Legend
Legend
N
oh come on, harrison would never hit knees unless you put mini-helmets on them

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

While Claiborne would be a nice pick, I think there are more pressing needs. He would certainly help Haden but we need some more weapons on the offense or protection on the line.

So...Let's say we get burned on getting 1 for Luck because we have a limit on what we're offering...And make no mistake about it...We will be offering...

We sit at 4 and Luck/Kalil/Blackmon go 1-2-3...

What do we go with for an Offensive Weapon or OT...Cause noone in their right mind goes Guard at 4...

I have a feeling your answer is going to fall into a major mistake category...Drafting for NEED in the Top 10...

Who's your pick???

Go Browns!!!
C
Legend
Legend
C
Seems like Trent Richardson might fit need and BPA.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

We can argue all we want about if it's the right thing or not, but the fact is, Andrew Luck will be a Cleveland Brown next year.

You think part of reasoning for trading down last year to pick up another 1 this wasn't to give us more ammo to move up for Luck if we needed to?

Holmgren will want Luck. Holmgren will give up what is necessary to get that pick.

I'm telling you now, Andrew Luck will be a Cleveland Brown in 2012.

And I'm sure you're going to be here to complain that we gave up too much, but it's happening.

YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!!!!

That;s ALL I want for Xmas...

Holmgren is gonna be running outta time on his 5 year contract...This is year 3 coming up...And if we don't secure the QB that will be planted as our "Run with Starter"...He'd then be looking at year 4 to do it...And he'd be expecting that QB to do something PLAYOFF wise in his 2nd year...That's TOUGH unless it's a Luck type talent...And there just isn't another QB of Luck's caliber in the next 2 or 3 drafts...

U secure the FACE OF CLEVELAND...
U draft wisely the next 2 years...
U utilize FA wisely the next 2 years...
U re-sign key players ala Thomas/Haden/Rubin/Taylor/Sheard etc...
Year 4 u r IN THE PLAYOFFS...
U r right with Pitt and Baltimore again for once...
Year 5 u r FIGHTING FOR A RING...
Years beyond 5 u r CONSTANTLY fighting for RINGS beyond the Holmgren era...

Luck is the KEY...

Can it be done WITHOUT going after Luck???...Sure can...But Luck accelerates the process and solidifies the unquestioned most important position on any team in this league...

Go Browns!!!
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

And WHEN exactly is the right time Pete???

When you've built a team that's 8-8 or 9-7 and you're drafting 22nd???...

To be blunt ......YES.....

Where did GB get Rogers??? Pitt get Ben????

If you are going to give up first rounders to move up.... then you better be sure that you are not in dire need of those picks in order to succceed.....If QB is just one of the few pieces left instead of one of almost every position like we are now....you have several things

---the QB comes into a stable situation...the system has been around for some time and the team knows it...
---the team AROUND the QB has some talent and the QB doesn't have to carry the team right out of the gates as he is trying to learn the NFL
---you might not even HAVE to start him right away...if your vet QB is manageable
---you are not put into a position where you have gone bankrupt in your ability to draft help for the QB to succeed....You haven't mortgaged the future to get him because even if you gave up 3 first rounders....He was One of the LAST pieces and not the first...the pieces to help him succeed ARE ALREADY ON THE TEAM.

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

The amount of people on this board who undervalue the Quarterback position is amazing to me...

I would rather not spend 3 #1 draft picks and RUIN Andrew Luck because we can't put a team around him...Because I DO value the QB position THAT MUCH....I would rather WAIT until QB is one of the last few pieces of the puzzle that we need...(and we are so far away from that scenario we can only dream about it) And THEN gamble with the draft picks to get the Big Arm....But if we cannot put the Big Arm into a semi stable situation...all we are going to do is set him up for failure and get him onto the top ten draft bust lists you see on NFL Network.

So in reference to your quote.....the amount of people who would gamble away our only chance at building our team only to set a good player up for failure....amazes me.

I understand your position. To play devils advocate, you might need to get the qb while you are in position to do so.

It's a lot easier sitting at 4-5 then if you wait until you are drafting in the 20's.

JMO

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Where did GB get Rogers??? Pitt get Ben????

