Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
A

As if there was any doubt, Andrew Luck says he’s ready to leave college after Stanford plays in the Fiesta Bowl.

Luck said on ESPN that he considers himself “absolutely” prepared to leave college and enter the NFL draft. Luck does have one remaining season of NCAA eligibility and could play at Stanford in 2012 if he wanted, but this has been widely regarded as his final college season.

“I think I’m going to hopefully play professional football if a team will have me,” Luck said, via NFL.com.

I think it’s probably safe to say that an NFL team will have him, and that team will probably be the Colts, who at 0-12 have a two-game lead over the Vikings and Rams in the Suck for Luck Sweepstakes, with only four weeks left in the season.

Luck said he hasn’t been planning any type of formal announcement about his plans to enter the NFL draft because he thought it was obvious that this is his last season in college.

“I thought it was pretty formal or understood when I came back for my final year, so I have no clue if I’ll make a formal announcement or not,” Luck said.

That may have been the only announcement he needs.

Link

F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

“I think I’m going to hopefully play professional football if a team will have me,” Luck said, via NFL.com.

Yeah, play it up like you haven't read any of the papers.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
ANY team will have him.

The question is if HE will have just any team!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It's Lucks luck.. that the Colts would have the first round pick..

No way he would play that next season...Who knows where he would end up..

He's getting one of the best mentors in Peyton....

Legend
Legend
It's just poetic... The Lucky Charms getting Luck.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

that part made me LOL

C
Legend
Legend
C
If they keep Peyton around.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Looks like boasting in the form of false modesty, the guy is obviously full of himself. I don't think we should draft him.

yebat' Putin
R
Legend
Legend
R
Sarcasm?

Legend
Legend
maybe.

yebat' Putin
I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
Quote:

If they keep Peyton around.

Looks like the Colts will make out like bandits on a trade.

“Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs. Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their family.” -AOC
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I have no problem giving the Colts three first round draft picks to move up and take Luck.

I'm tired of watching mediocre QB play. That's the bottom line.

Use the other picks to shore up the OL. Keep Hillis. Get a top WR free agent and lets play some decent ball in 2012.

[Linked Image]
L
2nd String
2nd String
L
Quote:

I have no problem giving the Colts three first round draft picks to move up and take Luck.

Use the other picks to shore up the OL. Keep Hillis. Get a top WR free agent and lets play some decent ball in 2012.

Not to mention you cannot find good QB's in free agency (normally) with the franchise tag. Every other position there are players that are good enough to start that hit the market. WR has a HUGE crop of players next year, should be interesting to see if we can snag one and then trade everything for Luck.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Looks like boasting in the form of false modesty, the guy is obviously full of himself. I don't think we should draft him.

Just for the neck beard alone we shouldn't draft him.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Sounds like a plan to me. Patch some of the defense with a draft pick or 2, and sign a couple of guys to plus some gaping holes. We might even be able to trade a TE for a player who could help.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Peyton Manning has said that, by March, his future in Indianapolis will become apparent. As the Colts close in on the ability to take Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck with the first overall pick in the 2012 draft, Archie Manning has provided the first tangible evidence to suggest that a divorce is coming.

Specifically, Archie doesn’t believe that Peyton and Luck will want to be teammates in Indianapolis.

“I don’t think it’d necessarily be great for either one,” Archie Manning told FOX Sports Radio’s Zakk & Jack Show on Tuesday. “I think Andrew’s the type of mature player . . . he can walk right in. I mean, these other three or four guys that are playing this year, [if] they can walk in and contribute, Andrew can, too. . . .

“We know Andrew well. He comes down to our camp every year. I used to play with his dad [Oliver]. . . . I’m in New York, I heard from him last night. Peyton’s also vried to help Andrew and kind of be a friend. I doubt if either one want to play on the same team.”

It wasn’t an accident or a coincidence. It was a clear sign that, if the Colts plan to take Luck, Peyton will be looking for a path out of town. And for good reason. With the first overall pick worth more than ever this year, Peyton surely would prefer that the Colts trade the rights to Luck for players and/or draft picks who could help Peyton win more Super Bowls.

Of course, it’s also possible that Archie has advised Oliver on the procedure for making a power play, which Archie did seven years ago when Eli Manning forced his way out of San Diego. And so, if Andrew Luck makes it clear that he doesn’t want to play for the Colts, the Colts could keep Peyton.

Either way, this all needs to happen before early March, since the Colts owe Peyton another $28 million at that point. If it doesn’t, there’s a chance that the Colts end up not with both players, but with neither.

link

R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

Quote:

Sounds like a plan to me. Patch some of the defense with a draft pick or 2, and sign a couple of guys to plus some gaping holes. We might even be able to trade a TE for a player who could help.

Sounds like a plan to me too. A good QB probably gets us to 8-8 with some division wins for once. Take the next 2-3 years buidling up the rest of the team, and we may have something.

Legend
Legend
huh. I expected Peyton to give it one more go-round with Luck on the bench and then finally formally accept the head coaching job over there.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Was anyone listening to Cowherd today... Archie said almost the exact opposite of all of this. Their was certainly nothing that would have made anyone think that Peyton and Luck "wouldn't want to be together".

