Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that we are going to have a lot of money to work with in free agency, or am I wrong?

If we go into free agency and pick up a WLB, DE, WR, and RT ...... not out of the realm of possibilities, then we could easily trade up if necessary for our QB, draft a CB, (a position of depth and quality in this draft) grab another WR, (another position with quality depth from everything I have read) backup DT, and another OL for depth.

We could have a dramatically improved team in just a few months ... even if we have to give up some picks to ensure that we get the QB we want. (if that's what the front office decides that want to do)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree.

The key to our improving is what we do in FA, not what we do in the draft.

We have to get 3-4 GOOD players.

If we go after 2nd tier guys it tells me this bunch isn't serious about winning any time soon.

We have to target some positions in FA so we are free to draft the best players we can.

If we are stuck trying to plug 4-5 holes come draft day, the season is over in April, just as it has been for a decade now.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Well, we need to get both right. We need to plug some holes in free agency so that we can make whatever moves we deem necessary to get the premium players we want at premium positions.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. I didn't intend to make it sound like the draft isn't important.

I am just saying we have to get several starting caliber players for next year and it isn't going to happen in the draft.

We may find 3-4-5 guys in the draft who will work in to that role, but we have to start winning NOW....not 2-3 years from now.

We need just a few more proven players and a few less drafted guys with potential playing on first string.

I am all in on free agents this year. Get a boat load and pay the 2-3 targets whatever it takes to bring them home.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I think that Free Agency *always* sets the stage for the Draft (last year being the exception). You just cannot and do not plan for the Draft in a bubble... it's one of the reasons that I tend to dislike Draft talk this early. You can talk all you want right now, but everything is going to get turned on its head within seven days of free agency starting.

You also just have to be smart in your shopping - something that we don't really have a demonstrated history of.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
what big name free agents have made huge impacts lately?

I only want to address the o-line w/ Free Agency.. and maybe LB.. The rest of the positions.. i wanna get better w/ the draft.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
For one, who said anything about "big name"? And why does the impact have to be "huge"?
It's about fixing holes & shoring up weaknesses, not stacking yourself with All Pro's at every spot.

Secondly, for us, or elsewhere?

For us: Steinbach was a pretty damn good signing. Jureviscious was, too, while he was healthy. Gocong and Fujita have both been good signings (though some on here will poo-poo the Fujita comment).

For others: How about the Saints signing Darren Sproles? How about.... hell, how about half of all free agents signed everywhere?

Browns is the Browns

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I think that Free Agency *always* sets the stage for the Draft (last year being the exception). You just cannot and do not plan for the Draft in a bubble... it's one of the reasons that I tend to dislike Draft talk this early. You can talk all you want right now, but everything is going to get turned on its head within seven days of free agency starting.

You also just have to be smart in your shopping - something that we don't really have a demonstrated history of.

I agree. Unfortunately it is the only talk over the last 5 years that gets people excited, except for the coaching changes.

No doubt you need to shop smart, but it is to the point once we key in on a few players we need to make sure we have the high bid.....the price you pay for crappy drafting.

To Turk....it doesn't have to be BIG name players, but they have to be players.

As for immpact, they don't have to be all-pros.....just solid starters...something we lack.

I don't like paying top money for solid guys. It would be better if we got to pay solid money, but we have to get better....and the league is changing. We need to jump on the first wave.

In another year teams are going to find out they are going to have to pay some of these guys more money then accustomed to due to the CBA. They can't decide to play under the cap as they could before. The money has to be spent.

As for positions, I wouldn't preclude any position from potential upgrade via free agency.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

For one, who said anything about "big name"? And why does the impact have to be "huge"?
It's about fixing holes & shoring up weaknesses, not stacking yourself with All Pro's at every spot.

Secondly, for us, or elsewhere?

For us: Steinbach was a pretty damn good signing. Jureviscious was, too, while he was healthy. Gocong and Fujita have both been good signings (though some on here will poo-poo the Fujita comment).

For others: How about the Saints signing Darren Sproles? How about.... hell, how about half of all free agents signed everywhere?

Steinbach was a great signing. And the reason why I want to address the oline through free agency.

Gocong was not a free agent.. he was traded here along w/ Brown.. But again.. both were good pickups..

Fujita has been a solid contributor. He's solid against the run.

I'll have to give Heckert his props.. The guys he has brought in have helped out this team. But the problem is offense. Offensively, what can we do to get better through free agency?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
If we get Luck, we will not have a round 2 pick this year - you can basically book that.

