Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Bengals coach Marvin Lewis is expected to remain with Cincinnati, a team source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The two sides expect to resolve any issues within the next 24 hours.

On Monday, Lewis told owner Mike Brown what needs to change for him to consider staying in Cincinnati, where he's had two winning records in eight seasons. The Bengals completed their worst season under Lewis, finishing 4-12 with a loss in Baltimore on Sunday.

Neither Lewis nor Brown would discuss their meeting. Brown said through a team spokesman that a resolution could come as soon as Tuesday.

Lewis wants changes in how the organization operates, including more control over roster decisions. He also has lobbied years for a covered practice field -- the Bengals are the only northern NFL team without one. Lewis turned down an extension last season, saying their differences had to be resolved before he would agree to stay.

A 13-7 loss in Baltimore on Sunday ended the final season on his contract. Brown evidently wanted to keep Lewis -- a firing would have happened quickly Monday if the owner wanted change.

"I think he wants to be back, and I think everybody wants him back," safety Chris Crocker said. "But it's going to be a decision between him and ownership. One thing is when you lose and you don't have a good season, something changes. You don't know what's going to change."

Lewis presided over standard end-of-the-season meetings with players and his assistant coaches Monday, making sure not to tip his hand about his intentions.

"He always handles his own business and keeps it to himself," left tackle Andrew Whitworth said. "It really was just a normal exit meeting. He didn't really get on the subject."

The Bengals have only two winning records in the 20 years since Brown took over the team. They went 15 years between playoff appearances before Lewis led them to a division title in 2005. He was coach of the year last season for getting the Bengals to the playoffs again.

The playoff appearances were more of an anomaly, and Lewis wants to change how the front office works to get the organization on solid footing. The Bengals have never won back-to-back division titles.

In most other NFL cities, there would be no discussion of keeping a coach with two winning records in eight seasons. Lewis works for an owner who doesn't like change and was willing to offer him with an extension last year. His overall record in Cincinnati is 60-69-1.

link

Last edited by brownsfansince79; 01/04/11 12:19 PM.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
Say it ain't so Marv... Say it ain't so...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You can laugh at the Bungles all you want but at least they don't change their GM/coach/QB every 2 years. Sad day when we actually have to look UP to that franchise.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
However, their GM/President ain't anyone to be looking up to.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

You can laugh at the Bungles all you want but at least they don't change their GM/coach/QB every 2 years. Sad day when we actually have to look UP to that franchise.

According to the standings we don't look up to them.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Wow, Rex Ryan has a foot fetish and Marvin Lewis is into sadism.

F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

On Monday, Lewis told owner Mike Brown what needs to change for him to consider staying in Cincinnati

Anyone think it was "For you Mike, to stay out of my side of the business."

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
... and have their results looked ALL that different from ours since 1999? Continuity for continuity's sake isn't the answer either and the Bengals are proof of that.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
I don't understand Marvin's stance on staying...

Take a year of, refresh, find a better company to work for, He'd be top of the list of HCs...

Why stay there and start over? As it seems they are doing...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Stay Marvin..stay in that hole down there.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Or, you could realize that continuity just for the sake of continuity doesn't work either.

The fact that you look UP to the Bengals should tell you that you need to rethink your stance.

*BTW, Quick hint, we usually don't change coaches every two years. At least not under Randy Learner.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Or, you could realize that continuity just for the sake of continuity doesn't work either.

The fact that you look UP to the Bengals should tell you that you need to rethink your stance.

*BTW, Quick hint, we usually don't change coaches every two years. At least not under Randy Learner.

Plamer got 2
Butch/Robiskie got 4
Romeo got 4
Mangini got 2

4 Coaches, 12 years, That's an average of one every 3!

Take that!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't understand Marvin's stance on staying...

Take a year of, refresh, find a better company to work for, He'd be top of the list of HCs...

Why stay there and start over? As it seems they are doing...

He stays a HC of an NFL team, he gets paid like an NFL HC, he still has a "franchise QB" on his roster (though, Palmer's looked pretty bad recently), and he has a chance to rid himself of T.O. and Chad.

