Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Legend
Legend
I would want Heckert fired immediately.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If that happens, you will have to change your avatar.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

T
Legend
Legend
T
If the Browns draft 3 cornerbacks again this year, I'm gonna be so mad!

But then again, the Browns OFTEN make me so mad!

If I had 10 picks in the 1st 5 rounds, It would be 7 picks before I would even Think about drafting a cornerback. ( well I would think of it, I would just think very poorly of a decision to go get one )

There are 7 or 8 or 9 or 10 neeeds more prominant than cornerback this year, and they just invested 3 picks into the db's last year.

I'd take 10 Michael Strahans over 10 Bo Jacksons, 10 times in a row!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not sure if you were just clicking on Turk or actually responding to him, but he has 3 LSU players, not 3 CBs:

Quote:

1) Patrick Peterson - CB - LSU
2) Drake Nevis - DT - LSU
3) Joseph Barksdale - OT - LSU

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
And Bo Jackson wasn't a cornerback so where did that reference come from?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

And Bo Jackson wasn't a cornerback so where did that reference come from?

Don't interrupt with details while the Germans are bombing Pearl Harbor.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Germans?

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
I know, but he was on a roll.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Not saying I would do this as I think there are too many holes to fill, but does anyone think there's any chance the Browns try to trade UP to get Green if they really think he's all that? Perhaps a combination of this year pick(s) and next year pick(s) in order to ease the blow of a trade up?

Now, back to your regularly scheduled bombings.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Not saying I would do this as I think there are too many holes to fill, but does anyone think there's any chance the Browns try to trade UP to get Green if they really think he's all that? Perhaps a combination of this year pick(s) and next year pick(s) in order to ease the blow of a trade up?

We can't afford to give up ANYTHING. Only aquire. I'd be shocked and angry if we traded up.

If Mangini were drafting for a team above us, we MIGHT be able to trade up and only lose a special teamer, a port-a-jon and a spare football.

Legend
Legend
I think if we weren't switching defenses and in need of completely rebuilding the D-line OR if the front 7 class was weak, then yeah i could see that. The fact that we are in need (and that 4 of the top 6 prospects are DLine) makes me think there's not a realistic shot.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

We can't afford to give up ANYTHING. Only aquire. I'd be shocked and angry if we traded up.

If Mangini were drafting for a team above us, we MIGHT be able to trade up and only lose a special teamer, a port-a-jon and a spare football.

Really? I'm not sure if you meant give up anything at the top of the draft, but I would prefer to move around for the best outcome. I feel as though with all of the backend special teamers that we have, this could be a year that we don't need any (or many) end of the draft picks. If we could do somehting similar to last year and package some combination of our 3rd, 4th, 5th and 2 6ths, we could potentially turn those into a pair of seconds.

However, If we traded down even 5 to 10 spots and picked up another 2nd and maybe even another 6th/7th (it all comes down to how crazy people are on draft day and how the board falls) we could wind up having as many as 2 or 3 2nds added to go along with a mid round first and even the ability to continue adding quality in the 3rd and 4th or so.

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I'm all for trading down. Only against trading UP.

Legend
Legend
I think our Rd 1-4 are critical this year for obtaining 2 DL, 1 WR, and a RT. If you need to burn any 5s or 6s jumping ahead of somebody to get Vincent Brown or Leonard Hankerson or James Carpenter or James Brewer or Cameron Heyward, then do it.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

I think our Rd 1-4 are critical this year for obtaining 2 DL, 1 WR, and a RT.

While I agree we need to address those positions, I don't think we should lock ourselves into taking those positions. We are not at a point where we need to select a certain position. We need to select talent.

If Kyle Rudolph fell to us in the 3rd round, we should take him. If Rahim Moore fell to us in the 2nd round, we should take him. Getting talent is the most important thing for us right now.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
j/c

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings

Going with this, right now at this stage of the draft process (far from finished for me), I'd take:

#6 a) QB Gabbert b) DE Jordan c) CB/FS Amukamura d) WR Jones

#37 a) DE Sheard b) DT Nevis c) FS Moore d) RT/G Cannon

#70 a) WR T.Young b) OLB Herzlich c) CB Carmichael d) OLB Moch e) DT Casey

#101 a) OLB Foster b) DE McPhee c) OG Boling d) WR V.Brown e) RB B.Powell f) CB Hogan

# 134 a) RT Gilbert b) RB/WR Locke c) RB Harper d) ILB SHeppard e) G Schilling f) RB T.Jones, WR R.Johnson DT Fua, LB Matthews, WR Shorts, OLB Homan, OLB Keiser, CB/FS Gilchrist....I'd like more 5ths...4th to 5th is nice value land in this draft

