Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Actually the 3rd round is where you historically see those guys who played OT in college (but can't in the NFL because of feet) get drafted. Shawn has a chance to be a very good RG, but he's going to need a year or 2 because of technique.

I like this pick alot, and think he has a shot to be a starter in the near future.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
these workout stats look good on paper.He is a strong dude and he will need to be strong. With a year or two of coaching maybe he will pan out hopefully not this generation's Isaac Sowells

an area of need was addressed.I won't be surprised if a back-up center is drafted today.

PS
the more I research this guy,the more I like him

Last edited by Line Judge; 04/24/10 05:45 AM.
Legend
Legend
He's gotta be a smart kid. He graduated in 2008 with a bachelor degree in education and is 6-9 credits away from his masters,.

The NFL classroom should be a breeze.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
geez,
strong and intelligent

This guy was drafted to play guard.He may not be able tostart right away,but I'll bet he will be ready by this time next year.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I really liked Lauvao going in...for 1 of our 5ths though...but I guess late in the 3rd that's still better than picking some raw "projection" pick....I'm glad we avoided this

would have picked M.Johnson over him but Lauvao was more athletic and had a good offseason showing...he's an overachiever and I'm confident he can be decent RG someday but I doubt he will be much better than anything we go there he last years overall

That's my problem with our draft...we seem to always have RE-acted

in round 2 Allen is off the board, and we take the next best guy at S....later Tate gets picked, we move up to get the next best guy....Jerry gets taken by the Dolphins, we take the next best power-G prospect

I like thos 3 players, but we definately have reached for most of them and just seem to have missed the better prospect

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
j/c

The fact that he was rated in magazines as 10th or 12th best guard doesn't make him a bad selection. If he was playing at LT and these publications are projecting him to guard and rating him as such, that doesn't mean he can't be, at the very least, serviceable and with time, a potential starter.

My reading of him makes him sound like he just needs better technique/footwork and not being blessed with long arms he won't be able to handle NFL speed rushers at tackle.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Hey now, dont question our draft experts!

Not sure why we chased down Heckert when we had a choice of 20 or so guys from the boards!

CLASSIC

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just a general reply:

first off the 305 weight is a falsehood. This is a big kid and his playing weight is probably 15 to 20lbs higher. He is a big strong kid that has a rep for being a mean nasty type of player.

He doesnt have the hips for LT. He can maybe one day work at RT but he is a guard. He played out of position and did surprisingly well despite not having the hips and feet to play in space.

If he had been guard only, he would have been one of those guards teams think well he is a great guard but maybe we can slide him out to tackle. Well he has already been worked out there u know he can be an emergency player but people seem to have forgotten how good he is when he plays his natural position.

Arizona state had so many injuries their line wasnt very good due to no chemistry and this kid has been undervalued. It is still a slight reach but not nearly as bad as Ward and Hardesty. I had Lauvao as early 4th so not much of a reach a in my opinion.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Quote:

I guess the experts don't like this pick...

Wouldn't they have a job for an NFL team instead of being a journalist if they were experts?

Ask that to Daniel Jeremiah and Phil Savage. Im starting to think that GMs and scouts are all about who you know to get the job.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Scott Wrights opinion:

92 CLEVELAND BROWNS (f/NYJ): SHAWN LAUVAO, OG, ARIZONA STATE
Scouting Report

Athletic blocker who'll push Pork Chop Womack for the starting job at right guard.

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Scott Wrights opinion:

Scouting Report

Athletic blocker who'll push Pork Chop Womack for the starting job at right guard.

Considering the team won games when Fraley (a player they cut) started over Womack, thats not telling me much. Im hoping for the best but I see Isaac Sowells part II

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Scott Wrights opinion:

Scouting Report

That would surprise me.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
It will suprise me if he does it in year 1, but next year I fully expect it.......maybe even at mid season. He's much more talented than Womack

Legend
Legend
next year we draft two guards.. gotta look for steiny's replacement soon...

and if Faneca gets cut.. You think he would want to come to Cleveland?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Faneca was released this morning. Ducasse is apparently the man.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Would love for us to sign Faneca, and put him at RG. That solidifies our OL, and puts us at a position of not having to rush SL into starting, and that's a real possiblility with a total BUM like FW at RG right now.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

just seem to have missed the better prospect

Or just maybe its "YOUR" version of a better prospect.

