Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
Legend
Legend
N
J/C

LeBron leaves the Cavs and we get over 40 posts on the Browns signing a receiver that originally played for the Pharoahs.

I love the Browns.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

J/C

LeBron leaves the Cavs and we get over 40 posts on the Browns signing a receiver that originally played for the Pharoahs.

I love the Browns.

Just because the "G" on the orange ice bucket now refers to Geritol isn't any reason to go slamming the guy. Heck, we can probably get a senior discount on some hotel rooms for road games.

BTW, who's lebron?

#GMSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
He is 37, he is not 41, he might not be as fast as he once was.

You don't need speed to make a catch behind the line of scrimmage, the Browns play much of their offense behind the line of scrimmage anyway.

I hope they can kill the west coast offense, The west coast offense hasn't won anyting in over 2 decades.

5 catches, is that more or less than Robiskie had last year?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Common guys, where does it point out that Holgram went looking for Bobby, What could have happened is Bobby called up Holgram and asked for one last chance to make a ball club, Having played for Mike Holgram, Mike passed down the info to Heckert, and Heckert looked into it an realized why not, but really, this is a body for training camp..

Legend
Legend
The most likely reason for this IMESHO?

Heckert, Homlgren,and Mangini sat down and thought, "What happens if we get young WRs with a sense of entitlement ala the situation at CB the past few years?

So they brought in a veteran guy to offer some savvy and a little competition. They brought him in to be the pro of the group. No harm, no foul when he gets cut ..... and everyone can talk about what a great influence he was.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
R
All Pro
All Pro
R
Heckert probably had a short list of vets left at this point. all agreed that TO doesnt fit the team chemistry profile wanted for this franchise. crossed him off. next guys ....yada yada then Heckert hey Boss didn't engram play for you? whats your opinion of the players skill and attitude?

Then as another poster already stated, the consensus was probably to bring him in and see what happens throughout camp.

Pretty much everyone one these boards has stated one way or another that we needed a vet in the mix at WR, so I see this as a good thing. If he makes the team, we have the vet. If he doesnt, that's positive for the young guys progress.

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
R
All Pro
All Pro
R
I do agree with the poster who is worried about putting Mitchell on the practice squad. someone with good top end recievers, could swoop him up at the bottom of there roster and sit on him. We may not have that luxury.

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Signing Gary Collins and Paul Warfield would get me more excited and might get better results.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I am completely under-whelmed by the signing of Bobby Engram.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Heckert, Homlgren,and Mangini sat down and thought, "What happens if we get young WRs with a sense of entitlement ala the situation at CB the past few years?

So they brought in a veteran guy to offer some savvy and a little competition. They brought him in to be the pro of the group. No harm, no foul when he gets cut ..... and everyone can talk about what a great influence he was.

Very good point here.

The signing of Engram brings the Browns roster to 74. If all draft picks signed, we'd be up to 81....one over the limit.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Very good point here.

The signing of Engram brings the Browns roster to 74. If all draft picks signed, we'd be up to 81....one over the limit.

Yeah and besides, there is plenty of fodder on the team that could be cut to make room for Engram without compromising anything they are trying to build going forward...

And it's already been said by someone,, there is no guarantee he makes the team anyway..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Any truth to the rumor Pittsbugh & Baltimore disbanded their teams when receiving this news?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Any truth to the rumor Pittsbugh & Baltimore disbanded their teams when receiving this news?

No, but I hear Terry Bradshaw and John Mackey are having tryouts with their old teams

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
What kind of offense did the Buccaneers run? I wonder where Gruden learned his offensive theories...

Or Holmgren himself for that matter...

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

What kind of offense did the Buccaneers run? I wonder where Gruden learned his offensive theories...

Or Holmgren himself for that matter...

and Reid's Eagles and Childress's Vikings haven't had any success in the NFL (though no championships yet).

nope, the WCO is dead

oh, and it could very well be argued that the current 'spread offense' used by NE, Pitt, AZ, et cetera is just a combination of the old run-n-shoot and the WCO (short passes, utilizing RBs, passing instead of running).

