Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
John Elway, a Hall of Fame quarterback who led the Denver Broncos to two Super Bowl titles in the late 1990s, isn't certain the team has a franchise signal-caller on its roster.

Elway, now the Broncos' executive vice president of football operations, told KKFN-FM that the team, which owns the No. 2 overall pick in this month's draft, is looking closely at quarterbacks, despite the presence of Kyle Orton, Tim Tebow and Brady Quinn, all of whom have started in the NFL.

"Obviously if there's a guy there that's a franchise guy there, we definitely have to look at it because we're not sure we have a franchise guy on our team right now," Elway said. "So, obviously we've got to visit that, look at it, and do our due diligence on it, and then we'll make our decision from there.

NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora cited a league source in reporting that the Broncos worked out Nevada quarterback Colin Kaepernick on Thursday and will meet with him again in Denver next week. The team also will work out Washington quarterback Jake Locker in Seattle on Friday, according to a league source.

The Broncos also are expected to work out or meet with quarterbacks Ryan Mallett of Arkansas, Cam Newton of Auburn and Blaine Gabbert of Missouri, La Canfora reported.

New Broncos coach John Fox told reporters at February's NFL Scouting Combine that Orton was his starter, but Elway calls the draft process genuine.

"It's not a smokescreen," he said. "We realize -- and I realize -- how important that position is, and if there's a franchise guy there that we know is a franchise guy, we'd have to look at it."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81...ve-franchise-qb

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Looks like they want some more calls about trading up for a QB ....?

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
"We Don't Have A Franchise QB" and "Obviously if there's a guy there that's a franchise guy there, we definitely have to look at it because we're not sure we have a franchise guy on our team right now" are not the same thing. Pretty misleading title there.

"All I know is, as long as I led the Southeastern Conference in scoring, my grades would be fine." - Charles Barkley
Legend
Legend
IMO it would be pretty dumb to not let Tebow get a another shot to be the starter... the guy is a winner, a motivator, and an icon.... o wait.. sorry...

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
I can't believe that Elway, knowing what he knows about the game and the guys who play it, would basically throw all three of his QB's under a bus like that so publically.

I mean, it's perfectly ok to think that inside the building, but to put it on the street like that.. wow, that's a collosal blunder.

He's John Freakin Elway for cryin out loud.. His words have weight. What kinda trade value does Orton, Tebow and Quinn have now that he's opened his trap and said they basically aren't franchise guys?

If there was thought of trading any or all of those guys, he's just put a hole in thier value.

Smart Elway,, really smart,,,,,

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

"Obviously if there's a guy there that's a franchise guy there, we definitely have to look at it because we're not sure we have a franchise guy on our team right now," Elway said

I don't know what the stink is. He just made a Damanlike statement of the obvious. None of those three have proven they can take the Broncos to the next level.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

"Obviously if there's a guy there that's a franchise guy there, we definitely have to look at it because we're not sure we have a franchise guy on our team right now," Elway said

I don't know what the stink is. He just made a Damanlike statement of the obvious. None of those three have proven they can take the Broncos to the next level.

If you don't see what's wrong with his comment and think it's so damned obvious, then perhaps removing your head from your nether regions would help

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
If I were that flexible, I'd never leave the house.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

John Elway, a Hall of Fame quarterback who led the Denver Broncos to two Super Bowl titles in the late 1990s, isn't certain the team has a franchise signal-caller on its roster.

Elway, now the Broncos' executive vice president of football operations, told KKFN-FM that the team, which owns the No. 2 overall pick in this month's draft, is looking closely at quarterbacks, despite the presence of Kyle Orton, Tim Tebow and Brady Quinn, all of whom have started in the NFL.

"Obviously if there's a guy there that's a franchise guy there, we definitely have to look at it because we're not sure we have a franchise guy on our team right now," Elway said. "So, obviously we've got to visit that, look at it, and do our due diligence on it, and then we'll make our decision from there.

NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora cited a league source in reporting that the Broncos worked out Nevada quarterback Colin Kaepernick on Thursday and will meet with him again in Denver next week. The team also will work out Washington quarterback Jake Locker in Seattle on Friday, according to a league source.

The Broncos also are expected to work out or meet with quarterbacks Ryan Mallett of Arkansas, Cam Newton of Auburn and Blaine Gabbert of Missouri, La Canfora reported.

New Broncos coach John Fox told reporters at February's NFL Scouting Combine that Orton was his starter, but Elway calls the draft process genuine.