You really think we reached JUST because someone picked a simulat player before us? Really?
MH said Hardesty was "OUR" guy we wanted all along. Not sure on the others but.....

Come on man!!!!!!

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
N
Legend
Legend
N
you know we are in agreement on Mike Johnson, but it's how the chips fall sometimes.

i haven't seen enough of Lauvao to have much of an opinion on him, but I definitely am glad we did not draft Petrus or Jerry. I think both of them are a bit soft in how they play and Petrus is especially sloppy in his technique.

hopefully, Lauvao gives us some depth on the OL for a few years, which is what a late 3rd round pick should do (if better, then great).

#gmstrong
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Only thing is "what is considered a reach?"

If you stick to your draft board and you take who (the the FO says TH set up) is the best in that slot....then "who" is to say that player is a reach?
Mayock?
Kiper?
The bozos on here who think they know whats best?

Who then?

You stick to your board (from what i have read we did) then you did not reach.

Mike said Hardesty was the guy we had targeted.....we took him.....NOT A REACH.

JMO

O
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
O
Quote:

If this guy ever gets on the field,we're in trouble.
This cat has cement shoes that would make even thw most hardcore mafioso proud.
Forget about traps,pulls,screens,zones when this guy is playing.

there should be no need for this pick as we should have taken Ducasse with a 7.6 rating with our second pick in the round #2. Who needs a OL prospect with a 2.4 rating this high, just another blunder by Botch and company. Hope MH and TH are getting some big fish by now !

Now is the time to take that back up CB/ Nickle back, Brandon Ghee, with a 7.1 rating and good potential. he's has good size, speed, tough and good on run support.Good in man to man cover and presses the receiver at the line. Plus he fills another need as a CB, who can learn from Wright and Brown.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
What are these worthless ratings you are throwing out here? Are they from a website or something?

Never the less, I think it's foolish to call someone a bad pick because of a rating from an online website. You should be old enough to know better than that.

you had a good run Hank.
O
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
O
Quote:

If this guy ever gets on the field,we're in trouble.
This cat has cement shoes that would make even thw most hardcore mafioso proud.
Forget about traps,pulls,screens,zones when this guy is playing.

there should be no need for this pick as we should have taken Ducasse with a 7.6 rating with our second pick in the round #2. Who needs a OL prospect with a 2.4 rating this high, just another blunder by Botch and company. Hope MH and TH are getting some big fish by now !

Now is the time to take that back up CB/ Nickle back, Brandon Ghee, with a 7.1 rating and good potential. he's has good size, speed, tough and good on run support.Good in man to man cover and presses the receiver at the line. Plus he fills another need as a CB, who can learn from Wright and Brown.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
You are a trip.

We have scouts who help set up the draft board according to coaching styles philosophies, interviews and yes talent.

They dont use your web site rating nor does any other team. They do their own scouting. I hate to shock you with that lil bit of info.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Im hoping for the best but I see Isaac Sowells part II

I don't think that is a fare comparision, because Sowells was a SOFT player.
Other then their size being simular and both being picked in the same round and played OT at the Collage level dosen't mean they are the same player. There is no soft in Shawns game!
He only gave up 3 sacks last season playing last season at OT. He fits the BPA (Smart, Tuff, Unselfesh). We knew he would be gone by our next pick #160 so I have know problem with this pick. We lost our depth at OG when we lost Hadock in FA. I really feel we will need him at some point next season and maybe then more of you will change your minds on weather or not this was a good pick.

[Linked Image]

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Two questions.

First, FL, where is Austinburg? I'm down in Texas but was born in Ohio and go back frequently. Just curious where it is.

Second question to anyone and everyone:

How many people have actually seen this kid play? I cannot, with a straight face, say I've ever heard of this kid or watched him play. Therefore, I cannot honestly form an opinion about him. Reading reports only does so much, so to say he's going to bust just seems silly to me.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Two questions.