~Lyuokdea
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Sproles. Julius Peppers.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Sproles. Julius Peppers.

there was also this guy. a QB. think he had a couple probowl years in SD before he hit free agency.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

If we can get Luck or RG - for a decent trade of picks - fantastic! But if we do, they'll still be behind basically the same line, with basically the same receivers trying to catch the ball, with the same lack of a running game.

This is where u r out in left field...

U r saying we CAN'T upgrade RT...Which we COULD in 3 or 4...Even round 2...THIS YEAR...

We may just resign Hillis...

A WR can be had also via Draft or FA...

It CAN be done...

And, conversely, we COULD upgrade our qb through free agency, save our picks for some of the other myriad holes we have, and be an improved team. Right?

My only point is: Why dump so, so many picks for one guy? We need help at a lot of positions. If the price for Luck or RG is too high (as in both firsts this year, a second this year, and next years first), why not upgrade other positions with our OWN picks this year, then see what transpires with the team, knowing we still have next years first round.

After all - a guy that many on here were pimping as "better than Luck" will be in the draft next year, right?

If luck or RG is available this year, take them. With in reason. Face it - 1 player isn't going to make us a super bowl team in year one, 2, or probably even 3.

If we sell out to get luck or rg - we hamper our future drafts as well as this years draft.

That's really it. I don't see anyone, ever, that is worth 3 first round picks and a second rounder, especially for a team like the Browns.

I'm NOT anti Luck. I'm NOT anti RG. I'm NOT pro Colt. I'm all for sensible drafting.

Legend
Legend
Worse yet, if you sell out to get Luck this year, then you are set back at least two years with a drastically reduced ability to improve yourself via the draft. You'd have ONLY free agency to improve and backfill holes from guys leaving. So, now you're emptying the coffers for free agents and the only young talent coming in is from mid and late rounds... all at the expense of one player.

It's absolutely stubborn and foolhardy at this point, IMO. A huge negative.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
yeah, what arch said.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/C,

The expectations for Andrew Luck for this level are astronomical.

I should think that he will have a lot of pressure trying to live up to those quite lofty expectation, but if he has a chance to watch how the Master operates for a few seasons I think that he will be better prepared to slay his demeans and carve out a nitch for himself in this League not unlike Aaron Rodgers has been able to do.

You think that Luck is under the micro scope now ... then wait and see how much more that becomes focused on if there is a mega trade for his services.

Part of me actually feels sorry for him (well he will be a millionaire, so not so much) if this happens.

Like LBJ being compared to Jordan.
It's really not fair, and yet comparisons will be made.

And as sure as I am sitting here if there was ever a team that could get a dud from a box of select loads ... Then that would be our beloved Browns.

[Linked Image]

A
Legend
Legend
A
100% agreed.

Often times I have felt sorry for Luck (not from a future financial standpoint mind you), but he's going to have the weight of the world put on him - unless he comes to Cleveland. If that happens, it will be the weight of the universe.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
and he'll have exactly 3 games to realize that potential.

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

and he'll have exactly 3 games to realize that potential.

All in the preaseason.....

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

If we can get Luck or RG - for a decent trade of picks - fantastic! But if we do, they'll still be behind basically the same line, with basically the same receivers trying to catch the ball, with the same lack of a running game.

You will be amazed at how improved our offense will look with ONE top end WR and a legit QB. It makes Little our #2, Cribbs our #3 and Massa our #4 with Norwood also in the rotation. With a real QB and one new guy to push our other receivers to their natural spots our QB will look better, our WR will look better, and magically with a real passing game our OLine and RB will look better too.

Two players. Even if we trade up for Luck (which is 1 of the 2 players) we have enough ammo to get the other guy either as a mid round draft pick (think 2nd or 3rd round whichever we still have after the trade) or via FA. I'm not talking about us needing Jerry Rice here either. We just need someone who runs precise routes (needed for the WCO) has good hands (he's a WR after all) and has some speed to be the deep threat required to stretch the defense. A guy like Mohamed Sanu in the 2nd round fits that bill.

Quote:

And, conversely, we COULD upgrade our qb through free agency, save our picks for some of the other myriad holes we have, and be an improved team. Right?

If any FA QB were as good as Luck, yes we COULD. Problem. None of em are. No not even "future hall of famer" Matt Flynn. If we want to finally fix our QB problems for the next decade this off-season we have 1 choice. If we want to wait another 10-20 years to find a guy this good again...or choose to just continue running out "adequate" QBs (whether that's Wallace, McCoy, Flynn, Tannehill etc) then we have lots of options.

