Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have an idea for a post that I'd like to make. I'd like to write a mock that is NEED based only and would have no basis as regards BPA. I repeat.. a mock based entirely on NEED for each team.

Now then.. first I'll have to define the NEEDS for each team ( which I'm sure would be debated by you dawgs.) I just don't want to have debates based on the BPA part of this.

Next, I guess would be defining the best player available at that pick for the greatest NEED..

This would just be a post that would be an exercise in logic.. and would be a different way to approach this and maybe we could come up with some interesting and debateable conclusions..

What do you guys think of this idea? AGAIN.. this is NOT a conventional Mock.. this is approaching from a different angle and thinking inside a different box altogether.

Your thoughts?

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
sounds like a thread for the draft forum.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yep.. it does. I imagine it would take me some time to get this one done.

I'd like to use a matrix to determine team needs sort of like this one: http://drafttek.com/teamneeds2012.asp

SaintDawg™

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I did not see the game. I just noticed that the back-up came in and put up great numbers. When that happens my eyebrows raise as to how much the system is responsible for a Qb success. Just one of my considerations. always hard to know how much system or Wr talent or lack of Wr/line talent affect a Qb's performance.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Then make a list of players that fit those needs and assign them each a value.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hmm.. Seems to me that list would not be static but rather dynamic because each of 32 teams would value that player differently as their needs would be different. No?

SaintDawg™

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
They already have a program to do that. It's on the same drafttek site you found the matrix of team needs. The only drawback is it uses their player rankings...but at least it gets you close to exactly what you're talking about.

Anyway, it's their online draft simulator. You can change the order teams are picking, change team needs as you see fit, do "grabs" if you want a team to select a particular player regardless of need as well as "lockouts" for when you want a team to AVOID a particular player etc.

I usually don't put too much stock into it this far out from the draft, but once the draft order is set and their rankings start to really shape up around the combine, then the results tend to be pretty good actually.

FWIW the last couple times I've run the simulation with default settings we've drafted RB Trent Richardson - Alabama with our 1st pick and WR Michael Floyd - Notre Dame with our 2nd pick.

Last edited by GraffZ06; 12/07/11 03:02 PM.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

FWIW the last couple times I've run the simulation with default settings we've drafted RB Trent Richardson - Alabama with our 1st pick and WR Michael Floyd - Notre Dame with our 2nd pick.

Ouch, not sure I'd like that. RB's and a dime a dozen if you have an O-line and good QB/WR combo. Without a line, a good RB doesn't make much of a difference.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yeah I'm not ecstatic about that pick either. ANY RB in the top 10-15 is questionable to me at this point.

Richardson is considered the best RB prospect since AP. He's a stud and deserving of a top 5 ranking BUT...even if his ceiling is AP, so what? We could put the REAL AP on this team and I don't think it changes all that much. Just ask Minny.

That's why on the other draft thread I listed RB as a need but put it further down the list and didn't include any RB on the "short list" for our first pick.

I'd much rather go WR Blackmon with our 1st pick and then go get a stud DE like Whitney Mercilus from Illinois with Atlanta's pick.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
Legend
Legend
Exactly, I like where you head is at.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
I'm not discounting the OL or the need for a QB/WR combo but a great dual threat RB is not a dime a dozen.

yebat' Putin
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I'm not discounting the OL or the need for a QB/WR combo but a great dual threat RB is not a dime a dozen.

you are correct. one season's worth costs a Brady Quinn (though you get back a future 6th rounder in change)

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

you are correct. one season's worth costs a Brady Quinn (though you get back a future 6th rounder in change)

Are you calling Peyton Hillis a great running back?

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Are you calling Peyton Hillis a great running back?

I am saying he had a great dual threat RB season.

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Yeah I'm not ecstatic about that pick either. ANY RB in the top 10-15 is questionable to me at this point.

Richardson is considered the best RB prospect since AP. He's a stud and deserving of a top 5 ranking BUT...even if his ceiling is AP, so what? We could put the REAL AP on this team and I don't think it changes all that much. Just ask Minny.

That's why on the other draft thread I listed RB as a need but put it further down the list and didn't include any RB on the "short list" for our first pick.

I'd much rather go WR Blackmon with our 1st pick and then go get a stud DE like Whitney Mercilus from Illinois with Atlanta's pick.

I think RB's are important, but man if you look at all the SB winners over the past 10 years, they all don't feature this huge big time 1st round type RB's.