First, FL, where is Austinburg? I'm down in Texas but was born in Ohio and go back frequently. Just curious where it is.

Austinburg is about 50 miles east of Clevaland and just south east of Geneva.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Southeast of Astabula.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Southeast of Astabula.

Southwest of Ashtabula

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
No it's not...I moved it.

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
It's south of Saybrook and east of Harpersfield, by the Flying J.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Second question to anyone and everyone:

How many people have actually seen this kid play? I cannot, with a straight face, say I've ever heard of this kid or watched him play. Therefore, I cannot honestly form an opinion about him. Reading reports only does so much, so to say he's going to bust just seems silly to me.

I saw a couple ASU games last year, but I could not tell you who he was. I do remember seeing him at the combine and thinking... this guy is pretty fluid for a guard. The fact that he put up 33 reps did not hurt either. So I was happy with the pick, and was not overly surprized he went in the third round. Those who looked at my mock draft will find that he was moved up.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
j/k

I have heard this kid will know the playbook after two weeks, highly intellagent, excellent run blocker, needs to work on pass blocking not slow feet just placement / footwork. We need bigger guards with Ravens stocking up on big men in the middle, we need bigger guards, I myself like the pick, because we dont need him to start this year.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
http://medinagazette.northcoastnow.com/2010/05/07/strongman-lauvao-flew-under-radar/

Strongman Lauvao flew under radar

By: Scott Petrak
May 7th, 2010 ·

Shawn Lauvao has never pulled a van, lifted a giant tire, flipped a log or done any of the other bizarre and entertaining events that make up the world’s strongest man competitions.

But the newest Browns offensive lineman, and 2005 Hawaii Strongest Teen, is open to the possibility.

“Maybe in the future,” he said over the weekend at Browns rookie minicamp. “It’s definitely a big hobby of mine. I enjoy lifting weights. I’m kind of strong.”

Lauvao was drafted in the third round at No. 92 overall. The pick came just seven selections after that of Texas quarterback Colt McCoy, so Lauvao has been largely an afterthought.

The afterthought has a much better chance of contributing this season.

Lauvao, who finished his Arizona State career with 33 straight starts, played left tackle as a senior, but at 6-foot-2, 315 pounds projects as an NFL guard. Veteran Floyd Womack is penciled in as the starter at right guard, but Lauvao could immediately push him for playing time.

“The biggest thing is I want to make the team and help the team any way possible,” said Lauvao, who grew up in Hawaii and whose parents live in Western Samoa. “Whatever the coaches see fit, I’m more than willing to do.”

If Lauvao gets on the field, his strength will be a significant factor. He can bench press 500 pounds, squat 700 and clean 350. He benched 225 pounds an impressive 33 times at the combine, and was disappointed he didn’t do more.

“Shawn came in strong, had a tremendous work ethic the entire time he was here and got much stronger,” Arizona State strength coach Ben Hilgart said. “What’s more impressive is that pound for pound he’s very good. He handles his body weight very well.”

Hilgart said Lauvao’s “relative strength” was obvious when the linemen did chin-ups. While plenty of 300-pounders struggle to do one, Lauvao ups the ante and doesn’t disappoint.

“We’ve got chains we use that weigh about 20 pounds apiece,” Hilgart said. “He’ll drape three of those around his back, kinda Mad Max style. It turns him into 375 pounds, 60 of which is dead weight, and he’ll bang out 10 chin-ups.”

If strength were enough to make a good NFL player, the behemoths from the strong man competition —Magnus and Andrus — would be raking in millions on Sundays. But that strength must be converted to operational power.

“There’s a lot of guys who can lift a lot of wait, who are strong, but not very athletic,” Lauvao said. “The biggest thing is playing with better leverage, better knee bend, dropping your hips more, having better reaction, as opposed to trying to run and smash people. You’ve got to do it in a more controlled manner.”

Hilgart’s seen Lauvao do that on the field, and he also saw it at the combine when Lauvao posted the best time of any offensive lineman in the short shuttle drill.

