Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
I am looking forward to Nevada linebacker Dontay Moch showing his physical prowess. At 6'1 240 he supposedly runs a sub 4.2..that's right sub 4.2 forty. Should be interesting to see what he actually runs.

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Thanks for the links, Brownoholic! Time to go to work . . . .

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

2011 Pro Day
Date/College:

March 3

Baylor

Florida Atlantic

Tulane

March 4

Alabama State

Troy

Weber State

March 7

Arkansas Tech

Central Arkansas

Tuskegee

March 8

Alabama A&M

Arkansas

Fordham

Liberty

Northwestern

Prairie View A&M

March 9

Alabama

BYU

California-Davis

California

Clark-Atlanta

Colorado State

Georgia Tech

Kent State

Mississippi State

North Texas

Northern Colorado

Portland State

March 10

Nebraska

Northern Illinois

March 11

Eastern Illinois

Idaho

Jackson State

Ohio State

Southern Miss

TCU

Tennessee

March 14

LSU

Newberry

Wake Forest

March 15

Bowling Green

Montana State

Towson

March 16

Arkansas-Monticello

Florida A&M

Illinois

James Madison

Louisiana-Monroe

Marshall

Maryland

Michigan State

Penn State

Virginia Union

March 17

Virginia

Virginia Tech

West Virginia

March 18

Arkansas State

Northwestern State (La.)

March 21

North Dakota State

March 22

South Dakota State

March 23

Boston College

Central Florida

Louisville

North Carolina State

Texas State

March 24

Middle Tennessee State

Southern Illinois

March 25

Arizona State

Ball State

March 28

Central Missouri

Cincinnati

Citadel

Missouri Western

Northwest Missouri State

Rice

March 29

Coastal Carolina

March 30

New Mexico State

March 31

Eastern Washington

[Linked Image]

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Question ... are pro days able to be watched anywhere? I don't think so but you never know.

And do you have to have the NFL network to watch the combine? Can you stream it online?

J/W

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
On NFL.com it says you can follow the combine on NFL.com and NFL Network, but it doesn't say if it will stream on their site or not.

Joe Thomas made Justin Timberlake change his name. He didn't want wusses to have the same initials...

Dawg Talker since 3/26/2005...
C
Legend
Legend
C
Isn't their site NFL.com?

Anyway, last year they had full coverage on the .com.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Great. Thanks guys ... I dont watch everything but it's pretty interesting trying to watch some of the 40's ... some of the qb's making the throws ... I absolutely love watching WR's and DB's doing the 225 bench ...

thinking that a guy around 185 can put up 225 around 15 to 20 times just makes me laugh when the ncaa thinks it only takes 20 hours per week to prepare a D1 athlete. I know of players (only a handful ... and voluntarily of course) who might spend close to 20 hours per week just in the weightroom / doing plyos and in the ice tub. Not even counting other physical therapy, team meetings, scouting reports, film .... oh yeah and a thing called practice ...

I also think it's amazing that some of these OLine and Dline men show how incredibly strong they are. The record stands at 51 reps by Justin Ernest out of Eastern Kentucky on the 225 ... dont think it will be broken this year but wouldn't be surprised if a few players got close ..

@pstu24
C
Legend
Legend
C
The highlight of the combine, as it always is, will be Rich Eisen's 40.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am looking forward to seeing who runs the fastest 40. Derek Locke or Dontay Moch. I expect both to be sub 4.3 and the Browns to be looking hard at both as we try to get speed on both sides of the ball.

Favorite event is the DB drills. There is a couple late round projects that are going to shoot up the boards after this.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Favorite event is the DB drills. There is a couple late round projects that are going to shoot up the boards after this.

