Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
clevesteve #640476 12/13/11 12:57 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Anybody know where Ryan Broyles was expected to go before his injury and where he is expected to go now?

I'd like us to draft 2 wideouts with speed and actual YAC ability this draft.

He was a late 2nd at best to early 4th at worst pre injury

Since he is a slot WR only and has a ACL injury that will start his career on PUP I guess he slides to early 4th at best to late 5th at worst...really depends on the alternatives in the class and how deep overall the class is...def a guy worth taking a flyer on with 1 of our 2 4ths imho

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
DjangoBrown #640477 12/13/11 01:04 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

def a guy worth taking a flyer on with 1 of our 2 4ths imho

thanks. that's what I had in mind, too. even if we have to stash him. Heck, we took Jordan Freakin' Cameron in the top of the fourth last year... why not somewhere that we need multiple players?

clevesteve #640478 12/13/11 01:10 PM
Legend
Legend
what about Terrance Williams out of Baylor? Any chance he declares early with Griffin leaving? He is very fast and performed well alongside Wright.

Mourgrym #640479 12/13/11 04:46 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have to admit that I would love to take flyer on this RG3 .. Just might put some excitement back on our field !

This draft doesn't seem to have the one player I desperately want for this team " A monster Middle Linebacker " ( move DQ outside ) ,, If I am missing one please tell who/whom ? I want a Big Nasty ( enforcer type ) , speed would be an asset also . WR , RT , CB , Safety, yes Iknow.. But a big Nasty would make me so very happy.

anarchy2day #640480 12/13/11 05:24 PM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Of those 4 guards, DeCastro is clearly the #1. It's not even that close.

anarc...and he may not be available when the Browns draft.

The point is, there are at least 3 other very good OGs that might be around when the Browns draft in round 2.

The Browns have so many needs and so few draft picks..it seems there are never enough. I wish we could afford to spend a first round pick on an OG, but with so many needs on defense, it becomes difficult to justify an OG with a first round pick.

Free agency is an alternative and might be utilized to fill our Oline needs if the Browns choose to use the 2 first round picks and our 2nd pick to fill needs other than the Oline.

While I would absolutely support the use of a high draft pick to fill our Oline needs, realistically, the Browns have other needs that might be more pressing.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #640481 12/13/11 06:55 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

I wish we could afford to spend a first round pick on an OG, but with so many needs on defense, it becomes difficult to justify an OG with a first round pick.

We have one of the fathers of the west coast offense as our Team President. We have a GM that has been looking for WCO players for a decade now. We are committed to a head coach / play caller steeped in the WCO.

I don't care if we spend every pick in 2011 on offense.

Just fix it!

I'm tired of this crap!

Trade 3 first rounders and get Luck (Trade 4! I don't care! Get it done!)
Get the best free agent WR
Shore up the OL with young talent. Get a top FA if need be.

I'm done watching unwatchable football! FIX THIS THING!!!!!

I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!!!

[Linked Image]
Heldawg #640482 12/13/11 08:42 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
web page

Well my favorite RT prospect, DJ Fluker, is staying in school.

mac #640483 12/13/11 11:49 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

anarc...and he may not be available when the Browns draft.

The point is, there are at least 3 other very good OGs that might be around when the Browns draft in round 2.

Maybe, but DeCastro is the best of the group without question. He might even be there for the Browns second selection, depending on how the Falcons finish the season. They finish against Jax, NO and TB.

Quote:

The Browns have so many needs and so few draft picks..it seems there are never enough. I wish we could afford to spend a first round pick on an OG, but with so many needs on defense, it becomes difficult to justify an OG with a first round pick.

Why? SF did so two years ago (Mike Iupati) with the 17th overall pick and with the 11th overall pick, they chose their LT (Anthony Davis). They're now currently sitting with the #2 seed in the NFC and have won their division, even if it is a weak one.

Quote:

Free agency is an alternative and might be utilized to fill our Oline needs if the Browns choose to use the 2 first round picks and our 2nd pick to fill needs other than the Oline.

Maybe, but do you really expect top-tier free agents to come to the Browns, no matter what the position?

Quote:

While I would absolutely support the use of a high draft pick to fill our Oline needs, realistically, the Browns have other needs that might be more pressing.