"It's not a smokescreen," he said. "We realize -- and I realize -- how important that position is, and if there's a franchise guy there that we know is a franchise guy, we'd have to look at it."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81...ve-franchise-qb

I remember when Elway pissed off the browns front office when he was asked if Tim Couch was a "franchise QB and he replied that if "the lights have not come on by the third year they usually never do". he was right. tebow may be a leader with a Non Caliber arm. Orton may have a decent arm yet only fair as a leader and Quinn may not have either and may be too "damaged" to ever be an effective leader or may not have accuracy needed. Elway may be right so maybe the Donks do draft a QB.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

He's John Freakin Elway for cryin out loud.. His words have weight. What kinda trade value does Orton, Tebow and Quinn have now that he's opened his trap and said they basically aren't franchise guys?

Could be he cares more about finding a guy who can put W's in the W colum instead of making sure he doesn't lose in the value of trades game.

Everyone on this Board should understand that the object of the game is not to asemble an all star roster, the object is to get wins. Everyone on this board already understands that, because Browns fans are smart.

Was Jon Elway a franchise quarterback when he threw about 6 interceptions and had one of the worst super bowl QB performances of all time in the 1980's ? Or did he not become a Franchise QB until he handed the ball off to Terrelle Davis and utilized Shannon Sharpe and a top defense to win a super bowl in the 1990's.

According to the (assemble the all stars guys) The Bronco's should have traded Elway for a younger better guy like Jeff George, after the bad superbowl in the 1980's.

Actually! They would have been better off if they had Jeff Klingler at quarterback, as long as they had drafted a Right Freaking Tackle!

They did, they stole the Browns left tackle, (well the team was moving to baltimore) Tony Jones, to replace Jeff Zimmeman, ( I think) who was retiring and then talked their left tackle out of retiring, then they put Tony Jones (the best left tackle in the league when on the Browns) at right tackle, and he went on to only dominate and negate (Reggie White) in the super bowl win against the packers.
It also took coaching because the coach ran almost the whole games offense from a formation that forced the packers high caliber safety back into a responsibility for coverage, negating his run stopping playmaking.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

I remember when Elway pissed off the browns front office when he was asked if Tim Couch was a "franchise QB and he replied that if "the lights have not come on by the third year they usually never do". he was right.

I don't remember ever seeing Couch play behind an offensive line. How can a QB be judged when his offensive line is made of scrubs and rejects?

With that said, I think this was a bad comment for Elway to make. As an high executive, he shouldn't be throwing his players under the bus in the public eye.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I always felt like Kyle Orton was a pretty good QB in this league---probably in the top 15.

Obviously not an elite guy---but a guy who can get it done. I think his injury history is a bit of a concern. But a guy throwing 20-21 td's with only 9-12 int's the past two seasons is pretty good. He is definitely one of those middle-tier guys who could step up with a decent team around him.

I never understood them targeting Tebow so high and then trading for Quinn with Orton already entrenched as a starter there.

I don't understand why the guy gets such a bad rap. He is a more than competent quarterback in the league.

Last edited by Tyler_Derden; 04/03/11 03:32 PM.

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
Legend
Legend
Well, feeling the love in THAT room. Lot of disrespecting of the three in place. Maybe BQ gets another big opportunity. The Orton is respectable and plays well at times. Maybe Elway is hoping to suit up again. Not the best treatment of your guy(s) as far as ego. Quite a surplus of QBs there. Hard to believe the quotes.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Gotta agree with you on this ... In a league where we seem to stress over the best, the guys in the bottom half of the top 10 in this league seem to suffer.

What would you say a real quarterback is?

In 2 of the past three seasons he has thrown for over 3600 yards (the lowest of the three was "only" 2972 and did it in only 15 games ...)

He has averaged 19.67 touchdowns and only 11 interceptions per season over the last three years.

He also hasn't been under 58.5% completion rate for an entire season in the last 3 years.

He's not a bad quarterback at all ... and then we need to remember that he went from the mediocre Bears to the Broncos. Not bad stats and he really didn't miss a beat despite switching teams / offensive styles.

@pstu24
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Could be he cares more about finding a guy who can put W's in the W colum instead of making sure he doesn't lose in the value of trades game.

I understand that, and I have no problem with it. The thing is, by keeping his trap shut, he can do both. Get a franchise QB AND trade one or two of the guys there now.

He's an idiot for opening his mouth.

Last edited by Damanshot; 04/04/11 09:11 AM.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If I were that flexible, I'd never leave the house.

Oh wow,, That's TOO MUCH INFORMATION

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Gotta question for U debaters of important things..who cares what Elway wants?????
Even if clown took a QB with the Broncs first pick it does the Browns good..but otherwise why would I care what QB he takes early??

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Gotta question for U debaters of important things..who cares what Elway wants?????
Even if clown took a QB with the Broncs first pick it does the Browns good..but otherwise why would I care what QB he takes early??

Well, for one thing, you don't have to care.. I don't really care what he does either, but I was merely pointing out that he's making a blunder with his actions.

But again, You don't have to care. There isn't a gun to your head.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That really wasn't intended for you..I just see posters gettin upset over this..go figure.