Yes! This right here. I remember being intrigued by Eric Wright after hearing his story and how he had been recruited to USC and then watching him at the combine being like "WOW! He's the best in this draft we'll have a shot at" Neon Deion said "Who is that?" Right then I was hoping he'd be our 2nd round pick if he was still on the board. I don't remember if Revis was at the combine or not. I think it can be argued that outside Revis he is the best corner from that draft (Hall, Ross, Houston, McDonald), and that's saying a lot.

This is also one of the best times for evaluating conversion 4-3 DEs to 3-4 OLBs, which obviously isn't as relevant to us now as it has been in the past. I remember it was during the LB drills that I moved rating Matthews as my trade-down target for us to taking him no matter what, even at #5.

I think Moch should do really well in the LB drills, but there's nothing else that can answer any of my criticisms for him. His play recognition is awful he doesn't shed blocks. He avoided one well in the shrine game to make a play out wide but that's more of the exception than the rule to me.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
General question: do you guys think a bar would televise the combine? I might have to go out with my buddy who's a big draftnik and since TW doesn't offer the NFL Network that's my only option.

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
C
Legend
Legend
C
It's on NFL.com.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
You can always ask. I know BW-3 will usually change the channel for you if there isn't some big local game on TV. Of course, they have a LOT of TVs.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

The highlight of the combine, as it always is, will be Rich Eisen's 40.

Agreed

Especially when the over-dub his with the biggest, fattest, slowest athlete. Maybe the best 12 seconds on NFL network every year.

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/ScoutingCombine/Buzz.php

Scouting Combine Buzz
by Scott Wright of Draft Countdown

Friday (2/25) @ 3:30pm Central

Wideouts Weigh In

• Everyone is much more excited to see the wide receivers run on Sunday than get measured and weighed today. However, it was still interesting to get some verified numbers on the top underclassmen pass catchers. The headliner of the group is Georgia’s A.J. Green, who checked in at 6-3⅝ and 211 pounds. Alabama’s Julio Jones, who most consider to be the second best wideout prospect in this class, weighed 220 pounds but was a little shorter than the 6-4 he was listed at in college at 6-2¾. Pittsburgh’s Jon Baldwin was every bit the impressive physical specimen everyone anticipated, coming in at 6-4⅜ and 228 pounds with huge 10⅛-inch hands. Maryland’s Torrey Smith was 6-0⅞ and 204 pounds and Kentucky’s Randall Cobb was 5-10¼ and 191 pounds. Finally, Troy’s Jerrel Jernigan, who we didn’t have official measurements on because he missed the Senior Bowl with an injury, was 5-8⅞ with a solid, RB-esque build at 185 pounds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday (2/25) @ 2:00pm Central

Running to the Weigh-In

• The running backs had their weigh-in this morning and there were a number of notable results. The cream of this year’s crop is Mark Ingram of Alabama, who checked in at 5-9⅛ and 215 pounds. Mikel LeShoure of Illinois, who could be the second runner off the board, came in at 5-11⅝ and 227 pounds, Virginia Tech’s Ryan Williams was 5-9⅜ and has bulked up to 212 pounds and UConn’s Jordan Todman was 5-8⅞ and 203 pounds. Clemson’s Jamie Harper was down to 233 pounds after weighing 249 pounds at the end of the season and Kansas State’s Daniel Thomas was 6-0¼ and 230 pounds. Meanwhile on the other end of the spectrum Oregon State’s Jacquizz Rodgers (5-5⅞) and Pittsburgh’s Dion Lewis (5-6⅝) were very short but thickly built at 196 pounds and 193 pounds respectively.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday (2/25) @ 1:00pm Central

Star Power is in Town

• Things are heating up in Indy, with the quarterbacks hitting town. Everyone has been waiting to get verified measurables on the three underclassmen signal callers and today's the day. Missouri's Blaine Gabbert checked in at 6-4⅜ and 234 pounds, Auburn's Cam Newton was 6-5 and 248 pounds while Arkansas' Ryan Mallett was 6-6¾ and 253 pounds. As of now it sounds like every quarterback plans to work out and throw this weekend except for Gabbert, who is opting to wait for his Pro Day.