Steelers and Patriots both took RB's in the first round in the last few years (Mendenhall and Maroney) but neither one was some great cog in their offense. Coulda done without, probably could have used the pick wiser. If anything Mendenhall cost them last year's super bowl.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

+ a Ham Sandwich (or is he the Ham Sandwich?)

[Linked Image]

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

If anything Mendenhall cost them last year's super bowl.

well, Mendenhall was a big reason that Pitt was able to go 3-1 w/o Ben to start last season (averaged 103yds/game and was the highest rusher from either team in all 4 of those games)

#gmstrong
Nas320 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I don't know, I think that old adage has adjusted a bit.

One reason I like Richardson more than a traditional back is his compact frame. Those guys (ala a MJD) tend to be a little more durable at the next level, thus potentially lengthening their careers a bit.

He's also a 3 down back, which is certainly a rarity now a days. Potentially saving a roster spot on Sunday's because of that is very valuable.

The other thing I really like about him is he has limited college mileage. With Ingram being there his first two years, he hasn't been run in to the ground. He only has 493 college carries. When you look at some of the other RB's taken in the top 10, that number is really low.

#4 Cedric Benson - 1112
#4 Darren McFadden - 785
#5 LaDainian Tomlinson - 817
#7 Adrian Peterson - 747
#8 C.J. Spiller - 606

Benson's carry numbers are absurd but the other guys are still significantly higher.

Richardson is a really fresh player at this stage in his career. Even more reason to like him if the Brown's grade him out high.

I'm in the QB camp at this point but TR would be fine by me. Think he's a very talented player at a position the Brown's really need a difference maker.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He was the ham sandwich.

Then he became a pastrami on rye.

This season, he's just peanut butter, no jelly.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He was the ham sandwich.

Then he became a pastrami on rye.

This season, he's just peanut butter, no jelly.

NO JELLY? WHAT IS THIS COMMUNIST RUSSIA?!?!

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Hmm.. Seems to me that list would not be static but rather dynamic because each of 32 teams would value that player differently as their needs would be different. No?

Yeah, but are you looking to do a chart for every team or just for the Browns?

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Updated Draft standings after Week 13:

As far as QBs go I think Luck goes to the Colts and Barkley goes to the Redskins unless somebody trades up above them (Miami?) with StL, Minny or Jax. I want no part of Landry Jones at #7 which only leaves RG3 as an option but I don't think I'd want him there either.

Give me Justin Blackmon at #7 please.

I think we need to become Carolina fans. I could see them taking Blackmon. Maybe even Washington if they aren't sold on any non-Luck QB.

Looking at the QB position of all the teams in the NFL...the market for franchise QBs is growing very small.

This season, the Colts will likely take Luck which leaves only the Seahawks, Redskins and maybe the Dolphins in the market for a QB. Matt Moore has been doing a decent job for the Dolphins and they may not feel need to draft a QB with their first round pick in 2012.

After the 2012 draft, the market for QBs could be even smaller, which might lead to some exceptional QB talent dropping down the draft board in 2013. One more season observing McCoy should give the front office enough information to decide if he is their franchise QB, or not.

Looking at the bigger picture, this might not be the year the Browns look to draft one of the top QB prospects in the first round..it might be 2013..

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
First round, every team. but truth be told, I'm getting a bit less than giddy about doing this lol...

SaintDawg™

N
Legend
Legend
N
the market for franchise QBs may have peaks and valleys, but it's never very small. QBs all the time are giving glimpses and falling off again and then replaced.

Look at TB with Freeman. If his 2012 season mirrors this one, then there's a good chance they will be looking for a new QB.

Baltimore may at least look in the middle rounds for a 'backup' that they secretly hope can compete with Flacco who has been underwhelming.

Bradford sure has not looked good with McDaniel's. maybe he just needs to learn the offense more, but maybe this is just who he is.

et cetera.

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I keep wondering , w/ the way Gabbert has looked so terrible and the possibility of the team moving to L.A., if the Jags might end up taking Barkley.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Mac, you made some good points about the QB's and some of the possibilities in the upcoming Draft.

Conversely, I think that the Rams, Vikings, Jaguars and the Panthers could all be looking for a WR like Blackmon and also the reason why I can't get my hopes too high that he will be a Brown in 2012.