Quote:

After all - a guy that many on here were pimping as "better than Luck" will be in the draft next year, right?

Huh? Matt Barkley would have squarely been the #2 QB in this years draft. He'll most likely (but not for sure) be the #1 QB in next years draft....but he is no Andrew Luck. Luck was the sure-fire #1 pick in LAST YEARS draft while Barkley wasn't even in the conversation. Luck is the undisputed #1 pick in this years draft while Barkley was a clear cut #2. Luck would be the clear #1 pick in NEXT YEARS draft if he weren't coming out. Barkley will be in the #1 talk argument (with no Luck) with some other guys also in the running. There is a big difference between the two.

That's like saying "hey we don't HAVE to go draft LeBron James. After all, we can just get Luol Deng next year instead." He's a good player in his own right, but it's not even comparable.

Quote:

Face it - 1 player isn't going to make us a super bowl team in year one, 2, or probably even 3.

Well it won't be just 1 player. As has been said now almost a hundred times. We'll have other draft picks every season AND free agency every season. Even if we give up both 1st's plus a mid rounder THIS year for Luck....we'll be adding Luck + 1 or 2 starting caliber players from the top 4 rounds in the draft + 1 or 2 starting caliber players via FA. So it's more like Luck + 2 to 4 starters each year.

And even with those #'s no, he isn't leading us to the super bowl in year one and most likely not in year 2 (but playoffs seem like a realistic goal)...but if we make the playoffs in year 2, super bowl talk could be a distinct possibility by year 3 for sure.

Quote:

If we sell out to get luck or rg - we hamper our future drafts as well as this years draft.

No. We don't. You act as if 1st round draft picks are ALL we get. Welp, if we trade our 1sts then we might as well just not draft anybody because that's all that counts. You do realize NFL starting talent is readily available in the first 3-4 rounds of every draft right? For every guy you "miss" on in those rounds you hope to find a "gem" in rounds 5-7 and UDFA to make up for it. We can still add people via the draft even after a trade like this.

Quote:

That's really it. I don't see anyone, ever, that is worth 3 first round picks and a second rounder, especially for a team like the Browns.

A once in a generation type franchise QB is worth MORE than that...to ANY team in the NFL including the Browns.

Quote:

I'm NOT anti Luck. I'm NOT anti RG. I'm NOT pro Colt. I'm all for sensible drafting.

And I'm all for finally fixing the QB position so we can actually win games and talk about our playoff match-up every January instead of bickering about the draft!

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
Legend
Legend
I can't wait for the day when we have a legitimate superstar QB in this town. It has been so long since we have had one that people have forgotten just how much of an impact a legitimate superstar QB can have on a team.

A
Legend
Legend
A
I"m not going to quote your whole post. Bear with me, I'm just going to comment on some of your remarks.

You seem sure - SURE - that this kid, Luck - is a guaranteed all pro. Why? Because he "seems" that way in college? You're willing to trade 3 first round picks for a chance?????? That's crazy, given the recent history of first round qb picks. Not only crazy, but insane really.

And with that said - if we can make a 1 for 1 swap, and throw in a second rounder - go for it. Okay? I'm not anti Luck - I'm PRO Browns. It should be simple to understand.

Also, you state we can improve our line, our receivers, etc, in rounds 2-4. While that often times is true - is it not also true that at times second round qb picks, or 6th round qb picks (think Tom Brady here), can also be good?

Or how about this: we trade our 3 firsts and a second for Luck. Next year we go 6-10. Shurmer gets fired. We get a new head coach, a new offense, a new defense, and the following year we go 6-10. Have we improved? How nice would it have been to have those draft picks?

So we enter year 3 with luck - and go 8-8. By that time, most on here are calling for Lucks head saying "what a wasted pick he was".......look at team X - they drafted a guy and went 8-8 is first year,,,,,,,,,,,,etc, ad nauseum.

Meanwhile - having missed 2 years of a first round pick, we go back to sucking again

LIke I said - I'm not anti Luck - nor am I pro Colt. I'm only saying let's not toss 2 years of picks away.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

I can't wait for the day when we have a legitimate superstar QB in this town. It has been so long since we have had one that people have forgotten just how much of an impact a legitimate superstar QB can have on a team.

As I've said before - put Aaron Rodgers on this years team. Keep the bad snaps on field goals the same, the blow ups on special teams the same - and we end up 5-11 or maybe 6-10.

That's a superstar, right?

