Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368
J
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
J
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368
Falling back is a lot more fun.


Time to Reset
By John Roach, special to MSN Tech & Gadgets
Daylight-saving time starts early this year. Are you and your gadgets ready?

Congress extended daylight-saving time by three weeks in the spring and one week in the fall as part of a broad energy savings bill passed in 2005. The changes go into effect this year and may catch many of us unprepared, experts warn.

Potential problems range from missed school buses and dentist appointments to botched stock trades and operating room procedures.

Some people simply are unaware of the pending change and will fail to advance their watches. Others will encounter glitches due to our growing dependency on time-sensitive gadgets.

So make a note—of the pen and paper sort—and stick it on the fridge.

Then check if your computers and other devices are ready for the change. Many will not be, so action and awareness are advised.



This isn’t Y2K all over again. Still, software developers have been overly lax about the pending change, explains Ray [censored], a Forrester Research analyst in San Francisco who has studied the potential impact of the new daylight-saving policy.

"People think ‘Oh yeah, we went through Y2K, it was no big deal so why should we worry about this?’ " [censored] says. "And instead, because we have been less strict about watching for these kinds of issues, it's more likely that something could be left out the wayside."


Crossed Schedules
Some software applications are aware of the impending time shift, but others aren’t, according to Dave Thewlis, executive director of CalConnect, a McKinleyville, Calif.-based organization that focuses on making calendar and scheduling software from different technologies work together.

For example, Thewlis says, some computer operating systems have already fetched patches, but they may not apply to applications such as desktop calendars, which need their own fix.

"The ultimate impact is that events are scheduled an hour off,” he says. “It's not as though computers are crashing or the heavens are falling."

Still, though, the consortium advises people who use a digital calendar system to double-check any events scheduled between March 11 and April 1, especially teleconferences with colleagues in foreign countries.

For example, London will be four hours ahead of New York, not the usual five, for two weeks beginning March 11. But when London springs ahead on March 25, the normal time gap will return.

Closer to home: Even if your desktop calendar works properly, is your dentist aware of the change? Call ahead and ask.

If the security system at work is programmed to automatically unlock the doors at 9 a.m., will they be locked when you arrive? Bring a book, just in case.

Time-regulated stock trades could go awry. Check in with your broker.

You could miss the end of an online auction. Log on an hour early.

More worrisome: Unaware medical equipment could note the incorrect hour for a time-sensitive procedure in the hospital operating room.

"If those things don't get shifted for whatever reason, the impact could be big," Thewlis says.

Get Ready
Many gadgets such as cell phones, cable TV boxes and DVRs (like TiVo) are tied into a network with a master clock that already has been updated with the new daylight-saving rules. When time springs forward, they won't miss a beat.

Other devices have internal clocks that are pre-programmed to automatically adjust for the start and end of daylight-saving time. But many of these, such as Microsoft operating systems prior to Windows Vista, obey the old rules.

Microsoft and other vendors have issued patches to update some software versions with the new rules, but unless you get the updates automatically over the Internet you'll need to download them from the vendors' Web sites.

According to [censored], even people who have updated all their different products with the appropriate patches may experience glitches if their applications need to work together.

There is no standard way applications track time and adjust for changes to the clock, he explains. "The key thing is to make sure you have a good patching and testing strategy."

Some gadgets, of course, have no fix.

For example, automatic coffee makers pre-programmed to follow the old daylight-saving rules will brew an hour late unless the clock is manually adjusted. You'll need to reset the clock again the first Sunday in April.

And then there are all the gadgets that always need a manual adjustment when daylight-saving time starts and ends—your wristwatch, clock radio and VCR, for example. This year is no different. Remember to set them forward on March 11.

Thewlis of CalConnect recommends people conduct an inventory of all their time-sensitive gadgets. Are they daylight-saving time sensitive? Are they updated for the new rules?

"Keep a close watch on it," he says.


web page

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368
J
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
J
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368
Quote:

explains Ray [censored],






It kills me when people's names are censored.

His name is W.a.n.g.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,869
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,869
Yay for spring!

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,435
J
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
J
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,435
are we doing it early cause mr. groundhog didn't see his shadow this year?

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,869
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,869
[censored], is censored???