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Well the Browns have been talking about the wco for more than a few years up to now, and their offenses have been horrendous! It seems like one handy excuse for anything except what appears innovative or imaginitive, or new and improved, with ingenuity. So spit on the wco, do something that challenges the other team.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Well the Browns have been talking about the wco for more than a few years up to now, and their offenses have been horrendous! It seems like one handy excuse for anything except what appears innovative or imaginitive, or new and improved, with ingenuity. So spit on the wco, do something that challenges the other team.

we have been discussing the WCO on these forums. where have you seen the Browns talking about for "more than a few years up to now"?

butch - didn't run WCO
romeo - didn't run WCO

mangini - ok, NYJ system is a power-running with some WCO elements. hard to say what we ran last year because DA and Quinn not even pretending to play the QB position.

now, with Holmgren as president, we would assume those WCO elements to be emphasized (especially with the Jake and Seneca signing/trading).

so, save that comment for next year at this time. thanks.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

we would assume those WCO elements to be emphasized

And there's been a half dozen articles stating that we're NOT going to be running the WCO.
There will be elements of the WCO brought in, but it will still be the New England style vertical game.

Translation: Combine the WCO with New England's type of O, and then throw in a BUNCH of WildCat and some heavy running.... THAT is our offense.

Hopefully that translates to "Genius in a Melting Pot", and not "Identity Crisis".

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

we would assume those WCO elements to be emphasized

And there's been a half dozen articles stating that we're NOT going to be running the WCO.
There will be elements of the WCO brought in, but it will still be the New England style vertical game.

Translation: Combine the WCO with New England's type of O, and then throw in a BUNCH of WildCat and some heavy running.... THAT is our offense.

Hopefully that translates to "Genius in a Melting Pot", and not "Identity Crisis".

that means Toad = Coach B II

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
j/c

C'mon guys. Bobby Engram. Ever hear of him? Of course you have. We all have. That's because he's had a good NFL career. Even though he's at the end of it now, still, there's a good reason we all know his name and he's stuck for 14 years.

He is a veteran presence. Not a token guy. Veteran presence is what it is. It doesn't mean world beater. It doesn't mean he's slated to be our #1 or #2. Or even that they're expecting much at all come game time. He's a presence as in, "Hey look! There's a guy who's been successful for a long time."

Maybe he runs uber excellent routes and can help our young guys with that. They'll listen to a 14 year vet with a track record like his. Maybe his forte is knowing how to find the open spot in the defense, or maybe his catching skills are beyond question. The thing is, he's been around for 14 years. There's a reason for that. If he has the right personality and mind-set he can really help our young guys if he also has their respect. I'd guess he does even if by name alone.

All this sarcastic talk of "Oh boy, Super Bowl here we come", and the "Meh" comments are just not looking at his value. Likewise, all the talk and speculation regarding who brought him here and if it's only a gift to an old player who needs the money is devaluing him as well. He's a veteran presence.

Likely the team didn't want to spend a lot of money on a veteran who could immediately upgrade the receiving corps. Yeah, that would be nice. But this is the first year of a new regime who aren't kidding themselves that they're going to be highly-competitive yet. We have two second year guys, a rookie and a guy or two who have had no real success at the position at all. The team is likely wanting to see just they they have in these guys before signing a 1st or 2nd tier guy to complete the unit. Still, they need someone who not only has some experience at the position but also some real success. The veteran presence.

Highly doubtful Holmgren is playing with his new position of ultimate responsibility of rebuilding a storied franchise who've set a new precedent in bad luck and futility, (while the eyes of the NFL nation are on him scrutinizing his every move), by giving cash to a washed-up player who can't play and has nothing else to offer. If he tossed Engram some of his personal cash I could see that. But throwing away team money, regardless how little, only to get nothing in return is not the proper path to success. At least I don't think it is and I doubt it is in Holmgren's business plan either.

We needed a veteran presence. There were guys out there. This guy cost too much; that guy can't teach; the other guy is a distraction. We needed someone who can serve as a veteran presence, doesn't cost too much, has the mentality and personality to teach and won't disrupt the locker room. Engram likely fits all the criteria.

