Brownoholic #640436 12/12/11 02:56 PM
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

j/c

Manti Te'o not entering draft . . .

that sucks. I was hoping we'd maybe grab him with our 2nd pick. Good player.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

j/c

Manti Te'o not entering draft . . .

that sucks. I was hoping we'd maybe grab him with our 2nd pick. Good player.

I think he needs another year in college. good move by him.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I agree. He was very ordinary v. Stanford.

mac #640439 12/12/11 03:09 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

Quote:

I wish I knew whether Pinkston was being considered as a future RT.

Pinkston started at LT for the Pitt Panthers for 3 years and now has a year experience playing guard which is probably the best OJT he could have gotten, to prepare him to move to RT.

Steinbach should be coming back to his guard spot, which should move Pinkston to RT, Imo. What the Browns do with Pashos is unknown, but he could be retained as depth for RT and OG.

If the Browns do move Pinkston to RT, it should free up our two first round picks to draft positions of need other than the offensive line. I could see the Browns using their 2nd round pick to draft one of the top OGs in this draft.

I am thinking along those lines as well...I am becoming interested in another trade down - of 1A - for additional picks if Blackmon is gone.

My target in the trade-down of our 1A would be DeCastro and a top 14 pick should get that. It may be over-drafting a little , but a STUD next to the re-located Pinkston would make the Pinston move all the more palatable.

I am thinking that a no doubt stud like DeCastro would facilitate Pinkston's move to RT...and upgrades Lavauo to be an interior backup. Sort of shores up RG, RT, and a serviceable interior backup OL with ONE pick...I realize that one pick is very valuable in more ways than just the one I presented.

mac #640440 12/12/11 03:09 PM
Legend
Legend
Pinkston looked very bad in tackle drills at the senior bowl against "top" competition. I figured he'd go into the NFL as a guard only. When H/H drafted him, they said they took him expecting him to play OG, so I hope converting him to tackle is not our plan going forward.

WSU Willie #640441 12/12/11 03:16 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
if we HAD to draft OL in the top15, then it should be RT. that way we would move Pinkston to RG where he is better suited (assuming Steiny comes back healthy, no guarantee)

but, I think we should draft OL no earlier than the 2nd round (this time around)

#gmstrong
WSU Willie #640442 12/12/11 03:40 PM
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

What the Browns do with Pashos is unknown,

Waive him....Just like he waived at the Defenders he was suppose to block.

Seiously, we can do better for what we pay him.

ClayM57 #640443 12/12/11 04:40 PM
Legend
Legend
If he's affordable (I haven't checked) and can also play Guard, you keep him and get rid of one of the lesser guys.

At the very least, you then have a solid backup at more than one position with experience in the offense.
As much as it is disliked, he is near the top of the talent list for our OLine, and you don't cut from the top. You don't cut someone until either you have to or you have no need for them.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

PrplPplEater #640444 12/12/11 04:47 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
he signed a 3yr $10.3mil contract before last season (so 1 year still left)
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4973776

not sure how much is left on it for next year but I would guess at least $2mil. that's not terrible for a backup if we draft his replacement at RT.

#gmstrong
PrplPplEater #640445 12/12/11 04:55 PM
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I agree, But and here is why I said Waive the guy....I'd also like to add, I'm one of the people who wants to draft a O-lineman every year in the top two - three rounds, So I'm a Off. Line person.

How many games did he miss last year, I dont have exact number but I know he missed alot....How many this year I'd say 3-4 and the ones he's played he's been pretty ineffective, I do believe he is one of our lesser talented lineman, due to his injuries, when he's healthy he's pretty good, but those years are behind him, he cant stay healthy, If he could we wouldnt be looking at a RT, we'd be looking to extend his contract.

just my .02

ClayM57 #640446 12/12/11 05:09 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
he can't stay healthy as a starter, but can he stay healthy as a backup?
if we only need him 4-5 games when others are hurt?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Miami's Miller jumping to the NFL
Posted on: December 12, 2011 2:53 pm
Edited on: December 12, 2011 2:57 pm

Miami RB Lamar Miller is leaving early for the NFL draft, a source told CBS.

Miller had a breakout season for the Canes this fall, rushing for 1272 yards (the third-most in UM history in a single season) and nine touchdowns. He leaves UM with two seasons of eligibility remaining. The 5-11, 216-pound back with sprinter speed blossomed this year after learning to become a more patient runner. Miller explained before the season that because he was in such a rush to trying and make something happen that he struggled to let plays develop. The difference in his performance was dramatic. He went over 100 yards seven times this season as UM's feature back. In 2010, he ran for 646 yards and six TDs as a redshirt freshman, while also shining as a kick returner.

