Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend
The Indians actually turned things around .... again .. with their "trading for prospects garbage".

The biggest difference between a team like the Yankees, Red Sox, and others ... and the Indians (and other smaller market teams) is that the bigger market teams can make mistakes.

Let's say that the Yankees sign a superstar pitcher to a $25 million/year contract ..... and he goes out in game 1 and blows out his shoulder. It sucks ..... but they go spend some more money ... get another high end starter .... and move on.

For teams like the Indians, that's not an option.

Plus, look at a guy like Hafner. He beat the cover off the ball, so the Indians did what fans wanted, and they re-signed him. That move hurt the team badly, because he has underperformed his contract badly. The Indians don't have the ability to say "Oh well", and more on.

Also ,,,, look at last year. If it weren't for injuries, the Indians probably would have held off the Tigers. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

Plus, the Indians tried to add pieces. You cannot force players with no trade clauses to accept a trade to a team they don't want to go to.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Milwaukee and St. Louis went out and added pieces. Their ownership actually cares.

Enough of this.

Milwaukee added pitching for this season because they know it's about 100% guarunteed this is their best shot. I will be beyond shocked if Fielder stays in Milwaukee past this season and I'm thinking the Brewers ownership would be too. They have basically 4 main pieces - Gallardo, Axford, Fielder and Braun... and they're all homegrown to my knowledge. This year they added Grienke and Marcum to the rotation and Rodriguez to the pen for that one time shot - while hardly bums, it's not like Marcum and Grienke have been Randy Johnson and Schilling this year.

The team is then rounded out with Nyjer Morgan (overrated blowhard), Corey Hart (overrated) and Betancourt (Pirates murderer and what else?) with Hawkins (grizzled vet who's bounced around the league) and Randy Wolf (old bum).

They added CC for prospects and lost him. They held on to Fielder and may lose him without winning anything. Whoop.

And St. Louis is the BEST baseball town in MLB. They draw 2-3+ million every year (if they don't resign Pujols for whatever he wants it's a joke) and they're, I think, the best team in the history of the NL championship wise... they're hardly some small market team looking to find a niche. And what exactly did they add? Berkman? The guy went nuts this year but literally every team could have signed him for a couple million last offseason because of years of decline. The Pirates went after him but they signed Lyle Overbay - that's what makes my Pirates the Pirates and the Cardinals the Cardinals. They added Jackson (about 6 teams in 5 years) and Dotel at the deadline. Dotel has been awesome, but really, it's one move. They've been helped by guys like Freese and Jay who came up and did their part unlike prospects in Cleveland or Pittsburgh.

The only reason St. Louis and Milwaukee are still playing is because they have 3 "A+" stars between them and they're all homegrown products, and they're surrounded by several pretty good stars that have been there for years through trades of years ago or drafts (Holliday, Carpenter, Gallardo, Axford, etc.). It always goes back to drafting and getting lucky on some of those picks - that's what they do. Then it's about adding the right piece and getting lucky when you're thisclose to winning it all. Sometimes it works - sometimes it doesn't. I'm not even an Indians fan and you're "Dolan doesn't care - MLB is screwed" takes really bother me anymore.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
bigdatut #625524 10/16/11 09:21 PM
S
Legend
Legend
S
You can be bothered all you want, I will never change that stance, and they will continue to prove me right by being a 3rd rate baseball club.

They should have never bought the franchise in the first place.

bigdatut #625525 10/17/11 12:01 AM
B
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Milwaukee weeps. Not so gul durn funny now is it, Brewers? Huuuuuugs.

Now, Go Rangers.

GO ROCKETS
bigdatut #625526 10/17/11 12:03 AM
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Milwaukee weeps. Not so gul durn funny now is it, Brewers? Huuuuuugs.

Now, Go Rangers.

Smash the birds...I still consider Josh Hamilton a redleg...Go Rangers.

Man can you imagine Votto and Hamilton batting back to back. Volquez you ruined baseball.

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
Loki #625527 10/17/11 02:16 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Does Major League Baseball still exist?

Wow did that game fall off the face of the earth. I heard some report about some playoff team advancing, but it won't make one bit of difference.

There was a time, a few years leading up to the California Earthquake during the World seires spceifically, when I wouln't miss the World Seriies of baseball anymore than I'd miss a first round playoff game in the NFL.