This is true and I think a RT could be gotten in the third round. I'd really like to get a playmaker in the first round, but they'd have to fit the system. Would Trent Richardson be worth it? I'm not so sure. Are the WRs worth it. I'm beginning to wonder. I don't think I'd be upset with Blackmon on pure athleticism alone but I'm beginning to question whether it would be the best choice.

I'm leaning towards trading down a few spots and accumulating picks, this year and next year. Not that we couldn't use higher picks, but because picks in the first three rounds should absolutely be starting quality and if we could get another first rounder and second rounder next year (no matter where it is) would be good for the team.

anarchy2day #640484 12/16/11 08:49 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
jc

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2011/12/15/2633827/glaring-nfl-teams-needs#storyjump

1. Cleveland Browns - Biggest Need: QB The Browns are still building their offense and will most likely focus on offensive skill players during the draft. While the Browns may not have all the weapons to be running a consistently dangerous offense, remarks from GM Mike Holmgren have made it seem as though he doesn't think the long term quarterback is on the roster. Usually, that is an indication that said team will be in play for the top talent at the position and the Browns have a lot of ammo to be in play for the top QB talent in 2012. If their current losing streak extends to the end of the season, they may not need to give up too much to get what they are looking for. 2012 Draft Pick - Matt Barkley, QB USC While they could put together the ammo to move all the way to #1, they could just move ahead of the Redskins and have their pick of QB outside of Luck. Barkley played in a west coast style system at USC and would fit into what Holmgren wants at QB. People will question his height, but he played behind a NFL OL in college and showed the smarts and arm to play at a high level.

#gmstrong

DjangoBrown #640485 12/16/11 08:54 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

jc

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2011/12/15/2633827/glaring-nfl-teams-needs#storyjump

1. Cleveland Browns - Biggest Need: QB The Browns are still building their offense and will most likely focus on offensive skill players during the draft. While the Browns may not have all the weapons to be running a consistently dangerous offense, remarks from GM Mike Holmgren have made it seem as though he doesn't think the long term quarterback is on the roster. Usually, that is an indication that said team will be in play for the top talent at the position and the Browns have a lot of ammo to be in play for the top QB talent in 2012. If their current losing streak extends to the end of the season, they may not need to give up too much to get what they are looking for. 2012 Draft Pick - Matt Barkley, QB USC While they could put together the ammo to move all the way to #1, they could just move ahead of the Redskins and have their pick of QB outside of Luck. Barkley played in a west coast style system at USC and would fit into what Holmgren wants at QB. People will question his height, but he played behind a NFL OL in college and showed the smarts and arm to play at a high level.

What comments did Holmgren make that makes this writer think that the QB isn't on the roster?

I didn't hear that at all..

Oh wait, it's Django posting this.. never mind

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Damanshot #640486 12/16/11 12:11 PM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

Brownoholic #640487 12/16/11 12:19 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Matt Kalil officially entering the draft . . .

why? because an elite LT is one more player that a team ahead of the Browns will likely select (pushing more talent that we need to our spot)

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

why? because an elite LT is one more player that a team ahead of the Browns will likely select (pushing more talent that we need to our spot)

Hopefully the Rams value the LT more than the WR...

yebat' Putin
DCDAWGFAN #640489 12/16/11 12:57 PM
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Well, I think there's a good offensive 4 deep anyway:

Luck
Barkley
Kalil
Blackmon

I'd be pretty happy with any of the four with our first pick. And yes, if the other three were gone, you take Kalil in a heartbeat and put together the best bookends since the greatest show on turf.

~Lyuokdea
Lyuokdea #640490 12/16/11 01:16 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I know a lot of people arent as high on Jonathon Martin as I am but I think he is the best tackle in this class. The kid isn't as developed in run blocking, as they run a lot of zone blocking, but he has fantastic feet and he never gets beats. Heck, he doesn't even come close to getting beat.

Right now I would say Rams, Panthers, Chiefs, Cards, Bills, vikings and Redskins are all in play for a left tackle. Then you have teams like the Browns and Jags in desperate need of a RT.

It is going to be a very interesting draft.

DjangoBrown #640491 12/16/11 01:19 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

jc

One opinion among many. I could point to a site that backs my view.

Truth is, my view is my own and I'm not going to point to someone else's to validate it.

Mourgrym #640492 12/16/11 01:29 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I know a lot of people arent as high on Jonathon Martin as I am but I think he is the best tackle in this class.