Legend
Legend
OH,, Ok,, I'm not upset over it, frankly, I don't care what the Broncos do, But I just thought that, since it was posted, that I'd throw in my 2 cents..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
The more QBs taken in the top 5, the better.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Indeed.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

HECK YA!!!

I'm hoping at Minimum two go in the top 5... just push down more talent to us!!!!

<><

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Panthers, Bills, Bengals, and Cardinals could all go QB too. I really think all the Broncos stuff is just a smokescreen (I really am tired of that word).

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Meaning a player of need will drop..thats why I hope Elways not faking..but he may not take one till their next pick comes along.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

unless someone is willing to give us a Ricky Williams type deal for one of the QBs if they drop to our spot.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't think he's faking........he knows he doesn't have anything. If BG doesn't go number 1 then I wouldn't be surprised if the Donks took him..........but yeah they probably wait until round 2-3 if he's gone.

Orton has put up some decent statistical seasons, but he also cannot stay healthy...........not to mention that he is known for brain dead in games.......basically becoming a turnover machine. Orton reminds me alot of DA (well DA in 07) he can look really good in some stretches, and then come back and absolutely kill your teams chances at winning the next minute. He's just too inconsistent to rely on.

No need to really respond to why he doesn't think Timmah and Brady aren't legit QBs is there????

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Last year was the first year Orton missed more than one game as the starter in his career. He has never thrown more than 12 INT's in a season. In his two years in Denver he has a QB rating of 87.2.

Quote:

He's just too inconsistent to rely on.

I'd take the way Orton plays over any QB in this draft.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I tried to go through this in my head and I just don't know ...

If Den wants a QB in the draft AND like what they have on the roster:
by saying they don't have much they can get teams interested in trading for one of their current QB's (even a late rounder for Quinn?) and still get teams to call about moving up to take the QB that THAT team would want. If Buffalo or Arizona is worried that Denver is serious, they will want to move up and Denver gets more picks while keeping their current QBs.

If Den doesn't like any QB's in the draft (top anyway) and likes what they have: Simple old fashioned smokescreen to get someone to move up, and MAYBE they can con-fangle a great trade to get some more ammunition for defense. Whether they traded any 2 of the 3 QB's .. even with Tebow or Quinn but an additional few picks for the other and orton, they could draft and more or less rebuild their whole defense. Maybe they could go after luck next year? I'm ahead of myself.

If Den. WANTS a quarterback and doesn't like what they have currently:
This is them telling the truth and seeing if they can outsmart someone at the top?

If Den Doesn't want a quarterback and doesn't like what they have ...

It's gonna be a LONG season in denver ... or John Fox is going to design a full running attack ... maybe they trade for Matt Moore from carolina in that case? I think Orton would be better though than anything they could get. They build the team in all seriousness and call it a rebuilding year where they just hope to compete.

@pstu24
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I do not see Quinn having any trade value whatsover. He will likely be looking for work before week 1 of the season.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I do not see Quinn having any trade value whatsover. He will likely be looking for work before week 1 of the season.

depends on what they do in this draft. if they don't draft a QB, then they may decide to just keep Quinn at QB3 with the short offseason.

then again, a former ND QB he didn't expect to have to play did just get John Fox fired

#gmstrong
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
While I'm not claiming Quinn will amount to anything ... I see a few possible spots bringing him in if nothing else for what they have (or don't have I should say). It will depend on the specific draft results ... but Minnesota, Seattle, Arizona, San Francisco, maybe even Oakland?

There are a lot more organizations that I could see him going to primarily as a backup (as in they have a stable QB but could take a chance on him being there for emergency/backup duty). If Charlie whitehurst gets a 3rd rounder, and sage rosenfals gets a kick returner for value and two draft picks ... I could see a team trading a 7th for Quinn? I could also see him being cut though. Not being delusional.

@pstu24
N
Legend
Legend
N
let's play QB-carousel:

my guess for starting QBs next season:

Carolina - Newton
Washington - Vince Young
Tennessee - Kerry Collins and eventually Colin Kaepernick (2nd round pick)
Minnesota - Hasselbeck
Seattle - McNabb
Arizona - Gabbert
San Francisco - Andy Dalton (2nd round pick)
Oakland - Ryan Mallet (2nd round pick)
Cincinatti - Jordan Palmer (hehe...couldn't resist) - Jake Locker (2nd round pick --- couldn't resist again though I could see him or Mallet)

Buffalo keeps Fitz
Miami keeps Henne
Denver keeps Tebow/Orton combo
Jax keeps Garrard
Cinci keeps Carson Palmer but he refuses to play (hoping to force a trade next offseason)

Did I miss any teams with questions or possibly available QBs?

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Say what you want Willie.....Tim's numbers looked pretty good.

You do know he is going to be a SB MVP don't you ???

I am pretty sure I will own you before it's over.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) "We Don't Have A Franchise QB" - John Elway

Link Copied to Clipboard