"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
N
Legend
Legend
N
so, our defense is not modeling Philly...or Seattle....or Holmgren's Packers.....
only Holmgren-tree team with DT's like Rubin/Taylor would be Minnesota Vikings

there are certainly worse defenses to model after

#gmstrong
C
All Pro
All Pro
C
Wish I could be excited about this. Giving up a 3rd rounder and ending up with this guy makes me throw up a little bit in my mouth.

123 Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I would like this pick a lot more if it was at 29, but hey what can u do. time to stop the run

oioioioi
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think this is a good sign after thinking about it for a while. It shows that Holmgren can adapt his philosophy to what has shown success in the NFL.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I would like this pick a lot more if it was at 29, but hey what can u do. time to stop the run

That's kind of my thoughts. I feel like he probably would of been there at 29, but maybe Mike and Tom know something we don't.

Legend
Legend
No, sir. I don't like it.

K
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
K
im surprised with a kid like Marvin Austin on the board, Stephen Paea...

Furthermore, Taylor is a bit of a character concern. He was charged after an on campus fight, he is known to not be a practice player...seems like we made moves to make a pick on a guy who isnt really a guy youd ordinarily trade up for.

It has to start somehow
L
Legend
Legend
L
Got this from cbssports.com

Quote:

04/17/2011 - Every year there are players who slip on draft day and leave all of us befuddled. Later, we typically find out that the player had medical concerns pop up, leading to the unfortunate drop. Injury concerns have led to unstable stock for Clemson defensive end Da'Quan Bowers and Alabama running back Mark Ingram this year. They aren't the only first round talents being downgraded due to medical red-flags, I'm being told. Baylor defensive tackle Phil Taylor, himself a veteran of 43 games played, is also under scrutiny. Apparently during his Combine check, there were various injuries that caused teams some concern, the most serious of which involves both feet. Taylor, according to MRIs taken at the Combine, has bones growing together in his feet. The condition, which according to the source is not correctable through surgery, is a pain tolerance issue. Considering that Taylor played much of his senior season at 330-340 pounds - and has allowed his weight to get into the 380s in the past - teams are concerned that his weight will only make the injury tougher to handle. "If he was a 190 pound player, it might be different. Or, if he was an older player and you were only signing him for a few years, it might be different," a source said. "But, it is pretty hard to invest a first round pick in a player who you know coming in is being red-flagged by the doctors." "This isn't just our team, by the way. Every team gets the MRIs. Every other team is seeing this too." I tested that theory, as it is important to remember that this is the time of year for NFL sources insinuating the truth (and, in the cases of some, flat-out lying) in an effort to push players down the board. Therefore, I contacted other sources within the league and did confirm with another source that Taylor's injuries were being red-flagged by his team's doctors, as well. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

Full Phil Taylor News Wire
Overview
Taylor arrived at Penn State in 2006 as a highly-recruited star out of Gwynn Park High School in Clinton, Mary. His career at State College got off to a promising start as he earned playing time in the final seven games of his true freshman season.

A knee injury during preseason drills cost Taylor his starting job to current Miami Dolphin Jared Odrick entering the 2007 season. He returned to play 12 games, including starting the final five contests.

However, an off-field incident in October would prove to be the beginning of the end of Taylor's time in Happy Valley. He was involved in a fight during a fraternity function at the student union. A felony aggravated assault charge was dismissed, and Taylor was charged with simple assault. That led to a suspension in February and ultimately his dismissal from the football program.

Taylor transferred to Baylor and sat out the 2008 season, but began to show increased maturity as he was selected in the spring of 2009 to the Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll. He played in all 12 games, including nine starts, as a junior, but didn't make a slew of impact plays.

It was his excellent 2010 season that put Taylor back on the map as an elite NFL prospect. He earned second-team All-Big 12 honors after making 62 tackles - the most by a Bears defensive lineman since Ethan Kelley in 2002 - to go along with seven tackles for loss and a pair of sacks.

Statistics don't tell the story with Taylor, however. He has a massive frame and extremely strong upper body, which makes him a rare natural fit as a 3-4 nose tackle in the NFL. And that's why 33 scouts flocked to Waco, Texas to watch his March 7 pro day. He impressed again, and has enjoyed an excellent pre-draft run that included strong showings at the Senior Bowl and the scouting combine.

If scouts are convinced Taylor's off-field immaturity is in the rearview mirror, his excellent strength and mobility for his size will push him close to the first round.