I think so too but I don't think I take him. We have other urgent needs and I think a competent RT can get got in round 3 or even round 4, if necessary. Some have expressed moving Pinkston to RT and he was taken in the 5th round last year.

Quote:

The kid isn't as developed in run blocking, as they run a lot of zone blocking, but he has fantastic feet and he never gets beats. Heck, he doesn't even come close to getting beat.

He'd do a fine job at run blocking. If we were looking for our LT, I'd definitely consider taking him, but I don't think we need it.

Quote:

Right now I would say Rams, Panthers, Chiefs, Cards, Bills, vikings and Redskins are all in play for a left tackle. Then you have teams like the Browns and Jags in desperate need of a RT.

I think we could look at Levy Adcock or Nate Potter in the 3rd or 4th round to secure the right side. We're in more vital need of a RG though. If we can't get DeCastro with reasonable expectations in the early to mid-teens (yeah, I'd trade back from the Top 5 or Top 10) if we could get him from anywhere from 13 to 16.

Quote:

It will be very interesting indeed.

Brownoholic #640493 12/16/11 01:32 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Kalil has said all along if Barkley stays, he stays. If Barkley goes, he goes.

What does this tell us about Barkley?

He goes.

That's too bad. USC could have won the title next year.

Mourgrym #640494 12/16/11 01:36 PM
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Quote:

I know a lot of people arent as high on Jonathon Martin as I am but I think he is the best tackle in this class. The kid isn't as developed in run blocking, as they run a lot of zone blocking, but he has fantastic feet and he never gets beats. Heck, he doesn't even come close to getting beat.

He was on my watch list for today - went through a bunch of the youtube clips on Kalil last night (only way I have time to watch these guys, and also the youtube scouting videos are getting pretty good) and was pretty impressed. I'd have him rated below Thomas and Ferguson, but above any other LT i've seen in the past 5 years.

~Lyuokdea
cfrs15 #640495 12/16/11 01:40 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Kalil has said all along if Barkley stays, he stays. If Barkley goes, he goes.

What does this tell us about Barkley?

He goes.

That's too bad. USC could have won the title next year.

Or that Matt Kalil has changed his mind.

anarchy2day #640496 12/16/11 02:00 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I dont even have guard listed as a team need. I like Lauvao and Pinkston and believe they have shown constant improvement. Since week 6, the only game in which the OL hasn't been pretty good was the Texans.

I would still look to upgrade RT as Pashos just can't stay healthy. Adcock in the 3rd sounds good. Big kid from Miss St. in the 4th or 5th wouldnt be a bad investment either.

Mourgrym #640497 12/16/11 04:00 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I originally posted that I wanted Adcock in the 3rd for us as well....unfortunately he's creeping up most boards to the point I think he goes in the 2nd round at this point.

I'd much rather still take Minnifield with our high 2nd than reach a bit to take Adcock there. We could still go grab Andrew Datko from Florida St possibly with our 3rd.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
GraffZ06 #640498 12/16/11 04:36 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
i have a bad feeling that Minnefield goes to GB in the 1st. would just figure after they already have Clay

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like Tom Darden in the first and then take a flyer on a QB later in the draft , like that kid Sipe .

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

i have a bad feeling that Minnefield goes to GB in the 1st. would just figure after they already have Clay

Isn't Minnifield's stock dropping? Thought I read that on several sites . . .

Brownoholic #640501 12/16/11 05:29 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Isn't Minnifield's stock dropping? Thought I read that on several sites . . .

if it is, I am not sure why. he has looked good in the couple of games I have seen him in this year.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Anybody thought that if we dont take Trent Richardson.. that the Bengals will get him..

I know you don't draft based on other teams.. but man.. I would hate it just as much as I hate having to see my boy AJ Green wearing orange and BLACK..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
C
Legend
Legend
C
Seems like he'll be gone before the Raiders/Bengals pick.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Its looking like Janoris Jenkins, Minnifield and Gilmore could be around when we pick in the 2nd. I think 2nd round corner is looking promising for the Browns.

1a. Everyone talking about trading up, Browns trade down with Arizona for their 2nd and 4th. At 14 Browns select guess who Trent Richardson, he is still there as team needs just dont involve RB besides the Browns.

1b. I would say Jones or Tannehill one should be there and that is where we get our QB.