Thursday (2/24) @ 6:30pm Central

More Day One Weigh-In Notes

• Teams got verified measurables on most of the top offensive lineman at last month's all-star games. Still, there were a handful of blockers who weren't able to participate due to injuries so today was the first opportunity to check them out up close. Villanova's Ben Ijalana was forced to drop out of the Senior Bowl due to a sports hernia, which will also prevent him from working out in Indy, but even though the small school gem lacks the ideal height that you look for in a tackle at 6-3⅝ and 317 pounds he has extraordinarily long 36-inch arms. After reportedly playing at as much as 375 pounds as a senior, many were wondering what TCU's Marcus Cannon would tip the scales at in Indy and he came in at a relatively svelte 358 pounds. Despite carrying all of that weight, Cannon is a fantastic athlete who is expected to stand out in the positional drills. Finally, Orlando Franklin from Miami (FL) just recently recovered from post-season surgery to repair an MCL injury but he weighed in at 6-5½ and 316 pounds with 35-inch arms, which should reaffirm the notion that he could project to either tackle or guard at the next level. At tight end, Notre Dame's Kyle Rudolph is widely regarded to be the top player available at his position and he checked in at 6-6½ and 259 pounds with 10¾-inch hands. Rudolph is still recovering from a serious hamstring injury and won't work out in Indy, but word is there's a strong chance he'll be able to showcase his talents for teams at some point prior to Draft Day. The other player of note at tight end was Weslye Saunders of South Carolina, who didn't play in 2010 after being suspended. Saunders is certainly big (6-5⅛ / 270 pounds) but was reportedly far from chiseled.

Thursday (2/24) @ 4:30pm Central

Let the Hype Begin!

• USC OT Tyron Smith was only listed at 280 pounds by the Trojans this past season. However, for two months I have been telling people not to worry and that with a solid pre-draft training program Smith would be up over 300 pounds by the Scouting Combine. Sure enough, Smith checked in at a cut 307 pounds in Indy. Even more impressive were Smith's extremely long 36⅜-inch arms and massive 11-inch hands. Needless to say Smith passed the eyeball test! Smith took a big step towards his goal of being the first blocker selected in the 2011 NFL Draft today and if he performs as well as expected in drills the Top 10 overall could be within reach.

Thursday (2/24) @ 4:00pm Central

What's On Tap

• Here's a look at the 2011 Scouting Combine schedule:

Prospect Arrivals

2/23 - Day 1 Arrivals: Grp 1 (PK, ST, OL), Grp 2 (OL), Grp 3 (TE)
2/24 - Day 2 Arrivals: Grp 4 (QB, WO), Grp 5 (QB, WO), Grp 6 (RB)
2/25 - Day 3 Arrivals: Grp 7 (DL), Grp 8 (DL), Grp 9 (LB)
2/26 - Day 4 Arrivals: Grp 10 (DB), Grp 11 (DB)

On-Field Workouts

Saturday - Kickers, Offensive Linemen, Tight Ends
Sunday - Quarterbacks, Wide Receivers, Running Backs
Monday - Linebackers, Defensive Line
Tuesday - Defensive Backs

Thursday (2/24) @ 3:00pm Central

It Is Officially On!

• The 2011 National Invitational Camp (a.k.a. the NFL Scouting Combine) is officially underway in Indianapolis, IN. The players won’t actually start hitting the field for workouts until Saturday but for the time being I will post and comment on some notable weigh-in results and also pass along any rumors or buzz that I come across. Be sure to stop back often between now and next Tuesday for all the latest!

In the meantime here is a list of all of the prospects who received invites this year: http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/ScoutingCombine/Results.php

Results so far: http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/ScoutingCombine/Results.php

Legend
Legend
They said John Clay of Wisconsin weighed in at 230.. and he is normally like 240-250.. Looks like he is FINALLY trying to get in shape b/c this guy is a beast.