Analysis
Pass rush: Though his job is usually not to provide primary pass rush, he can push the pocket with strength and flashes quickness off the snap and a swim move to get past lesser centers. Gives good effort to reach the quarterback if he sits in the pocket too long. Tries violent hands to shed blocks. Not very effective on inside twists, though he can take out the left tackle when twisting outside to free up the defensive end. Once stood up by initial contact, it's tough for him to re-start his rush.

Run defense: Shows excellent strength and mobility as a run defender. Plays with leverage against double-teams and keeps his shoulders square to the line of scrimmage. Pushes back his man and spins off single and tandem blocks with balance to make the play. Moves down the line well, stays low despite his height to wrap up shorter backs. Willing and able to reach the sideline, takes deep angles to prevent huge runs. Defeats cut blocks and maintains balance to track down ballcarriers. Gets low in short-yardage and goal-line situations. Does not dominate smaller centers. At his best when used in a rotation.

Explosion: Explodes from four-point stance into blockers, consistently getting push up front. Gets off low and quick near goal line to set the line backwards. Despite his size, flashes the quickness to penetrate the "A" gap. Requires double-teams to keep him out of the backfield.

Strength: Huge frame and upper-body development give him the strength to be a 3-4 nose tackle at the next level. Moves offensive linemen to either side with relative ease when covering two gaps. Forces fumbles with one hand punching at the ball while ballcarrier comes through the hole. Uses leverage to hold the line against double teams.

Tackling: Running backs get swallowed up when crossing his path, and he can separate the ball from a ballcarrier with pure strength. Stays low despite his height and will capture backs from behind if they have not yet hit their stride. Chase and hustle are impressive for his size, will chase backs down the line, help linebackers make stops at the second level, and takes deep angles to chase down running backs 20 yards down the sideline.

Intangibles: Sprained his knee in 2007 preseason at Penn State, losing starting job to future first-round pick Jared Odrick. Charged with felony aggravated assault during a fraternity function at a Penn State student union in October 2007; the charge was eventually dropped. Really turned up his game the second half of 2010; scouts could see that as maturity or wonder if he can maintain that level of play.

Compares to: Kris Jenkins, Jets -- Big and powerful, Taylor projects nicely as an interior player in both the 4-3 and 3-4 alignments. If teams are convinced that the off-field concerns that prompted his transfer out of Penn State are a thing of the past, he could wind up a first-round pick.

--Chad Reuter

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
123 Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/phil-taylor?id=2495237

heres is his profile and info etc...

Phil Taylor (DL)

Height:
6'3"
Weight:
334 lbs.
Arm Length:
34 in.
Hand Size:
10 3/4 in.
College:
Baylor
Conference:
Big 12

Pick Analysis: The Browns nabbed a replacement for Shaun Rogers by trading up with the Chiefs. He gives new defensive coordinator Dick Jauron an anchor on the interior of the line. He is ideally suited to man the one-technique spot but could play over the top of the guard as the shaded defensive tackle. His run-stopping skills will certainly help the Browns in a division that features several physical offenses.

Combine Stats

40 Yard Dash5.14 Time

Bench Press31.0 Reps

Vertical Jump29.5 Height

Broad Jump100.0 Distance

3 Cone Drill7.75 Time

20 Yard Shuttle4.77 Time

60 Yard Shuttle- -

Taylor possesses the rare size and natural brute strength NFL front offices are looking for in a potential 3-4 nose tackle or two-gaper. Can anchor against the run, fight through double teams, uses his hands well, and doesn't necessarily need to come off the field on third down with his adequate pass rushing ability and good feet. A tendency to play high, limited range, in-game durability and some off-the-field red flags do hurt his stock. However, prospects with Taylor's size and ability don't grow on trees, so he shouldn't last past the middle rounds.

oioioioi
C
All Pro
All Pro
C
What happened the last time we traded up to get a player with medical concerns? He got injured. I think i could stomach this pick at #27 but we traded a 3rd for this load? I hope I am wrong, but I hate this pick. The experts here at our site mocked him in the 2nd round.

G
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
G
Quote:

What happened the last time we traded up to get a player with medical concerns? He got injured. I think i could stomach this pick at #27 but we traded a 3rd for this load? I hope I am wrong, but I hate this pick. The experts here at our site mocked him in the 2nd round.