That time is gone, I don't think I've seen a half of a baseball game in 5 years or more, I don't remember Hearing about who won the world series since the Angels beat somebody with offense.

I don't know who won the Series last year, but I heard sometime less than a month ago, who it was that won the World series last year but I couldn't tell anyone for sure. Maybe Texas, the Texas Rangers,

I don't know if I could name 3 players to a specific team in the entirety of MLB, but I think Puljolz still plays, and Jeter is a Yankee, because Letterman makes jokes about it.

I don't plan to watch another game for the rest of my life and I feel much better for that. I just wish it would end it's season so there is no chance that I'd stumble upon a game broadcast.

I used to think the people that watch baseball were getting older and older as a group and that no young kids would watch. I don't know enough about baseball anymore to know if that is the case.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
THROW LONG #625528 10/17/11 10:38 AM
B
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Good post. Thanks for sharing.

GO ROCKETS
DeepThreat #625529 10/17/11 10:45 AM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

You can win with a much smaller payroll than $100 million. The Rays are doing it right now.

Yes, it sucks that your ownership won't give you more money to spend, but a smart front office can win in your situation. It's been proven time and time again.

as long as you are willing to spend heavy on the draft. which the Indians started doing in 2008. hopefully, the new CBA doesn't take that away (Selig is pushing for a hard-slotting system. one of the few arguments that has been talked about other than the 'fluff stuff' like adding a wild card team)

#gmstrong
THROW LONG #625530 10/17/11 10:50 AM
Legend
Legend
I'll sum up your post....

I don't care about baseball but yet I care enough to tell everyone I don't care.

Ignored.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
bigdatut #625531 10/17/11 10:52 AM
N
Legend
Legend
N
well, if you parse through your hatred for all things Milwaukee you have alot of truth in there

seriously, the Brewers saw they couldn't contend on the open market for Braun and Fielder, so they picked Braun and signed him to an extension (then for whatever reason, gave him another extension before they had to).

then, they just pushed their chips into the middle of the table. they exhausted their entire farm system, they went after a bunch of players and ended up getting a few good ones.

you note that Marcum and Greinke didn't pitch like superstars, which is true. but, the FO realized that they assembled a team of mashers that were absolutely a joke in the field, so they went after guys who could get as many SOs as possible. they were pretty smart from that standpoint (both those guys would look 10x better on a team with a real defense).

here's the rub though: they don't win the WS (which is now official) and their team is set back 5 years. probably 10. they likely go through next season as a nuetered version of this year's team (no Fielder). then, the following year try to trade Greinke, Marcum, Gallardo, etc. for prospects to rebuild their farm system.

Milwaukee set themselves up with a 1year window, which is incredibly risky and dangerous. They missed the window and hit the wall. Now they have to sit with a concussion for awhile until they recover.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
I think we said the exact same thing. And I also thought I contained my Brewers hatred pretty well in my post, haha.

GO ROCKETS
bigdatut #625533 10/25/11 11:02 AM
N
Legend
Legend
N
I'm quietly enjoying this WS a great deal. Outside of 1 blowout, the games have been tense and come down to getting clutch hits (or outs) down the stretch.

And then, Beltre magic happens. One of the coolest HRs I have seen. He literally goes to a knee on the swing and watches it for a second there.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=19946681&topic_id=25589412&c_id=mlb

It's getting overshadowed by the bullpen theatrics later in the game (LaRussa claiming crowd noise affected the bullpen coach hearing the correct pitcher name), but this was the play of the night IMO.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I was actually a little more impressed with Napoli's play in the ninth. It was awesome to see Albert K and then have Craig get thrown out. Best part, Napoli was freaking out before the tag was made....he was yelling at his dugout, he knew how good of throw it was before the play ended.

I'm hoping this goes to a 7th game though.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Punchsmack #625535 10/25/11 12:30 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I was actually a little more impressed with Napoli's play in the ninth. It was awesome to see Albert K and then have Craig get thrown out. Best part, Napoli was freaking out before the tag was made....he was yelling at his dugout, he knew how good of throw it was before the play ended.

I'm hoping this goes to a 7th game though.

on both counts.

also, the fact that was the 2nd time that Napoli threw out Craig made that play that much more special.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Figured this would be a good place to add this - might as well eliminate the one true "possible" advantage that the Pirates, Indians, Royals etc. have.

