Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend
Quote:

its over for the players via the court system. June 3rd is just a formality at this point. If they want to play football, they need to get back to the negotiation table and work out a fair CBA. Their only hope is to win big on the TV revenue suit and even that seems likely to get appealed to the 8th circuit as well.

I didn't read it that way.. I thought it was a temporary deal with the final decision coming the first week of June,.,,

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Two of the Three Judges have twice now favored the Owners over the Players. No one expects any different on June 3rd. If that happens the Players can appeal to the entire 15 Judge panel but again that will take time and won't happen till late July early August and then we are missing football.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Legend
Legend
The original ruling was set to expire on June 3.

The stay is until that date.

Effectively, this ends the lower court's ruling. The lower court is not going to repeat or try to extend a ruling that has already been overturned by a higher court on appeal.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
NFL, players renew mediation day after key ruling
CBSSports.com wire reports
May 17, 2011

MINNEAPOLIS -- NFL owners and players and their legal counsel have returned to court for another round of mediation.

Commissioner Roger Goodell arrived Tuesday morning with other league leaders, and other owners entered the courthouse in separate small groups. Linebacker Mike Vrabel showed up shortly before attorneys for the players.

This is the sixth day of talks with U.S. Magistrate Judge Arthur Boylan.

After a series of stinging rebukes in court, the NFL has a significant, favorable ruling in hand. The same three-judge panel that sided with the league to keep the lockout in place will hear arguments next month on the legality of the NFL's first work stoppage in nearly 24 years. The hearing at the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals will be June 3 in St. Louis.

With restlessness and uncertainty surrounding the league with the start of training camps a little more than two months away, the players could be in a tricky place. The appellate court's ruling gave strong indication it will side with the NFL in this fight over the division and future of the ever-popular professional sport.

DeMaurice Smith, executive director of the NFL Players Association, sounded defiant outside the courthouse in Minneapolis on Monday despite the 2-1 decision from the three-judge panel.

"We look forward to the argument. Look: This is something that the players are prepared for," Smith said. "It's a disappointment obviously, but as far as we can tell this is the first sports league in history who sued to not play its game. Congratulations."

The owners want to stay out of court, blaming the players for preferring litigation. The players claim they're only interested in playing and that the owners are preventing them and fans from enjoying the game.

"We have an opportunity to resolve this matter and get the game back on the field, and that really should be our exclusive focus," NFL lead negotiator Jeff Pash said.

Goodell, speaking to Buffalo Bills season ticket holders on a conference call, said he thinks there's "still time" to strike a new collective bargaining agreement.

"But time is running short. It's time to get back to the table and get those issues resolved," Goodell said.

NFLPA president Kevin Mawae said he was disappointed with the 8th Circuit's decision.

"The ruling in granting the stay of the injunction means that the NFL owners can continue to not let football be played," he said.

The appellate court said it believes the NFL has proven it "likely will suffer some degree of irreparable harm without a stay." The court also cast doubt on the conclusions of U.S. District Judge Susan Richard Nelson, who ruled April 25 that the lockout should be lifted to save the players from irreversible damage. The 8th Circuit panel put her decision on hold four days later, and this order was a more permanent stay of her ruling.

"Both sides raise valid points, and this is a case in which one party or the other likely will suffer some degree of irreparable harm no matter how this court resolves the motion for a stay pending appeal," the majority wrote. "We do not agree, however, with the district court's apparent view that the balance of the equities tilts heavily in favor of the Players. The district court gave little or no weight to the harm caused to the League by an injunction issued in the midst of an ongoing dispute over terms and conditions of employment."

The appellate court said it would make its decision quickly, a "circumstance that should minimize harm to the players during the offseason and allow the case to be resolved well before the scheduled beginning of the 2011 season."

The two sides met for more than eight hours before Boylan on Monday, the first time since April 20. Neither side would elaborate on the discussions, citing the judge's confidentiality order. Michael Hausfeld, an attorney for the retired players who joined the antitrust lawsuit against the league, said the players were reviewing a new proposal from the owners.

"It probably is not one that would be acceptable as is, but it clearly opens a dialogue," Hausfeld said.

That's at least a sign of some progress in the talks, which went on for 16 days in Washington without an agreement before they picked up in Minneapolis at Nelson's order.