Did Holmgren get into the conversation regarding Engram. Of course he did. He coached the player for 8 years. Holmgrem would know his upside and down-sides. Could Holmgren have suggested Engram to Heckert? Possiblity. Pushed for him? Unlikely. Made Heckert bring him in because he owed him a favor or just felt sorry for him? No.

The disrespect I'm seeing on here for Engram is puzzling. He will not only bring a quality veteran presence to the receiving corps but will also help our young receivers with their game and not cost a lot to do it. He's a Perfect Fit. If only one of our receivers takes away from him some things that will get him to the next level then it is money well spent. Bet your ass Joshua Cribbs is going to hanging on Engrams every word because Cribbs wants to be around for 14 years too. Besides, who else is there on the receiving corps to learn from?

I'm glad to have Engram here. He deserves some high level of respect for his 14 years even if he nothing more with this career. Remember, the Browns are not counting on him to take them over the top. That should be obvious. But what they are expecting out of him they will get in aces.

Will he make the roster? I don't know. I guess that depends on if can still actually play. But at least give the guy some respect. He may play a bigger role in the quality of our receivers than any of us can imagine. If he does stick I'm sure that although he won't line up as our #1 or #2 we will find a way to use him on those occasions where you'd like to have the knowledge, experience, savvy, ability and nerves of a 14 year pro to help move the chains.

Welcome to the Browns Bobby Engram. Here's to you bringing everything the Browns hope to get from you and to you having a great time while you're with us.

#gmstrong
C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
The Browns could have signed a better FA WR than Bobby Engram.
He was at the bottom of the desirables list.
the Delhomme to Engram connection.......its screams highlight reel 2010.

Legend
Legend
I just thought of something really funny, ironic, and kinda sad for a particular player .......

Bobby Engram just got hired by an NFL team.

Terrell Owens is still looking for a job. That's gotta be kind of insulting to him.

As far as Engram ..... he's had a couple of good seasons .... and a lot of so-so ones. He's a veteran presence .... but I don't really even see him making the final roster unless we have real headcases at WR now.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

The Browns could have signed a better FA WR than Bobby Engram.
He was at the bottom of the desirables list.
the Delhomme to Engram connection.......its screams highlight reel 2010.

Which one would you rather they sign? and if you say TO,, you'll get laughed off this board.. did you hear what that twit is saying now... his reputation is all the medias fault...LOL What a Maroon.......

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

They got it Half right, Engram brings savy and Little Competition. yet once Engram sees he has little chance of sticking how much mentoring is he going to do for three weeks?

Legend
Legend
All he can get paid for.

Browns is the Browns

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Here's the list of unsigned WR FAs right now according to ESPN

Marty Booker, 12 years
Laveranues Coles, 11 years
Kevin Curtis, 8 years
Justin Jenkins, 4 years
Muhsin Muhammad, 15 years
Terrell Owens, 15 years
David Tyree, 7 years
Javon Walker, 9 years
Kelley Washington, 8 years

That's the full list of available WR FAs. Who else should they have picked up?

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

2010 Dawgtalkers NCAA Bracket Challenge Champ!!
1st String
1st String
I don't know that any of those guys would have brought what (I think) we need in the WR corps, which is a reliable ball catcher, a third-down type a la JJ. Only name on that list that I might have had an interest in is Coles, but I haven't followed him lately and have no idea how far his play has fallen off.

The rest of those guys seem cut from the same cloth we already have enough of: good athletes with questionable consistency catching the football. Add in Engram's familiarity with Holmgren and I think it's no surprise he's the one we went for.

[Linked Image from i26.tinypic.com]
C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
Kevin Curtis,easy....he's younger than Engram and if he's healthy would be a upgrade over Robiskie....Curtis has always had really good hands and not too bad in the YAC department.
Plus he's had experiance in the WCO system.

1st String
1st String
Hasn't he missed like 20+ games in two years? And I'm pretty sure the most recent injury was to his knee. Not a good sign.

[Linked Image from i26.tinypic.com]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Thanks Dubs for putting my exact thoughts in writing. I find it funny how anybody this team picks up, FOR ANY REASON, is bashed and belittled.