2. Grab a corner whichever is rated highest of those guys that are left.
2b OLB Ronnel Lewis OKlahoma love this kid. Fast hits hard and just an impact player.

3. OT Levy Adcock thats right boom we got our tackle

4a. Tommy Streeter WR Miami big fast pretty good hands, late bloomer
4b. Joe Adams WR Arkansas small fast, wes welker type with big run after catch potential
4 c. Alex Okafor DE texas one of my big sleepers of this draft. This kid has so much raw talent. Just got to bring it out

5. LB DAnny Trevathon Kentucky Undersized but fast and never misses a tackle also great in coverage. Steal if he drops to here.

6a James Carmon OT Miss st. 6-7 and somewhere between 330 and 370 raw prospect moved from DT to OT but has performed admirably. Excellent prospect to groom as your backup at tackle for either side.

6 b. Nicolas Jean-Baptiste DT Baylor at 6-2 and 335 the Browns go back to Baylor for another big tackle that can give Rubin and Taylor a breather when needed.

Mourgrym #640505 12/16/11 06:18 PM
Legend
Legend
Change your 1b to grabbing a WR, corner or safety and I like that a lot.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

PrplPplEater #640506 12/16/11 06:21 PM
Legend
Legend
soooo glad we passed on Gabbert

Gabbert may be bad enough to make Jaguars draft another QB

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 16, 2011, 1:47 PM EST

Getty Images
Blaine Gabbert is playing so badly right now that the Jaguars may consider something practically unheard of in the NFL: Taking Top 10 quarterbacks in back-to-back drafts.

Gabbert’s horrible game in Thursday night’s loss to the Falcons has continued a horrible rookie season for the quarterback the Jaguars chose with the 10th overall pick in this year’s NFL draft. Gabbert is last in the league with a passer rating of 65.6, and he looks lost out there. It’s tough to see why the Jaguars’ next coach, whoever he is, would want Gabbert as his starting quarterback.

So would the Jaguars, who will likely draft somewhere between the fourth and 10th overall picks, take a quarterback? It’s impossible to say right now, as we have no idea who the new coach will be or what kind of offense he’ll run. We also don’t know where new owner Shahid Khan stands on the matter, and whether he’ll take a hands-on or hands-off approach to the draft. But if Baylor’s Robert Griffin III or USC’s Matt Barkley is available to the Jaguars, they’d have to think long and hard about drafting one of them in the Top 10.

That almost never happens. The Cowboys used their first-round picks in 1989 and 1990 on quarterbacks Troy Aikman and Steve Walsh, but the 1990 pick was used in the supplemental draft. (The Cowboys traded Walsh to the Saints in 1990.) The last time a team used consecutive first-round picks in the regular draft on quarterbacks was in 1982-83, when the Baltimore Colts drafted Art Schlichter and John Elway. But that was a highly unusual circumstance in which neither one of those quarterbacks played for the team in 1983: Schlichter was suspended for the entire 1983 season, and the Colts traded Elway to the Broncos before he ever played a down for Baltimore.

Before the Colts, you have to go all the way back to the early 1960s Los Angeles Rams to find a team that used first-round draft picks on quarterbacks in back-to-back years. The Rams actually drafted quarterbacks in the first round three years in a row: Roman Gabriel in 1962, Terry Baker in 1963 and Bill Munson in 1964. But Baker was a college quarterback who played halfback in the NFL, so that’s not quite the same thing, either. Prior to those Rams, the last team to draft quarterbacks in back-to-back first rounds was the 49ers, who took Earl Morrall in 1956 and John Brodie in 1957. The 49ers traded Morrall to the Steelers before the 1957 season.

What does this history lesson tell us? NFL teams only take quarterbacks in back-to-back first rounds under the most extraordinary of circumstances. If Jaguars G.M. Gene Smith takes a quarterback in the first round a year after he took Gabbert 10th overall, he’ll be doing something NFL general managers just don’t do. But Gabbert might be bad enough to make the Jaguars do it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...aft-another-qb/

candyman92 #640507 12/16/11 06:29 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
oh please JAX. take Tannehill in your spot. please.

that would just be so funny to have the 2 QBs I disparaged the most in the season before their draft on one team. especially if Tannehill plays like Gabbert has this year (Tanny would not have the spread-offense excuse to fall back on though).

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I think Landry Jones would be more likely, but they can't possibly be that stupid... can they?