Miller is expected by many draft analysts to be a first-round pick. He figures to test very well in the pre-draft workout settings. He is considered one of the fastest players in the Miami program and is expected to clock in the 4.3 range in the 40.

Miller is the third underclassmen to declare early for the NFL draft, joining WR Tommy Streeter and DT Marcus Forston. web page

--------------------------------------
Miller is the third hurricane to declare, just to clarify. Kid has some skill and is clearly a first round talent but he could drop to the 2nd due to lack of need at RB for most teams.

For a team desperate for speed, Miller would be an intriguing addition as would streeter. Streeter is just now starting to emerge as a stud. Getting better everytime out.

WSU Willie #640448 12/12/11 07:16 PM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Pinkston started at LT for the Pitt Panthers for 3 years and now has a year experience playing guard which is probably the best OJT he could have gotten, to prepare him to move to RT.

Steinbach should be coming back to his guard spot, which should move Pinkston to RT, Imo. What the Browns do with Pashos is unknown, but he could be retained as depth for RT and OG.

If the Browns do move Pinkston to RT, it should free up our two first round picks to draft positions of need other than the offensive line. I could see the Browns using their 2nd round pick to draft one of the top OGs in this draft.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am thinking along those lines as well...I am becoming interested in another trade down - of 1A - for additional picks if Blackmon is gone.

My target in the trade-down of our 1A would be DeCastro and a top 14 pick should get that. It may be over-drafting a little , but a STUD next to the re-located Pinkston would make the Pinston move all the more palatable.

I am thinking that a no doubt stud like DeCastro would facilitate Pinkston's move to RT...and upgrades Lavauo to be an interior backup. Sort of shores up RG, RT, and a serviceable interior backup OL with ONE pick...I realize that one pick is very valuable in more ways than just the one I presented.

At this time, it's hard to know how much difference in talent and skill there is between the top 4 OG prospects in this draft.

David DeCastro...OG... 6-5, 310.. Stanford
Cordy Glenn...OG...6-5, 340.. Georgia
Kelechi Osemele...OG...6-5, 340.. Iowa State
Barrett Jones...OG...6-5, 310.. Alabama

All 4 of these OG prospects are considered blue chip in this draft. That means, there should be one available by the time the Browns draft in the second round. If the Browns had to trade up in the second round a few spots to get the OG they want, we have some extra picks to deal with.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
clevesteve #640449 12/12/11 07:42 PM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Pinkston looked very bad in tackle drills at the senior bowl against "top" competition.

One area that the Browns coaching staff has been poor at in the past is developing raw talent into starting talent. It has taken Oline coach Warhop more time than many hoped to coach up and improve the play of the offensive line, but they are getting better.

I'm not claiming Warhop is among the elite Oline coaches but he is showing the ability to develop young talent. Those Oline coaches that have the ability to take raw talent and develop them into starters are a very valuable asset to there teams.

I'm not about to claim that Warhop can develop Pinkston into a RT but then again, how good does Pinkston have to be to replace Pashos?

If the Browns can't develop someone into a RT, the Browns will be forced to go free agency or draft a RT. That might mean the Browns would have to use one of their 1st round picks to draft a starting caliber RT.

The last alternative might be to keep Pashos another year.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #640450 12/12/11 08:19 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Hopefully Steinbach can come back and play LG without any problems.

I like Pinkston's play while filling in, but I don't think I'd keep him as the starter anywhere on the line.

Lauvao is garbage. Pashos isn't even as good as Lauvao. I'd draft a RT and RG and keep Pinkston in there as depth and look to keep another one or two for depth. Probably Vallos and maybe Greco since they're the younger ones on the team.

The best G in this draft won't be available in the 2nd round. We might be able to get a serviceable RT in the 3rd round. Either Levy Adcock or Nate Potter should be there in the 3rd round.

Depending on where our first of the 1st round picks is, I wouldn't be averse to trading back a few spots and picking up another 2 picks (2nd and 3rd in 2012) or something similar if we found that the value was there.

The Browns definitely need to fill some holes and people always forget about kickers. We'll need one after this season as Dawson won't be back. Matt Prater showed how valuable a kicker can be. Hitting a 59-yarder (yeah, I know, Denver's thin air and all) and then a 51-yarder to win it.

mac #640451 12/12/11 08:25 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Of those 4 guards, DeCastro is clearly the #1. It's not even that close.

mac #640452 12/12/11 10:27 PM
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Quote:

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At this time, it's hard to know how much difference in talent and skill there is between the top 4 OG prospects in this draft.