Report: MLB draft at center of labor talks
Associated Press

ST. LOUIS -- While the NBA struggles with negotiations during its lockout, signing bonuses for amateur draft picks is the last major issue left in talks for baseball's new labor contract.

Representatives for players and owners met Tuesday in New York, people familiar with the session told The Associated Press, speaking on condition of anonymity because no announcements were authorized.

Commissioner Bud Selig wants a system of fixed signing bonuses that tie the amount to when a prospect is drafted, known as slotting. Players have traditionally said the signing bonuses should be the subject of negotiation.

While draft bonuses are the last big issue, those provisions are tied to other parts of the agreement, such as the luxury tax, the reserve system and the minimum salary, the people said.

Players and owners have come to an understanding on how to handle testing for human growth hormone, but not necessarily a definitive agreement, one of the people said.

The current agreement expires Dec. 11, and talks have proceeded throughout the year without the rancor that surrounded negotiations during the NFL and NBA lockouts.

Following eight work stoppages from 1972-95, baseball has had labor peace since the 7½-month strike in 1994-95 that canceled the World Series for the first time in nine decades. The sides agreed to a contract in August 2002, hours before the scheduled start of a strike, to conclude an agreement without a work stoppage for the first time since 1970. They struck a deal in 2006 on the day of World Series Game 3 in St. Louis, nearly two months before their agreement was to expire.

NFL players were locked out starting March 11 this year but signed a 10-year contract on Aug. 5, losing only one exhibition game to the work stoppage. NBA players have been locked out since July 1, and the first 100 games through Nov. 14 have been canceled.

The NHL's labor deal expires Sept. 15, 2012.

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7154152/draft-bonuses-last-big-issue-mlb-cba-talks

GO ROCKETS
bigdatut #625537 10/27/11 10:59 AM
B
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
And Go Rangers for tonight. I don't see them winning a Game 7 in St. Louis against Carpenter if that's what it comes down to tomorrow.

GO ROCKETS
bigdatut #625538 10/27/11 11:02 AM
N
Legend
Legend
N
selig has been trumpeting this and I think it is folly.

smaller market teams can put $$$ into the draft where it is far more relevant.

it will have a huge affect on who/when people are drafted. drafting that HS player likely to go to college in round20 and offering him $1mil to play in the minors has long been a solid practice. that might be gone.

there are so many ways that this can turn if it goes through. maybe it does end up making the whole process better, but I don't see it.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Am I not allowed to watch the WS? Seriously I can never find it on TV...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
ThatGuy #625540 10/27/11 11:09 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Do you not have Fox?

TopDawg16 #625541 10/27/11 11:09 AM
Legend
Legend
I swear the passed two games I've looked for it and it wasn't there...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
ThatGuy #625542 10/27/11 11:10 AM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Am I not allowed to watch the WS? Seriously I can never find it on TV...

huh? it's on FOX. pretty easy to find. the earlier rounds had stuff on TBS, but the WS is on FOX.

if you are talking about last nights game, it was postponed (a couple hours before first pitch) until today.

#gmstrong
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
I've been tuned in since the 8th, great game from what I have seen, cardinals come back twice with 2 outs.

Frenchy #625544 10/28/11 12:30 AM
B
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Probably the greatest World Series I've ever seen. No pressure with a horse in the race - just two really good baseball teams led by really good players going at it. What a fantastic game so far!

GO ROCKETS
bigdatut #625545 10/28/11 12:45 AM
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
If I were Nolan Ryan, I would fire Ron Washington tonight. I've been watching baseball over 23 years, and that was the most pathetic managerial performance I've ever seen. First he doesn't let Feliz finish the 10th. You bring in 41 yr old Darren Oliver??? Then in the 10th he puts the outfield at no doubles depth. You retard, a single ties the game. Then he pinch hits feldman in the 11th, his best reliever left. What you know the bottom half of the inning, the cards win the game. Never seen a game botched like that. The rangers are toast.

bigdatut #625546 10/28/11 07:45 AM
Legend
Legend
All hands on deck for tommorrow.