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,449
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,449
no, this is something Congress enacted last year. Daylight savings starts earlier and ends later now. Give us 'more' daylight during the normal waking hours... I just wonder why they don't just permanently shift us all forward one timezone and be done with it (of course that wouldn't really work, but we're darn near there already)


Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,124
B
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,124
At least they didn't chop an hour off the St. Patty's celebrations next Saturday!

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,813
I
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
I
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,813
Quote:

"Keep a close watch on it," he says.




This isn't the time for silly puns.


...always have been, always will be...
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368
J
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
J
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368
I'll second that.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,836
Steeler
Offline
Steeler
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,836
Quote:

Falling back is a lot more fun.




I've been waking up too early lately, so this time change will actually benefit me.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,813
I
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
I
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,813
Do we really need all these minute details?


...always have been, always will be...
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,950
C
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
C
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,950
Ya spring, time to Fish, work in the yard, plant the garden, burry the cats, shave to dogs, clean the camper, mow the lawn....ahhhhhhh it's 48 today and it's great.....common Spring...

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,908
OnB Offline
Bengal
Offline
Bengal
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,908
I hate springing forward!


[Linked Image from media.lehighvalleylive.com]
Birds of War
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 901
A
All Pro
Offline
All Pro
A
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 901
YOu'd really hate this if you lived in Alaska. It is just now gettting bearable. It gets light at 8am, and dark at 6pm. This is after a full winter of being dark the majority of the time. I hate HATE the moving back of this. I wish we would just ignore daylight savings.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,248
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,248
People just love to ruin hour pun threads.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,813
I
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
I
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,813
Yeah, it ticks me off.


...always have been, always will be...
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368
J
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
J
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368
Better watch it, he'll clock you.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,893
D
Legend
Offline
Legend
D
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,893
Quote:

Quote:

explains Ray [censored],






It kills me when people's names are censored.

His name is W.a.n.g.






Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,813
I
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
I
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,813
There are those who'd give him a hand for that...


...always have been, always will be...
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368
J
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
J
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368
I don't want to alarm anyone.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,813
I
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
I
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,813
Hey, they can chime in anytime.


...always have been, always will be...
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368
J
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
J
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368
Is that what your grandfather used to say?

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,813
I
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
I
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,813
Yeah but he was kind of kookoo.


...always have been, always will be...
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,449
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,449
Quote:

Better watch it, he'll clock you.




s'ok, she can take a lickin and keep on tickin


Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,813
I
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
I
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,813
See PPE's getting in gear.


...always have been, always will be...
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,950
C
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
C
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,950
Quote:

YOu'd really hate this if you lived in Alaska. It is just now gettting bearable. It gets light at 8am, and dark at 6pm. This is after a full winter of being dark the majority of the time. I hate HATE the moving back of this. I wish we would just ignore daylight savings.





Just a question here, What were ya going to do outside in alaska in March anyway..does it really matter.....i'm just fool'en with ya...

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 19,273
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 19,273
Quote:

Quote:

explains Ray [censored],






It kills me when people's names are censored.

His name is W.a.n.g.




Everybody [censored] chung tonight?


And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 330
D
1st String
Offline
1st String
D
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 330
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

explains Ray [censored],






It kills me when people's names are censored.

His name is W.a.n.g.




Everybody [censored] chung tonight?






[Linked Image from iveyfiles.com]
Determined
Worker
Intense
Good worker
Hard worker
Terrific
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,449
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,449
Quote:

Everybody [censored] chung tonight?




I now completely agree with it being censored



::shoves dark 80's memories back into the hole they belong in::


Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
sorry I missed the pun thread.. think you can wind it up again?


yebat' Putin
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,449
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,449
that'll teach you to be on time


Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
sorry, my hands were tied.


yebat' Putin
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,813
I
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
I
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,813
Quote:

sorry I missed the pun thread.. think you can wind it up again?




Second time around is just no good.


...always have been, always will be...
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,458
T
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
T
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,458
I never fell back, so everything is just coming full circle for me.


I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,563
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,563
When do we spring forward? the 11th?


<><

#gmstrong
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368
J
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
J
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368
Yes! 2:00 AM, don't forget everyone.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,718
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,718
What is a clock?

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,246
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,246
Wait, what are you tocking about?


I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,223
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,223
I hate springing forward. Don't get enough sleep during the night as it is. Grumble, grumble......


[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,449
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,449
I love it... I love the sun still being up late into the evenings. Being able to get home from work and still have daylight... can't beat it.


Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Don't forget to Spring Forward!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5