David DeCastro...OG... 6-5, 310.. Stanford
Cordy Glenn...OG...6-5, 340.. Georgia
Kelechi Osemele...OG...6-5, 340.. Iowa State
Barrett Jones...OG...6-5, 310.. Alabama

All 4 of these OG prospects are considered blue chip in this draft. That means, there should be one available by the time the Browns draft in the second round. If the Browns had to trade up in the second round a few spots to get the OG they want, we have some extra picks to deal with.

The Milwaukee Journel Sentinal has one of (THE?) best football writers, Bob McGinn. Each year around this time, he gives an early look at the draft by position. In it, he interviews scouts from different teams along with their quotes about the different standout guys from each group. In talking o-line, the scout said DeCastro is a huge reason why Stanford is so successful and has him as a top 15 pick and capable of playing tackle.

Just thought I'd throw that out there....Another scout said his teammate Martin is more late round 1 material

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
anarchy2day #640453 12/12/11 10:40 PM
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
I have the Browns losing out the rest of the year along with Indy, Minn, St L, Miami, and TB. That would put the Browns with the 5th pick as it stands today but could be the 6th if our SOS goes higher then TB these last couple of weeks. There's a chance Miami could be Buffalo this upcoming week but our ceiling for the draft is # 4 b/c the Rams and Minnesota won't win more then 1 game the last 3 weeks.

With that said, I'd say the draft goes like this:
Indy - Luck
Minn - Kalil (assuming he comes out)
Rams - Blackmon
Miami - Barkley
Browns - Richardson
TB - Claiborne
Wash - RGIII
Carolina - Coples
Jacksonville - Kirkpatrick
Seattle - DeCastro

Not what to think as that's awful high for a RB but if we can't trade back, do we load up on more defense with Claiborne or Coples? Take a flyer on RGIII?

wojo_dew #640454 12/12/11 10:44 PM
Legend
Legend
The only way we trade back, is if say Miami and Washington are behind us and either we don't take Barkley (I might cry) or someone like Shanahan falls for RG3...

If were in the top 5, I'm not trading out of the top 10... We need better players more than more chances IMO

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
ThatGuy #640455 12/12/11 10:55 PM
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
I don't think Barkley has the arm to be much more then average. I think he can win ala Mark Sanchez or Alex Smith but I don't think he can be the guy to carry a team

ThatGuy #640456 12/12/11 11:06 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Colts aren't going to keep both Manning and Luck. Luck would probably reenter the draft before sitting behind Peyton for 4 or 5 years.

I think the Phins trade the farm for Luck. They already have a pretty good roster so for them to give up picks isnt that big of a deal.

Colts reload with Peyton, fire their HC and bring back Peyton's OC. All those picks from Miami and they are the team to beat in the AFC for the next 4 or 5 years.

Shannahan loves the mobile QB. RG3 just seems right up his alley.

Barkley just seems like the guy destined to fall to the Browns and we will probably be 4th or 5th so he isnt falling far. Barkley is gone, I could see Heckert holding steady and waiting to see which QB fell into his lap with the Falcons pick. Jones or Tannehill could be there.

Mourgrym #640457 12/12/11 11:10 PM
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
I don't hear much about this scenario on here, but what do you think about the Browns trading their 1B or 2nd round pick for Ryan Mallet? Could sitting behind Brady for a year and maturing under Belichick be bad for him???

wojo_dew #640458 12/12/11 11:18 PM
Legend
Legend
You want to give up a 1st round pick for a 3rd round pick?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
ThatGuy #640459 12/12/11 11:21 PM
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
I'd consider it...guy has top 5 pick arm and produced in the best conference in college football. He slipped b/c of maturity...would drafting whatever bustout QB falls to our 2nd round pick be better strategy? Or Uncle Rico at #5?

wojo_dew #640460 12/12/11 11:24 PM
Legend
Legend
Mallett would be a horrible fit scheme wise

wojo_dew #640461 12/12/11 11:24 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I liked Mallet and I thought he was the #2 QB last year behind Cam. Apparently, I was one of very few that thought that way lol.

Colt was Holmgren's pet project and not Heckerts. I think Heckert like all GM's wants that signature pick. He wants his stud quarterback. The question is which quarterback does he see as that guy.

candyman92 #640462 12/12/11 11:25 PM
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
...and McCoy was supposed to be perfect....Those big arm QB's can't throw slants? Good thing Aaron Rodgers isn't available

wojo_dew #640463 12/12/11 11:30 PM
Legend
Legend
Mallet is a younger version of DA.

He can rocket the ball down the field...

