Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
j/c

At first this was a bit of a head scratcher, but after more concideration i like the pick. I think the injury knock is a bit unfair. I would take the kid that already had the surgery over the one that needs it anyday. That would explain Sergio dropping.

Oregon has a good program. Mays vs Ward - i take Ward. Mays was really exposed this last year. He's a freakish athlete, but the instictive side of things just can't be tought. And he really seemed to lack it, bad angles and IMO was really part of USC's defensive problems. Ward might not be the flashiest, but he will be solid, and will be a starter.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Can't say I was real buzzed about it at first but the more I'm reading and what clips I've seen of this pick, the more I like it. He does like to lay the wood on guys.

that's because that is the only highlight reels avail on him. it is hard to find stuff that is not 12 seconds long of him laying wood. Brian Russel did it 4-5 times over his career too.

I want to see more on his play.

I am not sold on him one bit from the cheesy vids i saw. I don't have a prob taking a SS or FS I have a problem drafting knee injuries and no ther vids avail and when we got him.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Little guy who can hit. I like the pick, probably the Browns were pissed that Allen went off the board.

Soooooooo glad they didn't go McCoy or Clausen.

I agree, with Allen off the board and the fact that they didnt get Berry. I would have preferred Morgan Burnett here and he didnt go until the 3rd. But Ill give the old, very old, wait and see aproach.

T
Legend
Legend
T
They could almost salvage this draft!

They could almost make up for this kind of pick if they could find a WR like Riley Cooper or his equivilant when they pick next.

Is that in round 6, good luck!

2 DB's the defensive line will suffer in the long run for not getting a tackle when you had this chance.

I say you don't get this player After you get Haden, either! Or! and Haden was probably the better choice,

They Could almost salvage this draft if they get a Solid wide receiver!

They Blew it! This pick, and the Offensive lineman less than 330 pounds!

They CAN'T lead a 4th quarter comeback without somebody to catch the ball!!!!!
I can almost guarantee the Browns will be last in the division, unless Hardesty is some sort of unstoppable force.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I am not sold on him one bit from the cheesy vids i saw. I don't have a prob taking a SS or FS I have a problem drafting knee injuries and no ther vids avail and when we got him.

Ward's production seems to back up the pick. While some will call it a reach, I don't see it as a huge one. It probably wasn't BPA but it was best safety available on our draft board (which we desperately needed).

In the past two seasons, Ward has more tackles (169) than Mays (149) and Allen (138)..... in fewer games. Ward played 21, Mays 25 and Allen 26.

He also has more impact plays around the LOS. 8 TFL's and 5 FF's are more than Mays (2, 0) and Allen (3, 1) combined. Throw in 14 PBU's and this guy is just an extremely productive football player.

His 40 time of 4.48 is good for a safety and his 20 yard shuttle of 4.12 was the best of any of the top guys. That quickness / explosion in small spaces is what allows him to just light people up.

He was great in drills at the combine and had a better resume than any of the other guys that were slotted in that area. I don't understand why people are so upset about this pick after looking what the kid has done? Simply because they hadn't heard of him?

He visited Baltimore if that makes anyone feel any better. I don't think that it's a homerun pick but there was a run on safeties and this was a guy we really liked. Why does it matter if we had to take him a little early?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
for all the picks... I hope they kick major butt! I am a Browns fan and they are now with the Browns.

I guess I thought we could have gotten more value out of the picks we had however we did fill needs. I am concerned that the regime said they would strictly take BPA and it seemed they were trying to plug holes with a few possible reaches. the first and last pick were good. based on what I have read about our new G.I am just slightly concerned we reached to fill needs with the middle 2. Nonetheless, it doesn't matter what round they are drafted in if they are starting and making the Pro Bowl

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Simply put, Ward is a great player who'll either make it or fail because of injuries. He went where he should have gone based on talent. The risk...........and it's a BIG one............is whether or not his injuries will stay away.

2nd round skills with 4th round injury concerns. Nothing more, nothing less.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
yea.. that comment reminds me of when we drafted Beau Bell. I do like the Ward pick though.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Starter?

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
i think so.

i'll love seeing him light up hines ward.

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
I like this pick. He seems like a good enforcer. His high lights on youtube are pretty sweet

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Quote:

Starter?

You bet your Underoos he is.

The first three guys we took are slated to be starters. That word "starter" has less meaning in a league where teams need two RB's, but it applies never-the-less.

