Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I want to go back to orange pants and brown jerseys.

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
get a new uni regardless!
The '96 Broncos were 14-2 but lost to Jax in the first round. Then they switched their unis and won it all in '97. I do like their current unis better than the orange ones they used with the Bronco D blue helmets...those gave me nightmares.

Go Browns!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I want to go back to orange pants and brown jerseys.

I agree

Legend
Legend
All this talk about pants colors and jersey hues reminds me of a gaggle of teenaged girls after they've returned from the mall. Wardrobe, indeed.

I'm going to take this thread in a different direction, if only for one post. What you ladies do with it after I've said my piece is entirely up to you.

The Legends, the Ring of Honor, Heritage... these nods to the history of Cleveland Browns Football are important. Holmy could just as easily come in and gutted everything but the team colors, which was his prerogative, should he have decided to go in that direction. After all, there have been posters on this board who have stated that our dogged adherance to the deep dark past has impeded our progress. I disagree with that sentiment, but it doesn't necessarily make them wrong.

Personally, I like the efforts he's made. Considering the determination and enthusiasm of the fans in getting their team back after Modell ripped it from them, it's one of the best tributes a Team Pres could make. Let's face it- The Cleveland [insert new name here] could have come back to a half-filled CBS, and there are few who would blame the fans for staying at home. The reality was quite different... and the Baby Browns returned (albeit with a dismal product) to a packed stadium from Day One. That team, sorry as it was, was OUR TEAM. The Stadium isn't called MNBA field or [insert corporate name here] Stadium... iit's Cleveland Browns Stadium. In all of the NFL, only Dallas has named their stadium after the team which plays there- and we were first. These may seem like little things to some casual fans or younger Pups who weren't around for the Muni Days, but to members of Ye Olde Guarde Faithful, it's important.

The bridging of the Old and the New is poetic to me. It pays tribute to all the fans who kept the faith during those dark days when Cleveland had NO professional football. In essence WE WERE THAT BRIDGE... and I see Holmy's moves to honor the past as a tribute to not only them- but to us, as well. It shows that he understands and values the passion and dedication we've shown for over 6 decades. That's 3-4 generations of Browns fandom, yo. In this world of instant gratification, short memories, fair-weather fandom and disposable cars, houses, careers and lives, there's something to be said for loyalty that lasts.

Mike Holmgren has been a student, purveyor and lover of The Game for most of his life- in ways that most of us can't touch... and he recognized the value that can be found in the history and tradition of a team that he inherited late in his career. That reverence for The Bigger Story is (imho) partly responsible for his reaching out to Hickerson, Brown, et al... and I for one, appreciate that gift- from my heart.

But then again- what else should one expect from a Pro Football coach/executive who began his adult life as a History teacher?

[we now return you to your rgularly scheduled program]

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

We don't get to pick what we wear on the road, the home team decides and most of them wear white, so we would be brown with orange almost every week.

Most teams do not wear white at home. Dallas is the only team that always wears white at home. Most of the other southern teams (Miami, Tampa, San Diego, Jacksonville, and Carolina) only wear white during the first couple months. The majority of other teams wear the color jersey at home.

Oddly enough Seattle is the only team that never has worn white at home.

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

2010 Dawgtalkers NCAA Bracket Challenge Champ!!
Legend
Legend
I can't say I care if we bring back the orange pants or not but the idea of bringing back the numbers on the helmet is repulsive. We'd look like Nascar.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I can't say I care if we bring back the orange pants or not but the idea of bringing back the numbers on the helmet is repulsive. We'd look like Nascar.

what i find funny is that in that article, unis were a small part of the discussion, yet it's what most folks have commented on.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

what i find funny is that in that article, unis were a small part of the discussion, yet it's what most folks have commented on.

A small part? It was half the article and the only part the OP highlighted, so it appears to be his point of discussion or certainly a point of discussion for him.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

A small part? It was half the article and the only part the OP highlighted, so it appears to be his point of discussion or certainly a point of discussion for him.

yet, it's still the part that is of the least importance

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

yet, it's still the part that is of the least importance

Not at all. It was the part that offered the reader the chance to express an opinion other than the rah rah fluff piece about the ring of honor that most would agree is a nice touch. Not really much to discuss there. The OP and most of the posters seemed to recognize that.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I guess i just don't care what the unis are.. I just want them to win. so to me, the conversation regarding brown or orange pants, is pretty meaningless to me personally..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
clem...SO WELL SAID....I hope everyone takes the time to read clem's post because it is very well written and reflects so well, the feeling of some of the old timers who have watched the Browns since the 60s.

I can't begin to express how I feel about the move Randy Lerner made, bringing in Holmgren to run the football side of the franchise. After so much disappointment, since the return of the Browns in 99, I feared I would never see the day when the Browns were once again Champions of Pro Football.

We have endured ineptness in coaching and in the front office since 99, the names of which are too many to write and not important now. What is important, is the Browns now have someone running the football side of the franchise who has been around football long enough to appreciate the Browns tradition.

Bringing back "the tradition and history of the Browns", has only one meaning for me...the tradition of winning.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

get a new uni regardless!
The '96 Broncos were 14-2 but lost to Jax in the first round. Then they switched their unis and won it all in '97. I do like their current unis better than the orange ones they used with the Bronco D blue helmets...those gave me nightmares.

This! Nice.

The pants, white pants aren't all white but the ones with the orange and brown stripe/border on the side... and worn with a white jersey with brown numbers.... on the sleeve some brown+orange border stripes 3 stripes I think,
remember them from years past, that was a nice , white on white look with the helmuts... all orange with the white stripe and brown stripe I think insde the white stripe down the midde front to back.

( at this point I would re-affirm, that if I were king of the Browns I'd put my CB turning the corner fireball logo that I designed on at least one side of the helumt, but that's just me )

Pretty much this! Find out whatever Kevin Mack and Bernie Kosar wore most often and go with that!

2nd, go with whatever Eric Metcalf wore most often,

3rd I'm not a hater of the Orange Jersey worn twice since 99 either, I think they are 2-0 in the Orange Jersey and wouldn't hate to see it 2-3 times a year... just not orange pants + orange jersey, what are you syracuse?

Haha! The White helmuts, The electronic football toy football game I'm most familiar with had players on a Browns team with white helmuts I think.

If they ever wear White helmuts, make sure to take extra special care to not make them look ANYTHING like Penn state football, that would be an autrocity.

I don't really like the orange pants either, or the Brown pants too much, they should probably just never leave the white pants with the side orange+brown border
big + to the Brown jersey with white number
big + to the White jersey with Brown number,

It doesn't really matter.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Mike Holmgren is Bringing Back Tradition and History to the Cleveland Brown

Link Copied to Clipboard