Too bad he won't fit in a WCO. Speaking of WCO, Noel Devine weighed in at 179. He has speed for days, and should be there in the 5th/6th round.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
C
Legend
Legend
C
Marcus Gilbert and Nate Solder impressed me the most out of the o-line guys.

Also, Jordan Cameron, tight end from USC.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Marcus Gilbert and Nate Solder impressed me the most out of the o-line guys.

Also, Jordan Cameron, tight end from USC.

How so?

[Linked Image]

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I would agree with everything you said. I've been hoping we get Gilbert, but he had a great senior bowl and is looking good so far in the combine - he'll be gone before I had him in my mock. (I had Jordan Cameron too, but more of a joke than anything because I had us taking Cameron Jordan in round 1)

And strictly from a numbers perspective, both Virgil Green's and Ryna Bartholamew's numbers were darn good.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I didn't watch it all, and they're spending too much time with the talking heads instead of showing drills. From what they've shown, numbers for the guys are all good, and from my perspective they were the best 2 on the mirror drill. I didn't get to see much more than that, but OL is on again now.

Gilbert looked good in the pull drill too. Didn't see Solder.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Sounds like Mallett had a terrible press conference.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Didn't Nate Solder only put up 21 reps at the 225?

Not any one drill is everything but I heard that was a major flaw for a guy who weighed in at 305 or so ... some of the bigger wide receivers might put that up.

@pstu24
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Sounds like Mallett had a terrible press conference.

I just heard him say "I'm not gonna talk about it" about 15 times.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Solder moves like a tight end. Gilbert is very fluid for a right tackle type.

Jordan Cameron showed very good physical skills and great hands. (He is another basketball player to football player guy).

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Gilbert made himself some money today but i think some of those tall tackles like Carimi and Sherrod might have slipped a bit. The mirror drill is a biggie and i saw a lot of guys that were either too upright or over extended.

Cannon looked like crap in the kick slide but man he looked great in the mirror. It likely put him out of the 2nd and into the late 3rd maybe into the 4th depending on how these tackles rise or fall but that is good news for the Browns if they are interested.

Legend
Legend
Some D-linemen weight

Justin Houston 6'3 270. Nice.

Moch 6'1 248 Really nice if he can run at least a 4.3 forty

JJ Watt 6'5 290 (a little heavier than I expected)

Aldon Smith 263

Robert Quinn 6'4 265

DaQuan Bowers 6'3 280 

Nick Fairley 6'4 291 

Kenrick Ellis 6'5 346 

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Didn't Nate Solder only put up 21 reps at the 225?

Not any one drill is everything but I heard that was a major flaw for a guy who weighed in at 305 or so ... some of the bigger wide receivers might put that up.

Yes he put up 21. Oher put up 21 his year, so it doesn't mean a guy can't be successful. Solder ran well, and looked athletic and very fluid. The big thing that the talking heads on NFL Network said (mainly Mayock) was that in games he gets too high - but that a good OL coach should be able to fix it.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Fair enough, but it makes me wonder of pure strength and whether a guy could hold up against a power rush or if he could drive back a d-lineman when he only puts up that many ... I saw that Noel Devine (5'8, 180 pounds) put up 24 reps ... and Cecil Shorts (listed at 200, would be surprised if he was over 195 ... ) put up 21 himself ... heck, some people earlier today had reported that AJ Green looked small as he only weighed in at I want to say 205, but he had either 17 or 18 (he had one and Julio had the other) ... not bad for some wide receivers that weigh 100 pounds less than Solder

Oher struggled late in the year I will point out, but overall I understand what you are saying as he has been a fairly solid pick that merits a first round selection.

@pstu24
C
Legend
Legend
C
It's hard for guys with long arms to get that much weight up and down continuously.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Absolutely.

Don't forget that AJ Green has fairly long arms as well, weighs about 100 pounds less as well.

