Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Legend
Legend
Quote:

In fact, the more that I think about it, the more that I feel that - regardless of who is sitting there at 6 - we should trade down if we can. We have enough needs that the extra picks are of greater value than any single player could be.

O-line can't score points.. I'm glad ur not the GM b/c our offense would be horrid.

If we can't pull a top notch WR through Free Agency, we need to get the best in the draft...

The best in the draft know how to run routes, know how to position themselves to make plays, etc.. and that is why they are drafted high.

Your reason for not drafting a WR can be said for drafting an offensive lineman too. There is a learning curve for them as well regardless of position.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

We need to address o-line through Free Agency until we can afford to do so in the draft..

As of right now, we need defense and WR's.. We have 3 gems on the o-line now, bringing in a guy with experience in the NFL IMO would be the best thing to do.

Just on a tangent here, but I wish you couldn't put TN after Memphis.

Memphis is about as far from Tennessee as it gets.

JMO.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
lol.. yea.. i think that everytime I drive back to Georgia to visit.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

O-line can't score points.. I'm glad ur not the GM b/c our offense would be horrid.

Apparently, you didn't see the Pro Bowl, lol.
On a serious note, three things:
1. In case you didn't notice, our offense IS horrid, it can't get worse
2. We NEED to fix the right side of the line long-term.. it has been a sieve since we lost Tucker.
3. OLine scores ALL of the points... without them doing their thing every single play, without rotations, without substitutions, whether we're passing or running - nobody goes anywhere.

Quote:

If we can't pull a top notch WR through Free Agency, we need to get the best in the draft...

The best in the draft know how to run routes, know how to position themselves to make plays, etc.. and that is why they are drafted high.

Your reason for not drafting a WR can be said for drafting an offensive lineman too. There is a learning curve for them as well regardless of position.

Really? Tell that to all the 1st round bust WR's over the past several years. Most are drafted that high on the eyeball test and 40 times.... if they're 6' 4" and 220 lbs. with a fast 40, they're a lock to go high, and nobody ever looks at their route running or hands.
There are more stud WR's from the Late 1st/2nd round on in this league than "Top WR in the Draft" types.

Either way, it's all moot until after Free Agency.

If we can get a premier WR there that actually knows what he's doing on the field, then we don't even need to think about taking one high... we just need to take a second one that can play.
If we cannot get a premier WR in free agency, then we pretty much have no choice and our hand is almost forced.

In either case, I'm still 100% perfectly content trading down to the middle of the first and taking Carimi or a LB or a DE as well as at least one other early round player and possible a few later round guys, depending on what we could get for that trade down.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
With Free agency likely to begin after the draft, it could really add the value of picks especially with the possiblity of a rookie wage scale.

I would have to get a lot to trade down in this draft.

top tier
Dareus, Fairley, Green and Peterson

notch below them
Gabbert, Miller, Bowers and the high risk Quinn

Next tier would probably be Ayers, Amukamara, Mark Ingram, Nate Solder and Julio Jones beyond this I dont see a whole lot of difference in the next 30-50 guys.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

With Free agency likely to begin after the draft,

WHAT???????????????????????????

Fill me in...Show me a linky dink to that...

Are u saying the draft goes on in April regardless of a new CBA???

Go Browns!!!
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
The draft will still be held in April. Teams just won't be able to negotiate contracts with their drafted players until a new CBA is in place.

Legend
Legend
yea....

so i believe the drafts will continue to take place regardless.. the team will have the rights to that player..

so we could have a 2011 draft, a 2012 draft, etc.. even though no CBA has been put into place. That scenario would be horrible for diehard NFL fans, but come the 2012 season, I think the dynamics of the good teams vs. bad teams could change if something like that were to happen though bc the vets would be a couple years older..

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

The draft will still be held in April. Teams just won't be able to negotiate contracts with their drafted players until a new CBA is in place.

SWEET...I was not aware of the ramifications for the draft...

STOKED AGAIN...Thanks...

Go Browns!!!
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I would much rather use the draft for BPA and I think that can be hard if we have a ton of glaring needs that we would otherwise fill in FA though ... I hope it gets done soon. Like a few of the sports-casters said I just don't care anymore .. it's millionaires arguing with billionaires

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Derek Sherrod is my top rated (LT) at the moment. I think he will be a better fit on the week side, because he is not really a powerful finish blocker in the running game.

Gabe Carimi is I think the best RT prospect who could also play LT, but he of coarse would not be required to start on the week side with a healthy JT if we drafted him.

Nate Solder is over hyped imo and like 'feather weight' Tyron Smith they are being projected high on potential alone.
I am not a fan of drafting a prospect high in the draft based on potential alone.

At times Solder looks good and other times he looks down right lousy and has a big problem redirecting to his right.
It's likely that some teams will draft them in the 1st round.
I hope our Browns are not one of them.

Anthony Castonzo had a poor showing at the Senior Bowl and could possibly fall out of the 1st round
[Tier 3, 21-30]
FYI... the term [Tier] in reference to the NFL Draft is in blocks of 10.

None of the above are 1st or even 2nd Tier prospects imo, but I can almost guarantee both Derek Sherrod and Gabe Carimi will be gone by the time we pick again at 37 in the second round.

If we don't trade down in the 1st, then I can't think of another scenario that would have us drafting an OT in the first two rounds.

There will be better value for the position in rounds 3 and 4 then reaching for one with our first two picks imo.

^James Carpenter - Alabama
Clint Boling - Georgia
James Brewer - Indiana
DeMarcus Love - Arkansas
(Did anyone hurt their draft stock more at the Senior Bowl?)
Jason Pinkston - Pittsburgh
Christian Hairston - Clemson (could be a sleeper).

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
FYI The Tier isn't a set number but a group of the same level of perceived talent. If Locker was in this draft he would be Tier 1 all by himself.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Luck.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
thanks its one of those days were names dont come easy lol started with an L anyway lol

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

FYI The Tier isn't a set number but a group of the same level of perceived talent. If Locker was in this draft he would be Tier 1 all by himself.

Yes it is, because it refers to prospects as a 'whole' and not by position.

Its not a positional ranking like 1-10.

Even if Locker was the highest rated QB this year, he still would not be in the 1st Tier of prospects.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If i had hair i would have pulled it out by now lol Its a group of similar levels of talent, it has nothing to do with position and or number. This is how some teams look at their draft board. They may have 1 player in a tier all to themselves while the next tier will consist of 7 or 8 players. Then when decision time comes they look at what is left in that group and often then go for highest level of need considering they have already placed those prospects as even.

other teams rate each individual prospect top to bottom and do their best to stick to that chart.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Tiers are used because simply saying a prospects draft range is such and such round is pretty vague, so it's a way of further dividing them up.
So if you say we like so and so in the second tier of the 2nd round....what you are really saying is that their value is from the 41st selection to the 50th selection.
Of coarse no two draft boards are exactly the same.

A positional Tier or ranking really does not put a value on a specific portion of the draft, because all positions are not factored in.

[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Offseason To- Do List: O-Line

Link Copied to Clipboard