We also recently drafted another young man who had some injury concerns and was also somewhat under the radar. He goes by the name of TJ Ward. All we can do is see how things play out.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Kiper had him going 24th to the Saints, OURLADs had him going 21st to the Chiefs, GBN Report had him going 29th to the Chiefs in a trade, and Scott Wright had him going 32nd to the Packers.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
As the write up says, there aren't too many 6'3", 335 LB guys out there.

Taylor carries his weight well and has a ton of experience in a good football conference.

He'll eat up blockers and let LB's run sideline to sideline.

Too early to judge. Beyond the top 9-10 picks, most of the guys from 10-45 completely blur together. The difference in rating is so small, it's splitting hairs to try and analyze who's better than who.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We snatched up 3-4 NT run stuffer with issues for our 4-3 D in a division that loves to throw the ball, and all it cost us was our 3rd round pick. Awesome!

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
K
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
K

It has to start somehow
C
All Pro
All Pro
C
Quote:

Quote:

We also recently drafted another young man who had some injury concerns and was also somewhat under the radar. He goes by the name of TJ Ward. All we can do is see how things play out.

We traded up to get Ward? I don't remember that.

W
2nd String
2nd String
W
Quote:

We snatched up 3-4 NT run stuffer with issues for our 4-3 D

Maybe we can get off the field on 3rd-and-short now! I'm jus' sayin'! Go Brownies!!!

Who Let Da Dawgs Out? Woof, Woof, Woof!!!!!
Legend
Legend
We took Ward with our 2nd rounder. We traded up to get Hardesty.

I just hope that I get to see Taylor CRUSH Roethlisberger next season.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Maybe we can get off the field on 3rd-and-short now! I'm jus' sayin'! Go Brownies!!!

or not always have 2nd and short to start with

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Maybe we can run some 2-5 looks this year with 720 pounds of defensive tackle.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, not sure what the upheaval is over this.

Browns run defense ranks:

2010: 27th
2009: 28th
2008: 28th
2007: 27th
2006: 29th

You win on defense by stopping the run. I get that there are some concerns with Taylor but the Browns want to neutralize the point of attack. Taylor and Rueben should do that.

Legend
Legend
We probably could have gotten Taylor at #37.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, not sure what the upheaval is over this.

Browns run defense ranks:

2010: 27th
2009: 28th
2008: 28th
2007: 27th
2006: 29th

You win on defense by stopping the run. I get that there are some concerns with Taylor but the Browns want to neutralize the point of attack. Taylor and Rueben should do that.

Not to mention some of the old men DTs will have at least 1 good young guy to rotate in with.

We're trying to throw the ball downfield and he checked the ball down to Trent Richardson and the Indians on the choice.
K
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
K
Im readin a lot of stuff now that says he could be a very good 3 technique DT...so perhaps he would be well suited to be our DT along with a guy like Rubin.

Im intrigued now. A 334 pound guy that seems to play like a guy who is 280/290...but, even if he can get handled by smaller guys like he has had a tendency to in college...he has 30-40 pounds on other DTs that teams have. I think we have our Pat Williams and Kevin Williams in him and Rubin.

Go with a DL of Jayme Mitchell, Phil Taylor, Ahtyba Rubin, and Matt Roth/Marcus Benard/FA/Draft Pick?

That could be tough to move on

It has to start somehow
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

How can you even remotely surmise that?

Do you have draft boards for all the teams from picks 21-36?

There was a run on DT's and Taylor was rated higher than Austin, Paea, Casey, etc.

There's no sense in waiting if you want a DT. Taylor was the last guy left with a first round grade. Why wait and hope he's there when you have a stockpile of picks?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

We snatched up 3-4 NT run stuffer with issues for our 4-3 D in a division that loves to throw the ball, and all it cost us was our 3rd round pick. Awesome!

Seriously. I want to be wrong, I really really really really do.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well, i don't know if we've finished above 25th in run defense since our return to the league. I'd like to see that fixed sometime before I kick the bucket.

Hopefully.....HOPEFULLY....this is a start.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Quote:

Quote:

It'd be nice to see we may some kind of run D now. I was really afraid we'd go for the smaller, faster DT types.

We're trying to throw the ball downfield and he checked the ball down to Trent Richardson and the Indians on the choice.
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I dont like the 3rd round pick, but this guy wouldn't have made it to 27 ... he was supposedly the best nose tackle ... and I wouldnt be surprised to see someone try to go get him .... especially a pittsburgh or a baltimore?