But with matters still pending in the court, significant movement in positions seems unlikely.

The 8th Circuit's decision to keep the lockout in place could be a signal of how the two sides will fare in the full appeal. The majority opinion, from Judges Steven Colloton and Duane Benton, sided with the NFL. Judge Kermit Bye dissented in favor of the players.

"The district court reasoned that this case does not involve or grow out of a labor dispute because the players no longer are represented by a union," the majority wrote. "We have considerable doubt about this interpretation."

Legend
Legend
Quote:

DeMaurice Smith, executive director of the NFL Players Association, sounded defiant outside the courthouse in Minneapolis on Monday despite the 2-1 decision from the three-judge panel.

"We look forward to the argument. Look: This is something that the players are prepared for," Smith said. "It's a disappointment obviously, but as far as we can tell this is the first sports league in history who sued to not play its game. Congratulations."

Boy, he sure sounds ready for effective negotiation. Aren't the players sick of his crap by now?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Boy, he sure sounds ready for effective negotiation. Aren't the players sick of his crap by now?

DeMaurice Smith= The problem here....this guy isnt effected at all by this, he is loving having his face all over the tv, and news. I would really hope that the players realize that Smith isnt in this for them. I sure hope they get a deal done soon...I cant wait to order my Sidney Rice jersey after we sign him via FA

#brownsgoodkarma
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

If Maurice Jones Drew is any indication of the players perspective of the situation and of D Smith, no they aren't sick of it. Listening on Sirius radio with MJD hosting a show in the evening was catching hell from most of the callers about how the players aren't partners but employees and he vehemently disagrees with the callers.

He wants to be taken care of the rest of his life by the NFL because he was talented enough to play and paid a small fortune to do so for however long he plays and he shouldn't have to spend his money he made on health care, the NFL should foot that bill.

He was going on about how he has to buy season tickets for his son to see him play and he's paying the same $10,000 a year the fans are. Forgetting the fact that the 10 grand to him is not the same as the 10 grand to the fans.

When I listen to these players rant about how unfair their life is, I think I'd rather see the NFL sit out the year, maybe two and let these guys get real jobs for a dose of reality.

#GMSTRONG
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

If Maurice Jones Drew is any indication of the players perspective of the situation and of D Smith, no they aren't sick of it. Listening on Sirius radio with MJD hosting a show in the evening was catching hell from most of the callers about how the players aren't partners but employees and he vehemently disagrees with the callers.

He wants to be taken care of the rest of his life by the NFL because he was talented enough to play and paid a small fortune to do so for however long he plays and he shouldn't have to spend his money he made on health care, the NFL should foot that bill.

He was going on about how he has to buy season tickets for his son to see him play and he's paying the same $10,000 a year the fans are. Forgetting the fact that the 10 grand to him is not the same as the 10 grand to the fans.

When I listen to these players rant about how unfair their life is, I think I'd rather see the NFL sit out the year, maybe two and let these guys get real jobs for a dose of reality.

I agree. I think the fans are going to start turning on them real soon - and when that happens I can't wait for the idiotic things that will be flowing from the players mouths. I've never been on their side, but I am in the minority I think. I can't believe that they do not believe they are employees but partners. Do they put any of their money towards the expenses of the club? If the answer is no MJD then sorry to tell you, you're not a partner.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

And it's idiots like this that will turn the fans against the players even quicker.

First of all - he must get his son some dang good tickets.

Secondly, what makes him think he's special enough to play football for a few years and then deserve to be taken care of the rest of his life? What's he do with his money? Oh, that's right - he's NOT just like the fans.

Thirdly, he is proof positive of the disconnect between the players and us commoners. These players think they are the league? They don't live in the real world. A few of them get it - most don't. For those that do, good for them. For those that don't - no sense trying to explain it to them. They're the ones (something like 60 or 70% I believe?) that will be bankrupt and broke within 3 years of being out of football.

Sadly, I don't feel sorry for most of them.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Hey Maurice....if you are a partner, you can turn over the Jacksonville books for examination by Smith and the others.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Mac....it isn't about conservative, liberal etc.

Peen...we disagree...imagine that !