Hell, a qb that has 2 starts in his life threw for how many yards playing for the packers?????????? He's a super star? You mean to tell me the packers go from super star Favre, to super star Rodgers, to super star Flynn...........and the surrounding cast gets no credit????????? Honestly?

Legend
Legend
If you honestly believe that with Rodgers this year we'd even be in position to lose to STL by a FG then I don't even know what your evaluation of a QB is...

And that's just that one game...

Rodgers on this team, this year, And we are contending for a playoff berth...

Also...

People want to talk about our running game being bad... In 07 we threw to open up the run... This year we COULDN'T THROW... So noone had to be concerned with it... Not that would effect our run game though right?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
If we have Aaron Rodgers on this team we aren't relying on last second drives and FG tries against teams playing 1st time starters and washed up backups at QB.

I'm not saying that we would be a Super Bowl team this year. With an Aaron Rodgers instead of Colt McCoy, we would have won probably 9-10 games. We should have won 8 with McCoy. We played 4 teams using their backup QBs. 5 if you consider that the Steelers had to use Batch for part of our 1st game with them. We had about as easy a schedule as we could have hoped for, and crappy QB play all season long.

Yeah .... we would have won 9 or 10 games with Aaron Rodgers, and we would have won 7 with "just" a real, average, NFL caliber QB.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

[

As I've said before - put Aaron Rodgers on this years team. Keep the bad snaps on field goals the same, the blow ups on special teams the same - and we end up 5-11 or maybe 6-10.

That's a superstar, right?

Hell, a qb that has 2 starts in his life threw for how many yards playing for the packers?????????? He's a super star? You mean to tell me the packers go from super star Favre, to super star Rodgers, to super star Flynn...........and the surrounding cast gets no credit????????? Honestly?

Yes..The QB gets all the blame and credit. It has nothing to do with anything else. I think Rodgers goes 16-0 on this years Browns! Rogers hands off to Oby, Marecic plows the way for 20 yard chunks at a time! Rogers throws to Jordan Cameron! TD! Rodgers throws to Robiskie deep down the sideline with 10 yards separation...TD! On top of it he makes Pashos a Pro-Bowl alternate! If you substitute Flynn there is no doubt we are in the Super Bowl!

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

I've come to the conclusion that I'd be completely fine with us trading both of our 1sts and a 2nd to get Luck. I'd even be fine with a 3rd and 4th from this year as well.

For all we know those picks may be used by our regime to draft more studs like Veikune or Robiske, so I'd rather get the "sure" thing.

However, if we have to give up 1st or 2nd round picks from future drafts, I think the price becomes too high since it'll make it harder for us to surround Luck with talent.

Worst case scenario (as I see it), is we sit where we are and take RG3 if he is there, draft a deep threat WR with our other 1st rounder and go from there.

While RG3 is more risky than Luck (the same can be said for pretty much every QB prospect since Manning), I still think he'll be an All-Pro QB so I'm fine with either option.

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Quote:

You make a change like that and you can't assume the bad snaps and special team blowups still occur. Everything changes.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

You make a change like that and you can't assume the bad snaps and special team blowups still occur. Everything changes.

Stop trying to use logic as it relates to a discussion about the Browns draft...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

If we have Aaron Rodgers on this team we aren't relying on last second drives and FG tries against teams playing 1st time starters and washed up backups at QB.

I'm not saying that we would be a Super Bowl team this year. With an Aaron Rodgers instead of Colt McCoy, we would have won probably 9-10 games. We should have won 8 with McCoy. We played 4 teams using their backup QBs. 5 if you consider that the Steelers had to use Batch for part of our 1st game with them. We had about as easy a schedule as we could have hoped for, and crappy QB play all season long.

Yeah .... we would have won 9 or 10 games with Aaron Rodgers, and we would have won 7 with "just" a real, average, NFL caliber QB.

Get over it dude!!!! We won 4. Throw in a missed field goal due to a snap, we have 5 wins. Throw in a screwed up d against cincy, we have 6 wins. Throw in the screwed up special teams against (I forget who), we're at 7 wins.

You think Rodgers tackles, plays d, snaps?

Gees.

That's 7 wins without even talking about having NO running game. Without even talking about how many drives were killed by dropped passes. How many of those would've ended up in points?????? I don't know, and you don't either.

I get it - you hate Colt. I understand it, just as everyone here does. We get it.

I don't love Colt - but I do look at the TEAM - that seems to be something you can't do. You want to trade the plow horse for a new plow..........sorry bud, I ain't trading 3 first round picks for ANYONE.