#162+#165 CB Rogers, QB McElroy, WR Salas, CB R.Jones, CB Lindsey, DE Friday, DT Carter, DT Whitlock, DT Ogbu, FS T.Johnson, OLB Hogue, FS Culliver, OT W.Smith, RB Devine, WR Matthews, WR Moore, WR L.Jean, TE Smith, TE Cameron

Nice mix imho:

QB Gabbert
DE Sheard
WR Young
OLB Foster
RT Gilbert
CB Rogers
last pick I'd probably go DL taking DT Carter but could also go TE Smith, OLB Hogue or another WR...close call

I'd be surprised if not at least 5 of those 7 go before their slot here though...this draft would be swinging for the fence in a big way, some risk to it (Gabbert, any QB is always a risk and WR Young)...but I have 5 strong starting grades for the 1st 5 picks...with 2 developmental/upside players in the 6th

Overall, this draft is below AVG (bit unfair since the last 2 drafts were killer) in Top 50-75 talent but pretty deep with fringe below AVG to (developmental) AVG starter types through rounds 4-6...with our roster situation I'd try to get 2-3 more picks in that area...we have enough space for 10 rooks on our roster

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
C
Legend
Legend
C
So even with Holmgren saying that Colt McCoy is "the guy" you still want us to take a QB?

Just for clarification, is this what you would do, or what you think the Browns will do?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
What I would do, simply taking the BPA at the time of our pick with nfldraftscout's board, which is usually pretty useful

Also, although Holmgren has been a straight shooter until now with his comments, I think it's either dumb (if true) or a bluff having Gabbert high himself...because, even if you fully believe in McCoy: why would you give away valuable trade leverage if Gabbert were to fall to our pick? with lots of QB needy teams coming (SF, TEN, WAS, MIA, MIN, JAX)...another possibility is, that Holmgren, like me, is pretty sure that Gabbert's gonna be picked in the Top 5 anyway...but even then, why not leverage a bit for possible Newton sweepstakes? Hmm...

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
Quote:

While I agree we need to address those positions, I don't think we should lock ourselves into taking those positions. We are not at a point where we need to select a certain position. We need to select talent.

Yeah, I guess I agree with you on this. The first two picks going DL I think we should do, though, just because that's where the talent is. Also I think Carpenter and/or Brewer when we pick there in the 4th which is a tremendous value. The third round is kind of forcing for need (unless Hankerson {less likely} or Brown {somewhat likely} are there.)

Legend
Legend
1. Cameron Jordan, California, DE (6'4" - 287 lbs.) - Reminds me of Justin Tuck. Has very good pash rushing moves. Uses his hands incredibly well. Can play any spot on D-line.

2. Cameron Heyward, Ohio State, DT (6'5" - 294 lbs.) -
Too much value to pass on at this point for a guy that will work his way into the rotation immediately and excel in the 4-3 scheme. He could play UT in our defense. Heyward is versatile, has good strength, and has been productive throughout his career for the Buckeyes. 

3. Sam Acho, Texas, DE (6'1" 262 lbs.) - A productive pass rusher who was equally as capable in run defense. Plus, very durable - played 49 games for the Longhorns, never missed a game. Ran a surprisingly excellent 40 yard dash in 4.68 seconds at the combine.

4. Casey Matthews, Oregon, OLB (6'1" - 231 lbs.) - Matthews is not the athlete of his brother, but brings a versatile defender with a great motor and the ability to close on the football.

5. Greg Romeus, Pittsburgh, DE (6'5" - 264 lbs.) -
We need help at the end spots. Romeus was considered a first rounder his junior year, but opted to stay in school. Then he injured his back, missing his entire senior year. He worked out well at the combine, and looks to be back into football shape, so we use a late pick on him

6. Pat Devlin, Delaware, QB (6'3" 225 lbs.) - 3rd stringer in year 1 that is a leader and could excel in the West Coast system. Pushes Colt. 

6. Corbin Bryant, Northwestern, DT (6'4" - 302 lbs.) -
Similar to Barry Coefield, could compete on the interior for a roster spot and prove to be a steal.  

We get WRs and a RT in free agency.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
v2.0 for me. I still haven't done a full mock - too much info, too little time. I did a full 2 rounds plus the 3rd up to Cleveland's pick. The rest is just guessing who will be where when we pick. I'm not very warm and fuzzy about this draft overall.