A guy like this doesn't stick around the league being a bum. Too many here think every move is designed to put the team over the top. The guy Mangini brought in last year, can't remember his name, was the same type player. Consumate professional who can mentor the young talent. I don't think Engram believes he is the answer for any team, and is just looking for a shot to make a team. I would bet that Holmgren understands the kind of help this guy could be to the young guys.

Like you said, his name is easily recognized, there is a reason for that. I'm glad he is here, and I hope that his professionalism rubs off on the young guys.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Given that Curtis was just released by Philly, I'm going to trust Heckert's choice to not sign him over your thoughts on the issue. Call me crazy, but I think he might have a better clue

One would think that you might have looked at Curtis and thought to yourself, "hmmm... I wonder if there is a reason our GM, who just came from that team, didn't go after a guy he knows".

Browns is the Browns

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Given that Curtis was just released by Philly, I'm going to trust Heckert's choice to not sign him over your thoughts on the issue. Call me crazy, but I think he might have a better clue

One would think that you might have looked at Curtis and thought to yourself, "hmmm... I wonder if there is a reason our GM, who just came from that team, didn't go after a guy he knows".

dangit Purp, you beat me to the easy logic.

#gmstrong
H
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
H
Quote:

Camp player/coach. No harm. Maybe he does the young-uns some good.

This.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Browns receiver Bobby Engram's one-year deal has base salary of $855,000
by Nate Ulrich on July 12, 2010

in Bobby Engram,Cleveland Browns,NFL

Updated previous post at 11:46 a.m.

The Browns signed veteran wide receiver Bobby Engram, the team announced Thursday.

Engram's one-year deal is worth a base salary of $855,000, according to the NFL Players Association. Engram did not receive a signing bonus, a league source said.

Engram, 37, has started 113 of the 176 games in which he has played during his 14-year professional career. He has compiled 650 career receptions for 7,751 receiving yards and 35 touchdowns.

Engram was drafted by the Chicago Bears in the second round (52nd overall) of the 1996 draft. He played with the Bears before moving on to the Seattle Seahawks (2001-08) and the Kansas City Chiefs (2009). His most productive season came in 2007, when he had 94 catches for 1,147 yards and six touchdowns.

http://www.ohiomm.com/blogs/browns/2010/...lary-of-855000/

E
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
E
Not exactly breaking the bank there. Engram will bring the team the veteran presence that many people have wanted in our WR corps. I don't know if he will be much of a difference maker but maybe he can teach some of these younger players some tricks of the trade to get them a step or two ahead. Its not like we need Engram to step in and be the #1 guy. If he makes the team I see him, tops, #4 on the WR hierarchy MAYBE #3... I'm pretty sure MoMass, Robo and Stuckey will be our top 3 guys.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Thanks Dubs for putting my exact thoughts in writing. I find it funny how anybody this team picks up, FOR ANY REASON, is bashed and belittled.

A guy like this doesn't stick around the league being a bum. Too many here think every move is designed to put the team over the top. The guy Mangini brought in last year, can't remember his name, was the same type player. Consumate professional who can mentor the young talent. I don't think Engram believes he is the answer for any team, and is just looking for a shot to make a team. I would bet that Holmgren understands the kind of help this guy could be to the young guys.

Like you said, his name is easily recognized, there is a reason for that. I'm glad he is here, and I hope that his professionalism rubs off on the young guys.

" Too many here think every move is designed to put the team over the top."

That is a valid point. If Engram can provide depth, then the team is better.

Flip side: b/c of his age he will be here for one year only. Is that roster spot better spent on a younger player that could possibly develop into a WR that will be here for more than one year?

Engram likely will be competing for the 5th WR spot behind Robo, MoMass, Stuckey and Cribbs.

his competition: Mitchell, Allen, Haggerty and Steptoe.
b/c of his return skills, I'm pulling for Steptoe

I'm also not certain of the value of a "veteran presence". Ken Dorsey was a "veteran presence" too.

Most of the negativity is about his age,not his past performance, unless I'm having another senior moment.

Legend
Legend
Pretty much exactly as many of us thought.... that's a tryout contract for veteran minimum money.
We're throwing him a bone, giving him a shot to show something in camp. Either he steps up or his season ends in August.

Browns is the Browns

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Bobby Engram a Brown

Link Copied to Clipboard