Who knows. For now ... he's a brown, and I can't wait to see the rest of the picks. Hopefully we can continue rebuilding the defensive side ... and next year we will have enough ammunition to take anyone we want.

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
J/C

I remember not so long ago, was it KNIGHT? that was talking about how bad our defense was and we couldn't get off the field.

Not a sexy pick to be sure, and I am surprised actually that they didn't go offense given the coach they hired but right now, instead of saying nay nay nay!! I rather mull it over, see the guy play and hope that the deal was worth it.

And don't forget gentleman, we have a TON of other picks to work with still.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Umm, like NO WAY?

Several teams would have taken him before that..debatable if he'd make it to #27 but I like to go for what you really want...Colts, the Chiefs themselves and surely the Seahawks were candidates to pick Taylor...

I think it's a great pick at a value position which sets up the draft perfectly position wise....there simply weren't many more 3 down DTs left...he was the most balanced along with Paea and he surely wins the size battle with Paea....good pick, trust me

Read this:

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/huddlenotes/?p=532

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I don't hate the pick, I hate the pick we took where we took it and don't agree with what it cost us. I seriously hope the guy is a beast. He better be, we have one less pick because of him.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
After seeing all these teams go DL, there is no way we were gonna get Taylor at 27.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
Legend
Legend
Quote:

After seeing all these teams go DL, there is no way we were gonna get Taylor at 27.

THIS!! I'm good w/ the pick.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Strengths:
• Excellent size and bulk with a big frame
• Very strong, powerful and physical
• Nice balance and stays on his feet
• Stout at the point of attack and can anchor
• Able to take on and occupy multiple blockers
• Does a terrific job of stuffing the run
• Good bull rusher and will push the pocket
• Violent hands and uses them well
• Aggressive and plays with an edge
• Offers some schematic versatility

Weaknesses:
• Weight, conditioning and stamina are problematic
• Not very fast, quick, agile or explosive
• Doesn't always play with proper leverage
• Not real mobile and lacks great range
• Is awfully limited as a pass rusher
• Questionable instincts and awareness
• Might have some durability issues
• Character concerns after off-the-field trouble

Notes:
Began college career at Penn State, where he redshirted then started five games over the next two years --- Arrested on assault charges following a fight at a frat party in 2008 and after initially being suspended was dismissed from the Nittany Lion football team and opted to transfer --- Was a two-year starter for the Bears --- Named 2nd Team All-Big 12 in 2010 --- Was hampered by a sprained knee in '07 and missed time with a turf toe in '09 --- Showed lots of potential early in career then struggled as a junior before really coming on as a senior and improving draft stock -- Possesses intriguing size and profiles as a prototypical nose tackle in a even (4-3) or odd (3-4) front.

Link

#gmstrong
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Not even out of the 1st round and we have had 2 trades ... still have 8 picks to work with including 2 tomorrow... right? And who thinks we wont make some moves anyways?

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I hear stuff but who would have taken him. It was a bunch of 4-3's after us. The Chiefs, the Ravens? I doubt that. We obviously did it for a reason but a 3-4 NT who has an in-operable physical problem and a questionable additude for our very slow defense that is moving to a faster scheme... it just doens't make sense on a dozen levels.

And I'm watching vid of the kid and it's NOT making me feel better. No push, single teams, nothing special. Big and slow.

Last edited by 10YrOvernightSuccess; 04/28/11 11:41 PM.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Who do you like for round 2?

Daquan Bowers
Aaron Williams
Kyle Rudolph
Akeem Ayers
Justin Houston
Brandon Harris
Ryan Mallet
Stephen Paea
Marvin Austin
Brooks Reed
Andy Dalton
Mikel Lashoure
Jabaal Sheard
Martez Wilson
Christian Ballard
Ras I-Dowling
Titus Young
Bruce Carter
Rahim Moore

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
M
1st String
1st String
M
Quote:

Who do you like for round 2?

Daquan Bowers
Aaron Williams
Kyle Rudolph
Akeem Ayers
Justin Houston
Brandon Harris
Ryan Mallet
Stephen Paea
Marvin Austin
Brooks Reed
Andy Dalton
Mikel Lashoure
Jabaal Sheard
Martez Wilson
Christian Ballard
Ras I-Dowling
Titus Young
Bruce Carter
Rahim Moore

I hate saying this, but no one on that list outside of Bowers intrigues me. All decent players and could be some stars in there, but the only one that is going to make me say YES! is Bowers.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Your new Brown...Pick #21!

Link Copied to Clipboard