Next your going to tell me that there is no politics in our legal system...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
If this becomes a battle in the media the players will get crushed because there is a lot more of them and they are a lot less intelligent, generally, than owners and GMs and they are going to say some really stupid stuff.. reference above from MJD...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

The owners want to stay out of court, blaming the players for preferring litigation. The players claim they're only interested in playing and that the owners are preventing them and fans from enjoying the game.

So, I need to get this straight Mr. Smith,....who filed the suit and for what purpose ?

If I had been an owner, I would have just shut it all down and started over.

Maurice-Jones-Drew doesn't publically represent the players with his mis-spokenness, but I'll bet he does the majority's private thought.

Grab a shovel MJD, let's see how you do.

Legend
Legend
Thanks, Ballpeen. Is there anybody they answer to who can> I mean against the NFL's will? Lot of money being flushed down a sewer if we aren't signing contracts for gear, media, endorsements, the whole shebang.
Numbers go up dramatically when stadiums and camps open as far as direct and indirect employment.

I know I am stating the obvious, but is there some point where some entity can impose or resolve this even temporarily by way of advocating for the fans and other little guys? So frustrating.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

If this becomes a battle in the media the players will get crushed because there is a lot more of them and they are a lot less intelligent, generally, than owners and GMs and they are going to say some really stupid stuff.. reference above from MJD...

even the media articles "supporting" them end up coming off as crass.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I know I am stating the obvious, but is there some point where some entity can impose or resolve this even temporarily by way of advocating for the fans and other little guys? So frustrating.

There is congress. They have done a bang up job backing baseball players into a corner then getting to tell some half truths then calling them back in to send them to jail... all of which has done NOTHING to stop steroids in baseball but I'm sure it makes the congressmen feel important.. and they might as well try to fix football since it could only divert their attention and slow the progress on destroying the rest of the country.

yebat' Putin
N
Legend
Legend
N
don't forget that they are spending hundreds of millions of dollars to prosecute said baseball players. because that is money well worth it

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
A little humor to help football fans endure...PFT story below..

With lockout in overdrive, Colts try to sell preseason tickets

by Mike Florio on May 18, 2011

Monday’s ruling from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit resulted in a very strong indication that the lockout won’t be lifted. The Indianapolis Colts have celebrated that development by declaring that preseason tickets are available to be purchased.

And so, as our friends at StampedeBlue.com point out, you can for only $136 buy a ticket to a game that doesn’t count, and that probably won’t even be played.

Then again, when else would you have a chance to see Peyton Manning, you know, stand on the sidelines with his arms crossed?

web page

......ANY TAKERS?....

Legend
Legend
Buyer beware.. they will accept your money with no problem.. but refunding it.. bet they don't do that without keeping some of it and putting the fans through hell to get it back.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Buyer beware.. they will accept your money with no problem.. but refunding it.. bet they don't do that without keeping some of it and putting the fans through hell to get it back.

Hot...exactly...buyer beware !

...also, I'm sure there is no mention of which Colt players will be on the field for these planned preseason games.

Colt fans may watching a Peyton Manning look alike, standing on the sidelines if they fall for this "con job".

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

If the games aren't played, they will refund the money.

I think this means the owners now feel the players will feel some pressure and go from the position of not wanting to negotiate anything to having a serious discussion.

But yeah...why would anybody who isn't a season ticket holder pay full value for a preseason game??

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Eighth Circuit’s “serious doubts” fuel apparently powerful argument by players

Posted by Mike Florio on May 21, 2011

After spending two hours at the Nike outlet store near Washington, Pa. waiting for Florio Jr. to pick out new shoes and T-shirts and shorts, I decided to do something far less tedious when I got home.

I read the 89-page brief filed by the players who have sued the NFL for various antitrust violations, with the initial goal of overturning the lockout. The document bears the names of 13 lawyers, some of whom possibly charge in excess of $1,000 per hour for their time. Thus, in addition to the fact that revenue has dried up, the lawyers on both sides of this fight undoubtedly are racking up some gigantic bills.

Confronted with a three-judge panel including two judges who have expressed “serious doubts” regarding the ability of Judge Nelson to lift the lockout, the players wasted no time. In the introduction to the brief, the players describe the ruling to which the Eighth Circuit has hinted as a “perverse outcome” that “can be predicated only on a seriously erroneous construction of labor law, abetted by a misapprehension of the facts of this dispute.”

