Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Well, technically, if we get Blackmon at, say, 3, and then trade up and get Weeden at, say, 9, then we did get him "later in the draft."

he was joking because we have one poster that is very heavy into his like for Weeden. so much so that he is blind to the fact that he will be 29 next season and how that should affect his draft stock.

in other words, he is older than Aaron Rodgers.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
to be fair, he was advocating taking Weeden with Atlanta's pick or our 2nd-round pick.

Legend
Legend
I'm all over this bandwagon as well. I don't know that there is a Linebacker good enough to warrant being taken where we're going to pick, so I'm thinking that a bona fide stud WR is just what will cure what ails us.

Little IS progressing. Add in Blackmon and have Norwood and Cribbs continue to make progress and we won't look nearly as horrible as we have this year. It raises our bar significantly.
Hell, we'd go from having a pathetic WR corps to a very respectable one (as long as MoMass gets healthy and stops getting concussions).

Blackmon and MoMass as #1 and #2, Little in the slot and Norwood/Cribbs as our #4? Heck yeah.

Use the second first rounder to snag a stud OLB and call it a good day.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
j/c

Anyone,

Sorry, if I'm too late for the discussion, but what's the word on this Griffin, from Baylor? His stock seems to be rising . . .

N
Legend
Legend
N
yes, thanks. i should have pointed that out.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd rather stick with Colt McCoy.

Legend
Legend
I know he was joking. I was just being a smartass.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
If we can't get the QB we want (Luck, Bark, etc.) I'm MORE than ok with just drafting to build the lines. The game is won and lost there. I want talent and depth there.

Look at the Giants, their strength is D-Line....but they still spent a 1st rounder on Jason Pierre Paul. And now they can rotate guys in and out to put constant pressure on the QB.

We have 6 picks in the first four rounds. I'm ok with 2 O-line, 2-3 defensive Front-7 and then 1-2 WR/RB. IMO, 5 picks to strenghten the lines (and I tend to group the LBers in with the "line") is what we need.

A RB can be found in any round. A WR can be signed in the offseason. Give me defense and a strong O-line. Done.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
If Indy doesn't want Luck I'd give them 3 1sts + to get him...they'll draft him though

Blackmon-Weeden in the 1st is the way to go, which means the Browns won't do it

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
I'd skip the QB.

If we're going to take two offensive players in the first, I'd take a WR and a RT ... or two WR's.... and give this offense something valid to work with no matter who is at the helm.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd rather go Barkley/Floyd.

N
Legend
Legend
N
not worried about Floyd's injury history?

(or his off-field history)

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I'd skip the QB.

If we're going to take two offensive players in the first, I'd take a WR and a RT ... or two WR's.... and give this offense something valid to work with no matter who is at the helm.

Im in agreement, skip QB and get Colt some weaponry for a real evaluation.
I may though, take Richardson and best WR with ATL pick.

Legend
Legend
RBs rise and fall and some good ones can be found later (though Richardson is a freakin' beast), I'd still take the WR with the higher pick if its Blackmon, then open up the ATL pick and take either the best RT, RB, or OLB that is available...

yebat' Putin
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

I'd rather go Barkley/Floyd.

So, you'd like to go with no upside at all?

Floyd is a name school poss WR with character concerns....how many more of those do we need to draft?

There's lots of solid talent in the 1st on lower value positions...I've said many times that a GM can bat 1.000 in the top 60 and still get fired if he just goes safe...eventually you have to risk on a premium QB talent to get it right....how anyone sees anything in McCoy is beyond me, complete homerism at work imho...but we've been there

If for whatever reason we don't go QB in the 1st I'd draft 1 of Blackmon, Kirkpatrick or Claiborne with our pick and trade away the ATL pick for a trade down to 2nd netting another 1st next year...not much value for our needs in the 17-25 range...maybe OLB Upshaw maybe OT Reiff if he drops....1 of the QBs that drops makes a lot of sense there....Weeden or Tannehill

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

not worried about Floyd's injury history?

(or his off-field history)

I'm not. The dude can play. You combine him and little and we have ourselves some phsyical receivers. Guys who can probably deal with playing in the physical AFC north.

If you can somehow throw in a speed guy too at some point, via free agency or just a late round pick. Just an absolute burner, I would love our group of wideouts. Floyd-1 Little-2 MoMass-3 and like I said throw in a burner. I think you can play with the big boys, plus I think it gives Colt a chance to prove he's a starter.

Legend
Legend
Let's say The top 5 falls like so...

Ind
Stl
Cle
Mia
Seattle

(just a random example)

What's the percentage of chance we trade back to a team like Mia/Seattle so they can get one of the QBs?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
N
Legend
Legend
N
nothing is a random example though because the teams ahead of us affect the player that might drop to us.

in that case, there's a decent chance that StL picks Blackmon and we lose out on the non-QB we coveted most there.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Pete Carroll might give up his whole team for Matt Barkley.

Legend
Legend
My point was more so, If we're in the top 3, and theres a QB wanting team behind us, will we trade down?

Take the QB?

How far are we willing to drop?

How many more 1st can we get?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
S
Legend
Legend
S
I can't see how St. Louis picks ahead of us. They own the tiebreaker, so basically if they win 1 more game, they are probably picking ahead of us.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
IMO, Luck is awesome. I wasn't as high on him as others were prior to the start of the season, but he has progressed. His arm strength has improved, and he has become more accurate as well. He's the best QB I've ever scouted, (going back to like '08 here, so not saying a ton) with only Bradford near his level.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I can't see how St. Louis picks ahead of us. They own the tiebreaker, so basically if they win 1 more game, they are probably picking ahead of us.