GB didn't need a QB...Luxury pick that's panned out incredibly all around...
Pitt took a chance on a QB that wasn't highly touted and again is NOWHERE NEAR the caliber of Luck...

We do it your way and we're looking at a HIGH probability of failing to acquire a QB that can be anywhere near a GAME CHANGER...I know u know this...The lower in the draft a QB goes the less likely they r to be a solid QB...Of course there's those FEW that succeed...But u know damn well there's TONS MORE that don't at those lower slots...

Again...This team can add weapons and build the D even without the picks needed to be aggressive and go get Luck...

This gonna be a GREAT off-season on the boards...Numerous things to be debated...NASTILY at times...

It's all good...We're winners regardless what way we go...We get Luck and we r on our way...We KEEP the 2 firsts we have and we end up with a STUD at 4 or 5...(Claiborne or Blackmon)...And another solid player at 20+...And if we're SMART we go with Claiborne because I'm POSTIVE Blackmon's a Ram or Vike...Hell...Indy would take him at 2 with that OLD core they have...Wayne...

Our priority with Claiborne at 4 should be to follow it up with a WR or LB with Atlanta's pick...Good ones will be there...Then go the other in 2 and an OT worthy of STARTING DAY ONE in 3...I'd be ECSTATIC with that too...

Go Browns!!!
B
1st String
1st String
B

Quote:

Oliver Luck said that Andrew will make all decisions on issues such as the selection of an agent, the choice of a marketing representative, and pre-draft planning. ”I’ll give him some advice but I’ll try to take a subdued role in all of it,” Oliver Luck said

So....yeah.

And why do you think that invalidates what I said earlier. Of course his dad isn't going to come out and say "we won't play for team X" at this point, but that "I'll give him advice" sure sounds to me like they are going to make sure he gets into a good situation. His dad was an NFL QB. He knows what it takes to succeed in the NFL and what situation will let his kid excel and he is going to steer him that way. I am not saying he won't come here, but i am saying I wouldn't bet against Luck having some some say in what team he goes to.

B
1st String
1st String
B
With the new CBA, you can draft a bit more for need. People here seem to forget that the CBA changed everything in the draft, as now top 5 picks are super cheap (Newton got like $5 mil/year guaranteed). It used to never make sense to draft a RT or say ILB top 5 because of the cost, but now it is far cheaper to draft that guy at #5 than to sing an even average pklayer in FA. I think the entire view of drafting is going to change over the next few years because of this.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

With the new CBA, you can draft a bit more for need. People here seem to forget that the CBA changed everything in the draft, as now top 5 picks are super cheap (Newton got like $5 mil/year guaranteed). It used to never make sense to draft a RT or say ILB top 5 because of the cost, but now it is far cheaper to draft that guy at #5 than to sing an even average pklayer in FA. I think the entire view of drafting is going to change over the next few years because of this.

Excellent point...

BPA according to NEED is very much in play now...

U still need to have 2 players very closely rated tho...Don't take your 10th rated player at 4 just because u have a need for said position...U miss on playmakers doing that...

Go Browns!!!
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
This draft seems to be playing out perfectly for a trade down for the Front Office Brass. With Barkley staying put and Miami and Washington in dire need, I can see a Move down as a Viable option to pick up more Top tier talent. If we can Pick up another First next year It will allow us another year to evaluate McCoy and do a better job of surrounding him with pieces and another year in the system.
I would not mind if we went OT with the first pick, but Jeffrey or a DE might be a viable option too. As it stands right now with a trade down I would go either.
1.)Jeffrey/Reif
1b)Burfict/Curry

This is assuming Blackmon will be gone. I can see Richardson because it is apparant that Hardesty is not a Lead Back the only Hinge would be Hillis. I just don't like creating a hole. I would like to think they will both be back and healthy next year.

