Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Legend
Legend
If we go 2-14 against the cakewalk schedule we have this year, then we'll be headed for another tear down with a whole lot of people being fired. This year's schedule, outside of our division games which never change, is so much easier than last year's that we should fall blindly into 6 wins.If we don't win 7 or 8 I will be stunned. If we win 2, someone's probably getting fired.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
With Manning out a while in Indy I am expecting 2 wins to start the season.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

If we go 2-14 against the cakewalk schedule we have this year, then we'll be headed for another tear down with a whole lot of people being fired. This year's schedule, outside of our division games which never change, is so much easier than last year's that we should fall blindly into 6 wins.If we don't win 7 or 8 I will be stunned. If we win 2, someone's probably getting fired.

No doubt the schedule is one of the easiest...

Not gonna predict any record but...

Defensively we are way 2 light in depth...We're gonna give up some points I'm sure...

Offensively is what should dictate any W's & L's...

This offense is made for a guy like McCoy...I see us putting up 30 some weeks...10 other weeks...What's gonna dictate that and the record is going to fall flat on the Offensive Line...And we've got a good one...

The weeks we keep McCoy CLEAN are the weeks we will be in games and win many...With time and a pocket this kid can tear apart a defense...Weeks when he's on his ass constantly are the weeks we score 10 and lose...

Go Browns!!!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Just some stuff from "Season Predictions" on NFL.com...

Cleveland Browns
www.clevelandbrowns.com
2010 record: 5-11 (Third in AFC North)

Promising young QB could lead revival in Dawg Pound

Fearless Forecast

• Jason La Canfora

Switching to a 4-3 will take some time and they need to continue adding talent on that side of the ball. Colt McCoy could establish himself, though.
Prediction: 6-10, third in AFC North

• Steve Wyche

Pat Shurmer has quickly changed the vibe and outlook after the Eric Mangini Era. If the Browns can win a few games early, they might gain the confidence to pull out some surprise wins. This is a team worth keeping an eye on.
Prediction: 7-9, third in AFC North

• Pat Kirwan

Having a new head coach, coordinators and scheme on both sides of the ball as well as a starting QB with less than 1 season of experience spells rebuild.
Prediction: 4-12, third in AFC North

• Bucky Brooks

Pat Shurmur has a promising quarterback -- Colt McCoy -- in place to lead a dramatic turnaround in the Dawg Pound.
Prediction: 7-9, third in AFC North

• Elliot Harrison

This club was a lot better than their record indicated last year. With a lift from the weak NFC West, and improved quarterback play, the Browns can get to 6-7 wins. Much depends on the average WRs, and the defense still lacks a pass rush.
Prediction: 6-10, third in AFC North

On The Hotseat

Colt McCoy | #12 | QB

The Browns resisted the urge to nab a quarterback in the draft in hopes of rebuilding their offense around McCoy. The second-year pro has shown potential, but must deliver results quickly to help the Browns compete in the tough AFC North.

How many wins will the Browns have in 2011?

0-4_3%

5-8_59%

9-11_35%

12 or more_3%

* Total Votes: 2110

3 Pivotal Games

Week 1 vs. Bengals

One of the Browns' five victories last season came in Week 4 against the AFC North rival Bengals. Coach Pat Shurmur would like nothing better than to get his team off to a fast start in his debut and could come out with some surprises against the Bengals.

Week 10 vs. Rams

Shurmur gets to face his former team and pupil Sam Bradford for the first time. Shurmur knows Bradford as well as anyone, and this could be an opportunity to take advantage of that knowledge. Colt McCoy was taken 84 picks after Bradford and has a chance to prove he's a winner.

Week 17 vs. Steelers

The Browns have a big opportunity to play spoiler in the AFC North if they fall out of the playoff race. Cleveland faces Baltimore or Pittsburgh in four of its final five games. Don't forget, the Browns had back-to-back wins against the Saints and Patriots last season, and upset the Steelers two seasons ago to all but end Pittsburgh's playoff chances.

NFL.com

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Just some stuff from "Season Predictions" on NFL.com...

