Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend
We now have two guys with some talent to battle for a safety position. Hopefully one of them can be good enough to start.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You still don't get it. Both of the safeties we drafted are better off at strong safety.

I am not knocking the pick, just trying to make sense of it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

We now have two guys with some talent to battle for a safety position. Hopefully one of them can be good enough to start.

Or..........both can start over Elam, who isn't that good. Our secondary looks like Haden, Wright, Brown at CBs. We probably keep one more corner, McDonald.

Ward, Elam, Asante, Adams (can backup CB also), Ventrone at Safety.

Can we have.......... 8 DBs or is that way too much? I just don't want to lose Mike Adams because he's versatile. And Ventrone is a special teams demon that works with special teams demon Constanzo and Cribbs.

Anyway, yeah, everything i've read says that Ward will play FS. Asante will play SS. Just look at the NFL Draft Ticker, it has the positions listed........

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

You still don't get it. Both of the safeties we drafted are better off at strong safety.

I am not knocking the pick, just trying to make sense of it.

This needs another thread...

WHY????

Why is Ward a better SS than Free???

What's the defined difference in Ryan's D between SS and FS???

Do u expect Asnate to even make this team???

Where's Adams best at???

And DO NOT tell me Brown's gonna be a FS here...That's NOT why he was brought here...With Brown we r now FOUR DEEP at Corner...And THREE r needed virtually 90% of the time...Injuries happen also...

Answer those questions bub...

Go Browns!!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ward's instincts aren't the best playing centerfield on defense, and he is better against the run than pass.

Asante will probably make the team.

Not going to pretend to be an expert here. I really don't know the answer.

Adams is best at free safety, but he isn't good there either.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

And DO NOT tell me Brown's gonna be a FS here...That's NOT why he was brought here...With Brown we r now FOUR DEEP at Corner...And THREE r needed virtually 90% of the time...Injuries happen also...

While you're answering those questions...THINK about what Ryan WANTS to do on D...Not what he HAD to do last year...

The dude wants to bring the house...Just like Rex...How do u do that and not get BURNED off your collective AS*???

COVER SECONDARY...Guys that can be left on an island...With guys behind them covering there as*...WE DID NOT HAVE THAT...Till NOW...

Ward will be the FS on this team DAY ONE...

We didn't even have a TWO DEEP Corner rotation before today...Now we have FOUR...

Go Browns!!!
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

While you're answering those questions...THINK about what Ryan WANTS to do on D...Not what he HAD to do last year...

The dude wants to bring the house...Just like Rex...How do u do that and not get BURNED off your collective AS*???

COVER SECONDARY...Guys that can be left on an island...With guys behind them covering there as*...WE DID NOT HAVE THAT...Till NOW...

Ward will be the FS on this team DAY ONE...

We didn't even have a TWO DEEP Corner rotation before today...Now we have FOUR...

This.

Rob wants to lock down with 3 CB's and get after the QB with all sorts of crazy blitz packages involving many different combination of linebackers and defensive linemen.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That's great and I'm glad we have 4 cornerbacks now. I loved the Sheldon Brown move.

But my point remains. Abe Elam, Larry Asante and T.J. Ward are all at their weakest in pass coverage, and best up close to the line.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I love the fact that this guy LOVES to hit people. We just added some serious attitude to our secondary.

I like this pickup a lot..had Asante on a couple of mocks as backup depth...and it appears the Browns wanted more physical type players..no problem there..

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

That's great and I'm glad we have 4 cornerbacks now. I loved the Sheldon Brown move.

But my point remains. Abe Elam, Larry Asante and T.J. Ward are all at their weakest in pass coverage, and best up close to the line.

To be honest I think we want them playing close to the line, if the Jets are any indication.

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
j/c

My thoughts are that the pick is insurance. Mangini seems to really, really like depth and competition battles for every spot. Ward seems like a great talent, but a reach in the second b/c of his injury history. So hopefully if he stays healthy it's a good pick. Say he can't stay healthy, then Asante comes into play as they are similar players. So we still get another safety which we really need (FS or SS or the theory of just safeties). In the better scenario both stay healthy, and the better one starts. Best case scenario they both progress, stay healthy and force Adams and others off the field. It's a position of need and the FO has just tried hard to fix it. Only time will tell, but I like the move. Makes sense to me.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Guy is a converted linebacker who the Huskers would use as an extra LB in certain schemes. Make no doubt, this kid can hit and stop the run. He'll need some coverage work at the next level for sure.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Quote:

Maybe Ryan wants to blitz a little....

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
my gut reaction is it's an insurance pick in case the injury bug bites ward.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

I know I don't post much but, reading on hear all the time your all knowing attitude is somewhat annoying. Obviously the guys who are getting paid to do this saw something you didn't.

Welcome to our world......

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Welcome to our world......

nordawg

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
To defend Deep a little because I know he catches a lot of crap for his "all-knowing" attitude, I think he is just stating his opinion with conviction and that sometimes (frequently?) that gets misconstrued as condescending. JMO

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

my gut reaction is it's an insurance pick in case the injury bug bites ward.

I completely agree. From the S's left, Asante looked like the best by far to me, I'm guessing Heckert/Mangini agreed with that.

So, they pick him up as a backup SS at worst and if Ward can't stay healthy, then you have a solid backup option.

For this late of a pick, I like it.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
no_logo, I am in agreement. Some of these safety and sec picks happened because we have an overwhelming need. They weren't drafted to be a final solution, so don't judge them on that, especially late rounders. They are here to force performance out of others; if they aren't good enough, then get some new hats in there for them. But pull for them until they fail to produce. Hindsight management has few rewards beyond "I told you so!" Doesn't win games. I am encouraged meself.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Maybe Mangini will use them in running downs and take out one or both in passing. I always wondered about Poole and Jones. From all acounts they were the same guy. But I think they both played free and strong. Plus they were both 2nd round picks. Makes you want to cry.