YOU sit and polish your new plow after you put a hole in the horses head while the Browns are out working the new horses to pull their old plow.........you spend all your "money" (draft picks), while the Browns get their new horses trained and they can plow twice as much as they did before.

YOU sit the next year polishing your new plow while the Browns keep on getting newer plows because they have the money (picks).

Legend
Legend
You seem to think that no other QB could be better than McCoy.I get that. Just because you think so does not make it so.

With a different QB under Center the entire game changes completely. Situations that existed with McCoy playing no longer exist.

The Colts thought that they had the QB position well covered when Manning went down. They thought they had a team that would still compete for the playoffs, even without Manning. They didn't. They tried 3 different QBs, and finally #3 put a little life into the team.

I bet that, if Manning is able to come back healthy next year, that team returns to the playoffs. Yeah, the QB is that important.

What do you think would have happened with the Colts if they would have been able to have Aaron Rodgers start for them from day 1?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

What do you think would have happened with the Colts if they would have been able to have Aaron Rodgers start for them from day 1?

Well before I answer this hypothetical scenario, I'm going to state that for it to be accurate, we'll have to assume EVERYTHING would happen the same way, even though everything would be different...

So I would assume, with everything happening the same way, that then, everything would happen the same way...

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Quote:

God, I hate it when arch is right

~Lyuokdea
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Quote:

God, I hate it when arch is right

Yeah, One would think that should have been the dagger that killed this little spat.

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

You seem to think that no other QB could be better than McCoy.I get that. Just because you think so does not make it so.

Never said that - so please stop making things up. Please. I did say we don't win many more games - but quit your b.s. dreaming/putting words in my mouth. If you can't discuss what I said, don't discuss.
Quote:

With a different QB under Center the entire game changes completely. Situations that existed with McCoy playing no longer exist.

I don't know about that, but okay.
Quote:

The Colts thought that they had the QB position well covered when Manning went down.

No they didn't. Where in the hell do you get that from? There isn't a person alive that follows football that believes that. Seriously, you aren't even grasping at straws with this statement, you're grasping at the semi barreling past you at 70 mph carrying the raw material that makes straws.
Quote:

They thought they had a team that would still compete for the playoffs, even without Manning. They didn't. They tried 3 different QBs, and finally #3 put a little life into the team.

There is no way in hell anyone thought this..........seriously, you follow football????????????? There is not a sole alive that thought, when they found out Manning was out for the season, that the team would compete for anything other than a few wins. Put the pipe down, or tone down your meds. You're speaking foolish here.

Honestly.
Quote:

I bet that, if Manning is able to come back healthy next year, that team returns to the playoffs. Yeah, the QB is that important.

I'll lay you money if Manning comes back they don't compete for the playoffs. PM if interested in that bet.
Quote:

8-8.?

Totally different system. Totally different players.

Same thing - totally healthy Manning goes to the pack this year - might be 11-5. Totally different system, totally different players.

See, you seem to think the qb drives the team. I feel the qb (while a decent one is needed, no doubt), but I think experience plays a huge role - not just nfl experience - but rather experience in the team.

What did the all pro Palmer do in oakland this year?

What did Montana do when he played in kc (I honestly don't know - I might be spiting myself here - care to tell me what montana did - like I said, I honestly don't know)

Legend
Legend
No .... Aaron Rodgers ..... and exactly same players as the Colts have, except for the QB.

How many games do they win?

I bet they would have won 12-13 games. The team didn't change much from the playoff team of a year ago ..... except that they lost their QB.

So ...... with the exact same team, only adding Aaron Rodgers, how many games do you think that the Colts would have won? Do you think that they would have gone winless?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

You've obviously never had a conversation with Doc Brown on the intricacies of time travel and time lines...

Last edited by OSGuy; 01/04/12 06:40 PM.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Montana went 8-3 and then 9-5 with the KC Chiefs.

Of course, the Chiefs went 10-6 in both of the 2 seasons before Montana as well, so it wasn't all him ('91 team coached by Marty w/ Cowher at DC and Dungy/Edwards as assts).

the '93 team (first w/ Montana) featured Paul Hackett as OC and Mike McCarthy as an offensive asst.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
and Montana NFL football 94 for Genesis featured a single game I played where Eric Metcalf accumulated over 2000 all-purpose yards.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You've obviously never had a conversation with Doc Brown on the intricacies of time travel and time lines...

Unfortunately, I would be lying if I said I had that conversation. I believe you are correct.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Atlanta and Draft Order Part V

Link Copied to Clipboard