I love me some game 7s.

bigdatut #625547 10/28/11 08:11 AM
Legend
Legend
Amazing game. Cool of the fan to give Freese the HR ball back for a few signed tokens.

yebat' Putin
DCDAWGFAN #625548 10/28/11 08:52 AM
J
Legend
Legend
J
I'm a Cardinal hater, but you have to love these games. Hopefully, the Rangers pull it out in another thriller tonight.

And for the person letting the Rangers' Manager have it, La Russa and his crew have had more than their share of screw ups too. I think it's a bit over the top for anyone to call for the firing of a manager who's team is in the World Series.

DCDAWGFAN #625549 10/28/11 08:54 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Amazing game. Cool of the fan to give Freese the HR ball back for a few signed tokens.

I guess it's kinda cool......but I hope that guy is already rich because that ball would fetch a decent price at an auction.

I would sell it......well, because I need the money.

As far as the game, I watched almost every pitch and swing. That has to be one of the greatest baseball games I've ever seen....and to happen like that in a WS game, a series clinching game.....WOW!

I wonder if tonight will be a dud....8-1 kinda game. No way we get treated to something like that again. Come on.....TWO 2-out 2-strike hits to tie in the 9th and 10th and then an 11th inning walkoff?!?!?!? Crazy!

Good game.

[Linked Image]

Punchsmack #625550 10/28/11 09:04 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I guess it's kinda cool......but I hope that guy is already rich because that ball would fetch a decent price at an auction.

Article said he was a radiologist I think so yea, he probably does ok. He said he doesn't need the money and meeting the players was more important.

I wonder when he made the deal for the bat and the ball if he already had tickets for tonights game.. that would have been my first request.

yebat' Putin
Punchsmack #625551 10/28/11 09:05 AM
N
Legend
Legend
N
from the 7th inning on, yeah it was a great game. before that, let's just hope the teams were adjusting to the cold weather. the last 5 innings made everything worth it though.

and Nelson Cruz better do something to help his team tonight. the Rangers would be the WS champs if he doesn't put on the brakes in the 9th last night. he was definitely there in time and either completely misread that ball or thought the wall was alot closer than it really was.

love that Freese is a local StL kid. always adds a little extra.

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Fun game to watch!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

and Nelson Cruz better do something to help his team tonight. the Rangers would be the WS champs if he doesn't put on the brakes in the 9th last night. he was definitely there in time and either completely misread that ball or thought the wall was alot closer than it really was.

Ya know....that play by Cruz made me feel like the Rangers were the Indians. Outside of a bad pitch here for there, they couldn't stop anything happening but that was "stoppable". It could haunt the player, team and city forever.

It was catchable for all MLB, AAA, AA, A and most college and high school REers (not a can of corn, but that catch HAS to be made). He was sprinting.....and then slowed down....jumped and was a foot or two short. It was ugly. Had he kept sprinting, he makes the catch on the run without jumping.

[Linked Image]

Punchsmack #625554 10/28/11 10:10 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He should have been playing deeper to begin with. The tying run was on first. You can't let a ball get over your head there.

TopDawg16 #625555 10/28/11 07:01 PM
Legend
Legend
I would love to pitch in this game.

candyman92 #625556 10/28/11 08:32 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I've got faith, that you wouldn't be as much of a jerk as Chris Carpenter.

Psydeffect #625557 10/28/11 08:58 PM
J
Legend
Legend
J
Quote:

Quote:

I've got faith, that you wouldn't be as much of a jerk as Chris Carpenter.

No doubt. Candy is a sweetheart next to that ass Carpenter.

JulesDawg #625558 10/28/11 09:59 PM
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
5-2 Cardinals. I think I'm going to be sick.

Rambo #625559 10/28/11 10:04 PM
1st String
1st String
Texas had two innings last night to get the championship. Well who knows what will happen tonight!

June Summertime 2024!
Rambo #625560 10/28/11 10:05 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yeah 5-2, and Texas has a capable offense that can come back from this. But I'm done, going to relieve or increase my frustrations on BF3.

Either way can't be as bad as stomaching a Carpenter/LaRussa world series celebration.

Psydeffect #625561 10/28/11 10:16 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
guess it's a bit easier as a Tribe fan here. i don't mind StL getting a championship at all. especially with how they came back last night.

that said, we know that 3 innings are a lot of innings to hold a small lead (especially with the Card-pen)

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum MLB Playoffs

Link Copied to Clipboard