Plus, if there's a work stoppage next year....he still gets paid as the HC for doing nothing.

Plus, there's no guarantee he vaults to the top of the HC candidate list either. He may have to spend time as a defensive coordinator again. That could mean 2-4 years before his next chance.

If I was him, I'd stay on too.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

There is no reason to look up to that franchise, they're one of the worst run in all of sports. They don't even have a GM... Mike Brown runs the team... and this has nothing to do with continuity. It has something to do with 2 simple factors:

1) Mike Brown knows that no one more qualified than Marvin wants to work for him or his organization.
2) Marvin knows that he's not going to get a head coaching job anywhere else.

Marvin actually had HIS people call the 49ers to ask about the coaching vacancy. When your guys are reaching out asking about jobs, it reeks of desperation. Odds are he put feelers out there, found no one was seriously interested and went back to the one job he could get. The big problem with Cincy anyway is Mike Brown and his penny pinching ways. I highly doubt the franchise gets anywhere while he's still in charge.

We're... we're good?
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
If there was a coach that needed to be fired,..he was it. You wanna see what it takes to be a joke franchise in this league?

Just look at those Ohio teams.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

... and have their results looked ALL that different from ours since 1999? Continuity for continuity's sake isn't the answer either and the Bengals are proof of that.

Exactly....

yebat' Putin
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exactly....

Good thing we never hired Matt Millen to run the franchise. Some of these people would be wanting to keep him for the sake of continuity as well. How'd that work out for Detroit?

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
I think Lewis is staying on for a couple that aren't being mentioned.
1..the Bengals played hard despite the losses and down strech stayed with the Saints,Colts for 4 quarters.
Unlike the Browns the Bengals didn't quit on their coach.

2.Cincy had a monster draft in 2010 which should pay off dividends in the future.
Jordan Shipley did good in the slot. Greshem lived up to his 1st RD status
Carlos Dunlap had 9.5 sacks and didn't even start...

now all our Browns gotta do is find a coach for 8 plus years.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

WOW. I'll take a franchise in which Lerner has handed the reigns to Holmgren over Mike friggin' Brown any and every day. Mike Brown only needs Al Davis to pass on to become the worst owner in the league hands down.

You may be angry at the moment, but you do NOT mean what you said. Trust me. . . .

N
Legend
Legend
N
I don't know. Dan Snyder is trying awfully hard to be in the conversation as worst owner.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think Lewis is staying on for a couple that aren't being mentioned.
1..the Bengals played hard despite the losses and down strech stayed with the Saints,Colts for 4 quarters.
Unlike the Browns the Bengals didn't quit on their coach.

We did that last year too...

Quote:

2.Cincy had a monster draft in 2010 which should pay off dividends in the future.
Jordan Shipley did good in the slot. Greshem lived up to his 1st RD status
Carlos Dunlap had 9.5 sacks and didn't even start...

By all accounts we had a great draft too.

yebat' Putin
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Quote:

Exactly....

You also need to know when to fold. I would hope you wouldn't maintain continuity just for the sake of it.

C
Legend
Legend
C
No way T.O. and Ochocinco come back if Lewis returns.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

I don't know. Dan Snyder is trying awfully hard to be in the conversation as worst owner.

This is true. . . .

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Exactly....

You also need to know when to fold. I would hope you wouldn't maintain continuity just for the sake of it.

I agree with that too... It just takes more than 1 coach... the Steelers aren't who they are because they got lucky and hired 3 back to back football geniuses in Noll, Cowher, and Tomlin... they are who they are because all of the other things around that coach are right. Anybody think if Caldwell had gone to the Lions that they would be going to the playoffs this year? No, but the Colts had a ton of other pieces already in place...

it takes SOOOOOOOO many things to get to that level, and they all have to happen at about the right time... I just find it funny when people think that just changing coaches... or just sticking with a coach... or even picking just the right coach.... is the reason some teams succeed and others fail...

yebat' Putin
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

Well, that's a positive.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

Supposedly both nameplates on their lockers were already removed yesterday when reporters did final interviews.