[Linked Image]

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Looks like Kalil is leaning towards staying at USC for his senior year.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Legend
Legend
that seems silly...

man, USC must be awesome. can't believe I didn't go there.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
He can't afford the pay cut.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

He can't afford the pay cut.

then he doesn't understand a cost of living index. and he doesn't have to worry about getting drafted in LA

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Looks like Kalil is leaning towards staying at USC for his senior year.

It is a honorable thing, but it could come back to haunt him if USC has an off year with the absents of Barkley and some others gain favor over him in the eyes of Scouts and the GM's.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Barkley might go back to USC.

USC could be a National Championship contender next year if everyone returns.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

USC would be a National Championship contender next year if everyone returns.

fixed it.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

USC could be a National Championship contender next year if everyone returns.

True, but I'm pretty confident that is still up for debate and there is no guarantee that USC can or would win it all.

The SEC puts out quality teams every year and sometimes like Auburn, they come from where they are least expected to. Who knows Maybe Kentucky will surprise us all next year

[Linked Image]

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Looking at the bigger picture, this might not be the year the Browns look to draft one of the top QB prospects in the first round..it might be 2013..

Yeppers...Let's keep waiting...Wait another year while we build a team that can go 7-9/8-8...

That will get u CHIT as far as a top notch QB is concerned...Draft one then...Swing and a Miss...Next???...

When u r drafting THIS high in ANY draft and there is a bonafide Franchise QB available...If u DON'T have one U TAKE HIM...There is NO damn questioning that...I don't give 3 squats about a gosh damn Brees or Brady...They are exeptions to the rule...For multiple reasons...

We need to get as high as we possibly can to get a trade going for LUCK...Or at least be in position for Barkley...BOTH bonafide FRANCHISE QB's...

Enuff with this BS of taking QB's in the 3rd and later...Developmental my ass...90+% FAILURE...

And guess what...Holmgren ain't got the time...

Side note...

Jango...U and this Weeden BS needs to stop...The dude is gonna be a #2 QB for the 5-7 years he's in the league...WE HAVE A 2...

RGIII...LMAO...R u guys serious???...

Go Browns!!!
S
Legend
Legend
S
I think Barkley comes out. I think it's probably the smart thing to do, although it's gotta be tempting to do one more year after you've suffered through all the BS that their program has dealt with.

If he doesn't USC is going to be really good next year.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

RGIII...LMAO...R u guys serious???...

Have you even watched an entire Baylor game? There are three QBs in this draft I would take for my NFL team: Barkley, Griffin, and Luck. Probably in that order.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

First round, every team. but truth be told, I'm getting a bit less than giddy about doing this lol...

That seems like an awful lot of work just for nothing. Better off just trying to decide who you'd like the Browns to take with their picks or what you'd like them to do with them, like trade up or down.

Legend
Legend
As of Week 14...

1. Indianapolis 0-13 .550
2. St. Louis 2-11 .556
3. Minnesota 2-11 .574
4. Miami 4-9 .509
5. Washington 4-9 .479
6. Carolina 4-9 .479
7. Cleveland 4-9 .497
8. Jacksonville 4-9 .533
9. Tampa Bay 4-9 .550
10. Kansas City 5-8 .479
11. Philadelphia 5-8 .491
12. Buffalo 5-8 .503
13. Arizona 6-7 .467
14. Seattle 6-7 .485
15. San Diego 6-7 .509
16. Dallas 7-6 .467
17. Tennessee 7-6 .497
18. NY Giants* 7-6 .515
19. Cincinnati 7-6 .521
20. Chicago 7-6 .521
21. Cincinnati(OAK) 7-6 .533
22. Cleveland(ATL)* 8-5 .473
23. NY Jets* 8-5 .503
24. Detroit* 8-5 .515
25. Denver* 8-5 .515
26. San Francisco* 10-3 .450
27. New England* 10-3 .450
28. New Orleans* 10-3 .462
29. Houston* 10-3 .467
30. Baltimore* 10-3 .497
31. Pittsburgh* 10-3 .509
32. Green Bay* 13-0 .444

* - Pick may change due to Playoff Results.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
I wonder if we could trade up to St Louis' spot? They have Bradford, and need some semblance of a team around him.Maybe if we give them this year's 1st and next year's 1st we might be able to move up and get the QB of our choice. (minus Luck, obviously)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Atlanta and Draft Order Part III

Link Copied to Clipboard