Cincinnati Bengals
www.bengals.com
2010 record: 4-12 (Fourth in AFC North)

Hopes go beyond 2011 with rookie QB, WR in prominent roles

Fearless Forecast

• Jason La Canfora

Starting a rookie QB, worried about where the pass rush will come from and Carson Palmer seems content on the beach.
Prediction: 4-12, fourth in AFC North

• Steve Wyche

When the buzz entering training camp is negative tone setter about the loss of cornerback Jonathan Joseph, hope might not spring eternal. Now Carson Palmer, who'd rather retire than be a part of the team, says the franchise if spiting him by toying with his brother Jordan. I thought the drama was gone when T.O. and Chad weren't invited back.
Prediction: 3-13, fourth in AFC North

• Pat Kirwan

A rookie quarterback, rookie wide receiver and the loss of a very good corner spells trouble, especially in a division with Pittsburgh and Baltimore.

• Bucky Brooks

The Bengals ushered in a youth movement to rejuvenate the franchise, but Marvin Lewis will soon realize the difficulty in relying on several rookies in key roles.
Prediction: 2-14, fourth in AFC North

• Elliot Harrison

Andy Dalton will get better, but it's going to take time. Ditto A.J. Green. The defense is going to miss Jonathan Jospeh, and an offense that can't keep it off the field in the early going.

On The Hotseat

A.J. Green | #18 | WR

Green replaced the departed Chad Ochocinco as the No. 1 receiver. His ability to quickly acclimate to the pro game will be critical to the Bengals' hopes.

How many wins will the Bengals have in 2011?

0-4_41%

5-8_40%

9-11_15%

12 or more_4%

* Total Votes: 1443

3 Pivotal Games

Week 1 at Browns

This game will represent the beginning of a new era at quarterback. Carson Palmer is out and it appears to be Andy Dalton's show. A win over the Browns could set up the Bengals for a nice start. Their next three games are against sub-.500 teams from last season and appear winnable, even with a rookie QB starting.

Week 10 vs. Texans

The Bengals lost Johnathan Joseph in free agency to the Texans. Cincinnati's first-round pick A.J. Green will get a chance to go up against Joseph in this matchup, giving the rookie receiver a chance to see how he measures up against a skilled cornerback.

Week 17 vs. Ravens

The Bengals beat the Ravens in Week 2 last year in a game that had meaning. Will Cincinnati be forced to play spoiler in this late-season matchup with likely playoff implications for Baltimore? The Bengals finish with consecutive home games, a chance to show how a young team has grown.

NFL.com

#gmstrong
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
i see a 4-5 win season....if we get lucky and have very few injuries and a few ball bounces...we could hit 7...maybe....

there is no such thing as an "easy schedule" in the NFL...the difference between the Super bowl Winner and the 4-12 team in terms of talent in the NFL is very very small.....none of the teams on our schedule would i take for granted....the NFL is a tough haul....

we lack explosive playmakers...really Cribbs is the ONLY GUY on this team that has proven he is an explosive playmaker....Hillis is a good back...but he isn't explosive...he isn't "lightening in a bottle" like Cribbs is who can explode in any second.....Cribbs is still our only bona fide playmaker....

Name anyone else on this team that can do something like this:

until we get a few more guys who can do stuff like this...we can't really expect more then 5 or 6 wins....

Legend
Legend
Till we see how we do against a team like Cinci (who a lot of people are saying will be pretty bad), it's tough to really give a good prediction.

There are a lot of unknowns with this team right now.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

To be fair ...

Name 10 guys in the NFL, on ANY team that can do something like that ...

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

To be fair ...

Vickers can.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

there is no such thing as an "easy schedule" in the NFL

I agree with you on this. Look at last season,,we were supposed to be able to take KC for a ride and win,, based solely on the previous years record of KC.., If that doesn't prove that you can't truly judge a season by the previous years record of your opponent, I don't know what does.

Quote:

until we get a few more guys who can do stuff like this...we can't really expect more then 5 or 6 wins....

we actually have a couple of guys capable,, but will the ball bounce thier way.., I really can't even guess..