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Quote:

1. Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU
1. Zach Brown, LB, UNC
2. Dwight Jones, WR, UNC
3. Levy Adcock, OT, Oklahoma State
4. Matt Reynolds, OT, BYU
4. Jarius Wright, WR, Arkansas
5. Doug Martin, RB, Boise State
6. Derrick Moye, WR, Penn State
7. Vaughn Meatoga, NT, Hawaii

It's hard to criticize this draft because we do have so many holes. But I think we need a playmaker and OL help up higher, a QB we can at least develop (Tannehill, Cousins?) and a pass rusher to bookend Sheard. If Adcock fell to the third, that's be great, but I doubt he will. As for LBs, that seems like an area we can address in free agency. Last year, Poslusny and Nick Barnett were available. Guys like that come up. I think WR is a must in Round One. We can't count on finding a true stud in later rounds. They will be there, but they're not easy to spot.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I had a dream the Browns successfully traded up for Luck and here's what we did to get him:

Two first rounders this year, next year's #1, this year's #1 and 3 low round picks between this year and next year.

This was a dream, mind you, but I'd be willing to trade that king's ransom to get a franchise QB assuming Heckert and Holmgren feel that confident that Luck is a once in a generation player.

That said, I think we need to jump on the Ryan Tannehill train. Seems like a Holmgren pick.

Last edited by Ammo; 12/24/11 09:44 AM.
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
And then you woke up...Sounds more like a nightmare if you ask me.

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
Legend
Legend
j/c

To perhaps put things in one place, I have a question.

What exactly would you be willing to give up to move up to 1 and take Luck? 1sts this year only? Others from this year? Next year's picks? The following year's picks?

For me, I'd be willing to use picks from this year, but that's it.

I'd hate to land Luck, but then not be able to take any top flight talent in the next couple years to put with him, instead relying on the talent we have now and lower draft picks/FA.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
If folks want to suck for luck, I can't think of anything that would suck more than to dip into next years picks to get the guy.

#GMSTRONG
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Luck is an extrordinary College QB. He has worked in a Pro-style offense and is Far and above the other QB Talent in this class. I don't have to look too far back to see another QB that was far and above his class in Bradford. Bradford went to a talent deprived team who also had the benefit of playing in the worst division in the league. Would I give up Two firsts and next years and a bunch of picks in between to achieve the same results..absolutely not. I wouldn't bite on any move up and that is just me. I know that QB's get ruined when they go to talent deprived teams, not the other way around. I would put the talent here and continue building the team. If #1 overall pick Bradford can't make his team better in two years in that division without trading up to get him and regressed I can't expect McCoy or Luck or anyone to have different results. No Thanks, I would never do it.

Legend
Legend
Good points on Bradford, hadn't thought of it that way. As you can see from my sig, I'm all about us getting Blackmon, though I fear we'd have to trade up to get him, too.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
I like Blackmon..He won't be around when we pick though. I would rather trade Dallas a pick for Dez Bryant. I would trade next years first for him or two seconds. Take into consideration the learning curve for Receivers..Green being an exception. It is usually their third year they make the impact they are supposed to. That would give us a Weapon, get Desean Jackson and draft OT and I think we would be Okay.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
I'm thinking the two No.1's this year, the No.2 this year. That's about it. We would only be losing a 1 and a 2.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Luck is an extrordinary College QB. He has worked in a Pro-style offense and is Far and above the other QB Talent in this class. I don't have to look too far back to see another QB that was far and above his class in Bradford.

And Bradford didn't play in a Pro-Style Offense, he was a shutgun conversion prospect....there goes your analogy

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
The best "mix" imho would be the 2x 1st and 1x4th THIS draft and 2nd rounder 2013

but I suspect we will have to pay 2x1st + 4th AND next year's 1st, net cost would be the ATL pick in the 1st and 4th and our 1st next year, combined with the ATL deal last year our net cost would "only" be our 2013 1st rounder....that's pretty much the most I'd be willing to give up, but I'd do it

#gmstrong

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Quote:

Luck is an extrordinary College QB. He has worked in a Pro-style offense and is Far and above the other QB Talent in this class. I don't have to look too far back to see another QB that was far and above his class in Bradford.

And Bradford didn't play in a Pro-Style Offense, he was a shutgun conversion prospect....there goes your analogy

Coming from a guy that would take RG3..with the first pick? Really?