In other words, the players are arguing in a very tactful way that the judges would have to be corrupt and/or stupid to eventually find that Judge Nelson lacked the power to lift the lockout.

The brief next calls the NFL a “cartel,” a term that in maxy respects is accurate but that has a distinctly negative connotation. It was, frankly, a stroke of genius for the lawyers to capture the league’s essence in such a simple yet powerful word. Unfortunately, the lawyers used the term only three times in the entire brief.

Eventually, the lawyers take on — with a vengeance — the argument that the Norris-LaGuardia Act prevents district courts from issuing injunctions against lockouts. Though Monday’s ruling from the Eighth Circuit contained language hinting strongly at an eventual finding that the Norris-LaGuardia Act prevents federal courts from lifting the lockout, the comments apparently have served as a proverbial cattle prod to the lawyers, prompting them to articulate their reasoning in a manner that seems incredibly persuasive, possibly even more persuasive than it would have been without the express warning from the Eighth Circuit.

Then again, NFL lawyer David Boies also seemed incredibly persuasive before Judge Nelson. And then she ruled against him.

As to the other arguments, the players’ lawyers have fashioned equally compelling contentions. Of course, the NFL presumably will submit an equally compelling reply.

In the end, the outcome will be determined by the arguments that at least two of the three judges find to be more compelling. Though the judges who agreed to stay the order lifting the lockout until resolution of the appeal have expressed “serious doubts” regarding the question of whether the Norris-LaGuardia Act permits the lifting of a lockout, keep in mind the possibility that one or both of the judges were hoping to apply some extra pressure to the players in the hopes of sparking real progress at a mediation session that was occurring on the same day that the ruling was issued.

Thus, there’s a chance that one of the two judges who expressed “serious doubts” will resolve these doubts in favor of agreeing with the players. That in itself could be the difference between the lifting of the lockout, along with a virtual guarantee that football will happen in 2011 — and the preservation of the lockout, along with a strong possibility that no football will be played this year.

The answer will most likely come at some point in the month of June. Given the players’ brief and in light of the possibility that the judges were merely hoping to give the players an incentive to try to work something out, we won’t be surprised if the lockout is lifted — and we won’t be surprised if it isn’t.

web page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm a little surprised that someone actually read the entire 89 page brief filed by the players.

I'm also surprised that Florio, who is a lawyer, believes the players have made a good case, based on "the laws", to have the lockout lifted.

He also discusses the possibility that the Eighth Circuit (the two Republican judges, to be accurate), are merely attempting to push the players to resolve this case via mediation, by using the language (expressing) “serious doubts” that the players would prevail.

Florio says, "we won't be surprised if the lockout is lifted — and we won't be surprised if it isn't"

I continue to believe that "politics" will rule the day in the Eighth Circuit and the two GOP judges will make up some BS ruling to find in favor of their buddies, the NFL owners.

...in this case, within the Eighth Circuit, it's not about the rule of law...it's about the political makeup of the court. Maybe the two GOP judges are hoping a deal gets done before they are forced to give their ruling.

I'm hoping "no deal" gets done so the Eighth Circuit is forced to make a ruling, hopefully based on rule of law. If I'm wrong about the Eighth Circuit, I will gladly apologize...but my money is still on the "rule of politics" over the "rule of law", in this case.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Maybe you can explain the laws to us??

As i explained to you some time back, it doesn't hurt a thing to keep the lockout in place until a final ruling is delivered.

It would have created a big mess to open things for a few weeks to then shut it down again.

Once teams start signing free agents, you can't shut things down in the middle of that process.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Nice insight, Ballpeen. I think keeping it buttoned up until it is resolved is the best for now as well. I just hope that the precedent either way is clear enough to be far-reaching to avoid this crap altogether in the future.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
T
Legend
Legend
T
Can I come up with a CBA in which nobody loses? Except the agents and the lawyers anyway? Well I couldn't a week ago, but I think I have, unfortunately there is no way anyone would listen to me.

It is more of an outline of an arrangement than solid numbers, because the numbers could be negotiated, and it may not be considered legal because it would be pretty heavy handed, but the whole system was unique because of the sport anyway.
I wish they would consider it because I think it could be a compromise and bring football back quickly, Of course the numbers could be neg. and I don't know how they would figure out the insurance and post career retirement compensation but those aren't the biggest problems.