Deep and I are talking and I have to wonder if we're considering moving Sheldon Brown out to FS. McDonald is already going back to the nickel where he belongs. Poor starter, good nickel. He'd be an amazing dime, but I think there's a chance Sheldon moves out to FS. I could easily be wrong, but Deep has a good point when he thinks we look like we've got a ton of SS's and no FS's. Brown could fit that bill.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Starter?

You bet your Underoos he is.

The first three guys we took are slated to be starters. That word "starter" has less meaning in a league where teams need two RB's, but it applies never-the-less.

Deep and I are talking and I have to wonder if we're considering moving Sheldon Brown out to FS. McDonald is already going back to the nickel where he belongs. Poor starter, good nickel. He'd be an amazing dime, but I think there's a chance Sheldon moves out to FS. I could easily be wrong, but Deep has a good point when he thinks we look like we've got a ton of SS's and no FS's. Brown could fit that bill.

Did you guys already see where Mangini was asked if Sheldon moves to Safety and he said "No"?

Elam and Ward will be starting safeties and it wouldnt suprise me to see McDonald starting at Nickle, TO START THE SEASON over Haden if he isnt ready. But Im sure we will see a ton of Haden by the end of the year.

the only safety on the roster I would say is more FS than SS is Sorenson.

I think Elam played FS while Pool played SS. Ward is a FS. I would rather have Adams at FS than Brown.

Legend
Legend
nice post.

I see that a couple of brain cells got rubbed together for this one....

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

nice post.

I see that a couple of brain cells got rubbed together for this one....

X2

Our passion for this team sometimes clouds the thought process.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
I thought there Mangini was asked that question and he basically said that he likes having multiple corners on the field

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
u have too.. The Steelers generally run 3-4 WR sets.. and so do the Bengals..

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Quote:

I thought there Mangini was asked that question and he basically said that he likes having multiple corners on the field

Since he played CB before and he's at FS now doesn't that mean you have 3 corners on the field?

ha ha ha, just kidding.

We're trying to throw the ball downfield and he checked the ball down to Trent Richardson and the Indians on the choice.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

It's entirely possible. I haven't listened to any interviews by our brass. I'm just speculating because I don't care for what we have at FS. If Mangini said he won't move Brown then that's pretty clear.

Side note, if Haden isn't ready to start, we've selected the wrong guy at 7.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

It's entirely possible. I haven't listened to any interviews by our brass. I'm just speculating because I don't care for what we have at FS. If Mangini said he won't move Brown then that's pretty clear.

Side note, if Haden isn't ready to start, we've selected the wrong guy at 7.

I consider a nickelback a starter. Perfect spot to learn while training to take over for Sheldon Brown.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Here in lies " One " of my problems with Mangini .. He falls in love with a guy like Elam and that's the end of the story .. You don't need to be an NFL coach to see that he ain't all that and a bag of chips .. Maybe try something revolutionary ; the best eleven on the field at one time ?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
CB is the hardest adjustment to learn on D in the NFL. I expect we will see him start the season at the nickle, and then become the full time starter later in the year.

I would love to see us eventually move Sheldon to FS, Ward to SS, Haden/Wright at CB, and Elam to the bench................but wth Mangini saying no I doubt it........as we saw last year dude can be stubborn to a fault

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Maybe, but regardless what Holmgren has said if a bit of pressure to convince the staff to do what is best is needed, it will be applied.

Legend
Legend
when we drafted ERic Wright.. who did he have to beat out? i forgot.

Leigh BoddeN?

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Leigh BoddeN?

No one. It was handed to him.

Legend
Legend

Corey Chavous had Ward rated over Mays.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I heard Ward talking in the presser and said he hasn't miss a game in the last 3 years do to injury.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Leigh BoddeN?

that was right after mccutcheon left. We didn't have another corner. Maybe lehan?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Relax, I'm not trying to make excuses for anybody. He was moved to the safety position in 08' and hasn't had an issue with his knee since.

No, since he had an ankle issue. I am just not one in favor of picking someone this high with this much of an injury history.

If the guy stays healthy, I think he'll be one helluva player. It's not as if I have a problem with the talent level Ward gives you. At this juncture all I can do is hope the kid stays healthy so he can show the talents he has and contribute them on a reagular basis.

jmho

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Quote:

Relax, I'm not trying to make excuses for anybody. He was moved to the safety position in 08' and hasn't had an issue with his knee since.

No, since he had an ankle issue.

he sprained his ankle once his senior season.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That's a good point. If he stays healthy, we all may come to love him. Dude can hit, no doubt about that. The big question in everyone's mind, including the FO, has to be durability. I suppose the good news is that they've had the opportunity to evaluate medical on the kid, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I definitely want the kid to be the next Troy P. Let's hope he can stay on the field.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
j/k

ESPN brought up a point awhile age, that 90% of all college players have a surgery at some point in thier carrer, 75% miss a few games over that 4 years.