I'm speaking of Skrine and Smith.. Smith showed some pretty nifty balance on that one reception in the chicago game..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
fair enough....my point was Cribbs is our only playmaker...we need more guys like him in order to be able to win in this league on a reg basis...thats all i meant....and yes that Cribbs run...well i doubt anyone else could do that outside of Eric Metcalf in his prime

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

To be fair ...

Vickers can.

I would like to nominate this for "Post of the Year"

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

To be fair ...

Vickers can.

I would like to nominate this for "Post of the Year"

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
agreed daman!

I really like Skrine...he may be our fastest CB..that dude has some serious speed...i really like the kid!

Im also really high on Smith..he could be a real diamond if he gets the opportunity!

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Not to be hatin' on Cribbs - but that play was like what, 3 years ago - maybe 4?

This team would be a lot better if it's so called consistent playmaker would make plays a little more consistently than that.

I'm done making season predictions - it almost always leads to crushing realism setting in by about week 4. Just be better because I'm tired of being in neutral or going backwards. In summation, don't be the garbage fire that they've been all but maybe 3-4 times since 1999.

And they've gotta win more than 2 games.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Doug Gottlieb said the Browns could possibly start the season 7-0.

Cincinnati
@ Indy without Manning?
Miami
Tennessee
@Oakland
Seattle
San Fran

Not impossible

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Doug Gottlieb said the Browns could possibly start the season 7-0.

Cincinnati
@ Indy without Manning?
Miami
Tennessee
@Oakland
Seattle
San Fran

Not impossible

and if we did this, we still wouldn't get any respect from ESPN.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
LOL!

You guys and your anti-ESPN views crack me up.

Do people forget how much publicity we got going into the 2008 season?

Chris Mortensen picked us to win the Super Bowl

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
And by the way, I listen to ESPN Radio all day, 5 days a week at work.

Most talked about person in sports right now?

Colt McCoy.

Legend
Legend
Every game may not be easy .... but an entire schedule doesn't turn around in a season.

The NFC West was a below average division last year. 1 or 2 teams may improve, and 1 may actually become a very good team .... but the entire division won't. Some teams are likely to get slightly worse, and some teams, like possible Indy, will have a serious injury that will turn a probable loss into a possible win.

The schedule tends to balance out. An ridiculously easy schedule, where the opponents had something like a .490 winning percentage last year is not going to become the hardest schedule in the league. 1 or 2 teams might significantly improve, and the schedule might get slightly more difficult as a result. Every team is not going to get significantly better, with no team getting worse.

This is a ridiculously easy schedule. Our opponents on last year's schedule went 132-124. This year .... 126-130 .... and that's with a division (NFC West) with no dominant team and no sucky team.

We should win 8 games this year. 6 or 7 would be acceptable. Less than that would be inexcusable. (unless we have major injuries) We play only 5 games against teams who had winning records last year. That's an easy schedule.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Quote:

This is a ridiculously easy schedule.

there are no easy schedules in the NFL....in 2009 the Kansas City Chiefs were 4-12 and Tampa Bay Bucs were 3-13. In 2010 the Chiefs went 10-6 and won their division, the bucs went 10-6...the previous year means NOTHING...

Our schedule is far from easy...lets look at this schedule without our Brown colored glasses on.....

...even WITHOUT Peyton Manning...the Colts will still probably beat us...they have way more talent across the board then we do...their Defense is much, much better then ours...Freeny and the rest of that Colts DL is speedy pass rushers that will harrass Colt all day....even without Manning...they still have plenty to handle us...and their D has always been pretty good...under-rated in fact...

The Dolphins are not some pushover either...they put up a 7-9 record in a division with the Patriots and Jets...they are no slouch by any means...

The Titans...are a wildcard...it could very easily be a Chris Johnson all day long for us....

The Raiders went 8-8 in a VERY competitive division with the Philip rivers chargers and the Cheifs...they are actually not that bad of a team...

The Seahawks and Rams are both decent teams..the Hawks won their division...it may have been ugly, but they still won it...which is more then we can say...

The Texans are pretty tough as well

Jacksonville is another tough team that went 8-8 in a division with the colts...