I could see Ochocinco landing in New England and having a few Randy Moss type years.

Legend
Legend
j/c in for a general reply,...It would appear to me Lewis is "sticking it out" as some kind of manly honor gig,...but there are also personnel problems that were out of his control. The Bengals have not been real helpful to Marvin in keeping those to a minimum.

I also think our egos just get in the way sometimes,...he probably could have been better served to have stayed with the Ravens as their DC.

Just a coupla' rambles,....

J
Legend
Legend
J
YAY!!!

M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Quote:

The kind of consistency the bungles have isn't the kind of consistency we want. Consistency for the sake of consistency doesn't help anyone.

Gotta say I'm a bit shocked that he's still there.

"All I know is, as long as I led the Southeastern Conference in scoring, my grades would be fine." - Charles Barkley
O
Legend
Legend
O
Not sure if this was posted anywhere, but Lewis is officially staying in Cinci...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81...le=HP_headlines

I love how you can tell they both don't believe what they're saying.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Records since 1999:

Bengals 77-114-1 .403 2 division titles
Browns 64-128-0 .333 0 division titles

You guys were saying??

Believe me I think it's sad they're a better organization than us too.

[Linked Image]

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

You may be angry at the moment, but you do NOT mean what you said. Trust me. . . .

Actually unfortunately I do. We will never NEVER be competitive if we continue to replace our QB literally EVERY YEAR on top of firing the coach every 3 years as well as the GM.

What happens when Holmgren hires *insert name here* next year, but then we only win 3 games? What happens when we realize Colt McCoy is who everyone thought he was? That being a smart, mobile, accurate QB with a noodle for an arm who was a 3rd round draft pick for a reason...aka Charlie Frye 2.0.

If you want to see something scary compare Colt's 2010 season with Charlie's 2006 season. Their numbers are so identical it's eerie.

I'll tell you what is going to happen, we'll draft ANOTHER QB in 2012. And then we'll suck again the next year because we'll have a rookie QB. Then guess what? The *insert name here* coach will get fired because he won't have won enough games in 2 years. By the time we hire coach 437 it'll be time for Joe Thomas to be a free agent where he'll surely want to sign elsewhere and Holmgren's time will be up. That's if the Cleveland mob doesn't call for his head before the 5 years are up too.

No, no as bad as Mike Brown and the Bungles are, I really do think they're a better run organization than this tragedy.

[Linked Image]

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Your Browns? How are they your Browns when you are a Bungles fan ImpactPlaya?You got banned as ImpactPlaya and come back as Captain Frank and pretend to be a Browns fan.Don't deny it cause you and I both know it's true.

Legend
Legend
Rut Row,...

F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

Quote:

Records since 1999:

Bengals 77-114-1 .403 2 division titles
Browns 64-128-0 .333 0 division titles

You guys were saying??

Believe me I think it's sad they're a better organization than us too.

They have won 13 more games over a period of 11 years, during which we started as an expansion team... Wow....I wish we had consistency like they do.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd have loved to reunite Marvin and Billick here....

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

we actually have to look UP to that franchise.

I got an idea for you. Why don't you go root for the Bangals.

I look up to NO team. One day when the Browns win it all everyone around me will know I have always been A Browns fan and not a bandwagon jumper. The Browns are the only team I care about in any sport at any level. Someday it will turn around. The problem is some people are to young to remember the Browns use to be feared.

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Your Browns? How are they your Browns when you are a Bungles fan ImpactPlaya?You got banned as ImpactPlaya and come back as Captain Frank and pretend to be a Browns fan.Don't deny it cause you and I both know it's true.

Wow....he's been outed. I can't understand why it's so important for fans of other teams to post here. If this is true, he's definitely not the first to do this.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

If this is true

Oh it's true alright.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Source: Marvin Lewis staying in Cinci

Link Copied to Clipboard