Something was clearly said by someone (an agent, Peyton) between his radio spots today.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
General reply:

Luck will never be drafted by the Colts. Colts add 2 or 3 studs with additional draft picks and they become the favorite to win the superbowl with manning at the helm. They will trade down, let the bidding begin.

Also many of the media comparing Luck situtation to Rogers is nonsense. It was 2 vastly different circumstances. Rogers was no where near ready to run an NFL offense. Luck in most eyes is day 1 ready to be a stud.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

General reply:

Luck will never be drafted by the Colts. Colts add 2 or 3 studs with additional draft picks and they become the favorite to win the superbowl with manning at the helm. They will trade down, let the bidding begin.

Also many of the media comparing Luck situtation to Rogers is nonsense. It was 2 vastly different circumstances. Rogers was no where near ready to run an NFL offense. Luck in most eyes is day 1 ready to be a stud.

Even with the 28 million Manning is due in March?

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I see what you did there.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Luck said on ESPN that he considers himself “absolutely” prepared to leave college and enter the NFL draft

What is it anyone would expect him to say?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Hypothetical...

Manning is healthy. Colts commit to him and look to trade the pick.

If you're the Browns would you be willing to include Joe Thomas in a trade for it?

I ask because there isn't a better pass blocking LT in the NFL and it makes a lot of sense to protect Manning with his neck injury.

Seems to me that would be very appealing for the Colts who would be trying to win now and may not covet a bunch of picks to groom.

I think our #1 and Joe Thomas seals that deal. The Colts drop a few spots in the draft and have a protector for the rest of Manning's career.

Do I do that? Not sure. If I think Luck is a Top 5 QB in the next couple years. Yes I do it.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If you're the Browns would you be willing to include Joe Thomas in a trade for it?

Helno Heldawg! We absolutely can not give up one of our few established good players for a high draft pic. We're in desperate need of more good players, not swapping them out.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Joe Thomas is my favorite player since the reboot and he's at one of the hardest positions to fill in "the national football league" (i get paid every time i say that too).

But it might take out of the box thinking to get a deal done. Just posing the question and thinking about it from the Colts perspective.

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
The other side of the coin...

What will it cost to trade for Manning? If we can shore up the QB position with a bonified stud that unlike Luck is proven on the NFL level it would allow us to build the team. Then draft our guy. Peyton could have a better team around him here than in Indy. He could make a legacy of being the guy that brought the Browns to glory again.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A first round pick. Not the Top 5 pick, but Atlanta's pick.

If we could get Peyton Manning for that, even if he is only going to play at a high level for 3-4 more years, I'd do it.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The other side of the coin...

What will it cost to trade for Manning? If we can shore up the QB position with a bonified stud that unlike Luck is proven on the NFL level it would allow us to build the team. Then draft our guy. Peyton could have a better team around him here than in Indy. He could make a legacy of being the guy that brought the Browns to glory again.

I can't imagine what a cap hit that would be.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
If Manning isn't on the Colts it will be because 1) He got cut 2) He restructures his contract.

Manning has something like a $28 million bonus that kicks in before the league year starts (meaning the Colts can't trade him because they would have already paid his bonus). He could restructure to help the Colts trade him, but why would he do that? If he gets cut he can choose whatever team he wants to go to. On the other hand, if he restructures I'm sure the Colts would only deal him to a team he would want to go to (not us).

N
Legend
Legend
N
that's an interesting question. what ready made championship contender is out there that just needs to insert Peyton Manning?

first thought was the Bears, but then they are in the same division as the Packers, which makes things tough from the onset.

next thought was the 49ers. that might be the slam dunk choice.

and do not think the Colts will heavily prefer to send him to the NFC (as they wouldn't want Peyton being a thorn in their side as Luck matures into his role)

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

that's an interesting question. what ready made championship contender is out there that just needs to insert Peyton Manning?

*cough* Baltimore *cough*

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

*cough* Baltimore *cough*

naw, football players go from Baltimore to Indy in the middle of the night. they don't go in the opposite direction.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
you don't think Baltimore with Peyton would be penciled in as a SB favorite?

Legend
Legend
now that's just funny... very wrong and callous, but funny

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

you don't think Baltimore with Peyton would be penciled in as a SB favorite?

that's a joke son. you missed it. flew right by ya.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

what ready made championship contender is out there that just needs to insert Peyton Manning?

Dolphins? Jets?

Legend
Legend
I would seriously doubt they'd trade him to an AFC team.

How about a team like Seattle?

I don't think Carroll plans to be there forever, He might go all in to get that ring so he can go back to the college ranks and live happily ever after, they've got a running game already...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
Legend
Legend
C
Right. They aren't going to trade him at all. If Peyton Manning isn't a Colt he will be cut, not traded. Meaning he will be able to pick whatever team he wants.

Legend
Legend
Unless he agrees to push his bonus back to a date that would allow them to trade him before paying him...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Andrew Luck says he’s “absolutely” ready for the NFL

Link Copied to Clipboard