We know what we got with the Ravens and Steelers...that could easily be 4 losses right there

The Cards are still rebuilding, but they are slightly farther along then we are...

our schedule could very easily look like this:

Cincy - win
Colts - Loss
Dolphins - loss
titans - loss
oakland - loss
seahawks - loss
49ers - win
texans - loss\
rams - loss
jags - loss
bengals loss(the split)
ranvens loss
steelers - loss
cards - win
ravens loss
steelers - loss

we could very easily be looking at a 3 win season....if the ball bounces our way, we may get 5....to say this schedule is easy is just well...untrue....there are no easy schedules in the NFL...again i'll say it...the different in talent between the super bowl winner and the 3-13 team is very very very small...see the Cheifs and Bucs last year as an example of this...they sucked in 2009 and were good in 2010.....

never take anything for granted...we have a tough road to haul this year...it would be nice to win 7 or 8...but were going to need a lot of help....

Last edited by Knight_Of_Brown; 09/05/11 12:50 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

the previous year means NOTHING...

Quote:

they put up a 7-9 record in a division with the Patriots and Jets

Quote:

The Raiders went 8-8 in a VERY competitive division with the Philip rivers chargers and the Cheifs

Quote:

the Hawks won their division

Quote:

Jacksonville is another tough team that went 8-8 in a division with the colts...

So does last year mean anything or not?

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
im just saying we can't discount any team in this league...thats what i mean...

Im just saying...we all need to calm down and here see what happens...this 7-0. 6-0 talk getting people all riled up...things could get ugly on this board later...i personally think we will win 5 or 6...we will get a few breaks....but if we get banged up...it could get ugly because we don't have good depth(can't blame that on Shurmur)

i was just making the point that there are no easy schedules in this league...the media in Cleveland needs to quit spouting the easy schedule nonsense....this has all the makings of starting another witchhunt if things don't go their way...

L
Legend
Legend
L
Quote:

Quote:

This is a ridiculously easy schedule.

there are no easy schedules in the NFL....

There are varying degrees of "easy" or "difficult"...
Compared to many skeds we've had in recent years, the Browns' 2011 schedule is an easy one.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
You're right about Miami... Their QB situation isn't any worse than it was last year, and this year we don't have Shaun Rogers to bail us out with a blocked FG.

Indy's D is terrible, though. I bet we see 180 yards rushing in week 2.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

I agree wholeheartedly. Preseason SOS is nonsense.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

the previous year means NOTHING...

Quote:

they put up a 7-9 record in a division with the Patriots and Jets

Quote:

The Raiders went 8-8 in a VERY competitive division with the Philip rivers chargers and the Cheifs

Quote:

the Hawks won their division

Quote:

So does last year mean anything or not?

Honestly, I don't think it does unless your opponents stood pat and did nothing to improve themselves. And every team tries to make strides.. so what makes anyone think that because a team was bad last year, that they will continue to be bad?

it is however reasonable to assume that a team like indy w/Manning is a different team than they are w/o Manning. He's so important to that teams success.

But to assume the schedule is easy (or easier) based on your opponents previous seasons record? I just am not buying it.

Last year is last year, the teams have different players in many key spots and in some cases, different coaches.. In our case, it's got a BUNCH of new things.., Staff, HC, Starting QB.. etc etc.

Does anyone actually believe that this team is tied in any way to last years results? I mean, other than trying to not repeat them?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
R
Legend
Legend
R
The true measure of the schedule is to look at the opposing QBs. We dont face many good ones. This is the easiest schedule we'll probably ever see. We need to take advantage of it.

If Colt has enough games to indicate there is real growth potential there, we should be 8-8 easy.

Legend
Legend
Theres also the talk about whether we're facing Indy With or Without Manning...

Even IF Manning plays, it'll be his first action in how long? Even the great ones need some reps, it's not like he's going to come in guns a'blazin' and light us up...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
R
Legend
Legend
R
For that reason, I'm not too concerned about Indy.

But we face Dalton (twice), A.Smith, T.Jackson, Kolb, Hasselbeck, Henne, Campbell, Garard or Gabbert, ... it's just not that intimidating. This is a who's who of some of the worst QBs in the league.

The sucky thing is I think Heckert expects the D to take some lumps this year, and he's going to address it next year. The plus is we should have a real offense which should help take some pressure off.