Oh wait, they traded up for Gabbert last year.

clevesteve #640509 12/16/11 06:39 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
just since we are discussing it. here are most people's opinions of Gabbert right after bowl season ended.

search for subject: "Gabbert at #6 pimp thread"

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/showflat.php?...true#Post775979

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Django was right, you were wrong.

Gabbert was picked #10.

clevesteve #640511 12/16/11 07:01 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Since you seem to be good at digging up old threads and posts....can you get me to the threads where EO pimped Everette Brown and laughed at me for mocking Connor Barwin with the Browns' 1st round pick? Thanks

Gabbert should have NEVER seen the field this season...even his biggest pimps knew and said that...now, I AM disappointed of his play regardless about his situation but it sure didn't help him

Just remember that folks laughed at me too after Barwin's rookie year (which was still pretty good from the bench) and now are nowhere to be found...in 2009 I traded down with the Jets like Mangini and mocked Barwin and then traded up to draft WR Nicks...who would trade Mack and Robo for even 1 of those today? Nobody

That said, I'm not as confident about Gabbert as I was 1 year from now but that's the risk you have and have to take with QBs as long as you don't have one....that's where lots of real life GM careers end

#gmstrong

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
BTW, I think I was pretty prophetic regarding McCoy looking closer to this old thread:

That's why I didn't want McCoy...because now his "believers" come out and say "let's give him more time, we need to see more"....let's not make the same mistake we did with BQ, Frye etc here...we passed on Roethli because of freaking Garcia, we missed on Flacco because we wasted on BQ, we then passed on Sanchez/Freeman because of BQ....let's not do this mistake again please....

Trust me, he's who this franchise needs...give the Hobbit and Wallace the #1 and #2 for 2011, let Gabbert learn (needs a whole season for propper mechanics)....and then let him take over when everyone has higher expectations and has seen enough of McCoy's limitations to pull us over an AVG team...that'd be my plan

What games have you been watching? He had a great drive against the Jets who played still him stupidly? They thought up by 7p the rook will force a mistake sooner or later and played VERY soft, so they played up to his strength, which is dink and dunk...I told everyone in the midst of the McCoy lovefest that the book will be out soon....Hillis wasn't magically slowed down, he was stopped by scheme....they didn't care about any thing beyond 15yds the LOS because they KNEW the ball would be in the air forever to recover the 1on1 CB or even make up the deepest S....he struggles with RZone throws too...I haven't seen a lot of solid RZ throws of him in 8 games....sure he scrambles on in here and there, he pitches a TD too...but long term that's not gonna cut it

His deficiencies were and will be exposed again in cold, windy weather....we are toast as soon as we're 2 scores down....the Jets game it was 1 score and he had enough time, that was a perfect scenario and HE DID WELL TOO, I'm not taking away anything....but it WAS a perfect sceanrio with a team that still hadn't figured him out (and let's be honest: their 2nd H gameplan worked perfectly before, so they thought: why change it? Let's not forget that McCoy was part of the reason why we were down by 7p anyway since we had no Offense before that last drive)

I understand why many like him and I DO LIKE HIM TOO...but nobody can convince me that he'll become a franchise QB....not even before those last 2 games and sure as heck not after those 2....why not? McCoy isn't the guy that folds when faced with a 1st round QB pick, it might be the kicker to make him even better, who knows?

If Holmgren thinks that Gabbert is a franchise QB...and he will LOVE him (Heckert too, if he liked Kolb...Gabbert is 10x the prospect)....then he should draft him

We won'r win the SB in 2011 and are a PO longshot with a new coaching staff etc....the reluctance of drafting a QB in the top is puzling to me....should I remind you that WE HAVEN'T HAD A LEGITIMATE FRANCHISE QB FOR DECADES NOW

Let's not waste another season or 2 "to find out" again on middling QB prospects...please?

#gmstrong

DjangoBrown #640514 12/16/11 07:53 PM
Legend
Legend
You're spot on about Colt.

I just hope you realize Gabbert is to much of a coward under any pressure to make a difference.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

just since we are discussing it. here are most people's opinions of Gabbert right after bowl season ended.

search for subject: "Gabbert at #6 pimp thread"

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/showflat.php?...true#Post775979

rofl @ my response to this..

"hell no..

refs delete this."

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) 2012 Draft

Link Copied to Clipboard