Head to Head isn't a tiebreaker for the Draft, it's SOS.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

with only Bradford near his level.

I hated Bradford coming out. I did not see the appeal in him at all.

Still don't see it. He's completing 55% (ish) of his passes.

I don't care how bad his supporting cast is, that's terrible.

Legend
Legend
I believe the tie-breaker is strength of schedule, not head to head... but being in the NFC west, they will still probably have a weaker SoS which means they pick first.

yebat' Putin
N
Legend
Legend
N
yeah, but the question is only valid based on who is available. would we drop 2 spots with Blackmon on the board and the team behind us isn't 100% drafting a QB? I would think no.

so, which teams are where and what their needs are is very indicative of if we would consider trading down.

right now, I would think that we would take a QB if we are in the top3 of the draft. but, I am hoping we would take Blackmon. in either case, it will be tough to trade down and do so.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Yes, but we have the easier schedule.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Will we still have the easier schedule after we play Baltimore twice, Pittsburgh twice, and Cincinnati again?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Yes, because St. Louis faces all of those teams as well (and the NFC East instead of the AFC West.)

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

i haven't run the numbers through the end of the season, has anyone done a predicted analysis?

we play the Ravens 2X, Pitt 2X, and Cinci 1X. That will bring up the SOS a bunch. the Rams start heavy into their NFC West schedule which will bring their SOS down. not sure if where we end up though.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
When they do SOS, do they count your Division opponents twice?

I'd assume they do, as that'd greatly effect it...

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

with only Bradford near his level.

I hated Bradford coming out. I did not see the appeal in him at all.

Still don't see it. He's completing 55% (ish) of his passes.

I don't care how bad his supporting cast is, that's terrible.

He has all the physical tools. He throws a really nice ball, he has the right attitude, but he just doesn't have the timing down, and I think he needs another year or two. He's also got to stay healthy. I think the league adjusted to him as well. He needs to re-adjust. I've watched a few of their games this year.

N
Legend
Legend
N
yes, each game you play has it's own entry, so division opponents count twice.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Bradford had one of the best rookie seasons ever last year. Toss out the stats and watch him. He's constantly getting hit as he throws (and he gets rid of the ball very quickly) and still making accurate passes. His supporting cast makes Colt's look awesome.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

Quote:

So you can say "not even close" but you can't really ignore what Elway and Manning did in the NFL, you can try but you can't do it.

By saying not even close I am basing everything on how Elway and Manning performed in the NFL and assuming they performed similarly in college. Like I said, I don't watch much college football. This is also the reason I said I would love to see some old college football games of Elway/Manning to see how they looked compared to Luck.

I admit I don't really know exactly what to watch for with Luck to determine if he is what everyone is making him out to be. But what I do see is a solid QB but nothing that jumps off the screen and dazzles me. Nothing that says he is going to be great. And again, I might not recognize it if I saw it any way.

That's why if anyone who watches a lot of college football wants to chime in with their takes, I'd appreciate it.

I'll chime in!

Positives
1. Excellent size
2. Excellent athleticism
3. Excellent patience
4. Known as an excellent teammate and leader
5. Throws short passes well, soft and accurate
6. Does have an extra speed to fit balls into tight windows.
7. Good decision making for the most part, plays smart
8. Throws a good deep ball over the top of safeties.

Negatives
1. Does not have elite arm strength
2. Accuracy issues mitigated by huge, rangy receivers.
3. Not a great YAC passer. Does not throw crossing routes with zip and perfect lead like top tier NFL QBs.
4. Sloppy with play fakes (Should be deadly with their ground and pound)
5. Footwork tends to break down in the face of a rush
6. Protects his body/ribs very quickly and shies away from contact a little too easily for my taste for a guy his size.

The reason most think he's the best prospect in a long long time is that he's so big and tall, he's an athlete back there and can make plays with his legs and he's generally a very good decision maker at the helm.

I think he's a sure fire Pro-Bowl guy in his third year if he has adequate talent around him. He reminds me of Troy Aikman quite a bit.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
No I mean like the inability to make NFL throws. (which I detailed)

McCoy had a very good game, statistically, against the Rams. The Rams are one of the worst defenses in the league, and they allow over 25 PPG. (before we played them and brought that average way down) They were also missing almost their entire starting and backup secondary players. They have gone through defensive backs to the extent that they probably qualify for a volume discount.

It is like when Brady Quinn had that "great" game against the Donks a few years ago.

I look at McCoy based on his throws. His accuracy is horrible. He does not lead receivers, which is essential in the WCO. He does not hit them in stride, He has problems hitting a moving target. He cannot throw an out effectively. (The one in the Rams game was the first I can recall all year) He cannot throw an effective pass to a receiver open on the fly pattern. He does not effectively throw over the LB and in front of the DB. He makes the easiest of NFL throws as his staple. He hits the receivers on little slants and screens. ANY NFL QB can make those throws, and most with better ball placement to allow the receiver to continue to run after the catch.

These are the things missing from his game. They are fatal flaws for a QB in the NFL.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I'd skip the QB.

+1

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

I'd skip the QB.

Im in agreement, skip QB and get Colt some weaponry for a real evaluation.
I may though, take Richardson and best WR with ATL pick.

I'd be tempted to go this route too, but I could see us going the WR and RT route also and possibly going OG or LB in the 2nd.

Legend
Legend
Our defense is farther along than our offense but we can't ignore the defense all together. Even though Peens thought about picking one group and maxing it out in this draft is kind of appealing.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I'd skip the QB.

+1

As long as that WR is Blackmon +2

#GMSTRONG
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Atlanta and Draft Order Part II

Link Copied to Clipboard