The key I think lies in a MANDATE to both sides, players and clubs that contracts be 3 years with a 1st year guarantee. And of course clubs would just pro rate the 2nd and 3rd year so nothing was guaranteed, unless you mandated that it be = each year and then clubs would just cut players after the 1st year.

Until you mandate that that club would be no longer eligible to re sign that player until the original contracts 3 years were up, making the player a free agent to 31 other teams as soon as 1 year in the league ( and if that club cut him after 1 yr he would still be eligible to 30 other teams.

But true free agency wouldn't start until after 7 or 6 seasons, and until then any of the 32 clubs would only be able to offer the mandated 3 yr with the 1st year guaranteed = through the 3 years contract.

a x million per year max for players in the first 3 years of the league.

and x (higher) per year max for players in the year 4-7 years and
an x (higher) million per year max for anyone in the league. Say 9.1 million

then there is the superman clause, ( names probably copywrighted)

The Superman clause would convene in the offseason of players in the 4th through the end of their careers and attempt to decide who are the top 40 most marketed players in the league.
Only players who have played 3 years would qualify, so Sam Bradford and Colt McCoy wouldn't yet be eligible but Troy Palamulu and Ray Lewis would.

Couldn't decide who best to decide these top 40 players , coaches, league, nflpa, fans, all have conflicts unless there was a panel and vote by fans and they collaborated to decide who were in the top 20, 30, and 40 most marketed players in the league.

a top 40 player would be eligible to expand their max salary 1, or (x) plus million a year
a top 30 player 2 million, or (x) plus million a year
a top 20 player 3 million or (x ) plus million a year

the rookie minimum would go up , probably double
there could be a vet minimum for players after their 3rd year in the league probably 30-50% more than the rookie minimum

there could be a vet minimum for players after 6 years probably 30-50% more than the 3 yr vet minimum ... so longevity would benefit even players like Pontbriand and Dawson.

out of time.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
Legend
B
A vote by fans???

They are the least qualified IMO.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

A vote by fans???

They are the least qualified IMO.

That's like letting people who don't pay taxes vote on tax issu..e..s ......

Oh never mind .....

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Funny,...I didn't want to start a whole new thread because there just isn't that much interest, but the fans put EarnDirt Junior in the All-Star Race last night, and that is a travesty. And I like the kid.

Fans do not know jack,....

Me included.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

Can I come up with a CBA in which nobody loses?

No you cant. Because one side will always want more. Will always feel cheated. Will always be looking to make out better in the next deal. Human nature doesnt allow for nobody to lose. Everybody can lose, such as we are doing now. But there is no scenario possible in wich nobody loses.
Even if its only the rookies coming in, somebody is going to lose.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Funny,...I didn't want to start a whole new thread because there just isn't that much interest, but the fans put EarnDirt Junior in the All-Star Race last night, and that is a travesty. And I like the kid.

Fans do not know jack,....

Me included.

Spot-on analogy....

Legend
Legend
Lots like a high school prom queen or student council or class officer election: Popularity. Fans are not the answer; they vote with PSL and ticket money.

Legend
Legend
I like some of your stuff there; seeing numbers work would help validate it. I might suggest consideration of the following that are intended for the Game, which the two sides should work at in a shared sense of priority. After all, no NFL football, no problems for either side. I would put some sensible limits on rookie pay until they do something tangible for the club and the game. Shift more money to vets, and most to long staying players of worth. Longer money for longer contracts. We wouldn't have the "mystique" of Jim Brown if he had played for three or four teams; it has to be worth something. I would allow almost any and all incentive escalators. Whatever sells tickets and gear is good for all. But I think the one idea here strikes me as good here is to address the players' interest in helping to a greater degree those veterans who have physical issues and conditions after retiring or being forced from the league. The owners take huge money off the top; I suggest a dedicated and meaningful amount go to players' side of the ledger for these players with physical issues for bills and insurance. The two sides can squabble over the leftovers to hearts' content, but there is incentive there to help the earlier players who need help. I just want all this to end. Most people seeking fair treatment want MORE than fair. Merely some other ideas to consider.