Legend
Legend
Poole and Jones were distinctly different.. Poole was hands down the better cover guy.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Even he wasn't very good in coverage. Poor instincts hurt him.

I actually think Ward is a bit like Pool. He isn't great in coverage, is a hard hitter (though Pool didn't show that all the time) and is at his best against the run.

Legend
Legend
Poole to me just looked lost in the motion at times.. it was really getting to me..

I say he was the better cover safety b/c he was a lot more athletic, and even filled in at corner when we needed him to.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
O
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
O
Quote:

Good pick... but Reshad Jones would have been even better.

Deep, we agree again they are both rated as a 6.7 pick, but it seems like Jones has a little more upside. Asante has short arms and bad cover skills and can't jump.Also gets lost in play and doesn't have as good recovery time as Jones.

On the other hand Jones has good size, bulk, height and can jump. He also has good top end speed to better recover, he is good in the box and run support and highly competitive.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
By your method we and all other 31 teams should fire the GMs and all the scouts who scout for each team and sit back and log onto nfl.com and see who they have rated higher and make the pick?

I know that isnt true right?

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
For the record, that wasn't me who said that quote.

Legend
Legend
for the record it's 12:30...Go to bed young man!

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The woes of a bad stomach.

Legend
Legend
I hear ya. What pick was your favorite (regardless of position taken) and why?:

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I love the Geathers pick. He has the potential to be an excellent 3-4 defensive end, and in the 6th round nothing is loss if he doesn't turn out. He probably won't contribute at all this year, but in a couple of years he could really be a stud.

I also really like the Hardesty pick. I love taking running backs in the second for one. A lot of good backs end up there, including Ray Rice and Maurice Jones-Drew. Hardesty is actually a complete back which is something we didn't have on the roster. I fully expect him to be getting the majority of the carries by the end of the season.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Can anybody explain why we took Haden over Earl Thomas? We can all see what Palamau ( Pitt S ) and Reed mean to their teams. I can't understand passing this guy up for a CB. The Rule Book has almost made CB's obsolete.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

I can't understand passing this guy up for a CB. The Rule Book has almost made CB's obsolete.

Tell that to Revis island

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

I can't understand passing this guy up for a CB. The Rule Book has almost made CB's obsolete.

I knew somebody would bring up Revis and if Haden is as good as Revis I'll agree.But it seems to me Earl Thomas would be the better pick especially on our Defense.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I knew somebody would bring up Revis and if Haden is as good as Revis I'll agree.But it seems to me Earl Thomas would be the better pick especially on our Defense.

You probably won't be saying that when Thomas ends up at corner...

Thomas is smallish and really isn't near the same thing that Troy P is. He's a ball hawk, someone who can play center field for the Seahawks. Thomas' biggest problem, though, is that he isn't really all that at tackling.

Haden is a typical sized, uber athlete corner who can both cover and tackle. He also has a lot more room to improve so that he'll get much better than he already is, and he can already start for the Browns.

you had a good run Hank.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Obviously they had their reasoning and a plan in place.

It's kind of funny actually when you stop and think about it.

Let's say, oh, six weeks ago. Yeah, let's look at things six weeks ago. At that point in time nearly everybody had us taking either Berry, if he fell, or taking Hayden. Nobody seemed to have much of an issue with it. Seemed like a logical pick with his skill set and where he was rated.

Enter, the media..................................

All of a sudden, due to combine or work-out, I really don't remember which one, Thomas suddenly became a hot commodity and "rose in the rankings". Suddenly his name was popping up everywhere on most message boards as well as the media.

And the opposite was said about Haden because of his 40 time.

At this point, one would beg to question.............................

Does the media and fan base, a work out or "numbers" at the combine change an NFL's big board over a one day event? Does that change the way a "kid plays the game"? Does it change how well a kid fits into your system, your needs and your overall plan?

I say it doesn't. I say they had Haden penciled in in case Berry didn't fall all along. It was based on their plan and how the kid "plays the game".

Just because we the fans combined with the media say this guy is rising or this guy is falling? I doubt most NFL GM's really give a crap about all that. Can't really say I blame them either.

jmho

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
don't discount the trade for Shelden Brown factoring into the equation.

as much as you can note he's on the wrong side of 30 and probably will only be with the Browns for 2-3 years, he did make CB2 go from 'screaming need' to 'need'

so, the thought of a S, which was still 'screaming need' became much more palatable on many people's minds.

i had Haden 3rd on my wishlist since October (after Suh and Berry), so I am definitely not complaining with the pick. it was the correct pick. but, it's not like Earl Thomas isn't a good player as well, which when coupled with our 'screaming need' is the reason many would have preferred him.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Probably because Earl Thomas isn't a top 10 talent.

Legend
Legend
Why are we arguing Haden/Thomas in the Asante thread? I would agree that if Thomas had been there in the 5th, we should have taken him...

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not discounting anything actually. My question to you would be...."Do you believe what our FO says pre-draft?"

Because BEFORE the draft, they claimed Brown most certainly would not be transfered to the S position.

Ya think they just MAY have been sending out a little smoke there?

I saw all along how easy it would be to switch Brown to S and draft Haden. Now that the draft is over, I feel our FO may see it too. Actually I think they saw it all along.

jmho

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
agreed, though we don't really know how good Brown will/could be at FS since he hasn't played it before.

and I love the Haden pick, so I'm not going to care even if he *gasp* is the CB3 to start the year.

but, one thing we should all agree is that our secondary should be much improved.

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Browns 5th Round Pick: Larry Asante S Nebraska

Link Copied to Clipboard