@pstu24
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The big thing that the talking heads on NFL Network said (mainly Mayock) was that in games he gets too high - but that a good OL coach should be able to fix it.

These real tall guys have difficulty playing with bend. They cant sink their hips and they end up reaching and over extending. Maybe a yoga instructor can help but usually by this level that part of the game is a finished product. One of those things you either have natural bend or you dont.

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Julio Jones - 4.39
AJ Green - 4.48

Mallet and Locker looking good in drills...Locker ran a 4.52 which would have put him just outside the top 10 speeds for WIDE RECIEVERS

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Legend
Legend
My wife on Sterling Sharpe's eyebrows: "Oh... he's got the monopoly guy's moustache on either side of his head."

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
»Aldon Smith (DE/LB) 6'4" 263

»Robert Quinn (DE/LB) 6'3" 265

»Ryan Karrigan (DE/LB) 6'3" 267 

»Nick Fairley (DT) 6'4" 291 

^what happened to all the 6'5" prospects

Talk about the smurf class:

»Jacquizz Rodgers (RB) 5'5" 196

»Dion Lewis (RB) 5'6" 193

»Kendall Hunter (RB) 5'6" 199

»Noel Devine (RB) 5'7 179

»Derrick Locke (RB) 5'8 188

»Jordan Todman (RB) 5'8" 203

»Shane Vereen (RB) 5'8" 208

»Vai Taua (RB) 5'8" 210

»Mark Ingram (RB) 5'8" 215

Seriously there is some pretty good talent listed above.

[Linked Image]

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I have really liked what I've seen from Stanzi and Ponder in the throwing drills. They seem (especially Stanzi) to be the type of guys that Holmgren likes to draft late.

The Wrs that have impressed me are Jones (who has really helped himself today, and Young. I bet Jones starts getting talked about as a top 7 pick after this week. I would still take Green over him because of the hands and route running ability, but Jones is a better athlete, and a team running a vertical offense will fall in love with him I'm sure. If we go D in round 1 I really hope we take Titus Young in round 2. Another guy that has impressed me is Sanzenbacher (I know I'm a homer). He is perfect for the slot, and can be had in the later rounds of the draft.

Guys who haven't impressed me this morning.............Cam Newton (he's under thrown or threw wide of most of his WRs today). Torrin Smith is another guy that hasn't shown me much. I know he runs fast, but he will have serious trouble running NFL routes.

Looking forward to the RBs.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
D
Legend
Legend
D
I like Sanzenbacher too. He reminds me of Brian Brennan ... great hands, faster than you think, fearless over the middle, and clutch when the chips are down. I think the Browns will go Defense in the first round, and then someone like Hankerson or Baldwin in the 2nd. I would be happy if they took Sanzenbacher in a later round (4th/5th).

C
Legend
Legend
C
Randall Cobb, wide receiver from Kentucky, is blowing it up.

Also, Julio Jones is making himself some money today.

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Big Willie -

I didn't see much from Titus Young...was actually disappointed. What did I miss? If we don't go with Green in round 1 (or trade back for Jones?) and we go Defense in round 1, then I'd prefer to double up in round 2 on defense or get a stud OG. I don't think they'll be much separation in talent from round 2 and round 3-4 wr's this year

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Mainly the cone drill (that shows the ability to change directions...ie route running potential), and the catch drill where looked awful fluid and showed great ability to change directions. These are things you look for in a WCO receiver much more than jumping ability or top end speed. Take a guy like the kid from Maryland......great top end speed and can jump through the roof, but he was horrible in the cone drills and catch drills..........aka not a guy we will like, but a team running a vertical O will love him. Julio is much the same way (although way better than Smith).......great deep threat, but can't sniff AJ at controlling his body/speed (aka cuts,route running etc).

JMHO

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) 2011 NFL Scouting Combine

Link Copied to Clipboard