But don't depend on him throwing it accurately short...

wojo_dew #640464 12/12/11 11:32 PM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I know everyone is talking about quarterback and all but I think if I were to throw a mock draft out there it'd be something like this,

1. Blackmon, RGIII, Barkley, one of the three...
1. Depending on what we do with the first pick, we need a RT.
2. Draft Chase Minnifield out of Virginia to shore up the side opposite of Haden and also just draft the kid because his name is Minnifield. I really don't want to see us make the same mistake twice with a kid of one of our former players. Not saying Minnifield is going to be elite in the league like Matthews Jr. but I'd hate for us to pass up on talent with a pedigree.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I know everyone is talking about quarterback and all but I think if I were to throw a mock draft out there it'd be something like this,

1. Blackmon, RGIII, Barkley, one of the three...
1. Depending on what we do with the first pick, we need a RT.
2. Draft Chase Minnifield out of Virginia to shore up the side opposite of Haden and also just draft the kid because his name is Minnifield. I really don't want to see us make the same mistake twice with a kid of one of our former players. Not saying Minnifield is going to be elite in the league like Matthews Jr. but I'd hate for us to pass up on talent with a pedigree.

As bad as we need to improve our offense.. the players I want won't be there where we draft..

I'd love to see us get:

1a) Dre Kirkpatrick - CB - Alabama
1b) Vontaze Burfict - LB - Arizona St.
2) Vinny Curry - DE - Marshall

Vinny Curry probably won't be there.. but hey.. its a mock

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
I want NOTHING to do with Burfict...

Guy gets blocked way too easily in the College ranks...

Then gets penalized waaaay too much...

No thanks...

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Quote:

1b) Vontaze Burfict - LB - Arizona St.

No thanks. I will be surprised if he is even taken in the first round.

He should stay for his senior year, to at least try and prove he is not a complete idiot.

[color:"white"]I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane -Waylon Jennings
ThatGuy #640468 12/13/11 01:06 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Nobody on here ever seems to mention the 2 Bama Lb's coming out. Upshaw could be there with our 1b Hightower will be for sure and might be there with our 2. I would be happy getting one of those 2 wwith one of those picks.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Jester #640469 12/13/11 11:42 AM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Nobody on here ever seems to mention the 2 Bama Lb's coming out. Upshaw could be there with our 1b Hightower will be for sure and might be there with our 2. I would be happy getting one of those 2 wwith one of those picks.

i want no part of hightower in the 1st round. he's more of a 3-4 MLB to start with. he's bigger, slower(for his size he has good speed but not in general), and not very good in coverage. then, there's the knee injury. if he's there in the 2nd round, then I would jump, but I suspect that a 3-4 team will take him in the first (where he grades out much better).

Upshaw isn't big enough to be a DE but isn't fast enough to play a 4-3 MLB. he's a 3-4 OLB.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Anybody know where Ryan Broyles was expected to go before his injury and where he is expected to go now?

I'd like us to draft 2 wideouts with speed and actual YAC ability this draft.

clevesteve #640471 12/13/11 12:15 PM
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
j/c

Lets suppose that the draft was today and that the first 6 picks went like this

Indianapolis.......Andrew Luck, QB
Minnesota.........Matt Kalil, OT
St. Louis...........Jonathan Martin, OT
Washington.......Robert Griffin III, QB
Jacksonville.......Justin Blackmon, WR
Carolina.............Morris Claiborne, CB
Miami................Matt Barkley, QB

No trades, no arguing about a team 1-6 not picking the player, etc...just the Browns picking at #7, who do you take? I'd presume that the most likely candidates would be Quinton Coples, Landry Jones, Trent Richardson, Dre Kirkpatrick, Alshon Jeffery.

I'd personally be torn between Coples and Richardson.

clwb419 #640472 12/13/11 12:18 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Jeffrey and thank StL for not taking him.

#gmstrong
clwb419 #640473 12/13/11 12:20 PM
Legend
Legend
for me it would be richardson or kirkpatrick.

clwb419 #640474 12/13/11 12:29 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
For me, I'd be doing this for the second year in a row the player I want going 1 pick ahead of us (Peterson last year, and Barkley this year)

clwb419 #640475 12/13/11 12:34 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

j/c

Lets suppose that the draft was today and that the first 6 picks went like this

Indianapolis.......Andrew Luck, QB
Minnesota.........Matt Kalil, OT
St. Louis...........Jonathan Martin, OT
Washington.......Robert Griffin III, QB
Jacksonville.......Justin Blackmon, WR
Carolina.............Morris Claiborne, CB
Miami................Matt Barkley, QB

No trades, no arguing about a team 1-6 not picking the player, etc...just the Browns picking at #7, who do you take? I'd presume that the most likely candidates would be Quinton Coples, Landry Jones, Trent Richardson, Dre Kirkpatrick, Alshon Jeffery.

I'd personally be torn between Coples and Richardson.

Given that, I'd take the DE. I think he is going to be really good and would have a major impact.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) 2012 Draft

Link Copied to Clipboard