1) Carolina Panthers (2–14) ………. Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama
2) Denver Broncos (4–12) ………. Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
3) Buffalo Bills (4–12) ………. Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M
4) Cincinnati Bengals (4–12) ………. Patrick Peterson, CB/FS, LSU
5) Arizona Cardinals (5–11) ………. Robert Quinn, OLB, UNC

Cleveland
(6) AJ Green, WR, Georgia
- it was between Fairley, Green, and Jordan. I chose the #1 WR over #3 DE and #1/#2 DT

(round 2) Christian Ballard, DT, Iowa
- I wanted Jabaal Sheard for here, but I mocked him to NE at 33, so it was really Ballard, Brooks Reed, or Cannon. I'm not completely sold on Cannon and thought it was too much of a reach for Reed at 37.

(round 3) Dontay Moch, DE, Nevada
- I had Beal and Reed both going mid-late 2nd and Moch falling. I could see Moch replacing either of those guys. I have him at DE because he was 248 at the combine and still 4.44 and was in as a DE. Really there wasn't anyone else I looked at when I saw his name still available. In reality, he won't be here. Someone will take him in round I'm sure.

(round 4) Marcus Gilbert, RT, Florida
- I had him in my first mock here too. If he's here I'd love to see us grab him.

(round 5) Greg Romeus, DE, Pitt
- It came down to Pierre Allen, Greg Romeus and the Kent State FS Brian Lainhart. I chose Romeus because if we re-sign Elam, we have a bigger need at DE. I chose Romeus solely on his projected 40 time.

(round 6) Brian Rolle, OLB, Ohio State
- Homer pick, ok. He played well at OSU and looked good at the combine. Good enough for me for a 6th rounder - if he's still around.

(round 6) Chris Culliver, FS, South Carolina
- Played both FS and CB at South Carolina, and returned kicks. Versatile late pick

Legend
Legend
I would have to look at it like this .....

Which position carries a higher premium, if talent and profession "projection" are equal?

Does an impactful 4-3 DE or DT outweigh an impactful WR?

I think they do.

Teams win Super Bowls without "incredible" WRs, but by having a deep WR corps instead. They rarely win without a great pass rush.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I can't argue with you at all.

I think that Green has the potential to be a game changer. Per Fairley, I just have a bad feeling that this guy is either going to bust or be a Haynesworth type headache. It came down to more Green vs Jordan than anything and I chose Green.

Legend
Legend
Your defense wins superbowls by creating turnovers IMO

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
I have not done a lot research on first round possibilities but I did read something about Robert Quinn, DE, NC, that is concerning. When he was in HS, he had brain surgery for a benign tumor.

I guess he has not had any problems since but with all the concern in the NFL about concussions and brain injuries, Quinn's history would be a serious concern of mine...

...also, DaQuan Bowers, DE, Clemson...he has knee problems and had a knee surgery to repair a torn meniscsus after this season.

Picking at #6, the Browns don't need to make a risky pick. First and formost, pick someone that has great health....

...jmho

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If Heckert was considered about injuries, he wouldnt have signed Pashos and drafted Ward and Hardesty. Just think, one of the three actually played a regular season NFL game.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Pashos played.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My bad, I had one the vicious migraines this week and the old brain pan doesn't function properly for a few days afterwards.

C
Legend
Legend
C
It's okay, if you blinked you probably missed the time he was in the game.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

If Heckert was considered about injuries, he wouldnt have signed Pashos and drafted Ward and Hardesty. Just think, one of the three actually played a regular season NFL game.

mourg...Neither TJ Ward or Hardesty were not the #6 picks in the draft...

Haden was a solid choice with excellent health.

This is just my opinion, but if I were picking for the Browns neither Quinn nor Bowers would be on my draft board as the #6 pick because of their injury history.

It's beginning to look like #6 is tough position to be in for the Browns, if they are looking to land "elite" talent.

At this time, I would rate Patrick Peterson-CB, Marcell Dareus-DT, Von Miller-LB and AJ Green-WR as elite draftees worthy of the #6 pick.

I would have to consider Amukamara-CB, close to being considered elite but he would be the 2nd best CB in the draft.

I would rate Julio Jones as an elite talent but with his broken foot, I would have a tough time picking him at #6.

As I see it, the problem the Browns could be facing is they may fall just short of landing an elite player unless they move up... or...2 of the teams picking above the Browns pass on one of the four players I listed above.

The Browns might be in a position to trade out of the #6 slot, moving down, accumulating more picks to draft solid talent later in the first round.

I'm just kicking around some draft possibilities that are subject to change depending on the ever changing talent evaluations as the Combine ends and Pro Days begin.

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
No Fairley?

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Julio Jones is just to inconsistent as a receiver for my tastes.

Peterson will not be successful as a corner. I think he is still worth the pick as a safety but he gets to high in his backpedal and is a bit stiff which will only get worse as his body matures and that means more weight. Lets face it he is already 220 pounds.