The key is Colt. If he takes a huge step forward, we'll be in every game with a chance to win. If he doesn't, there needs to be enough signs of growth regardless. If he just looks hopeless, we're screwed.

Legend
Legend
You could also argue some of those teams might change QB....

A.Smith or Cappernick
T.Jackson or Whitehurst
Hasselbeck or Locker (Probably not by our game)
Henne or Moore (Probably not by our game)
Campbell or ...Pryor? (Pryor comes back from suspension during our game)
Garard or Gabbert

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Quote:

The true measure of the schedule is to look at the opposing QBs. We dont face many good ones. This is the easiest schedule we'll probably ever see. We need to take advantage of it.

If that were totally accurate, then nobody should fear us. Colt lost more than he won as the starter last year.. why fear him?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

If that were totally accurate, then nobody should fear us. Colt lost more than he won as the starter last year.. why fear him?

He didn't say "Look at the opposing QBs Win/Loss record"

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He didn't say "Look at the opposing QBs Win/Loss record"

Oh, Pardon me,, I guess I didn't think there was another way to know if you had a good QB or not.. My bad

So if win/loss record doesn't mean anything,, what does?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
So if your QB throws 5000 yards in a season, has 35 tds a 7 ints...

...But the defense is horrible, and you go 6-10..

Your QB must suck right?

S
Legend
Legend
S
This latest Peyton Manning stuff could be a break the Browns haven't gotten in a long time. It looks like he might not even play, even if he does, he has had no practice, no reps, no rythym, i fully expect that to be very winnable for the Browns, and a game they will be favored in if he does not play at all.

Sep-Nov is all winnable, all games that the Browns should be in. It's gonna come down to 4th quarter and making plays something that the Browns failed at in a bunch of losses last year (off the top of my head at TB, NYJ, at JAX, at CIN, at BUF, KC)

I have the most faith in this coaching staff than I ever have since '99, I know it has been said and repeated a million times, but they're all under one philosophy. I love the Jauron hire as it brings someone who has respect and experience. I hope he becomes our Dick Lebeau. I hope he's not just trying to make one good defensive season and off to another job that he'll be fired at in 2 seasons... The guy is best suited as a coordinator.

The injury to Steinbach hurts, but good teams make due with big injury losses, just look at the Packers and who they didn't have for the playoffs and Super Bowl.

I want Colt McCoy to play 16 games, that is my first expectation. After that it's playing well within the division, and winning games that you are tied/leading going into the 4th. These are all things I think Pat Shurmur can and will clean up.

Look at the schedule, you all have. The Browns could realistically be 3-1 going into their bye week.

I looked at it hard, and right now, what I would like to see, is them 7-4 going into their December 4th meeting with Baltimore, at Cleveland Browns Stadium. It's something that has been missing forever. We never get out of the gate with a good record. But 7-4 with December being as important to you as it is to the Steelers and Ravens? You'll take it. I don't think it's far fetched. Like I said, look at the schedule. There is nobody on there that is going to blow you out of the water. The NFL changes ever year, but I feel safe in saying all those games are extremely winnable.

7-4 going into 12/4, will you take it?

Legend
Legend
haha I'll take 5-6 going into the Ravens game.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

haha I'll take 5-6 going into the Ravens game.

After I read it, I was like 7-4? I'd take 6-5... Hell I'll take 5-6...

Legend
Legend
Quote:

So if your QB throws 5000 yards in a season, has 35 tds a 7 ints...

...But the defense is horrible, and you go 6-10..

Your QB must suck right?

of course not,,that was the point.. you can have a good QB and still be a lousy team...

So it's NOT "as the QB goes, so goes the team" as was indicated. All I'm saying is you can't go by that one criteria alone. Great QB's on bad teams probably won't win. Whereas Average QB's on great teams,,, you can win a lotta games... Even the superbowl.. Does the name Trent Dilfer mean anything to you?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I don't think we should sell Kerry Collins too short. The guy has the capability to at least put a good game together.

I'd have felt better about our chances if they still had Painter or Sorgi backing up Manning.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum 2011 Season Thoughts and Predictions

Link Copied to Clipboard