“It’s a great indicator of how a guy can change direction, burst off the line and drop his hips,” Hilgart said. “It shows versatility. He’s an athletic and strong kid. He’s not just a big, slow, strong kid.

“I’ve seen it in games and practices. When he gets hold of you, it’s lights out. I’ve seen him lock ’em out with one arm and just stone that person. That’s an application of where strength is translating to the football field.”

Lauvao earned his bachelor’s degree in interdisciplinary studies, specializing in education and sociology. He said he’s six to nine units from getting his master’s and would like to use the degrees to go into coaching.

The Browns targeted character and toughness in the draft, and Lauvao appears to bring both. As a senior, he was voted captain by his teammates and won the Hard Hat award, given to the MVP of strength training.

“It’s not about the strongest person, it’s who’s working the hardest, doing the little things right and motivating people in the weight room,” Hilgart said. “He just happened to also be our strongest guy.

“He’s a great football player, a hard worker and a great person. All that stuff’s legit. All that stuff’s authentic.”

The coaching staff worked Lauvao at both guard spots during rookie minicamp, and he said they want him to master guard before expanding his repertoire.

“He’s tough, he’s physical,” coach Eric Mangini said. “One of the things that you like about watching offensive linemen or something that always jumps off the screen to me is guys that clean the pocket. Which means when they are not blocking somebody, they go and help somebody else out and it’s usually one of those hits that defensive linemen remember.

“There were quite a few of those with him. You appreciate that.”

Lauvao had a simple explanation for what Mangini spotted on film.

“I like to knock heads,” he said. “If I don’t have anything to do, I’m going to go see if I can smash somebody else.”

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Did you know that Shawn Lauvao is only the 2nd OG Drafted by the Browns in the "modern era" with a top 100 selection.
The other being Ed King 2nd round 1991.

Imo......we were long over due and history will support my feelings on the subject.
The best OL's over the years were with teams who did not forget to draft OG's as well as C and OT.

[Linked Image]

P
Legend
Legend
P
One thig I noticed in MH's draft history, is a tendancy to address the trenches in most every draft. He understands that the game is won and lost in the trenches.

Our seconday has been a very weak link in the chain so the draft this year addressed that unit more than anything. But under H&H I think we'll see both trenches addressed much more than with former regimes since our return.

Something I'll be very happy to see with some regularity. We have guys who "get it" now running things and as such, I feel we will see it expounded in future drafts.

And ya gotta love that IMO

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
I have always been one to think you build a OL from the middle out.

The shortest distance to a QB is straight up the middle. Put a solid starting 3 in front of the QB and he is going to be able to do something.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
the more I hear about this player the more I like the pick.

Strong, smart, agile

Last edited by Line Judge; 05/09/10 08:59 AM.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Mangini, Heckert, and Holmgren, all of our top 3 brass have a consistent history of adressing the lines in nearly each and every draft for each and every team they have been a part of.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

the more I hear about this player the more I like the pick.

Strong, smart, agile

In Shawn Lauvao, it looks like the Browns scouting/draft department did a good job of finding another lineman who fits the mold of Thomas and Mack...tough, smart linemen.

Here is a locker room interview Shawn Lauvao from the Browns website..

web page

He is a workout warrior who also applies himself mentally in the classroom. Did you hear Lauvao comment about the coaches wanting him to learn all the positions on the OL? It sounds like the Browns might be planning to use Lauvao as a backup at C,G and T until he is ready to start.

Pashos at RT also fits the same mold and Womack, the Browns starting RG, being a 10 year vet will be challenged by Lauvao.

When and if Lauvao takes over at Guard, that would complete the Browns OL rebuild. But hopefully, that does not mean that the Browns would be done drafting more OL next year, because Steinbach is nearing the end of his career, with this being his 9th season. The need to continue to place a high priority on drafting OL should continue for another year or two, IMO.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
N
Legend
Legend
N
with the beatings you take in the trenches, you never stop drafting OL.

just look at Pitt...they had a solid OL just a couple years ago, but age and injuries have weakened it while they have been busy drafting WRs and RBs in the top rounds lately (until this year)

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Browns 3rd Round Pick II: Shawn Lauvao (OT)

Link Copied to Clipboard