Green was born to run in the WCO. Georgia runs a lot of the same stuff that we will see from Shurmur and guess what? Green runs those routes without fear and with flawless precision.

Fairley and Dareus could fit. Fairley I think is better suited for DE than DT at the next level. I think he can drop 20 pounds of belly fat and be a beast at DE with those long arms and powerful legs. Dareus just seems like the kind of player that is gonna be there for 10 plus years.

Quinn, i am not buying the hype. A year away from football with nothing to do besides practice for the combines and he looked okay?

Bowers should be the #1 and Von Miller wont be far behind.

The trade down scenario seems very likely this year. Titans, 49ers, Skins all looking for QB. 49ers and Cowboys looking for a starting corner. Who knows we might be able to trade down and still get AJ Green.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Bowers should be the #1 and Von Miller wont be far behind.

If you mean #1 overall to Carolina, that will all depend on Carolina re-signing Charles Johnson. If he re-signs, I can't see Carolina going DE. If he doesn't, you are 100% right. If you mean #1 to Cleveland, I don't think he lasts that long.

Quote:

The trade down scenario seems very likely this year. Titans, 49ers, Skins all looking for QB. 49ers and Cowboys looking for a starting corner. Who knows we might be able to trade down and still get AJ Green.

I couldn't agree more. I did a few scenarios with my mock and had Green available at 7, 8, and 9. I don't think Washington could pass him up - then available at 11, 12, and 13. I suspect though, that if we traded down to say Tenn at 9 or Dallas at 10, that St Louis would consider trading up to get ahead of us. And certainly if we were to trade with say Houston at 11, I could see Washington and St Louis pulling a trade where St Louis could pick Green and Washington could still get Jones (if available). Its all conjecture, but I agree that this year may be an easy year to do that (especially if the CBA includes rookie deals)

Legend
Legend
Fairley is dirty as hell but a great player

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Peterson will not be successful as a corner. I think he is still worth the pick as a safety but he gets to high in his backpedal and is a bit stiff which will only get worse as his body matures and that means more weight. Lets face it he is already 220 pounds.

I do not agree that he will not be a CB.

Also I do not agree that he is stiff.
He has very lose hips.

[Linked Image]

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

You read Mayock too much...lol...

He's about as stiff as Deion was...Which ain't much...

I'm of the crowd that says put PP wherever u want cause he's gonna take this Secondary to another level...Corner or FS...

What do u do under these circs???

Car---Fairley
2-Bowers
3-Gabbert
4-Dareus
5-Newton/Miller
Cleveland--------(Peterson AND Green on da' board...These r MY 1-2 in the entire draft).)

Go Browns!!!
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

No Fairley?

wojo...No Fairley...

Just too many unknowns for me to feel comfortable with the Browns picking him at #6.

He did not qualify academically to play major college football out of HS and spent two seasons at the junior college level, 2007 and 2008. Signed up with Auburn in 2009 and started "2 games".

Yes, Fairley had a very good 2010 season, but I would not risk the Browns #6 pick on a guy who put in just "one good season" in college.

Is he just a splash in the pan?...

Does he have the desire and talent to be one of the best in the NFL?

I do not consider Fairley an "elite" talent worthy of the Browns #6 pick...

...jmho..

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

U know he can hone those techniques down.
If you were watching those drills most of them were high in their backpeddle and coming out of it..I don't see the stiffness and I watch the corners closely..Prince seems stiffer to me than Peterson.
The issues I have with Fairley is he seems that classic boom or bust..if he's mentally soft he'll be useless..Dareus is intriguing but I also wonder about the fire in him.
I'm looking for a linemen with a mean streak in him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have those 2 as the 2 best players. It would really come down to interviews and to use that old gut feeling. Right now the feeling is towards Green maybe because we invested a 1st and 2nd into our secondary last year.

I been thinking safety for Peterson for awhile with his size and I saw some things I didnt like at the combines. Again he is 220 now which is ideal safety size or small linebacker size lol.

I would not draft him saying wow we got a great corner. Maybe he can do it, but if i draft him, i would say, I know he can a stud at free safety with his size, speed and smarts, but lets see if his corner skills translates.

The more i see of Green the more I see a game breaker that has the perfect skill set for this offense but Holmgren and Heckert have never been big on receivers that high.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Fairly = Gerard Warren
I watched a lot of film on Prince..Yuk..at least what I saw it was bad.
I think the only sure fire can't miss guys are Peterson and Green. If I were to draft a D end..Personally I would rather slide down to get Watt instead of taking one of those guys at the top.. I guess after drafting Brown and Warren that high, and seeing other interior and exterior guys not have the impact that one would hope makes me hesitant..None of these guys are a Suh...

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) DawgTalker mock drafts

Link Copied to Clipboard