N
Legend
Legend
N
J/C

this seems the best thread for this one. If Ken Dorsey ends up a Panthers coach once things are resolved, then will they be penalized? It sure seems like that is the setup here.

interesting too as it's Chud and Dorsey:

Quote:

Cam gets a very apt mentor.

Remember Ken Dorsey? Big career at Miami (Fla.) a decade ago, with some limited success as a (mostly) NFL backup quarterback. Interesting that he just finished eight days working with the first pick in the draft, Carolina quarterback Cam Newton, and they'll be back at it again today in Bradenton, Fla.

There's a good reason Dorsey and Newton have become workout and classroom partners. In 2001 and 2002, Dorsey, at Miami, was coached by Hurricane offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski. In 2007 and 2008, Dorsey, with the Cleveland Browns, was coached by Browns offensive coordinator Chudzinski.

Newton was able to get a Carolina playbook, with Panthers offensive coordinator Chudzinski's encyclopedic offense, to take with him during the lockout. Dorsey spent last week instructing Newton in the finer points of the offense, in addition to telling him the expectations and coaching methods of Chudzinski.

"The best way to describe it,'' said the quarterback coach who readied Newton for his pre-draft workouts, George Whitfield, "is it's like an old pilot grooming a new pilot to take over his plane. The old pilot's teaching him about every one of the controls in the cockpit.''

It sounds smart and valuable. Compared to the other highly drafted quarterbacks, Newton ought to be as advanced as he can be when the lockout ends. How important will that be? We'll see, because there's going to be a tremendous amount of pressure on the Panthers to play Newton early.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/05/22/mmqb/index.html#ixzz1NBuQOGY3

Last edited by no_logo_required; 05/23/11 12:28 PM.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If Ken Dorsey ends up a Titans coach once things are resolved, then will they be penalized?

I don't see why... he's not a coach right now.

I'd expect that there is a lot of this going on. Both sides need to stick to their guns on the negotiating side, but each club also needs to do what it can get away with to be as prepared as possible for whatever season there may be. Sooner or later, one way or another, there WILL be football again and the teams just need to be ready, but at the same time the legal junk has to get out of the way.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

If Ken Dorsey ends up a Titans coach once things are resolved, then will they be penalized? It sure seems like that is the setup here.

Why would the Titans be penalized if Dorsey is working with Carolina's no. 1 pick?

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

If Ken Dorsey ends up a Titans coach once things are resolved, then will they be penalized? It sure seems like that is the setup here.

Why would the Titans be penalized if Dorsey is working with Carolina's no. 1 pick?

because I screwed up

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
yeah, but if there is strong suspicion that the Panthers purposely kept Dorsey off the staff to do this (they did have the #1 pick, so they could have known what they were going to do), and there is any evidence of contact between Dorsey and the coaching staff (emails, etc), then I could see other teams crying foul and demanding some sort of retribution.

there are many, many ways to cheat the system right now, and I'm just curious to see how much the NFL really wants to dig into it.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yeah, there could definitely be a scenario where the Panthers would get punished. But, that would really depend on the facts. Is Dorsey an independent guy, but having Newton run through all the Panthers' plays just from coincidence? Or having him do all the drills he'll do at the Panthers camp, just from coincidence? Those are the types of things that could get them in trouble.

But, if it's just Newton is working with Dorsey, and the Panthers feel like it's important to keep some continuity for him and therefore hire Dorsey, I don't see that as being a problem.

JMHO

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Yeah, yea, like we could cut Delhomme, and have him just accidently work with McCoy, because Delhomme knows ..... Wait, never mind.

Legend
Legend
Well, aside from that being so far into "What If Land" that it isn't worth even thinking about, who's to say that they kept him off the staff to do this? Easy solution: they simply say that they brought him onto the staff because of how well he did this.... it's far more believable, too simply due to him having never coached.
Plausible deniability.

Teams can cry all they want, but even the NFL will wait until it has something solid before it will doing anything... after all, it is in the NFL's best long term interest to have this stuff going on. If it gives a #1 Overall a better showing going into the season, that builds hype, which puts butts in seats.... and other teams won't cry too loudly lest they get looked at closer, themselves.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement Part 5

Link Copied to Clipboard