Minor injuries dont bother me, what concerns me is

1. Is he healthy NOW

2. Can he play thru injuries,

If yes to both, I'm good

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

j/k

ESPN brought up a point awhile age, that 90% of all college players have a surgery at some point in thier carrer, 75% miss a few games over that 4 years.

Minor injuries dont bother me, what concerns me is

1. Is he healthy NOW

2. Can he play thru injuries,

If yes to both, I'm good

Eo brought up a good point elsewhere...

ACL's...Legs...They heal completely...

It's the lil' nagging stuff like Hammy's that kill ya' cause they reoccur frequently...Or at least have the possibility too...

Go Browns!!!
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Simply put, Ward is a great player who'll either make it or fail because of injuries. He went where he should have gone based on talent. The risk...........and it's a BIG one............is whether or not his injuries will stay away.

Highlighting to be read again as it's exactly how I feel. Everything I saw from him and then read about him afterward corresponded with him being a Bob Sanders type in the NFL, with the risk of injuries just as high.

Let's face it though. Safety is such a lower profile position in the NFL half because it is so frought with injury risk. It seems even more cumbersome to draft a guy with an injury history, but it's hard to judge from that because, as others have said, his knee injuries are a long time ago now and a high ankle sprain doesn't usually keep coming back.

And, one extra thing, we also drafted his backup a couple rounds later (Asante), which is a good thing.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

And, one extra thing, we also drafted his backup a couple rounds later (Asante), which is a good thing.

I'm not sure. Heckert was saying the Browns spent a lot of time working Ward out in coverage and playing deep zone. They're confident in his ability to learn to play it. Remember that the guy used to be a CB.

I feel like either A) Our starting safeties will have versatile roles or B) Ward is the FS with Mike Adams backing him up. I'm betting more A) and when we're in obvious passing situations, I wouldn't be surprised if Mike Adams and TJ Ward are the two players on the field.

Mike Adams is better in coverage than Elam, he plays the zone better, but he isn't as good at coming up with the hit. Elam is more of a versatile player than Adams, but he doesn't cover or play zone as well as Adams.

When we're in a more-likely running situation it will be Elam and Ward. But yeah, I don't see Asante as the backup for Ward, in fact I see Asante as probably our number 4 safety behind Mike Adams (who is versatile and can play a bit of corner against a bad receiver also).

Asante definitely seems like a guy made to strictly go after the runner at this point in his career. But if we're doing FS/SS, I expect Elam to be SS as he has been in the past

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
N
Legend
Legend
N
that's quite possible, but if we go more to the NE secondary scheme Mangini used to run, there's less of a FS/SS split. the roles of each depend on the defensive call and the offensive formation, down and distance, et cetera. it's the one I prefer because it confuses the opposing QB more.

so, both S's need to be able to do both roles. now, if Adam's is the 3rd safety that plays either role, I have no issue with that. I was more referring to Ward has an injury history and we drafted safety depth with Asante.

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

that's quite possible, but if we go more to the NE secondary scheme Mangini used to run, there's less of a FS/SS split. the roles of each depend on the defensive call and the offensive formation, down and distance, et cetera. it's the one I prefer because it confuses the opposing QB more.

so, both S's need to be able to do both roles. now, if Adam's is the 3rd safety that plays either role, I have no issue with that. I was more referring to Ward has an injury history and we drafted safety depth with Asante.

I think we're going for the Ryan scheme of doing things like his brother does with the Jets...

Corners lock down, safeties go for the kill shot on the pass and stuff the run.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That really isn't how Rex Ryan's safeties play. Have you ever seen Ed Reed up stuffing the run or going for the kill shot? I sure haven't.

Legend
Legend
we should be able to do that this year w/ Wright and Brown starting.. and Haden/ McDonald as the nickel/dime...

Elam to me really can't play the run or cover.. but.. I guess Ward can play it deep w/ Elam playing in the box.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

That really isn't how Rex Ryan's safeties play. Have you ever seen Ed Reed up stuffing the run or going for the kill shot? I sure haven't.

Jim Leonhard is more in the mold of a Rex Ryan safety since Reed was already there when he took over and let's be honest, Ed Reed isn't exactly terrible. I remember Daniel Jeremiah mentioning this a few months back when talking safeties. Rex loves "killshot" safeties and I bet Rob does too.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Browns 2nd Round Pick I: TJ Ward

Link Copied to Clipboard