching this team screw up over and over again.

I like this draft so far overall, but I'm not going to blindly say "I trust so and so because they are in the NFL"............so was Policy/Clark, Botch, Opie,etc. If they make a dumb pick imo (like getting a walking MASH unit for a saftey in the top of the 2nd...hehehe) I'm going to call them on it.

Now overal I like this draft because we seem to be getting guys who fit our system, and what we want to do........not just some freak who might not fit in. That has been our biggest mistake in the past imo with everyone from Opie, Botch, and Policy/Clark. However, there was at least 1 head scratcher, and it's okay to say it when there is one.

JMHO

[off soap box...going to pass out now]

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
I love this draft! I know I am in the minority..but I do. These are all guys you want on your football team. Hayden lays some wood..Ward will bring the lumber hard. These are excellent football players, and no one knows anything about how their careers will unfold yet. I am happy they are Cleveland Browns. Welcome to Cleveland all of you and thanks..H/H/M.

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
j/c

this guy is the same size as bob sanders and troy polamalu

T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

To expound further.........why does everyone put stock into whomever our FO is at the moment??? Our drafts have been crap for a decade so if people want to bitch let them........they've earned it by watching this team screw up over and over again

This is the worst pick on day 2 for several reason and here they are

Terrance Cody could have been gotton here, ( OH yeah this wouldn't be a need if they had signed Pool or Jones)
Terrance Cody is now another 500 pound Raven on the defensive line, I think they have 10 !
( OH yeah this wouldn't be a need if they had signed Pool or Jones) m

This Draft tonight is about the wide receiver they did not get!

Seriously, why do they even give the Browns 5th round picks, have they used one in the last decade? What happened to Antonio Perkins?

I'm not laughing at Antonio Perkins, I"m laughing at the RECIPE
2 defensive backs and an offensive tackle ( not a top one) ... in the first 5 picks
Familiar? Should be, same old recipe

Trade up for the only offensive skill position player ? Hardesty!
Familiar? should be,, same old recipe Kellon Winslow, remember that one?

Same old RECIPE,

Who is he going to throw to? The offensive tackle, and the Safety, both Bad ideas to go with those positions at those places.

Riley Cooper? Jordan Shipley? Who is going to catch the football on this team?
Touchdowns! We don't need no stinking Touchdowns!

Defense doesn't win championships, if it did Cleveland would be title town.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

( OH yeah this wouldn't be a need if they had signed Pool or Jones)

Pool is on something like concusion #10 .... and Jones (If you mean Sean Jines) just never panned out. He's now on his 3rd team in 2 years.

In today's NFL (especially in the AFCN) you need an inpact Safety if you want a great defense. Hopefully we now have one.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
The more I watch on this guy the more I love the pick. He isn't small as some people are saying, he just isn't Taylor Mays physically. The guy goes 211 pounds, that is not light in the ass for a free safety at all.

He's a big time hitter and seems to do just fine in coverage, and I'm glad we got a guy who isn't one dimensional in the mold of Roy Williams like Taylor Mays is. But I'm really excited that we just acquired 3 guys in the secondary this offseason who like to hit people.

"All I know is, as long as I led the Southeastern Conference in scoring, my grades would be fine." - Charles Barkley
Legend
Legend
Can't say I was real buzzed about it at first but the more I'm reading and what clips I've seen of this pick, the more I like it. He does like to lay the wood on guys.

#GMSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Ward is a good player...it was a need reach and we probably overdrafted him but he's a fine prospect. I would have picked DL L.Joseph but I'm happy we picked up a prospect I consider good instead of some bum like Mays or Clausen

It was a real bummer that McCluster and N.Allen went right before our pick...I'm sure we had 1 or maybe 2 of them targeted too for that pick

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

This, this and this. Virtually everyone I know in the media has no desire whatsoever to work for an NFL team.

That's because they wouldn't have a job very long if they were actually held accountable for the work that they do.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Browns 2nd Round Pick I: TJ Ward

Link Copied to Clipboard