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
That scenario could be plausible although I'm not entirely sold on it. We could fill remaining hole this year and next through a commitment to spending in free agency. Also, with the high second this year we could go a couple directions and plug some holes.
I have noticed Reuben Randle( without checking I think that is his name), WR from LSU being rated high second on some sites but very little has been said on the board about him that I have seen. If we went with two 1s this year for luck we could probably get Randle with our 2 but I don't know much about him.
We could always hope the 1 we give up next year would be a late round pick. That would take the sting out of it.

Legend
Legend
David Wilson has all but announced his intentions to go to the NFL. He says he has his mind made up and will make his intentions known after the bowl game but his dad has heavily implied he's going pro and by David's words, it appears his dad isn't off base. I'm a big fan of his.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Coming from a guy that would take RG3..with the first pick? Really?

Yeah, really? Where did I say that?

I obviously want Luck with that 1st pick...I think I have stated many times in this thread that I don't have an opinion on RG3 either way yet...don't try to deflect your brainfart with stuff I didn't say, my point wasn't to defend Bradford or RG3...it was to reject your "analogy" and to defend Luck since he really doesn't compare much to Bradford

#gmstrong

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

This is DawgTalkers, we don't let facts get in the way of our arguments here!

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

I obviously want Luck with that 1st pick...I think I have stated many times in this thread that I don't have an opinion on RG3 either way yet...don't try to deflect your brainfart with stuff I didn't say, my point wasn't to defend Bradford or RG3...it was to reject your "analogy" and to defend Luck since he really doesn't compare much to Bradford

Of Course you do and you probably wanted Bradford and Jamarcus and Clausen and Quinn and Sanchez, etc. I don't have a brainfart my friend. The fact of the matter is they were viewed as "Elite" QB's. Thus the #1 pick in the draft. Anyway you spin it, Bradford being a number 1 pick on a bad team has translated as well as a third round QB on a bad team. Those are facts.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Or maybe it's not that Bradford doesn't have help. Maybe it's just that Bradford isn't any good?

I hated Bradford before the draft, and thought he was a waste of a pick. So far I've been right.

Legend
Legend
Ok, besides Steven Jackson, who else do the Rams have on offense?

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Besides Rob Gronkowski, who do the Patriots have on offense?

That guy named Tom Brady that makes everyone around him better.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Or maybe it's not that Bradford doesn't have help. Maybe it's just that Bradford isn't any good?

I hated Bradford before the draft, and thought he was a waste of a pick. So far I've been right.

Other than last year when he tore it up. Right now, Bradford has a moron of an offensive coordinator, a running back and nothing else. His offensive line is one of the five worst in the NFL. Bradford has played well.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
60% completions, 18 TD's and 15 INT's. 5.9 yards per attempt in the worst division in football. A division that had defensive ranks of 16, 25, and 30 in the NFL.

If that's "tearing it up," I don't want a QB that'll tear it up.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Colt McCoy played Pittsburgh, Baltimore, New England, New Orleans, etc. last year.

He completed 60.8% of his passes and 7.09 yards per attempt.

Did Colt McCoy "tear it up" last year?

If so, why give up on him, but give Bradford a pass?

They both suck.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yeah, because stats tell the story. It's pretty obvious you haven't watched Bradford at all.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Nope. Never. I make opinions on people I've never watched play. It's the DawgTalkers way, right?

Bradford sucks. He won't be a starting QB in 3 years.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Tell me how Bradford "lit it up" though.

*Edit - But I'm sure you won't, because when someone disagrees with you, all you do is try to tell them they're stupid and haven't watched, rather than giving reasons for your opinion.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Yeah, because stats tell the story. It's pretty obvious you haven't watched Bradford at all.

I think Sam Bradford is a turd.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

You haven't watched. I get paid for a fan site.

/Deep's response.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You haven't watched. I get paid for a fan site.

/Deep's response.

Yeah because I talk about my work so often. Show me one time I have mentioned that to help my argument.

Bradford has been incredibly accurate this year while making good decisions. He makes great pre-snap reads and does an excellent job of spreading the ball around. His wide receivers are open less than the Browns' are, and he is constantly running from pressure.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) 2012 Draft Continued

Link Copied to Clipboard